sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett

sc.jpg

Commend Ransium
Category: Commendation | Nominee: Ransium
Proposed by: Drasnia | Onsite Topic

The Security Council,

Asserting that many nations in the multiverse are drawn to regional office, but few truly excel and thrive while in it;

Believing Ransium to be one of those select few who has surpassed every expectation and effected great change in the world through exceptional and extraordinary leadership;

Observing that Ransium has been Forest's World Assembly Delegate for over ten years and during that time has overseen and led much of its growth;

Noting that upon Ransium becoming Delegate, Forest had a population of under 20 nations, an order of magnitude smaller than the present population;

Extolling Ransium for recognizing Forest's susceptibility to attack from outside forces and taking necessary measures to ensure the community's future security;

Amazed at Ransium's leadership in Forest through fostering a community that attracts many great nations and which led to the region's commendation in SC# 219;

Impressed at the Regional Constitution Ransium drafted for Forest at the behest of other region members in order to formalize and standardize the regional government structure and produce more stability for the region;

Awed at the Forest Greenness Index Ransium created for Forest and subsequently released for all nations in the multiverse to use, which compares the policies of nations and how they affect the environment;

Applauding Ransium for their efforts in drafting and passing GAR#403 "Trade of Endangered Species" which sought to stop the illegal smuggling of endangered organisms in World Assembly member nations;

Recognizing that Ransium has sought to bring international attention to other worthy individuals and regions through the passing of SC#221 "Commend Yggdrasil," SC#224 "Commend Drasnia," and SC#233 "Commend Zwangzug";

Lauding Ransium for bringing four issues of national importance to attention:
  • Wildfire prevention through Only Leader Can Prevent Forest Fires;
  • Bird migration patterns and population decline through Songbirds' Decline Ruffles Feathers;
  • International counter-terrorism through A Cloak and Syringe Operation; and
  • Vaccination education and disease awareness through A Sickening Dilemma;
Convinced that Ransium is one of the brightest and longest-lasting examples of leadership in the whole of NationStates and that all nations should strive to be like it;

Hereby commends Ransium

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[wavote=the_north_pacific,sc]2017_11_12_commend_ransium[/wavote]
[wavote=world,sc]2017_11_12_commend_ransium[/wavote]

This proposal outlines the achievements of Ransium in the international community as well as their clear leadership in their home region of Forest. The actions of Ransium have set clear benchmarks that fellow nations should aspire to achieve. Building regions based on a niche interest is no easy feat, but Ransium's drive to create an environmental and eco-friendly region is astounding, particularly when you consider the significant growth of Forest's population over its existence. Also admirable and commendable is Ransium's desire to step outside of their region and pursue lofty and elegant goals through, not only the General Assembly, but also through creating challenging scenarios to pose to fellow national leaders. They have stepped completely out of their comfort zone by becoming a clear leader in the Security Council, ensuring the creation and passing of resolutions that recognize the efforts and achievements of other great nations.

In accordance with reasons stated above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote FOR this resolution!

I can't help but think this is a commendation trade, given that it was a Ransium proposal that commended Drasnia. The commendation itself does look good though and is well justified. The self-reference "SC#224 'Commend Drasnia,'" does bug me, but not enough to disqualify.

Surprisingly For, but I could see where others may take what I've noticed and justify an against vote on it, which could be disappointing.

Previous resolution: https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_past_resolution/id=224/council=2

The commendation seems to be valid in the terms of accomplishments, but it looks like a commendation trade, something that should not get encouraged.
I vote
Abstain

because I think we should abstain, on this matter.

Concerns have been addressed. Looks genuine
For

Yes, I can agree with the above concerns.

However, if it is a commendation trade, then it's a commendation trade well-justified.

I vote For

Yeah, I know the optics on it aren't good. It does look from the outside like it's a trade, but I'm being honest when I say it's not.

What happened was there were a couple of people who had written poor attempts at Commend Ransium, but because Ransium has done so much, there was the possibility that these attempts could actually pass despite their low quality. I have too much respect for the guy to let him be given a commend that he doesn't like and could quite possibly end up being repealed.

Through the whole drafting process, I had kept my commend out of it, but just before submitting when I ran it pass him to see if there was anything he wanted to correct or clarify he told me I was silly for keeping it out. So at his behest I added it in.

Ransium has accomplished quite a bit in their time on nationstates as the commendation states, and they do seem to be worthy of commendation. Given the authors response to the concerns raised about the optics of it being a commendation trade, I am voting For the commendation of Ransium

James Urquhart:
Is the minimum number of delegates still 6% for quorum?
Yep. If you look at the top of the proposals page, above the Submit a Proposal button, it'll tell you the magic number. 91 at time of posting.

Also, Drasnia, thanks for addressing the concern.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back