Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736

sc.jpg

Commend: Texas
Category: Commendation | Nominee: Texas
Proposed by: Lenlyvit | Onsite Topic

The Security Council,

Noting that Texas was formed barely one month after NationStates was created in late 2002, making it one of the oldest extant regions and among the first 100 regions.

Applauding that despite its age Texas has been able to maintain an active community through the use of its forum and weekly chats.

Acknowledging that shortly after its founding Texas formed an alliance, known as the Triumvirate, with two other communities, The Heartland and Wysteria, that still exists to this day, making it the longest lasting alliance in the world.

Thanking Texas for its dedication to the protection of others through its military, the Texas Defense Force(TDF), which has existed for over 15 years and is one of the oldest militaries in the world.

Praising Texas’s military for completing over 250 successful missions that freed native communities from outside oppression including:

· The defense of 10000 Islands in November 2003 against Empire of Power forces. This allowed 10000 Islands to live on and eventually form TITO, the Ten Thousand Islands Treaty Organization, which was also recognized by SC#30 for its substantial contributions to NationStates.

· The liberations of Hell, Philippines, India, and Italia from invader forces numbering no less than 40 enemies each between 2003 and 2007.

· The five deployments to Lazarus, including the stabilization of the region after it was taken by Lone Wolves United and supporters in October 2005; The liberation against the Azaean Combine in 2007; The liberation against twelve raider organizations in August 2008; The liberation of Lazarus from the forces of The New Inquisition in November 2008; The counter-coup in 2015 against the New Lazarene Order, an occupation led by the New Pacific Order which was condemned in SC#174, SC#175, SC#176, SC#177, and its government has since apologized for.

· The deployment of their forces four times to the aid of The Rejected Realms, including the single day occupations by Taijitu (2007); The North Pacific (2007); Grand Central (2010); and the attempt by The Black Hawks after conquering Illuminati in March 2017.

· The deployment of their forces to Osiris after the creation of the sinker region in October 2011, allowing the community to choose their own government without the threat of outside pressure and possibly its destruction before it could decide its fate.

· The assistance of the TDF in the liberation of Philippines on December 23, 2017 in a joint operation of thirteen organizations to beat The Black Hawks, which put natives back in control of the region just in time for Christmas.

Believing that the community of Texas should also be recognized for the contributions it has made to the world as a whole, with eight passed General Assembly resolutions as well as three passed historical resolutions in the World Assembly's predecessor.

Admiring the Delegation of Texas for voting in 1277 consecutive votes in the World Assembly and its predecessor the UN, a record unrivaled by any other region.

Convinced that the community of Texas should be recognized for its outstanding contributions to NationStates as a whole,

Hereby Commends Texas.

Co-authored by The United Royal Islands of Euramathania

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[wavote=the_north_pacific,sc]2018_01_27_commend_texas[/wavote]
[wavote=world,sc]2018_01_27_commend_texas[/wavote]

Having examined this resolution, we believe that when we consider Texas' specific contribution to the events described in the proposal, the contribution of Texas has been relatively minor compared to those of the other regions that contributed to each of those instances. We also note that the Security Council has only very recently repealed a commendation of this very same region, needlessly revisiting a topic that had just been examined. We also believe that this proposed resolution is poorly written with awkward prose inappropriate for a WA resolution, despite four false starts of the author submitting this followed by retraction.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote against the resolution.

We didn't occupy the Rejected Realms. We were couped by Emperor Matthuis and he ran off to the Rejected Realms ejecting his supporters once it was clear he was beaten.

Edit: ah, the proposal submitted onsite has the more accurate language: "Emperor Matthuis, delegate of The North Pacific (2007);"

Seeing as Texas has used its military power for the good of the NationStates through various military interventions that have helped spread freedom and enhance security, this government definitely recommends support and votesFOR

Texas has demonstrated goodwill through its efforts in maintaining order in the world and deserves this recognition. The Crown encourages Texas.​

Present

I'm disappointed to see the delegate's vote being cast against the forumside vote. I expect there will be an full and comprehensive explanation under rule 5 of the voting policy, Gladio?

Just a few months ago we repealed a commendation of Texas which outlines most of the very same things this one does. This proposal has more detail but it's not fundamentally different. On a minor note, despite the many rewrites it had, it's not even the most well put together thing. But mostly, I'm just scratching my head at how we were clearly in support of a repeal which this proposal essentially sidesteps. How can we take one position and then contradict it a few months later with basically nothing new to go on?

I think some of you guys are a tad too agreeable with your votes.

Against

Hmm... your memory serves us better than my own. In fact, looking through the archive, I did say this before: "After reading the conversation in WALL Discord between Fawkes and R3n, I share the same opinion that Commend NewTexas is the more appropriate resolution to stand, and Commend Texas is unneeded." Now, if only I could manage to recall that conversation.

Still don't approve of the delegate's opposition to the forumside vote, though...

Sil Dorsett:
I'm disappointed to see the delegate's vote being cast against the forumside vote. I expect there will be an full and comprehensive explanation under rule 5 of the voting policy, Gladio?
Rule 5 of the Voting Policy for those who don't know:
5) In most cases, the Delegate’s vote on each resolution will be determined by the running tally of the corresponding forum thread, and will be updated as the tally changes and as frequently as practically possible while not diminishing the regional voting influence. In the event that the Delegate has decided to vote differently to public opinion they will give a reason for it.

Hopefully the delegate will clarify just why they've gone against the forum vote.

I decided to vote against this SC resolution for similar reasons that Ghost outlined In his post, a few months ago we worked on repealing the commendation of Texas and I can't see why we should change our stance on this now especially when the proposal Is more or less the same one that It was a few months ago. Additionally and more Importantly I would also like to note that our allies from WALL are also voting against this proporsal.

Our allies in TSP and TEP are voting for this proposal. Does this mean your government values WALL allies more than other allies?

The Delegate cited our allies in WALL voting against as a reason, so St George's question is a valid one.

I think this is a far better commendation than the original. I wouldn't say the repeal last time got much of a response other than meh from me either, so I remain in favour.

Gladio:
I decided to vote against this SC resolution for similar reasons that Ghost outlined In his post, a few months ago we worked on repealing the commendation of Texas and I can't see why we should change our stance on this now especially when the proposal Is more or less the same one that It was a few months ago. Additionally and more Importantly I would also like to note that our allies from WALL are also voting against this proporsal.
As per Rule 5 of WA Voting Policy as displayed by St. George,
5) In most cases, the Delegate’' vote on each resolution will be determined by the running tally of the corresponding forum thread, and will be updated as the tally changes and as frequently as practically possible while not diminishing the regional voting influence. In the event that the Delegate has decided to vote differently to public opinion they will give a reason for it.
the Delegate has voted AGAINST this proposal for the reason(s) stated in the above quote.

Any questions, comments, or concerns can be directed to the #World-Assembly tab of the 'The North Pacific' discord or the PMs of any of the WA Staff Leadership!

If I may, in what sense did we work on the resolution to repeal Commend Texas?

As I understood matters, our only involvement in that resolution as a region was through voting for it, following a 6:3 vote on this forum (with 1 vote I would consider Present).

By my count, voting on this resolution appears to have 11 For, 3 Against, 1 Abstain, and 2 Present.

I'm surprised that six last September seems to have more weight than eleven today. Am I missing something?

Eluvatar:
If I may, in what sense did we work on the resolution to repeal Commend Texas?

As I understood matters, our only involvement in that resolution as a region was through voting for it, following a 6:3 vote on this forum (with 1 vote I would consider Present).

By my count, voting on this resolution appears to have 11 For, 3 Against, 1 Abstain, and 2 Present.

I'm surprised that six last September seems to have more weight than eleven today. Am I missing something?
If I remember correctly, we had no direct involvement in the repeal, besides that of voting.

As for the situation now, in accordance with the points brought forth from the previous delegate and current Foreign Affairs minister, we should not flip our opinion on the proposal without any major changes being added since the last attempt. It was also noted that some of our strongest WA allies voted 'Against' with TNP during the first re-proposal and strongly recommended a vote against now as well.

Changes were made to the commendation. The Minister of WA Affairs addresses them in the Ministry's recommendation:

Deropia:
Having examined this resolution, we believe that when we consider Texas' specific contribution to the events described in the proposal, the contribution of Texas has been relatively minor compared to those of the other regions that contributed to each of those instances. We also note that the Security Council has only very recently repealed a commendation of this very same region, needlessly revisiting a topic that had just been examined. We also believe that this proposed resolution is poorly written with awkward prose inappropriate for a WA resolution, despite four false starts of the author submitting this followed by retraction.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote against the resolution.
(Underlining added)

This recommendation is addressing this section which has no counterpart in the original commendation:
Praising Texas’s military for completing over 250 successful missions that freed native communities from enemy forces including:

· The defense of 10000 Islands in November 2003 against Empire of Power forces. This allowed 10000 Islands to live on and eventually form TITO, the Ten Thousand Islands Treaty Organization, which was also recognized by SC#30 for its substantial contributions to NationStates.

· The liberations of Hell, Philippines, India, and Italia from invader forces numbering no less than 40 enemies each between 2003 and 2007.

· The five deployments to Lazarus, including the stabilization of the region after it was taken by Lone Wolves United in October 2005; The liberation against the Azaean Combine in 2007; The liberation against twelve raider organizations in August 2008; The liberation of Lazarus from the forces of The New Inquisition in November 2008; The counter-coup in 2015 against the New Lazarene Order, an occupation led by the New Pacific Order which was condemned in SC#174, SC#175, SC#176, SC#177, and its government has since apologized for.

· The deployment of their forces four times to the aid of The Rejected Realms(TRR), including the single day occupations of Red Kagran, delegate of Taijitu (2007); Emperor Matthuis, delegate of The North Pacific (2007); Aegara, delegate of Grand Central (2010); and their deployment to TRR after The Black Hawks conquered Illuminati in March 2017.

· The deployment of their forces to Osiris after the creation of the sinker region in October 2011, allowing the community to choose their own government without the threat of outside pressure and possibly its destruction before it could decide its fate.

· The assistance of the TDF in the liberation of Philippines on December 23, 2017 in a joint operation of thirteen organizations to beat The Black Hawks, which put natives back in control of the region before Christmas.

I do wonder what reasons there are to believe that Texas' role in, say, defending 10000 Islands, was minor.

I'm further surprised that the executive appears to be choosing its own assessment of whether this proposal is substantially different over the opinions of a larger group of voters than originally judged the previous resolution unworthy.

On some investigation I find that the Delegates of Balder and Europeia have voted against the resolution and the Delegate of International Democratic Union has voted in favor. I can find no other indication of a WALL position. If I'm missing something, please let me know. As it is, if we voted for I believe WALL would be evenly split, so we wouldn't be alone. If contrariwise we considered allies in general, Albion's has voted for, Equilism's against, and The East Pacific's and the South Pacific's have voted for. Altogether that's 4 allies voting for and 3 allies voting against. I see no overwhelming majority on either side among our allies.

The vote of New Lakemba brings us to an apparent 11 For, 3 Against, 1 Abstain, and 3 Present.

I ask again in what sense does WALL oppose this resolution. Was there a vote? Which regions voted in which way? When did this happen?

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back