-
TNP Nation
Esplandia
Discord
esplandia
07bfBvk.png

The Alliance of Northern Unions

To the Esteemed Members of the Phoenix and Pan-Gotic Unions,

I hereby invite your leaders and representatives to the city of Bravondy in the Kingdom of Arrandal to discuss the reaffirmation of the Alliance of Northern Unions (hereafter referred to as the ANU), to better maintain close relations through trade, political unity, and mutual defense between our respective alliances.

With the Pan-Gotic Union stepping into the role of spiritual successor to the Northwestern Union, and the status of the ANU currently unknown, we believe it is the best interest of all that we continue the work of the ANU and not allow it to disappear into the annals of history as a failed organization. If that means repurposing the treaties and agreements already in place, or throwing it all out and rebuilding it all from the ground up, then so be it. Let us work together to bring forth a greater, and more peaceful unity between us all.

In Sincerity,

Agatha Valteren, Queen of Arrandal
Chancellor Peter Artois
Nikolas Valkiric, Regent and Grand Marshal of the Azure Dawn

Chancellor Peter Artois,

A delegation of Goyanean diplomats, including current PGU Chancellor Jorgen Årnad and Foreign Minister Ken Lorge will be flying to Arrandal to attend the council. Hopefully they may be able to bring this council to a productive result.

Sincerely,
Junior Minister Martin R. Junn

Office of the Coalition Directorate of Foreign Affairs
- Julian el Trecht, Senator for the Republic of Dyela; Foreign Director
To:
Office of the Chancellor of the Arrandal Kingdom
- Peter Artois, Chanellor of Arrandal
Subject: The First Council of the Alliance of Northern Union

An Ilian Delegation will be present in our role as a full member-state of the Pan-Gothic Union. In that capacity, myself as the Foreign Director shall be taking the lead of our delegation under the banner of the Coaliton of Ilia representing specifically the perspective of the Itrean League. We shall further be including the Financial Director of the Coalition, Helena Ilaena of Icetio, and the Ambassador to the Pan-Gothic Union, Anastasia Olera.

We look forward to this hopefully productive meeting between the parties and hope a quorum can be reached for deliberation.

~Director el Trecht, Senator of Dyela.

<<Diplomatic Communique>>:

CERETIS DEPARTMENT OF STATE
KINGDOM REPUBLIC OF CERETIS
Office of Diplomatic Services

To The Regnum de Nocte et Die of Arrandal;
Agatha Valteren, Queen of Arrandal
Peter Artois Chancellor

The government and people of the Kingdom Republic of Ceretis thank you for your invitation to the Kingdom of Arrandal. As an associated member state of the Phoenix Union, we are very interested in participating and observing the discussions regarding the Alliance of Northern Unions (ANU.)

With strong interest in the matters involved, His Imperial Majesty, Tsar Harold, has chosen Tsarevich Scott Callahan on behalf of the Royal Family. Furthermore Deputy Secretary of Commerce Sayles Kemper, Deputy Secretary of Defense Corbin Watts, and Secretary of Culture Roman Fell shall be attending as representatives of the Kingdom Republic.

As always, may the amity, charity, and commerce between our people continue ever to blossom under Sol or Luna.

Frank Innis
DEPUTY DIRECTOR - DIPLOMATIC CORPS
CERETIAN DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Diplomatic Security Service
Straathgard Castle; Sion​

qYm7Xjz.png
TO: Kingdom of Arrandal
SUBJECT: Imperial ANU Conference Attendance

To Her Majesty, Queen Agatha Valteren, as well as Azure Dawn Marshal and Grand Regent Nikolas Valkiric and Chancellor Peter Artois:

I wish to send this message personally to convey my sympathy with your posited point. The ANU cannot and must not become a failed organization within the annals of history simply due to the dissolution of the Northwestern Union in favor of a spiritual successor union, the PGU, which is, in fact, much larger in size and diversity. The Syrixian Empire has the utmost interest in participating in the talks at Bravondy. To this extent, we shall be sending Her Grace, Imperial Princess Puja, Grand Presiding Officer of the Phoenix Union and the Empire's Chief PU Representative.

H.I.M. Rajesh III
Emperor of the Syrixian Empire​

R7ul559.png

The Kingdom of Esroniet is very interested in participating in the ANU reaffirmation council and discussing the ANU in more detail. We wish, as such, to inform the Kingdom of Arrandal and the other ANU nations that it shall be attending the Council. I shall be in attendance, as will the Right Honorable Jean-Marc Rousseau, the Prime Minister of Esroniet. We wish the best of tidings to all other nations in attendance and we hope that this conference can provide a meaningful framework for the ANU that shall endure and establish the ANU as an alliance that will stand the test of time.

Gerard Valois
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Esroniet

Claidie's notice of attendance:
ZBjgwjR.png

To Her Majesty The Queen of Arrandal, Chancellor Artois, and Grand Marshal Valkiric, greetings,

The Principality of Sil Dorsett will send a delegation to the conference in Bravondy to discuss the continued existence of the Alliance of the Northern Unions. Malorie Allen, our lead Phoenix Union representative, shall be in attendance.

KifCOE9.png

Alice's notice of attendance:
To Her Majesty The Queen of Arrandal,

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Sil Dorsett, my sister, failed to consult with the leader of the elected Parliament, who as a whole represents all Dorsettians, to consider that perhaps said leader should be in attendance at a conference which may further engulf the Principality in a web of international unions, and subject it to an additional barrage of obligations. I informed Her Highness that I will be at Bravondy, and thankfully she saw the light and did not object.

Consider this official notice of my intent to attend the ANU conference.

Sincerely,

GtN7MMW.png

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Hastfradic League
Department of Foreign Relations

To: Agatha Valteren, Queen of Arrandal
Chancellor Peter Artois

The Governments and peoples of the Hastfradic League greatly appreciate the invitation to this council, and hopes that it is a beneficial event. However, and in no undo terms, we do not wish to attend nor be affiliated with an Alliance of Northern Unions. Furthermore we do not wish to become involved in northern affairs,or entangled in northern politics. We believe joining the ANU would be in conflict of interests with our obligations to our member states and their allies. Each member nation within our league is of course free to seek membership on their own, and join the ANU as they wish, but the League itself sees no benefits to joining this organization at this time.

We do hope that our nations can continue represent the interests of our peoples and allies in mutually beneficial ways into the future, and we also wish this council the best of luck and success in its endeavor to foster peaceful relations within the north.

Sincerely,
Klaus auf Hattenburg, Chancellor of the Hastfradic League

S6SD3I9.png

To the Office of the Chancellor of the Kingdom of Arrandal, Peter Artois,

The Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne will be sending myself, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sven Kalder as the delegation to the ANU. It was seen as a fitting idea due to the fact that I was the delegation to the late Northwestern Union. Our Minister of Defense, Johan Eldstromme, will also be in attendance to discuss whatever matters of defense the ANU nations may have. Andrenne will put itself first if it deems an idea of the ANU unconstitutional (according to our own constitution). Although this may sound selfish, it is to keep our nation safe from something that could harm our nation. We hope that we'll all be able to agree at this meeting, or at least compromise with each other.

XPlTwfT.png

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne

Letter about the attendance:
SAA KANADIAN MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Official document. Sent from the Parliament in Calgary, Calgary.​

To Chancellor Peter Artois,

I, Kaleb Smith, SAA Kanadian Minister of Foreign Affairs will be the Kanadian delegation to the ANU. As a member of the Pan-Gotic Union, we are elligable to join this event, and will do suit. We hope that meeting with the Alliance of Northern Unions will strengthen relations with other nations in our area nearby the Phoenix Strait.

Gutt Luch Du,
Kaleb Smith
The Consitutional Monarchy of SAA Kanada's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Letter regarding Xentheridan attendance:
To Queen Agatha Valteren of Arrandal
Chancellor Peter Artois

As a member of the the PGU and PU, we hope that, with our position, we are very interested in attending the conference in Bravondy. Therefore, the Grand Federation shall send Mia Rosenblad to be our delegation to the ANU.

- Acting Prime Minister Leona Antonsson.

To: Queen Agatha Valteren of Arrandal

I am delighted to announce that I will be attending the conference personally in an effort to get to know the leaders of the PGU and the PU. It is my hope that this conference will also bring our nations closer.

Signed
Emperor Marten Severyn of Maloria

vmlcfUI.jpg

NQksoX5.jpg

To Peter Artois of Arrandal, or whomever it may concern:

Representatives from the Equestrian Commonwealth will attend the conference in the interest of the PGU, the PU, and the ANU that exists between them. We hope that our presence will benefit the purpose of the meeting.

Regards,
Luna

The Queen tried not to fidget as the Arrandalians prepared for the arrival of the the representatives from the PGU and PU. A large room had been set aside in the Palat Roz for this meeting, and though the room lacked much of the grand architecture to be found in the rest of the city, the plainness of the decor still held it's on beauty. The delegations had arrived and were beginning to trickle in. There was a number of aids sitting behind her, each ready to provide information on request, and to take notes as needed. To her right sat the Grand Marshal. He had traded out his regular decorated Azure Dawn uniform for a more plain military attire. A number of his guards were stationed outside the room to guard the door, while the Queen's Hussars guarded the Palat Roz.

Peter Artois, her chancellor, and head of the Waiczyn Couincil, was seated below the queen at a forward desk facing the large table prepared for the delegates, with rows of chairs behind for their own staff. The flags of the visiting nations flew along the walls of the room with the flag of the ANU directly behind the queen, and the flags of the PU and PGU to either side. The Grand Marshal had strictly informed the queen that she was to watch the proceedings and pay attention. Chancellor Artois would lead the meeting, and she would learn from him.

Finally the doors opened as the first delegation arrived. Agatha sat straighter and prepared for what was going to be a long day of work.

A tall man in his early 30's exited the car, thanking the driver. His crazy brown hair, which was usually sticking in all directions, had somehow been tamed. Even that cursed cowlick near the back of his head. Kaleb flashed a mischievous smile, how he had been elected to be the Minister of Foriegn Affairs was a mystery. He seemed irresponsible, always fidgeting and sticking his hands into his pockets.
Flanked by an advisor on his left and a translator on his right, he approached the building. A third, quiet man walked behind them. Even taller than Kaleb himself, he had a black great coat on and thin glasses low on his nose. He stared at his shoes silently as he walked.
Kaleb and his group entered the doorway, "Ah, I guess we're the first ones here. I personally thought we'd be late, with you." His advisor said to Kaleb, who chuckled. "Come on, I have a long attention span and you know it." Kaleb walked to the Queen and bowed, "You Majesty, nice to meet you," he said before walking away and sitting at his seat. His adivsor sat next to him and the translator and other man stood behind him.

Mr Årnad entered the chamber. He saw the Arrandalian Queen and his Kanadian counterpart sitting at the table. "Hello Your Highness" Said Årnad, simultaneously bowing to her. He uttered a string of Gojan words to one of his advisors. He immediately left the chamber and started looking for the motorcade driver.

The two ladies of the Dorsettian delegation and their skeleton crew of staffers left their motorcade behind and headed into the Palat Roz. While Malorie contemplated the benefits of the Phoenix Union holding an alliance with the Gotics, Alice seemed distracted by the decor. It wasn't long though before she lost interest, being more impressed with her own palace thanks to the decorative efforts of her father and his staff years ago.

Upon entering the chamber, Alice stepped in front of the lead representative as they approached Queen Agatha, and while Malorie seemingly forgot protocol and simply nodded, Alice gave a proper curtsey. "Your Majesty, a pleasure to meet you," Alice said, before the delegation took their seats at the table, acknowledging the other delegates along the way.

"What are you doing?" Alice whispered to Malorie, "That's no way to address a Queen."

"Sorry, I just didn't know what to do. She's not like Claidie," Miss Allen replied.

Marten walked into the chamber with his four Imperial Guards an announcer to introduce him. Marten found the chamber quant but it was beautiful in its own way. Marten finally ignored the interior and moved in front of Queen Agatha.

His announcer walked up in front of him and started to speak. “Before you is Marten of the royal house Severyn of Maloria. Keizer of Maloria and King of Kanada. Arch-Duke of Calgary and Sundeon. Also the Shield of Bergum, Sword of the Nacht, and the Count of Haadstêd.” Marten then gave a bow to the queen and said with a grin “It is an honor and a pleasure to meet you your grace”.

Marten then preceded to go to his chair and sit down in it while his guards would stand. He then whispered to the his guard on the left and said “Make sure you have the silver bullets because I don't intend to back to Maloria with a new fancy pair of teeth.” The guard then said “Don't worry your grace because if I didn't then you wouldn't have been the only stabbed with a stake by the empress.” They both laughed and waited for the others leaders to arrive.

The Delegation of the Ilian State had assumed they would be late. Their party being run by one of the most elder of the Senators of Coalition. Senator el Trecht, or Julean of Dyela as he liked to be called in the grand halls of the Senate was a man quickly approaching the last stages of his life. Nearly into his eighth decade of life he was an unassuming man of small stature, largely due to the intricate wooden cane he leaned on. One would hardly suspect this man of such an age would be the largest power broker of in the Iliac Region, though they would be wrong. President of the largest political party, former Provincial Governor, decades worth of terms in the Senate never rising to Chairman but a consistant presence in every Coalition Cabinet for the past three decades.

He made his way up the steps of this building flanked on his left by a short red-headed woman to his left, not even a grey hair barely entering his prime. Finance Director Ilaena, an rising star from the south. Elected in a populous wave in the Rigelae Republic in the last election. Centrist by all account barely making waves in the media back home or rocking the boat but a consistent stabilizing force trying to fine a middle path in all instances. On the right Commissioner Olera, a quiet and unassuming former state politician from Avelire, voted out of office but pulled strings with her party one of the smaller partners in the Political Bloc governing over the Itrean League.

They made their way to the into the conference hall and found their placement not ignoring the Queen of Arrandal but not going out of their way to interact. The elder Senator turning to his red-headed companion and quietly remarking "It seems the kid in charge of that island hasn't shown up, he pushes everyone to show up and go along with his ideas but like a toddler can't hold focus enough to get his own delegation to show up. I was hoping something would come of this meeting but it seems like instead of functionaries and officials it seems like states have sent their debutantes (royals/nobles)."

Jean-Marc Rousseau's party had just won a national election, following months of political tumult within the Kingdom of Esroniet. Now, around a month later, he was already being called to Bravondy to discuss ANU- surely a historic agreement, should it be renewed by the Pan-Gotic and Phoenix Unions. Then again, he thought to himself, was this not the perfect time for Esroniet to shine? He had talked so much about Esronian leadership in the future- now here he was, the Prime Minister of Esroniet, ready to take the first step to fulfilling that promise- a promise he needed to keep, for the sake of the Esronian democracy.

He had met Puja just outside the Palat Roz. The Grand Presiding Officer of the Phoenix Union. It was only natural, he thought, that the Syrixians sent her. Rajesh III didn't usually come to functions like this. He remembered that Esroniet had thought about having its own lead representative stand for the office, but unfortunately the political storm began to brew soon after. After meeting and exchanging cordial greetings, the two entered the building together. The two gave their salutations and greetings to Queen Agatha and the other Arrandalians present, and then continued once more to talk, for a brief time.

Oh brother, Jean-Marc thought to himself as Puja politely ended the conversation and went to talk with the Goyaneans. It was no surprise that Syrixia and Goyanes had very good relations. They called it the "Special Relationship". Cute, sure, but Jean-Marc knew that however tight-knit they may be, all alliances were and are the same- not easily makeable but easily breakable. As he prepared himself for the council to come, he pondered to himself again, hoping that ANU would be renewed. However, that was up to the councilors- the delegations sent by the participating countries. What he did know for sure was that this meeting would be one for the history books.

But what would the history books write? Only time would tell, and time was ticking.

Sven and Johann had both arrived a bit later due to delays at the airport from weather, but they were here now after the long flight from Mitta. They stepped out of their nice, secretly armored car. As they were walking they both were having a conversation in Andrennian. As they entered the building Sven fixed his glasses, pushing them up on his nose. They both walked to the Queen and bowed.

"Your majesty, it is an honor to be here, I'm Sven Kalder, the Andrennian Minister of Foreign Affairs, and this is my coworker within our government, Johann Eldstromme, Minister of Defense." said Sven, nudging Johann to say something as well. "Er.. Yes, it is truly a pleasure to be here, thank you for hosting this meeting." Johann said in response to Sven's nudging. They both walked away from the Queen, continuing their earlier conversation in Andrennian. It was about the protests plaguing Andrenne due to the travel ban on the Ninhundish, but also about more casual topics, such as how their lives were at the moment.

Both ministers spoke pretty good Mercanti, with Sven being the better of the two. The accents on both men were recognizably Andrennian, Johann's being slightly thicker than Sven's. Both men were dressed in suits. Sven had short, dark brown, combed hair. He wore wire-frame glasses, which framed his dark green eyes. He had a thin, long face. He was a taller man, standing at 6'. He was slender compared to his acquaintance, Johann, who was a bit larger but still wouldn't be considered overweight. Johann was an older man, being 65, while Sven was only 42. Johann had a receding hairline of gray hair, which had once been light brown. His eyes were brown, and he was a bit shorter, being only 5'8". The two sat at a table, still in their conversation. They waited for the other delegates to arrive and for the meeting to start.

Following Sven and Johann, Mia exited her armoured limousine and strolled towards the building, flanked by an adviser and security member. She strolled into the hall, and politely nodded towards the Queen, trying not to let her republican ideals get the better of her as she walked towards her seat.

She looked around the hall. Very few actual delegates were here; it seemed that almost everyone else had sent their leaders. And while Mia was merely a reassigned delegate from ambassadorial duties, she wouldn't be intimidated by the world leaders; her six years of experience would prove she was more than capable to handle the ANU. Or, at least, whatever confused, intangible mess of a power grab this agreement was.

Peter checked his watch. It was just about time to start. Already this whole thing was off to a rocky start. Not everyone had arrived, and there was barely a majority for both alliances present. He ran it through his head real quick and realized that nearly everyone present would need to agree on the reaffirming the ANU for it to then go before both alliances respectively to be voted on by their members. It didn't seem likely. From what he could tell there was already animosity between some of the delegates, and it was no secret that the Illians didn't like the Syrixians.

He still believed that the ANU would be beneficial to Arrandal and hopefully open up new markets for them. He knew that many of his fellow compatriots didn't agree. The Grand Marshal was against the whole affair, but the Queen had sided with him, trusting to his judgement. and now here he was. Time to begin, he thought.

"Ladies and gentlemen, fellow delegates, lords and ladies, presidents and ministers, and all those who have so graciously traveled to our city in search of friendship and cooperation, I welcome you to Arrandal." He began, raising his voice commandingly as the murmured conversations died down. "The Alliance of Northern Unions is what the name implies, an Alliance between two northern unions; the Phoenix and Pan-Gotic. Though it was originally the North Western Union that formed the second half of the ANU, the Pan-Gotic Union has risen to take its place and continue the strong bonds of friendship, of peace, fostered between our two great Unions. I believe, nay I know, that the ANU is essential to the continued peace in the region." As he talked he picked up pace, his confidence returning. He talked on for a short while about the need for the ANU and why he felt it was essential. As he winded down, he ended with a sincere word of thanks for all those that had chosen to attend.

Finally he said, "I would like to invite the representatives of Goyanes and Syrixia to speak first, as it has been the hard work of their two nations that has helped make the ANU what it is, what I hope it will continue to be. Afterwards, anyone wishing to speak may do so and we shall see where we stand." He then stepped aside and let the first representative come to speak.

The delegation from Ilia sat there listening to the start of the talks but before the Syrixian Princess or the Goyean Minister could stand to talk the elder Senator from Ilia stood, before his compatriots could urge him to wait. Shakily standing, leaning on his polished cane. Clearing his throat before saying aloud to the people of the room.

"While I normally would hold my tongue before we can truly start it is the prerogative of this delegation to speak up and address the elephant in the room. We all here are representatives of civil governments responsible to the citizenry either directly or indirectly. I myself as directly elected by the noble men and women of the Dyelan Republic. But we have here standing with us. Two delegations that are completely detached from civil governments. The Emperor of Maloria and the Princess of Syrixia. Maloria has a civil government but the Emperor has elected to appear before us without even involving them. Meanwhile the Syrixian People do not even have a civil government. Their state can not even produce a representative that is accountable directly to the people as everyone is responsible to the emperor above all else."

The elder looked around the room shifting his position moving his cane to his other hand before continuing.

"We stand here as Stewards of our people and can any of you go back to your parliaments, to your citizens, and even to the people who voted you into these offices and say with confidence would be doing the right thing making deals that will effects generations for decades and creating binding organizations and deals when 200 Million people were not given a chance to have a seat at the table."

Chancellor Årnad glared at El Trecht before standing up.

"Councilmembers, ambassadors, heads of state and government, and other esteemed guests, welcome to this year's ANU council. I would like to give a special thank you to the Arrandalian government for hosting us here. Today we have convened to choose the fate of the ANU Treaty, which was made uncertain after the dissolution of the NWU. The ANU has provided a beneficial diplomatic link to the nations of the PU, and it has encouraged the warming of relations of nations that previously may not have had relations, or may have had neutral or negative relations. It is also vital to securing a peaceful force in the region."

He sat back down, signaling to the Syrixian Princess to begin.

Autumn suddenly came in through the door, clearly agitated and shaken. She was also wet. Noticing that she had everyone's attention, she calmly explained herself.

"Excuse my tardiness, the plane lost power and we had to land in Calico. I had to wait in the rain for the new plane to arrive."

She sat down, sighing.

She hated the rain.

As Autumn entered the room Marten started to stand. He was surprised to see her mainly because she was late to the meeting and he was also very surprised to see her soaked. He quickly got that off of his mind as he started to speak.

“I'm sorry I know that it isn't my turn and I hope you forgive me for that but I must say something. El Trecht, I might not have campaigned for my position but I'm here anyways. Unlike you and most of the delegates here I did not have to campaign for my position and I do not have to debate people for it but that does not change my mission. I'm here to make sure that Maloria is not hurt in this and so that I can represent Malorian interests here. I'm sure all of you here are here for the same reasons. This is what this Alliance is for so that all of the people in our nations can benefit from it may it be from trade to security we all have different needs for our people. So for the sake of this alliance and for the people I ask you to stop acting like a toddler and throwing childish insults at other people. This is not the place to have childish back and forths. If you wish to debate with the other delegates then do it somewhere else for the actual adults here are trying to help their people and make sure this conference succeeds. Again I'm sorry for speaking out of turn and I will try and avoid it again. The floor is yours your grace.”

Marten then preceded to nod at the Princess and sit back down waiting for the next speaker.

Jean-Marc was miffed. Already arguments were flaring up. He wanted to improve Esronian relations with the Ilians sometime during his term- it was in his platform, after all- but their delegate was being so obnoxious- he knew he had his work cut out for him. He saw Puja stand after Emperor Marten's speech, and in particular noticed her giving her own short glare before looking back at everyone else, smiling, and going into her speech.

"Thank you for your comments, Your Majesty." she said before turning to the rest of the delegates. "Ambassadors, heads of state and government, my fellow delegates, ladies and gentlemen; Shava. I welcome you all to this conference so graciously called by Her Majesty, the Queen of Arrandal. The ANU cannot and must not become a failed organization within the annals of history- the Empire said this in its message declaring its intent to attend. And there is definitely truth to that statement. Since its founding, the ANU has brought two great alliances together and strengthened peace in both our respective regions and in the world. Today, it is our job to continue what the Northwestern and Phoenix Unions started, and drive the ANU to greater heights than ever before."

"I am confident that, together, we can work out ANU to make it better for everyone involved, as well as stronger. Here, we can make our interests known and discuss together on the subject of the ANU with those in mind. As Chancellor Årnad has pointed out, the ANU has indeed provided a beneficial diplomatic link between PU and PGU states, and it has absolutely encouraged the warming of relations between many nations in both unions. I know that we can work to keep this process going and even to better it. That, my fellow delegates, is our job today. That said, let us begin the conference! I cannot wait to begin working with you all."

Puja sat down. As she did, Jean-Marc sighed to himself. It was time for the negotiations to begin.

Peter thanked the Syrixian Princess and the Goyan Chancellor for speaking, and then he turned his attention to the Illian representative.

'Monsieur el Trecht, I believe that you have more to say and since no one has addressed your concerns I hope you'll expand upon them so that we can better understand your position. However, if it pleases you, I ask that you not turn this meeting into a personal bereavement session. Whatever issues you or your nation has with any other present here, understand that this is a meeting for furthering peace and cooperation so let's not make this personal.'

He then sat back down to allow the Illian representative to speak.

Ab62845.png

TO: Kingdom of Arrandal
SUBJECT: ANU Conference Attendence

To her majesty, Queen Agatha Valteren, and the government of Arrandal:

The government of Destroedor thanks you for your invitation. We realize that we are joining the conference quite late and that it could already be in session, and we apologise for this. We have recently had internal affairs that needed to be dealt with.

As a member of the PU, we wish to participate in the discussions about the ANU. Creating a strong and positive relationship between the PU and the PGU is critical and we will assist in forming this relationship in any way we possibly can. I will be attending the conference myself.

Kelalani Paikuli
Chancellor of Destroedor

Elder Senator el Trecht continued to stand there, partially because he waited for an answer for his questions partially out of worry he could not stand again so easily should he sit back down, so instead he continues heavily leaning on his cane listening to delegations of Goyanes and Maloria almost cracking a smile over the outburst from Maloria's young monarch. He always loved the ill-tempered, going after himself so personally means he hit a nerve from the truth of his accusation. Though he shook his head as the Princess of Syrixia talked, completely ignoring his words and to him proving that they can not stand on the merits of saying they represent their people and just choosing to pray the issue will go away.

He waits until the room starts to go silent but before he could start on his case he hears the Chancellor of the Host Nation, Arrandal, The Quagmire of the Continent. He brings his hand to his face coughing softly to clear his throat before he talks again.

"Mr. Artois (Ar-to-es), while I would never stoop to the level of personal attacks. I would like to tell the Citizen from Maloria that I in fact am on my way to being an Octegenarian. In fact the only toddler my family has produced in many years is the first child of my eldest Grandchild, born during my 44th year in office.

But that in all seriousness is far besides the point. My entire point was not about the delegations but the fact that this will be a binding organization not between countries but between Alliances themselves. If we create this Council it could be created in a way that more nations vote against it then do for it due to the cross-over membership. Do we really want to create such an alliance when votes are cast not by the embodiment of will of its member-states but can be cast by paragons of uninterrupted tradition.

But to those who would say the ANU is a thing that must continue a third of the nations here who represent hundreds of millions of people were never party of this first version. And its entire roster of accomplishment is what? a failed council on a crisis that moved slowly enough that the council was canceled. I would also argue it has the potential to fracture relationships and inflame tensions between members. When one alliance has more votes then the other and passes something it wants then it could create animosity in the other alliance. Meanwhile putting enormous pressure on the likes of Xentherida and Maloria party to both organization and falling under the eye of both to vote how the other organization wants.

We must stand here and ask the question, 'why?'. Why do we need this organization it stands as an organization of organizations of allied nations. If the Meterrans and the Latins do the same will we then take the logical next step and create an Organization of Organizations of Organizations of Allied Nations. Especially because in all honesty here these two have nothing to do with each other, one a group of nations who share an ethnic anchor, but the other a group of nations in the common defense of an anchor geographic feature.

I think I have made enough points for right now and will yield my spotlight to another nation."

Mia saw her chance to capitalise on the debate, and quickly stood, almost knocking over her glass of water in progress. "I completely agree with Mr. el Trecht; yet another alliance is completely useless, and the same job can be done with just a simple treaty."

She bit her tongue, trying not to echo the Ilian concerns about the unelected leaders. She was one of many of a growing minority of republican Xentheridans, growing increasingly dissatisfied with the monarchy's power, and poor performance. But that was off topic; she had to focus at the task at hand.

"The treaty can just be very basic. An agreement for parties involved to co-operate with each other's governments, joint military exercises, whatever. New stuff can be proposed, voted upon, and all that. All the benefits of an alliance in one convenient treaty."

Mia sat quietly, waiting for responses.

Alice stood up once Mia was done, showing visible signs of her disgust over the nature of the meeting so far, and not afraid to voice her opinion.

"Personally, I think we're already off to a terrible start. We already have multiple nations in a state of tension. But... I agree with both the Senator from the Ilian Coalition and the representative from Xentherida that right now this proposed alliance or union, whatever it is, or is going to be, has no purpose.

"So, what are really doing here? Are we merging our nations into some super-nation with a federal government? I certainly hope not. Are we simply signing a treaty? A treaty of what? Friendship? Whoopty-freaking doo," Alice said, belligerently and unprofessionally waving her hands with clear signs of sarcasm.

"So, I ask again. What are we here for? A free trade agreement? The Principality certainly won't sign on to that. Why would we disadvantage ourselves with a globalized market that would cost the Silien people jobs? Collective defense? Sure, send your militaries to die for us knowing that we're not sending anything substantial in return, given our size. These are the things every one of you needs to take back to your... people... for..."

Alice froze up, realizing everything she said was in complete opposition to what she believed before. She thought that the Dorsettian aristocracy knew what was best for the nation, yet here she was defending the common peoples' right to self-determination. She sat back down with an odd stare on her face, confused and bewildered.

With Alice incapacitated, Malorie seized the opportunity to set the Dorsettian position straight.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Malorie began, "I certainly understand my colleague's objections, but I must state my partial disagreement with them. While I do agree that perhaps a combined union of our diverse nations, with its own legislative, executive, and judicial agenda, is not in each of their best interests given our diverse nature, a treaty of friendship and cooperation is no matter to be so easily dismissed as the Madam Speaker alluded to. We must seize upon this moment to let it be known throughout the region that our nations will support each other for the sake of regional stability.

"We must, however, decide how far such a treaty will reach. And so I ask that all the delegations bring forth their wishes and their objections to a joint effort between all of our nations. That being said, The Principality of Sil Dorsett... I'm assuming the Madam Speaker would agree... objects to any free trade agreement being part of the treaty, preferring each nation's economy to improve or decline on its own accord. However, I recommend the inclusion of a joint defense initiative. If we are going to work together, we must stand together, contributing whatever we have available.

"Once we've figured out the scope of such an agreement, we can talk about the ratification procedure."

Feeling victorious over her adversary, Malorie sat down smiling, confidently awaiting what other the other nations would recommend in reply.

As the Ilian delegation spoke Marten carefully listened so he could fully understand the Senator's point so he could give a proper response. He couldn't help but smirk as El Trecht called him a citizen though. However he was determined to address his concerns.

As the delegation from Xentherida spoke Marten did agree. He felt this didn’t need to turn into another failed alliance instead a treaty was more appropriate.

When Alice got up Marten was excited as he had believed that their beliefs aligned with each other but he was very wrong. She was acting like a toddler in front of the room. Now he had thought that he compared the wrong person to a child. He had enough of all this so got out of his seat once more and started to speak.

“Senator, could you please call me Emperor as that is my proper title. With that said I would like to acknowledge your problems with my being here. Under the advice of the Imperial Council which have been democratically elected and my cabinet I have chose to represent my people. Since it seems your concerns were about me, a person who was undemocratically elected representing my whole nation. I hope that you knowing that the democratically elected leaders did select me being here puts that issue to rest.

I also agree with the delegation from Xentherida. I believe a treaty would be far more appropriate than an alliance of alliances. The idea of an alliance of alliances is very silly in my opinion.

Now to the Silien Delegation. To her grace Alice, I would like to say that your errant behavior shown is very immature. Your behavior shown here today is very culpable and I believe is very insulting to the delegations present and the Silien People. Your wayward actions are very unexpected from someone of your status. So I advise you to remain sedentary unless you have something beneficial to the conversation.

For Representative Allen, I do agree with you a treaty should be made instead of an alliance. However I think a trade agreement would be far better than a military agreement as my nation would already be obliged to defend the Principality of Sil Dorsett anyways. However common ground I believe can be reached if we add a opt out clause for anything that this treaty would provide that a nation would disagree on or would go against their personal beliefs and that it would harm them. With that said I think I've said what I thought.”

Marten then sit back down in his seat and took a drink of his cup of water.

Kaleb slipped his phone back into his pocket, before standing and clearing his throat.

"Now that the tension has seemed to die down, I believe that a trade agreement would be very benificial to us all. After Kanada's slight isolation period in the early 2000's being over and a modernization of the economy being pushed into action, our nation is happy to expand relations with nations of all types."

"I have several questions, that the Queen has asked me to question. First, what will the ANU's position on things such as nuclear power. Our nation has begun importing uranium from Iraelia, and plans for nuclear power plants across a few cities have been drawn up, but more importantly, what will be the ANU's opinion on nuclear weapons. Some of these nations have nuclear weaponry."

He paused for a moment, thinking of his wording, "The Kanadian parliament have been... in favor of making nuclear bombs. Though I'm sure that if we only agree to a trade deal and not a military alliance, it won't really matter."

"Next question, which has already been asked, what would be the reason for a military alliance? Our government feels that only the Pan-Gotic Union members and our own private alliances are enough. We only want to send Kanadian men and women to so many places to help, why send our own soldiers to a nation we may barely interact with in a complete different alliance?"

He stepped back and sat back down.

It was unusual for Alice to feel embarrassment over anything she said or what someone else said about her, but the Malorian Emperor managed to do just that to her. Knowing all her credibility had been lost in her outburst, she stood up again to try and make a recovery.

"I'm aware I will disappoint His Imperial Majesty by not remaining sedentary, but I... I want to apologize to all the nations and their delegates in attendance for my outburst. Emperor Marten is right that it was unbecoming of someone of my position and pedigree to act that way. It was rude, it was unprofessional, it was inappropriate, and I am deeply sorry. If I may be given the time, I would like a second chance at explaining my position in an appropriate manner."

Hoping that the delegations would now lend her an ear, she took a second shot at explaining her position.

"It is no secret that personally I am not enthusiastic about international alliances, unlike my sister. We come from a variety of cultures, we each have our own needs and desires, and it is difficult to come up with any sort of treaty or some other legislation that is a 'one size fits all' package that is in the best interest of the people of all our nations. I personally believe that no organization should have influence over or decide the fate of another nation, and instead a nation's people should retain complete sovereignty. That is why I was opposed to my sister's royal decrees which signed the agreements to formally join the IAN and the Phoenix Union. However, while I'm here and our nation is bound to those agreements, I'll continue to provide suggestions to build upon. If you believe listening to me is simply not worth your time given my prior outburst, I understand. But I encourage you to perhaps consider granting mercy and hearing my contributions."

She paused a moment to grab a glass of water. Malorie in the meantime turned towards Alice and offered a gesture of approval. She was worried that Alice's opening salvo would turn the other nations away from the Principality, but became confident after witnessing Alice's change of heart.

With her thirst satisfied, Alice continued on. "I don't believe that designing a single treaty is the best course of action. Instead, I think it would be best if we used the time here as an open forum. I would not be opposed to these forums being held every so often in a variety of places, seeing as they are certainly more efficient than flying all over the world over months to meet with everyone. We can use the time to discuss the various issues impacting our nations and decide on a variety of actions that each nation can voluntarily implement, similar to Emperor Marten's suggestion of opt outs for each clause of a master treaty. Perhaps even multiple agreements of the same subject manner can be drafted, with each nation signing on to the one that fits their needs.

"For instance, I believe the question from Minister Smith about nuclear power is best not answered as a whole. All of us have our own opinions and it would be wrong for me or anyone here to dictate whether nuclear power should be legal or illegal in Kanada. The Principality uses nuclear power. It is cleaner than coal, it is more space efficient than other technologies such as solar, and it guarantees our energy independence. I however have no opinion over nuclear weapons. I feel that is best left to the Minister of Defense. I understand that some nations desire it as a deterrent, and other more belligerent nations probably shouldn't have them.

"For the question about a military alliance, I echo the opinion of Minister Smith, and thus disagree with my fellow countrywoman. While the Principality certainly needs the assistance, we, or at least those in Parliament, do not wish to enforce through a treaty that another nation's men and women fly or sail over to Norvalle the moment someone decides to threaten us.

"I believe I've made my points clear, and with that I yield."

Jean-Marc stood up. It was time for Esroniet to make its move.

"The opinions given by many of you are valuable to this process. Diplomacy is many things, but more often than not it is compromise." Jean-Marc looked around at everyone. "Here we are, representatives from a plethora of different states, all together at one table, with the majority of us agreeing on one concept. I must say now that the Kingdom of Esroniet is amongst this group."

Jean-Marc turned to Puja exclusively. "Your Grace, ANU was created for a noble purpose. It was created to ensure that two alliances had un lien d'amitié; a bond of friendship. But one of these two alliances has dissolved and been replaced by a successor alliance that has grown far beyond what its predecessor ever could. The other, meanwhile, has grown in size as well."

"I do not condemn the efforts of Syrixia in attempting to ensure solidarity and friendship between the two alliances- nay, I commend them- but the organization that is the Alliance of the Northern Unions has been outgrown to the point where it would be silly and problematic to keep it. It is time to forge something new, something better for everyone involved."

Jean-Marc turned to everybody again. "I have two children at home, two boys, in La Rochelle. When they were small, they used to love video games. Their games were their favorite things. But then they got older, and they grew bigger. Now they go outside, and play real sports. They got bigger, and so they decided to do something else to befit that. The Pan-Gotic and Phoenix Unions are bigger, and so we can no longer justify an entire organization linking both alliances. What is needed is, as has been suggested, a simple treaty of cooperation."

"I do not, however, agree with Her Highness's point about occasional forums." Jean-Marc remarked, turning exclusively to Alice. "That is une alliance déguisée- an alliance in disguise- and those forums are alliance meetings. I propose, instead, that we treat such a treaty in a manner that befits a treaty- should a nation in either alliance have an amendment they wish to propose, such an amendment would be proposed and deliberated within the legislature of that alliance, until it is finalized, wherein it would be sent to the legislature of the other alliance."

"Once both alliances approve, simultaneous votes should be held to solidify such an approval and, if both votes pass, the amendment is in place. But, as Miss Allen said, we must figure out the scope of such an agreement before we can even think to ratify it. Minister Smith has mentioned nuclear power, agreements on trade, and defense agreements. All these can, as well, be discussed and subsequently settled by a treaty. I therefore think that such deliberation on the conditions of a treaty and how such a treaty would work is best left to an official deliberation period."

"For that, we must come to a consensus on the idea of discussing about a treaty. Maloria has consented. Sil Dorsett has consented. Esroniet has consented. Kanada has consented. Xentherida has consented. Others have not as of yet." Jean-Marc turned to Puja. "I first shall ask you, Your Grace- what is your opinion on the matter of discussing about a treaty?"

Puja breathed heavily two times. It was evident she was thinking.

Årnad looked at Rosseau and stood.

"I think it would be beneficial to create a new treaty that lays out clear functions to the ANU, and that will clearly show separation between both alliances."

He returned to his seat, watching the debate continue.

Autumn stood up next, mostly dry this time.

"I have to agree that the best option for these two alliances is to form a treaty. A larger alliance seems wholly unnecessary given that a treaty will achieve a similar effect and is much simpler. A treaty can ensure peace and cooperation, without instilling complicated systems between sets of nations that are on opposite sides of Eras."

Satisfied with her short explanation, she returned to her seat.

While the argument was going on, Chancelleor Artois took the opportunity to have a few quick words with the Queen and her regent. If anyone had noticed they might have seen it get a little heated, but quickly die down. Artois returned to his seat and waited for another chance to speak up. Following the Equestrian representative's short speech, Artois quickly stood up and cleared his throat.

"I think there is perhaps some confusion amongst us all. You see the ANU was simply a treaty of friendship between alliances and what organization there was certainly had no power in enforcing its will over both Unions. There was no charter in place, no laws or regulations that bound its members to anything other than mutual friendship. Perhaps I am wrong, and this entire council is nothing but a farce. It certainly seems that way with how quickly many who are present here have chosen to flip their stance on this council following the first argument brought against the ANU without any real attempts to address the issues that the Illian representative brought forth.

Was the intent to leave only Arrandal to stand up for this alliance? We had been lead to believe that we would find support among our friends and allies here, but that does not seem to be the case. The Illians have brought up some good points to address but we don't feel throwing our nation to the wolves in favor of pleasing them, no offense meant to our friend El Trecht, to be fully productive either. We had hoped that someone could have at least attempted to stand with us and been willing to support the ANU in addressing its shortcomings before needlessly throwing it away.

To our fellow members of the Phoenix Union, shame on you for this insult to the integrity of our nation. We had hoped for some solidarity."

Sven rubbed the bridge of his nose, frustrated by this whole meeting. Sven and Johan spoke to each other in very quiet Andrennian. After a moment he muttered “What a mess..” under his breath, before clearing his throat and standing.

“Firstly I would like to follow up Mr. Artois’ comments.. Andrenne may not be in the Phoenix Union as a full member, but we are in the Pan-Gotic Union, and frankly I am shocked by many of the representatives from both alliances. In particular I am shocked by the representatives of Esroniet. I must ask, is there any point in abolishing one treaty for another one that will be identical? I believe most of us realize that a new treaty will just be restating the same thing as the old one did- The Pan-Gotic Union and the Phoenix Union will cooperate and attempt to maintain friendly relations, of course the treaty states that much more.. Officially. My point is what is the point in abolishing the old treaty altogether? There’s no binding legislation on this treaty for either alliances, it has no say over any of the members, it is simply a pact of friendship. The nation of Andrenne doesn’t believe this pact should have any real binding legislation over either alliance because that is what the separate alliances are there for in the first place. I also would like to state that we do not believe the meetings of the ANU would be to discuss legislations, but rather to cooperate with the other alliance, in various ways. Now, with that over we would also like to state that Andrenne does not believe a formal deliberation period should begin until we can figure whether or not to amend the old treaty or to scrap it for a new one.”

With that, Sven sat back down, waiting for the response to his speech. He was.. Anxious to say the least. What if a single response completely cut down his ideas? He thought for a moment, his hand noticeably twitching a bit. He took a deep breath, calming down a bit.
(I'll fix errors later, too tired to fix stuff now)

Back