"The motion and seconding is recognized. My aides are now passing out ballots."

Code:
[b]Nation:[/b]
[b]Admit the Norsian Commonwealth as an observer?[/b] < YEA | NAY | ABSTAIN >

Nation: Prydania
Admit the Norsian Commonwealth as an observer? < YEA >

Nation: Vallish Confederation
Admit the Norsian Commonwealth as an observer? < ABSTAIN >

Sheepishly, Harris Oyvindsson cast Gotmark's vote on the motion.

Nation: Gotmark
Admit the Norsian Commonwealth as an observer? < YEA >

Årnad stood,

"This vote is now over. The results are 8 Yea, and 3 Abstains. Norsia is admitted as an observer member."

I suggest we begin discussion on the Demescian application with haste."

[OOC NOTE: OP has been updated in accordance with the recent vote]

Harris Oyvindsson, halfway to his feet to leave, was subtly dragged back down by Kewin Gunnarsson, who indicated he should speak. Audibly sighing to get attention, the Princeling remained seated, as was the Gotmark delegation's style, and spoke.

"The Grand Duchy finds the application by the Demescians interesting. We are concerned over the potential for them to be used as a proxy in this organisation, either by the META or more likely their other former colonial overlord, the Commonwealth. We would also like the Demescians to provide further details on the number of Gotics residing within their nation."

Harris finished speaking, looking at Kewin with mild annoyance, who merely shook his head, and the Prince remained seated to take in the rest of the session.

Årnad stood.

"I second the request for information made by Mr. Oyvindsson. We cannot allow organizations outside of our interests to place proxies within our hallowed halls."

“I have some news I’d like to discuss,” Jaevar Staufenberg spoke up. “Due to recent events, including the creation of an Aernish Free State, the Hastfradic League has officially disbanded. This is because it was decided that the term ‘Hastfradic’ was not sufficient to represent the alliance of nations within the Vestrugat anymore. The government will be going through some restructuring over the next few weeks but for the most part it will be the same people in charge. So I no longer represent the HL but will now represent the Federation of the Vestrugat.

“So on behalf of the newly formed federation, I wish to hearby reaffirm our membership to the Pan Gotic Union.”

Årnad stood.

"I understand Mr. Staufenberg. We welcome the Federation with the same open arms we did for the League."

[OOC: OP has been updated in accordance with recent events.]

Meyer stood.

"I second this. Valland heartily welcomes the new Federation, and wishes it well."

Kif Krogh cleared his throat.

"Ambassador Staufenberg. The Kingdom of Prydania wishes your government the best in its efforts to restructure, and we are grateful for your continued support of this Union."

He took a sip of his water before continuing.
"Regarding the Demescian application? We support Prince Oyvindsson and Chancellor Årnad. We would like to know the extent of Gotic culture and language within Demescia before we consider their application."

Some information about Demescian ethnicity:
vUb9YyJ.png

Note: erroneous category; by "Nordic" we meant "Gotic." Forgive us for the inconvenience

There was a brisk reply from Vistell, who hadn't spoke, at least not to the rest of the PGU, for awhile. She had been muttering in quiet Andrennian when appropriate to the other Andrennian representatives up until this point.

"We would like to second this motion to vote."

Årnad stood.

"I hear the seconding of the motion. My aides are passing out ballots now."

Code:
Vote:

[b]Nation:[/b]
[b]Admit Demescia as an Observer Member?[/b] <YEA | NAY | ABSTAIN>

Nation: Vallish Confederation
Admit Demescia as an Observer Member? <ABSTAIN>

Prince Harris Oyvindsson made Gotmark's vote, his collar worn high yet not quite hiding a large red mark on his neck.

Nation: Gotmark
Admit Demescia as an Observer Member? NAY

Nation: Prydania
Admit Demescia as an Observer Member? <YEA>

Årnad stood.

"All votes have been counted. There are two ayes, five nays, and four abstentions. The motion does not pass."

Stefan Omdahl stood before the assembled Pan-Gotic Council, prepared to address the representatives present.

"I am Stefan Omdahl, here on behalf of Her Royal Highness High Queen Solveig, His Excellency Sven Mathison, and the Kingdom of Merilia. Long have we stood on the sidelines of the world stage and kept to our own affairs, only having joined the Trillium Compact as an associate member to stand on the side of democracy, diplomacy, and humanitarianism. Now however there are many in positions of power who feel that the time is right for the Kingdom to seek admittance to the Pan-Gotic Union and further cultural ties with fellow Gotic nations. As I am familiar with the Union's Constitution and its mutual defense clauses, I must stress that the Kingdom still adheres to a simple policy of neutrality. Should we be accepted as a member of this Union, we will be seeking to opt out of this clause, similar to what we had accomplished with the Representatives of the Trillium Compact and our membership there. Should there be any questions about Merilia's culture or heritage, feel free to ask otherwise I shall leave you to debate on our application."

(OOC Edit: I had changed my entire nation in a rewrite about a month back and went back to one of the original ideas I had of my nation which was very heavily influenced by Nordic culture. Changes can be seen here in my new forum factbook (http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9151058/1/)).

Prince Harris Oyvindsson was first to speak, leaning forward and looking upon the Merillian representative with some distaste. "You say the Kingdom of Merilla will seek to opt-out of the Pan Gotic Union's mutual defense clause. What then, will you offer, when one of your so-called allies is attacked? This is not just a cultural club for Gotic nations, it is a fraternal union that respects and aids each other, especially when attacked by an enemy. What does the Kingdom bring to the table that means we should allow you to opt out of one the core parts of our constitution?"

The Prince finished, then hurriedly pulled the sleeve down on his arm, covering a bandage that had been revealed when he touched the microphone and the sleeve slipped up.

Anders Meyer stood to speak.

"On behalf of the Vallish Confederation I echo Prince Harris' words. If the Merilian League wishes to adhere to strict neutrality, why has it applied to join this alliance? Our defense clause cannot simply be opted out of. It is binding."

Kari shifted in her seat and leaned towards the microphone, speaking in a sleepy tone.

“Although we have no problem from a cultural point of view, we know they’re Gotic, we would like to ask if they have some form of dossier which contains basic information such as economics and current political ties, so on and so forth. Even if they may be well known for their economy the information should still be available for citation or reference.”

A yawn as she leaned back for a second before speaking into the mic again.

“Aside from this we agree with Gotmark in the fact that they have offered no incentive to the PGU in return for us allowing them to bypass a binding regulation. If one nation can opt out of a binding resolution without incentive it would only encourage others to do the same and soon we would no longer have a mutual defense clause.”

She leaned back in her chair, taking a sip from a mug of tea that had gone cold at this point. The mug was a travel mug but it had a holder on it that seemed to be from a tacky gift shop back in Andrenne and read “Drinking like an Andrennian...”

Back