A Simple Change to NPA Doctrine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It literally just changes the title of Chapter 8 from The North Pacific Army Doctrine to The North Pacific Armed Forces Doctrine.

As I stated in the other recent NPA discussion, I think this would be a step in the wrong direction. I think "armed forces" just creates ambiguity about the official name of the military. It's the North Pacific Army. It's always been the North Pacific Army. There's no reason our law should call it anything else.

As I stated in the other recent NPA discussion, I think this would be a step in the wrong direction. I think "armed forces" just creates ambiguity about the official name of the military. It's the North Pacific Army. It's always been the North Pacific Army. There's no reason our law should call it anything else.
Then let's change it the other way around:
Chapter 8: The North Pacific Army Doctrine

1. The North Pacific Army (the NPA) has five primary purposes:
  • a. To protect and defend the region of The North Pacific;
  • b. To protect and defend the allies of The North Pacific;
  • c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
  • d. To maintain a well trained military;
  • e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.
2. The NPA is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • a. To counter or preemptively stop:
    • i) A direct threat to The North Pacific;
    • ii) A direct threat to an ally of The North Pacific;
  • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
  • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPA follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
3. The NPA must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
  • a. Minimize collateral damage;
  • b. Respect the culture of the region and the wishes of the natives;
  • c. Minimize threat to The North Pacific and allies;
  • d. Provide natives with the means to restore the region to its original state before leaving;
  • e. Contact the most recent native delegate when acting proactively;
4. The NPA must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPA to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPA member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPA deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
  • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPA operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
5. The NPA must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
  • a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
  • b. Act with any degree of disrespect;
  • c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
6. The NPA leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPA members.

Markup: Any instance of North Pacific Armed Forces changed to North Pacific Army. Any instance of NPAF changed to NPA. Simple.

Code:
Chapter 8: The North Pacific Army Doctrine

1. The North Pacific Army (the NPA) has five primary purposes:
[LIST]
[*]a. To protect and defend the region of The North Pacific;
[*]b. To protect and defend the allies of The North Pacific;
[*]c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
[*]d. To maintain a well trained military;
[*]e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.
[/LIST]
2. The NPA is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
[LIST]
[*]a. To counter or preemptively stop:
[LIST]
[*]i) A direct threat to The North Pacific;
[*]ii) A direct threat to an ally of The North Pacific;
[/LIST]
[*]b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
[*]c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
[*]d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPA follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
[/LIST]
3. The NPA must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
[LIST]
[*]a. Minimize collateral damage;
[*]b. Respect the culture of the region and the wishes of the natives;
[*]c. Minimize threat to The North Pacific and allies;
[*]d. Provide natives with the means to restore the region to its original state before leaving;
[*]e. Contact the most recent native delegate when acting proactively;
[/LIST]
4. The NPA must operate so that:
[LIST]
[*]a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPA to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
[*]b. Any NPA member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
[*]c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPA deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
[*]d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPA operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
[/LIST]
5. The NPA must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
[LIST]
[*]a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
[*]b. Act with any degree of disrespect;
[*]c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
[/LIST]
6. The NPA leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPA members.

I prefer my version and I motion that it goes to vote.

Apologies, I had missed this.

This proposal is now in formal debate for 5 days, unless the proposer wishes this shortened. Following the end of Formal Debate, the vote will be scheduled two days hence.

Noted.

Formal debate has been shortened to 2 days, with a vote to commence 2 days following the end of formal debate.

Are you going to offer a rebuttal to the points raised against or are you just going to leave it at preferring your own version?

Are you going to offer a rebuttal to the points raised against or are you just going to leave it at preferring your own version?
I mean it just seems to be a matter a preference. This is the easiest and simplest change and that's why I prefer it.

I disagree that it's a matter of preference. I think that good policy should match reality. The reality is that our military is the North Pacific Army, not the North Pacific Armed Forces. The law as it stands gives a mistaken impression about our military identity, and we should be correcting that, not doubling down.

The law as it is gives the NPA a distinct legal identity whilst still allowing the NPA membership and leadership a role in deciding the cosmetic factors of the military. That's more important than supposedly giving a mistaken impression about our military identity - indeed I'm regularly having to correct people about what the NPA is called.

That last part was sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back