TNP Nation
Ethnon
Discord
Marcus Antonius #8887
f4UEI8F.png

sG8YGQy.png
Judiciary Elections - July 2019
by Marcus Antonius, Deputy Minister of Communications

The dust has settled on the second Judicial Elections of the season. An impressive total of 22 people were nominated for this election, and in the end, 7 candidates ran in the election. Let’s take a look at them.

@Eluvatar : Has extensive experience in NS, going back to 2006. Always a class act, Elu's campaign thread started with this wonderful ditty, which basically summed up his campaign.

Bravado's not my usual game
but here, I'll try it just the same.
I've been in this region for thirteen years,
let's better hope you can lend me your ears.

We've danced this dance many a time,
a couple of times, even, in rhyme,
but every time I ask for your vote
is never the time to mumble by rote.

From ancient Athens comes the name
for the rite we make the game.
The voice of the people may be odd
of all the things to make a god,
But Winston had it right, I say,
when saying it's the least worst way.

There's majesty and grandeur, see,
in writing down your vote for me.
Even if you vote abstain,
your ballot disfavoring my campaign,
Your participation in our game
will make me happy all the same.

I've voted, read, campaigned, for years
and yet will scream, to deafen ears:

VOTE!​

@Dreadton : Currently a Deputy Speaker in TNP and in RL is currently taking a degree in Legal Studies. His campaign relied a lot on his previously submitted Speaker campaign thread. One of the main things he likes about the way our court is structured is that there is a mechanism for Justices to review previous rulings without reopening the case. This falls in line with his belief that a person's beliefs and positions should be reviewed in light of new discoveries and facts. He does do not think anything should really change fundamentally with the judicial system. He thinks it is structured rather well.

@Gorundu : A relative newbie to TNP, Gurundu has had some experience in Judicial matters in UCR's. He believes the inherent advantage of electing someone new to the region is that they have not been in the region long enough to form bias, thus guaranteeing maximum impartiality. He sees the position of Justice as something about reliability and experience, and as such, he doesn't have any radical plans for the position of Justice, other than a return to timeliness and regular updates for the public.

@Wonderess : A past Speaker of the Regional Assembly and a well known Citizen of TNP. He describes himself as the philosophical and Catholic person of TNP. Unfortunately this has, at times, drawn negative attention to himself despite bringing effective service to this region and governed previous positions he has held efficiently. This may very well affect his chances in the vote.

@Lady Raven Wing : Though not experienced in the legal profession, TNP or RL, Lady Raven Wing ran a no joke campaign. What experience he does possess should still be useful. Much of that is in the more legislative area, notably pursuits in NS's own General Assembly, but also in real life Model UNs and Model (state) Assemblies. He chooses not to promise anything except promise to engage appropriately and efficiently as a member of the court, and do his due diligence in evaluating what decisions and cases are put before him.

@Dinoium : A previous Deputy Attorney General and holding legal positions in UCR's, Dino is a well known and popular Citizen in TNP. His campaign was long and detailed, mentioning his previous experience and referring to his previous Court campaign. He wishes to speed up due process and review RA bills and resolutions to check their legality. He will try to act as nonpartisan and unbiased as he can when reviewing matters. If something directly involves himself or calls for his recusal, He will formally recuse himself from such discussions.

@Lord Lore: Lore has been in TNP for just under 5 years. He has been a Justice before and is a serving Security Councillor. He believes himself to be a trustworthy person. He doesn't believe that making campaign promises is smart for a Court Justice and instead he just provided us his history in the region as a benchmark for why he should be a Justice. He has a fairly robust knowledge of TNP law and Precedent and is very actively aware of the need to be careful when setting Precedent. He is very active in his roles as Cartographer for Eras on the forum and as Security Councillor and he doesn't believe that Justice is outside of his current workload.

The Vote

Due to Lady Raven Wing, losing their citizenship the vote was closed with a new round of voting beginning immediately. At the time of the suspension of voting, Lady Raven Wing was in 5th place with 16 votes. The top three positions were held by Eluvatar, Lord Lore and Dreadton respectively. The main beneficiary of the withdrawal of Lady Raven Wing was Dreadton, gaining an extra 5 votes. Surprisingly Gurundu lost 6 votes, Lord Lore lost 5 votes and Dinoium lost 3 votes. This may have been due to voters not returning.

The final vote is shown below.
unknown.png

The Winners
s8y6lv0e2d411.jpg

Elu was delighted at hearing he came top in the polls

Eluvatar, Dreadton and Lord Lore won the election and are now TNP Justices. Congratulations to them and all who took part.

Conclusion

Eluvatar, Lord Lore and Dreadton clearly won due to their previous experience in the region and the courts. Dinoium was also a favored candidate in the election.

Last edited:
Remove the dashes after the colons. I think it could do with some expansion, specifically a little more about what they were running on, and mention of the restart in voting and how that compared to the first round of voting's results.

Remove the dashes after the colons. I think it could do with some expansion, specifically a little more about what they were running on, and mention of the restart in voting and how that compared to the first round of voting's results.
I have removed the offending dashes from the colons. I have expanded on the candidates. I missed the restart ;) so after a bit of counting of votes and some maths (thanks Ghost lol) I have made a comparison statement.

Just chiming in here: maybe for the last bit a better title would be "Conclusion" or "Bottom Line" instead of "Discussion"?

Back