Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightblood

NPAer
TNP Nation
Goatentah
Discord
Knightblood #6666
Seeing that the NPA has not been called anything else since its inception (and has also been the only division of the NPAF) and also seeing the lack of consistency between the title of chapter 8 and the text of it;

I propose chapter 8 of the legal code is amended as follows:

1. The North Pacific Army (the NPA) has five primary purposes:

• a. To protect and defend the region of The North Pacific;
  • b. To protect and defend the allies of The North Pacific;
  • c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
  • d. To maintain a well trained military;
  • e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.
2. The NPA is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • a. To counter or preemptively stop:
    • i) A direct threat to The North Pacific;
    • ii) A direct threat to an ally of The North Pacific;
  • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
  • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPA follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
3. The NPA must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
  • a. Minimize collateral damage;
  • b. Respect the culture of the region and the wishes of the natives;
  • c. Minimize threat to The North Pacific and allies;
  • d. Provide natives with the means to restore the region to its original state before leaving;
  • e. Contact the most recent native delegate when acting proactively;
4. The NPA must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPA to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPA member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPA deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
  • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPA operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
5. The NPA must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
  • a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
  • b. Act with any degree of disrespect;
  • c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
6. The NPA leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPA members.

1. The North Pacific Army Armed Forces (the NPAF) has five primary purposes:

• c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
  • e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.
2. The NPAF is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Executive Officer charged with military affairs;
  • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Executive Officer charged with military affairs or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPAF follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
3. The NPAF must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
  • d. Provide natives with the means to restore the region to its original state before leaving;
4. The NPAF must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPAF to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPAF member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPAF deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
  • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPAF operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
5. The NPAF must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
  • a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
  • c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
6. The NPAF leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPAF members.

1. The North Pacific Army (the NPA) has five primary purposes:
2. The NPA is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPA follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
3. The NPA must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
4. The NPA must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPA to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPA member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPA deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
  • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPA operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
5. The NPA must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
6. The NPAF leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPA members.
1. The North Pacific Army Armed Forces (the NPAF) has five primary purposes:

2. The NPAF is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPAF follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.
3. The NPAF must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
4. The NPAF must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPAF to work with a given organisation. The Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPAF member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Executive Officer charged with military affairs or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPAF deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.
  • d. The Regional Assembly is promptly informed of any NPAF operation upon deployment, with the exception of operations which the Delegate specifically classifies. The Regional Assembly must be promptly informed of any classified operation, as well as the reasons for the classification, as soon as possible following deployment.
5. The NPAF must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
6. The NPAF leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPAF members.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NPAF is the official name, whilst the NPA is the colloquial name that everyone uses. I don't think this is an inconsistency.

If I am wrong, though, and the correct official name is the NPA, then this resolution has my full support.

If the issue that it isn't consistent, surely the simpler and easier course of action would be to just rename that chapter?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NPAF is the official name, whilst the NPA is the colloquial name that everyone uses. I don't think this is an inconsistency.

If I am wrong, though, and the correct official name is the NPA, then this resolution has my full support.
The NPA is the current cosmetic name, which is changable as set out in clause 6.

Honestly, I always thought it was silly that we wrote into the law that the name could be changed, when no one has any intention of doing that. We've never called it anything but the North Pacific Army.

Just a name change? Honestly, I prefer NPAF. Yes, we refer to it always as NPA but like MJ has stated, that's it comestic name. The actual body that contains NPA is NPAF. Not Vice Versa. As an member of the NPA, I would like to note we have debated this and rather have NPAF as a name. In my opinion, the head of Military Affairs (MoD) and Delegate preside over and oversee the NPAF while we have the Chief of Staffs such in the NPA that do alot of work too. Mainly advising however in some sense in my opinion, the Chief of Staff of NPA is higher than the Deputy in terms of NPA.

Appearently also NPA used to be a Division of NPAF. So in that sense, NPA is apart of NPAF. Am I saying we need more than one Military Force in the region? No. I'm fine with one (the NPA) but if we were to have another Military Force, that would be subject to NPAF and apart of it like the NPA.

So in my opinion, i'm against renaming it. NPA is apart of NPAF.

Honestly, I always thought it was silly that we wrote into the law that the name could be changed, when no one has any intention of doing that. We've never called it anything but the North Pacific Army.
At the time there were a number of proposals trying to do just that - my addition of clause 6 was to move that decision out of the hands of the RA and into the hands of the people directly involved in the NPA.

All of those proposals failed overwhelmingly, which I think demonstrates the citizenry can be trusted not to do dumb things like change the name of the military for no reason. I think I may have been in support of your amendment at the time, because it seemed like a fair concession to the vocal minority that was in favor of having a navy for no reason at all. In hindsight though, it seems unnecessary, since it is just as easy for the citizenry to change the name of the military as it was before, and simply adds an unnecessary mechanism for the name to be changed without the consent of the citizenry.

All of those proposals failed overwhelmingly, which I think demonstrates the citizenry can be trusted not to do dumb things like change the name of the military for no reason. I think I may have been in support of your amendment at the time, because it seemed like a fair concession to the vocal minority that was in favor of having a navy for no reason at all. In hindsight though, it seems unnecessary, since it is just as easy for the citizenry to change the name of the military as it was before, and simply adds an unnecessary mechanism for the name to be changed without the consent of the citizenry.
The North Pacific Navy bill failed by five votes, which is rather less than 'overwhelmingly' by my understanding.

I agree with COE - I think it was a silly change. The NPA is always the NPA and I certainly hope it does not change.

The NPA Navy was mostly argued for by radical defenders like Flemingovia who were upset that the occasional raiding of the NPA infringed on the history of an ancient military that barely anyone remembers.

I misremembered the margin of the vote. Regardless, while the change may have served to placate the NPN agitators at the time, it doesn't actually protect the name at all (since the RA can reverse that change and rename the military in one fell swoop if it wanted to) - it only serves to give an additional avenue to alter it.

I assume it's against the legal code, but is there a way, if the NPA changes its name internally, the portion of the legal code changes automatically without a vote from the regional assembly?
I'd be up for the name change.
It's not a name change, it's changing the section of the legal code to match what the NPA has always called itself.

It's not a name change, it's changing the section of the legal code to match what the NPA has always called itself.
Um the NPAF isn't the same thing as the NPA. The NPA is apart of the NPAF. Not vice versa. So saying "we're going to amend the Legal Code to match NPA's name as that's what it's always been called that" is not true. The section you're editing is NPAF. So you're not matching anything.
Also they made that they support the Section name change.

Dino, the NPAF and the NPA are, in fact, the same thing. It's just that our military has two names: one legal name (NPAF) that is used in the law, and one cosmetic name (NPA) which is what we all call it. The military has the power to change the cosmetic name without RA approval. The RA has the ability to change the legal name. If you think this is kinda dumb and just creates confusion, I'm with you. We should just abolish the two-name policy and make it the NPA forever.

Considering the two proposals by Madjack and Dino I'm inclined to support this one. The NPA is the only "branch" of the "NPAF" and has been so for years, or at the very least for all 4 years I've been here. I'm with you and COE- let's scrap NPAF and make it all NPA.

I don’t think the world will end if we do one or the other of these changes, and it’s nice to have such a low stakes debate for a change. Since it’s purely a preference thing, I just want to say that I support this approach.

Agreed with COE, Gladio and Pallaith.

NPA is known, the NPAF is not. Simplify the code and keep the name with the better branding.

I would suggest removing “name” from the section on the NPA changing the cosmetics.

I would suggest removing “name” from the section on the NPA changing the cosmetics.
I can still see people wanting to change the Cosmetic name. Personally, I think changing the cosmetic name is stupid but somewhere down the line someone will probably want to

Right with you on that.

Names mean something. I'd hate for the NPA [sic] to be changed t something like the Military Forces Riding On Really Cute Pink Unicorns With Browning Automatic Rifles (MFRORCPUWBAR). No, wait, that would be a cool name. Besides, it's too tough to pronounce. I've never been good an acronyms. Never mind. (that was an attempt at humour. Not to be taken seriously except for stuffed shirts who take everything seriously. Sad, them.)

I agree that the NPAF acronym should be changed to the NPA as more than a cosmetic change.

It'll save on confusion not only with us, but NS in general.

From the looks of it, there's a lot of general agreement and not much debate. I personally think we should move this to a vote, if no one has anything else to say.

@Knightblood, thoughts?

From the looks of it, there's a lot of general agreement and not much debate. I personally think we should move this to a vote, if no one has anything else to say.

@Knightblood, thoughts?
I would like to putilize together something so it's not just consistency, but we are the NPA and that's our brand
and also change the Bill Name to mach

Well, you could double down and delete clause 6!

like so?
6. The NPA leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPA members.

or?
6. The NPA leadership is empowered with the ability to determine the cosmetic details of military, including name, ranks and insignia, pending the outcome of a poll of active NPA members.

Personally, I'm becoming more partial to the first one

As this finishes up, just a bit of remembered history. The NPAF name came in the original charter where a delegate would be responsible for appointing a MoD to lead an armed force to protect the region and such things a miltia does in the game which started the NPAF. I forget the MoD as I wasn't in the region at that point but the first MoD created the first DIVISION of the NPAF and it was the Army (NPA) with the thought process there might be multiple forces belonging to the NPAF (An army (NPA), Navy (NPN), Airforce (Acronym confict), and maybe a coast guard (NPCG) . There was even discussions over the years we'd raid as the navy, defend as the army and do Region defense and things like Delegate transition as the National Guard. The auxiliary was even tossed about as being called the National Guard. In practice today the NPA is one of the premier forces in the game and it's easier to view it as the total package, but it wasn't started as THE package of TNP

I'd vote in favor of either one, but I'm leaning towards the second of those options, @Knightblood. My reasoning is that I don't think the NPA leadership should be bound by law to conduct a poll of active NPA members to change the ranks and insignia. I feel like that decision can just be made according to whatever internal policies the NPA has. The law doesn't dictate the requirements for promotions, or define the chain of command (beyond the Delegate and MoD.) I don't see why this is the only matter of internal military policy that the legal code touches on.

This proposal is now in formal debate for 5 days, unless the proposer wishes this shortened. Following the end of Formal Debate, the vote will be scheduled two days hence.

I think this is a great opportunity to rename it: The Army of the North Pacific Order :P

(sarcasm alert - have a sense of humour, which seems to be lacking all around)

I would go even further and rename the NPA/NPAF as the:

PWKYREIWTSWTSOABDOWWAHOFARGNOD ("People Who Will Kick Your Rear End Into West Tomorrow Seven Ways To Sunday Even On a Bad Day Or When We Are Hung Over From A Really Good Night Of Drinking Force")

That way, people will know we are serious about how we name our governments armed forces or are confused into thinking we speak Welsh.

I mean, seriously, why are we having to name something that is already named and referred to by what we already call it? Seriously. This is almost like a Monty Python sketch.

This is almost like "we need legislation for the sake of legislating legislation so people think we are actually legislating to justify legislating legislation."

For the Flemingovia God's sake, pick a name. NPA, NPAF, or PWKYREIWTSWTSOABDOWWAHOFARGNOD. Get it over with. This is trivial.

Sorry. Rant. Apologies for anyone who is offended. But this is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back