Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Dreadton
Discord
Dreadton
“The first duty of a man is to think for himself”
― Jose Marti

In the few short months, I have been with the North Pacific and the Nation States as a whole, I have been excited to see a place where Democracy is more than a buzz word. While it is earlier then I intended, I have decided to run for the speakership and am campaigning for your vote.

Like Artemis, I do not offer any campaign promises, the Speaker is a servant to all, not just the majority pandered to with favors.

I invent everyone to pose questions to my candidacy and towards myself. I know I am an unknown within the region and invite everyone to ask any question they wish to get to know me.

Win or Lose, I look forward to speaking to you.

This seems like an interesting campaign. Good luck on your campaign.

As a side question, who will be your Deputies? What's your previous legislative history (if any)? And would you like to amend the Standing Procedures?

While it is earlier then I intended, I have decided to run for the speakership and am campaigning for your vote.

What led to your decision to run earlier than intended?

What is the current requirement to reach quorum, and to what votes does it apply?

What would you consider to be the most difficult duty of the office of the Speaker?

In the situation that a citizen fails a check by the vice-delagete, what happens next?

As a side question, who will be your Deputies? What's your previous legislative history (if any)? And would you like to amend the Standing Procedures?

@Dinoium

My position is that a Deputy should be someone you can work with and who can shore up your weaknesses.
Not to be pandering, but I would request Artemis for a Deputy. When I first discussed running for a speaker this term, she volunteered to answer any questions I have. If she is willing to do that with a potential opponent, how great will she be as a Deputy? She has done great in the speaker's position during her entire term and her experience would be a valuable asset in a speakership that is as unknown and young as mine.

I don't have much in legislative history in the game. Outside of the game, I have spent several months as a Bill Reviewer for an advocacy group I spent time with as a volunteer. Basically, I had to comb through Bills introduced to the State legislature, figure out how the changes affect current law and case laws, and determine their impact on the mission of the group. With over 300 bills submitted in a 3 month period, it could be a bit time-consuming.

RIght now I think the Standing Procedures are in a good position. However, we cannot predict the future and it makes be necessary to tweak them to address issues as they arise. But it is not something I would do lightly. Change for change sake can often lead to more issues.

What led to your decision to run earlier than intended?

What is the current requirement to reach quorum, and to what votes does it apply?

@King SillyString

I talked a bit about this on Discord. I personally believe that no one should run unopposed. Every candidate should face an opponent, for the simple fact that debate is often the best way to learn about the person running. I was planning on learning a bit more and doing more in the Regional Assembly before running, but the lack of opponent for the Speakers race gave me the push to take this chance.

Our voting procedure outlines a quorum as "To determine the participation of a quorum, the number of valid votes will be compared to the number of citizens who joined the assembly before voting began, have voted in at least one of the three most recent legislative votes, and maintained continuous citizenship for the entire duration of the announced voting period." Under my reading of our current laws, a quorum is needed for all votes, although there are provisions within the Emergency Code that may be executed to ensure the orderly operation of the Region during an emergency situation.

What would you consider to be the most difficult duty of the office of the Speaker?

In the situation that a citizen fails a check by the vice-delegate, what happens next?

@Artemis

I think that the most difficult duty of the office of the Speaker is ensuring that citizenship is properly assigned and maintained. Improper citizenship can compromise the entire legislative process and endanger our democracy.

In the event that a person applying for citizenship fails the vice-delegates check, the Regional assembly must begin debate immediately on the rejection. The Vice Delegate must introduce a motion to uphold the rejection and the Speaker must schedule the vote two days after the rejection occurs. Aye votes are cast in favor of upholding the Vice Delegate's motion, nays rejecting the motion. If the Regional Assembly upholds the decision, the Speaker must record the name of the individual as disqualified from holding Citizenship.

We saw this recently with Cormac.

You're running simply to give Artemis an opponent? This is worrying, since it implies you aren't running seriously, and that you expect to lose. Do you think that you are qualified enough to do your job if you do get elected as Speaker? Would you be able to dedicate your time and effort into your position?

I find that bills proposed in the Regional Assembly tend to be proposed by old members of the region, newer members tend to not propose legislation. Do you agree? If so, why is it this way? Is this good or bad? Should we be encouraging newer members to the region to propose legislation? If so, how?

You're running simply to give Artemis an opponent? This is worrying since it implies you aren't running seriously, and that you expect to lose. Do you think that you are qualified enough to do your job if you do get elected as Speaker? Would you be able to dedicate your time and effort into your position?

@BluieGamer

As I stated previously, I was not planning to run this early. The lack of opponent in this race, along with my belief that everyone should have an opponent, was just the catalyst that made me move sooner than I expected. As for not taking this seriously, I am not sure what gave you that impression. I have researched this role, on the forum, through the laws, along with talking to the current speaker, before declaring. At no time have I posted a half-hearted answer to any question presented to me. I hope that the answers I have given above, along with any of the answers I will give to the close of this campaign, shows that I am taking this seriously. As for qualifications, this is my first time running. I do not have previous experience in the administration of TNP. However, if you read my previous answers, I do have previous legislative experience.

Putting the time and effort into this position is not something I think will be an issue. Outside of work, I have very little demands on my time.

I find that bills proposed in the Regional Assembly tend to be proposed by old members of the region, newer members tend to not propose legislation. Do you agree? If so, why is it this way? Is this good or bad? Should we be encouraging newer members to the region to propose legislation? If so, how?

@Praetor

Wow, this is going to hurt some feelings.

As a new player to TNP, I was swamped with hundreds of telegrams the first few days, with a few exceptions, they were all invites to join a region. The Ministery within TNP send a welcome email inviting me to the page and some basic help, but for the most part, I was on my own to figure out how the game worked. When I finally joined the website and began posting, on my very first post discussing a WA resolution, I was publicly questioned if I was even a resident and it was implied that I was a puppet. While this was quickly put to an end by a senior member of TNP, it started a spat between my accuser and the other member. As a new poster to the forum, and being my first post, can you imagine how off-putting this was?

There is also a wealth of information a new player has to learn in order to keep up with what's going on in TNP and NationStates. Many experienced players do not seem to understand the learning curve the new player faces. It reminds me of when I started playing EVE online. You are basically thrown into the pool and told to swim. I felt the same way when I tried to get involved in the WA and at times here in the TNP.

I have also had the impression that NationStates and at times TNP is an old boys club. Elections are held but those who run are the same set of names from experienced players and this ties into my ealry statements. THose who have played for a while are overall better equiped to advance and interact with TNP and NationStates.Which is understandable with their expeirence and name regoniztion, but it can seem like an impossible barrier to break through.

Bringing new players into the Regional Assembly and have them interact outside the site proper is a challenge and TNP has tried to address it the best they can. It seems like there are always plans and ideas to bring new players into the fold but they don't seem to pan out. I have a few ideas on how to get new players more involved. I would say, that one of the very first telegrams a new player receives from TNP is a New Player Help telegram. Point them directly to the Discord and a guide on the basics of TNP and NationStates, along with the FAQ that is on NationStates proper.

Last edited:
@Praetor

Wow, this is going to hurt some feelings.

As a new player to TNP, I was swamped with hundreds of telegrams the first few days, with a few exceptions, they were all invites to join a region. The Ministery within TNP send a welcome email inviting me to the page and some basic help, but for the most part, I was on my own to figure out how the game worked. When I finally joined the website and began posting, on my very first post discussing a WA resolution, I was publicly questioned if I was even a resident and it was implied that I was a puppet. While this was quickly put to an end by a senior member of TNP, it started a spat between my accuser and the other member. As a new poster to the forum, and being my first post, can you imagine how off-putting this was?

There is also a wealth of information a new player has to learn in order to keep up with what's going on in TNP and NationStates. Many experienced players do not seem to understand the learning curve the new player faces. It reminds me of when I started playing EVE online. You are basically thrown into the pool and told to swim. I felt the same way when I tried to get involved in the WA and at times here in the TNP.

I have also had the impression that NationStates and at times TNP is an old boys club. Elections are held but those who run are the same set of names from experienced players and this ties into my ealry statements. THose who have played for a while are overall better equiped to advance and interact with TNP and NationStates.Which is understandable with their expeirence and name regoniztion, but it can seem like an impossible barrier to break through.

Bringing new players into the Regional Assembly and have them interact outside the site proper is a challenge and TNP has tried to address it the best they can. It seems like there are always plans and ideas to bring new players into the fold but they don't seem to pan out. I have a few ideas on how to get new players more involved. I would say, that one of the very first telegrams a new player receives from TNP is a New Player Help telegram. Point them directly to the Discord and a guide on the basics of TNP and NationStates, along with the FAQ that is on NationStates proper.
This moves away a bit from the position of the Speaker but this is an interesting post. Especially since in elections there is an often repeated refrain I find that our telegrams internally informing about the game are too annoying and need to be reviewed. As support, it is noted there have been complaints. Yet, most of the time, the complaints come from experienced players who have already been around and know how to play the game. Frequently a newer player will pop up in these discussions and note they found the telegrams helpful. So I appreciate your finding that the current telegrams are insufficient. Although I do find it interesting since I previously thought they were adequate (this is probably a better matter to be taken up with the incoming MoHA).

The accusation of you being a puppet was ludicrous and I was quite upset Madjack did so and after being called out, ignored the matter publicly. I do hope now that you have been in our community longer, you realize it most certainly is not representative of our community. NationStates definitely tends to be an old boys club, TNP is definitely lesser than other regions and we do try to note how quickly members can advance in the region (myself became a Minister about 4 months into the region, Ghost a couple of days, etc.). Always something to work on though. :)

I do appreciate your answer, however, I am asking about on getting new nations involved in the Regional Assembly directly through proposing changes to laws and in debates rather than getting them involved in the other parts of the region.

Another question, should you not be elected, would you be willing to serve as Artemis's Deputy should he be willing to have you?

Another question, should you not be elected, would you be willing to serve as Artemis's Deputy should he be willing to have you?

I would be happy to work under Artemis. For the very reasons listed in my earlier answer on who I would want as a deputy. I have also discussed with other members about working in the Ministry of Communication. So no matter what the vote, TNP is stuck with me for a while still.

Dreadton, I have to say, I am actually pretty impressed with what you've offered us here. Artemis is fantastic in the role but if you pull off a victory I think you could rise to the occasion. More players like you should step up, we'll be seeing you around these parts in the future I feel.

It's important to appreciate what you are saying about new players and how they feel when they start out and when they learn the ropes. It's always something we have to work on, and while I think TNP is really good about this, it's good to hear that feedback. Good luck to you, and I hope you pursue work in this office even if you don't win, and that we see you run another campaign if that is the case.

During your term of Speaker, will you take a vow of silence?

I am not sure what you're asking. Part of being a speaker is announcing the time frame for debates and votes, so I would have to talk.

I believe LL is asking if you will refrain from voting, or only vote abstain?

Ok, I understand now.

To answer your question. No, I will not be willing to take a vow of silence. A cornerstone of a democracy is that all people have a voice in the laws and governance that they are subjected to. To say that I would not vote because I am an elected official would be the same as saying that I do not have the right to consent to the laws that I am subjected to. Elected officials should not be required to give up their voice to get elected. At the end of their term, they will be held to the laws that were passed while they were in office. If we removed their voice, we removed their consent and we compromise the principals we hold dear.

Bringing new players into the Regional Assembly and have them interact outside the site proper is a challenge and TNP has tried to address it the best they can.

Y'know, I see this sort of sentiment a lot when relatively new people run for office, and most of the time it seems like a cheap shot to try to drum up anti-establishment sentiment. But I don't get the impression that you're doing that; on the contrary, your answers to the questions you've been posed have been thoughtful and, frankly, impressive.

I will freely grant that I am a member of the old guard; I have been playing NS since 2004 and I've been in TNP specifically since 2013. And from my perspective, TNP is a shining beacon of openness and a willingness to elevate pretty new players to high office.

McMasterdonia is no longer new, but he was elected delegate within six months of joining the region. Pallaith joined the forum in early September 2016, was WA Minister by the end of the month, and served his first term as Delegate starting May 2017. Siwale joined in January 2017, became a Deputy Speaker and a Minister in May 2017, was elected Vice Delegate in September 2017, and then served 2 terms as Delegate starting May 2018. Gladio, who served in between Pallaith and Siwale, has been a long time NPAer but that was his first (and so far, only) term as Delegate - and he won while running against a former delegate. Fiji is highly likely to win the current election as a first-time delegate, and although his nation has been around for several years, he only joined the community in July of last year and moved into a ministerial role very quickly from there.

Sil Dorsett joined the forum in October 2016 and was named WA Minister in January 2017, where he served multiple terms before running for Vice Delegate January 2019. His opponent Malphe started out in the NPA back in 2016, and worked his way up to Minister of Defense in January 2018. As for the Security Council... even though that's a role where we really do value longevity and length of service, there are only two people on the current roster who predate my own joining date, and just one if you don't count COE because he left and rejoined the Council again. And there have been quite a few others who have joined and left in the meantime.

I could go on, but I think these illustrate the point I am getting at - that from my perspective, TNP has nearly constant turnover and the vast majority of key players right now are people who were either not around or practically unknown just a year or two earlier. I see a region that responds to outside threats by opening its doors even more widely, and which values and rewards both rewards critical thinking and competence. I don't see a stagnant old guard clutching the reins of power for itself, but rather fresh-faced idealists eager to indoctrinate train and mentor new players.

So I would like to ask... where are you getting that impression from? What are we doing or telegraphing or messaging, as a region, that causes you as a new player to look around and think there is no opportunity for advancement for you?

Even if you do not win the election, I very much hope you will stick around as a Deputy Speaker. I personally feel that the Speaker's Office is an excellent role to gain experience in the legislative part of TNP, and I would hypothesize that, with the skills you are already bringing to the table, that would set you up very well to accomplish anything you desire in TNP.

Back