NPA Doctrine - Consistency

Discussion in 'Regional Assembly' started by Knightblood, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Knightblood

Knightblood I may be stupid but i'm not an idiot NPA Citizen

TNP Nation:
    Goatentah
    Discord:
    Knightblood #6666
    I was reading the legal code and was bothered with the lack of consistency between the title of chapter 8 and the text of it

I propose chapter 8 of the legal code is amended as follows:

1. The North Pacific Army (the NPA) has five primary purposes:
    • a. To protect and defend the region of The North Pacific;
    • b. To protect and defend the allies of The North Pacific;
    • c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
    • d. To maintain a well trained military;
    • e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.
    2. The NPA is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
    • a. To counter or preemptively stop:
      • i) A direct threat to The North Pacific;
      • ii) A direct threat to an ally of The North Pacific;
    • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
    • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
    • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPA follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
    3. The NPA must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
    • a. Minimize collateral damage;
    • b. Respect the culture of the region and the wishes of the natives;
    • c. Minimize threat to The North Pacific and allies;
    • d. Provide natives with the means to restore the region to its original state before leaving;
    • e. Contact the most recent native delegate when acting proactively;
    4. The NPA must operate so that:
    • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPA to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
    • b. Any NPA member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
    • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPA deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
    • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPA operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
    5. The NPA must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
    • a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
    • b. Act with any degree of disrespect;
    • c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
    6. The NPA leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPA members.

1. The North Pacific Army Armed Forces (the NPAF) has five primary purposes:

• a. To protect and defend the region of The North Pacific;
    • b. To protect and defend the allies of The North Pacific;
    • c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
    • d. To maintain a well trained military;
    • e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.
    2. The NPAF is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
    • a. To counter or preemptively stop:
      • i) A direct threat to The North Pacific;
      • ii) A direct threat to an ally of The North Pacific;
    • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
    • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
    • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPAF follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
    3. The NPAF must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
    • a. Minimize collateral damage;
    • b. Respect the culture of the region and the wishes of the natives;
    • c. Minimize threat to The North Pacific and allies;
    • d. Provide natives with the means to restore the region to its original state before leaving;
    • e. Contact the most recent native delegate when acting proactively;
    4. The NPAF must operate so that:
    • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPAF to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
    • b. Any NPAF member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
    • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPAF deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
    • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPAF operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
    5. The NPAF must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
    • a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
    • b. Act with any degree of disrespect;
    • c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
    6. The NPAF leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPAF members.

2. Syrixia

Syrixia The one, the true, the great. Supporter Citizen

TNP Nation:
    Syrixia
    Discord:
    Syrixia#9338
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NPAF is the official name, whilst the NPA is the colloquial name that everyone uses. I don't think this is an inconsistency.

If I am wrong, though, and the correct official name is the NPA, then this resolution has my full support.

3. Knightblood

Knightblood I may be stupid but i'm not an idiot NPA Citizen

TNP Nation:
    Goatentah
    Discord:
    Knightblood #6666
    I'm just going by what the chapter title heading is and its “Chapter 8: The North Pacific Army Doctrine”
    and it was bothering me that they weren't consistent

I'm also basing it off BMWSurfer's bill https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9184415/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. St George

St George Culture Doggo Supporter Roleplay Moderator Minister NPA Citizen

If the issue that it isn't consistent, surely the simpler and easier course of action would be to just rename that chapter?
    The NPA is the current cosmetic name, which is changable as set out in clause 6.

Dinoium and Syrixia like this.
  5. Crushing Our Enemies

Crushing Our Enemies TNPer Administrator Supporter Security Council Attorney General Election Commissioner Citizen

Discord:
    COE#7110
    Honestly, I always thought it was silly that we wrote into the law that the name could be changed, when no one has any intention of doing that. We've never called it anything but the North Pacific Army.

mcmasterdonia likes this.
  6. Dinoium

Dinoium Jack of All Trades Deputy Minister NPA Deputy Attorney General Citizen

TNP Nation:
    Dinoium
    Discord:
    Dino#0558
    Just a name change? Honestly, I prefer NPAF. Yes, we refer to it always as NPA but like MJ has stated, that's it comestic name. The actual body that contains NPA is NPAF. Not Vice Versa. As an member of the NPA, I would like to note we have debated this and rather have NPAF as a name. In my opinion, the head of Military Affairs (MoD) and Delegate preside over and oversee the NPAF while we have the Chief of Staffs such in the NPA that do alot of work too. Mainly advising however in some sense in my opinion, the Chief of Staff of NPA is higher than the Deputy in terms of NPA.

Appearently also NPA used to be a Division of NPAF. So in that sense, NPA is apart of NPAF. Am I saying we need more than one Military Force in the region? No. I'm fine with one (the NPA) but if we were to have another Military Force, that would be subject to NPAF and apart of it like the NPA.

So in my opinion, i'm against renaming it. NPA is apart of NPAF.

Syrixia likes this.
  7. TlomzKrano

TlomzKrano Just a blob chasing cars Minister Deputy Minister NPA Citizen

Discord:
    Tlomz #1590
    I think this is a great opportunity to rename it: The Army of the North Pacific Order :P

Sanjurika and Dinoium like this.
  8. St George

At the time there were a number of proposals trying to do just that - my addition of clause 6 was to move that decision out of the hands of the RA and into the hands of the people directly involved in the NPA.

Dinoium likes this.
  9. Crushing Our Enemies

Crushing Our Enemies TNPer Administrator Supporter Security Council Attorney General Election Commissioner Citizen

Discord:
    COE#7110
    All of those proposals failed overwhelmingly, which I think demonstrates the citizenry can be trusted not to do dumb things like change the name of the military for no reason. I think I may have been in support of your amendment at the time, because it seemed like a fair concession to the vocal minority that was in favor of having a navy for no reason at all. In hindsight though, it seems unnecessary, since it is just as easy for the citizenry to change the name of the military as it was before, and simply adds an unnecessary mechanism for the name to be changed without the consent of the citizenry.

Dinoium likes this.
  10. St George

The North Pacific Navy bill failed by five votes, which is rather less than 'overwhelmingly' by my understanding.

Dinoium likes this.
  11. mcmasterdonia

mcmasterdonia TNPer Administrator Supporter NPA Citizen

I agree with COE - I think it was a silly change. The NPA is always the NPA and I certainly hope it does not change.

The NPA Navy was mostly argued for by radical defenders like Flemingovia who were upset that the occasional raiding of the NPA infringed on the history of an ancient military that barely anyone remembers.

12. Crushing Our Enemies

Discord:
    COE#7110
    I misremembered the margin of the vote. Regardless, while the change may have served to placate the NPN agitators at the time, it doesn't actually protect the name at all (since the RA can reverse that change and rename the military in one fell swoop if it wanted to) - it only serves to give an additional avenue to alter it.