Vice Delegate Recall Motion

In all honesty, Deropia should have alerted either the Delegate or the Security Council if he was going to be absent. The VD office is vital to the security of the region and having a dormant person in that role is just not safe. Therefore, I encourage the vote to be scheduled which will still grant Deropia time to respond before any action is even taken.

I want to make sure something isn't lost here. No one is suggesting we recall people who don't log in for 5 days or are simply inactive. There's several factors in play in this case. The true period of inactivity is much greater than 5 days, as I'm sure we can all agree that simply logging in and doing nothing else is a way to be technically active without actually doing anything. I appreciate Flemingovia's care in making sure we don't turn people out for nothing in barely any time, as I am in total agreement with him there. But I don't appreciate this situation being diminished as if a bunch of us are super impatient and picky and want to throw out a promising and respected member of our community for being gone less than a week. That isn't accurate.

Any one thing could have avoided this moment. Deropia could have resumed doing checks, made a post about this, could have answered any of the many messages half a dozen people sent him over the course of 2 or 3 weeks. Something to show he was aware of our concerns and able to come back. And while something unexpected may have occurred, he has still demonstrated an ability to log on to the forum. It is this last point that colors this situation differently than if he had simply not logged in since his absence began (in which case, he would have vacated the office anyway).

I too struggled with determining how long was enough time. My biggest concern at this point is the ignoring of the many messages across all the known media that have been sent to him. He may be busy or occupied but he has been logging in and he should be able to tell he's received messages. And he should have a notion that we would be reaching out after all this time, and that he should get a message to us. I can accept when someone has stuff on their plate and needs a little time to return, but if he is incapacitated or cannot do this, and we don't know when he can and he won't tell us even briefly what is going on, I don't see why we should be much more patient than we already have been. This isn't unnecessary pickiness or us being unreasonable. This process also won't be a fast one, so even if it moves forward and then we start voting, he could come back at any time, and if he does I am willing to reverse my potential recall vote and would encourage everyone to do the same.

The motions to vote are recognized, an immediate vote will therefore be held.

I am extremely disappointed that this was rushed to vote, with barely any time allowed for the RA to debate and discuss. I am voting against this motion.

Oh, also...

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote, then that vote will last for the maximum duration permitted by law.

I strenuously object to the length of the vote.

SillyString:
Oh, also...

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote, then that vote will last for the maximum duration permitted by law.

I strenuously object to the length of the vote.
I also object to the current length of the vote. 3 days is far too short for a motion like this.

While I support this recall motion, I am surprised the Speaker decided to make the vote length so short. This needs to happen relatively soon but fast tracking the vote and then fast tracking the time to vote? That’s a bit much.

I second the objection to the vote length.

With the number of objections exceeding one third of the number of citizens required to reach quorum, the vote will be extended to the full duration, 7 days.

I’d simply like to reiterate Pallaith.
‘S point that Deropia is still logging in.
Most recently: yesterday.

I am concerned as they were active at the time that I was last on Discord.

I am also very concerned that McM is/was confused as to what is happening. I t seems clear enough to me, though
I must admit to having read only pages 3 and 4 of this thread.

Edit: trapped by an iPad’s emoji access.

Note: this is slightly off-topic since it is not directly relevant to the recall motion at vote. I ask the Speaker’s indulgence, and will happily edit out, move or delete the post should ABC consider it out of order.
Over the past day or so, almost whenever I have been on Discord, I have faced repeated demands from a couple of people that I explain or justify some of my comments in this thread even though, frankly, I thought they were pretty clear. I chose not to respond on Discord, which is an ephemeral medium but instead to respond in the thread which has, for context, the original comments. Hopefully this will stop the repeated pings.
The first comment that seems to have got danders up was this:
this proposal seems absurdly premature. I wonder what political agenda is being played out here?

Leaving aside the premature comment for the moment, it may come as a surprise to some but Nationstates is a political simulation. Whenever something like a recall is called (or a recall is NOT called when an official cocks up or neglects their office), then the first question any of us should be asking is “what political agenda is being played out here? This is NS 101.

It is also fair that, in a recall thread, possible motives for the recall are explored and discussed. If the motives were lily-white pure, then it is for the proposer to explain why the proposal was brought at that particular time (which is earlier than most other recalls) and the RA can make a judgement as to whether this was objective or personal.

Personally, I think that people pretty much ALWAYS have a political agenda. I know I do. Even “wanting the Region to have an active VD and recalling as soon as possible” is a political agenda, as is “wanting to give a little more time for the VD to return because I want the region to be a bit more understanding than it appears at the moment.” It’s all politics, because it is all about shaping and moulding TNP.

The other comment that made fur fly was this:

the undue haste with which this has been brought to the RA and was pushed towards a vote seems petty at least, and vindictive/machiavallian at worst.

Throughout the thread I have argued that I consider this recall to be premature. Others disagree with me on that, which is fine. Some err on the side of harshness, others on the side of lenity. Since there is no automatic trigger for a recall motion then the timing will always be a judgement call. I think it too soon, and I stand by that.

I regret the use of the word vindictive, and apologise for that. But again, I was putting alternative scenarios to the RA as to why this recall was being pushed so hard and so fast. Recalls have an enormous impact on NS careers. Although some recover, there are people in TNP who will never recover politically from a recall. Recalls should not be entered in to lightly or hastily. So when I see a recall being rushed (as this one has been, especially in the handling of it by the Speaker’s office) I do, indeed, think it petty and if it is politically motivated then Machiavellian fits the bill.

The proposer responded to my post and asserted that there was nothing personal or political going on towards Deropia. Fair enough – that was enough for me. But I hope nobody would suggest that a member of the RA should not even speculate as to the motivation behind a proposal being brought to the RA. If I had not done so, then the proposer would never have had the chance to respond “I am doing exactly what I would hope people would do to me if I was in the seat of Delegate or Vice Delegate.”

Eh, this is already TL:DR. I do not intend to respond further, or to get into discussions about this on Discord. So no pings.

Mr Speaker: A pojnt of order.

Under what TNP law is this recall being considered by the RA? I have been looking for one.

Article 5 of the bill of rights states that we can recall an official who has actively abused their power. This is not such a case.

can you enlighten me?

Can you also please explain why you have decreed that this will pass with a simple majority vote?

flemingovia:
Mr Speaker: A pojnt of order.

Under what TNP law is this recall being considered by the RA? I have been looking for one.

Article 5 of the bill of rights states that we can recall an official who has actively abused their power. This is not such a case.

can you enlighten me?

Can you also please explain why you have decreed that this will pass with a simple majority vote?
The Bill of Rights enshrines the right to remove an official for abuse of power. The Constitution separately establishes that any government official can be removed by the RA at their discretion. In other words, the Constitution allows recall more broadly than the BOR requires.

5. The Regional Assembly may remove a government official from office by a two-thirds majority vote.

thank you, Mme Speaker.

the constitution does not say that the RA may remove an elected official at their discretion. those words were inserted by you.

The BOR states that an official may be removed for abuse of power.

the consitution simply states the mechanism (2/3 majority vote) by which this might be done.

that's all our laws say.

flemingovia:
thank you, Mme Speaker.

the constitution does not say that the RA may remove an elected official at their discretion. those words were inserted by you.

The BOR states that an official may be removed for abuse of power.

the consitution simply states the mechanism (2/3 majority vote) by which this might be done.

that's all our laws say.
Legal Code:
I, [forum username], do hereby solemnly swear that during my term as [government position], I will uphold the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice of The Region of The North Pacific. I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. As such, I hereby take up the office of [government position], with all the powers, rights, and responsibilities held therein.
Directly from the Legal Code, I'd like to quote the requirements of the oath of office and the fact that contravening any part of this oath brings about the ability to remove an elected official.

Therefore, as argued by Lord Lore, it is fair to say that Deropia has committed nonfeasance by not being in line with their legal duties in a "...gross or excessive manner...". Although this clearly leaves a rather large amount of ambiguity in the law, I think it'd be fair to say that two weeks without active contribution and work in their position is legal grounds for holding a vote.

I'll admit that I brought about the vote rather hastily, which accounts for my failure to change it from a simple-majority to a two-thirds majority. As such, I have fixed that in accordance with Article 2, Clause 5 of the Constitution.

flemingovia:

But I hope nobody would suggest that a member of the RA should not even speculate as to the motivation behind a proposal being brought to the RA. If I had not done so, then the proposer would never have had the chance to respond “I am doing exactly what I would hope people would do to me if I was in the seat of Delegate or Vice Delegate.”
My entire point was that if you are going to accuse me of being petty or Machiavellian at the very least come at me with some evidence. If the bar of entry is that we can make any statement about the proposer of a bill or motion before the RA just to get information out of them then we can accuse anyone of anything without any sort of proof and we should expect people to take it to heart until they say the magic words to dispel the claim.

Maybe I pushed back a little too hard and if I did so in the discord I am sorry but that is entirely because you laid out no evidence in your claim and then choose to instead of saying you would address these or further the dialog choose to just side step every time me or anyone else would bring it up. You accused me of things without any good reason. You could have asked me questions in regards to my plans or inquired any conflicts of interests in my motion but instead just choose to defame my character and accuse me of bad faith before this assembly. I don't know how other people would response but I do not like people attacking my character without evidence.

I would also like to point out, yes I agree this was rushed and I would have preferred this to actually go into discussion for a few days to let the dust settle. If I had known that the vote would be immediately posted I would have held back my motion to vote to allow for such. It has been mishandled by all sides, The supporters who motioned for a vote to early, the opposition who made baseless claims inflaming the debate instead of actually asking questions, and the speaker office (we all know why).

Back