Blood and Iron

Kanada

TNPer
TNP Nation
Kanada
Discord
icebergspaz#1398
Two older men sat atop a lookout post. They wore faded blue Kalgarian militia uniforms, and had their muskets at their sides. They chatted as they ate their lunch.
“I don’t understand why we have to watch over this valley. There hasn’t been a war between Kalgary and Sundeon in years.” Says the taller one, taking a bite of his rations.
The other looked up from his food. “Exactly, the two duchies are always fighting. The government is expecting an attack eventually.”
“Well, I just want to go home. I’m getting tired of these bland meals. Bread, bread, bread! I feel there is no reason for us to be stationed here. The reason why the two have stopped fighting is because they finally got some sense in them. An attack won’t be coming anytime soon.” The taller one retorted.
They continued eating. Not even 3 minutes later, a gunshot was heard in the distance.
“An attack?" The shorter one asked, reaching for his musket.
“Oh, hush. It was one gunshot. Probably a hunter-” The man’s sentence was interrupted as more gunshots sounded. A bullet hole appeared in the woodwork near the shorter one.
“I’m pretty sure that I see multiple divisions of militia down there.” He said, pulling back the hammer on his gun. Down below, in the valley, nearly 500 men were marching through the freshly laid snow.
“That's more than we can handle,” said the shorter one. The other agreed, and they crawled down the ladder, running off to warn the divisional commander. Two minutes later, the town was in Sundeonian hands without a fight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(In Kalgary, the capital.)
A messenger ran up to Grand Duke, Hulann Kanad.
“Your majesty, I have news from the south, near the Sundeonian border!” The messenger conveyed.
“What happened?” The Duke replied.
“The town of Ünderstol has been taking by the Sundeonians!”
“Oh my. How many casualties did we take?
“None, sir. The two men sent to scout outside the village ran away. They said that there were at least 400 men marching towards them!”
“This isn’t good… A declaration of war was given to me just a few hours ago. I told the generals to get ready for the trip south. I was hoping we would be on the offensive. Do they outnumber us in total?”
“I don’t know, the rest of the duchies are helping them, except for Ünpei, who supports us. But our total army with militia included is 135000 men strong.
The Duke fiddled with his mustache. “Well then, if they are already attacking, tell general Turenkoph to send his army of 16000 to try and take back the town. After, tell general Terril to take his army of 15000 to dig in trenches and build defences around the capital. The rest of the army. Where is the rest of the army?”
“In the mountains near Cogoria, sir. Patrolling, the usual.” The messenger replied
“Bring them back here, we need to defend the border.”
“Of course, sir.” And the messenger left the room in a hurry.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Closed RP
23d12b4da25c400b3d6ed919d0bc60ab.jpg
Edit: No new nations may join this RP. The nations that are already here: Cogoria, Maloria, Andrenne, Esplandia, Flakeia

Last edited:
All along the Cogorian border, soldiers patrolled the fire steps of their frontier forts, the wood softly creaking beneath them. There had been talk of constructing stone fortresses along the border with their belligerent neighbours, but since the wars had died out and the fact they'd never spilled across into Cogoria, they were never built. Instead a few wooden forts had been thrown up to maintain a vigil, and provide a place to send the dregs of the army. The forts were large enough to garrison a battalion of men and had a handful of canon. But the defences often fell into disrepair due to the negligence of the undisciplined men guarding them. There were a few exceptions however.
Fort 13 was located close to where the Duchies of Calgary and Sundeon met along the Cogorian border. Months earlier it had been as undisciplined as the majority of the forts, but recently a new major had been sent to take command. Upon his arrival he had set about putting the rabble of a garrison to work. The vegetation had been hacked back away from the walls to the extent of the fort's canon range, the crumbling barricades had been repaired, and the rotting logs of the walls replaced. More importantly he set about drilling his men and turning them into a true fighting force, a unit that could proudly take it's place among the forces of the Czarina. Day after day they practiced marching, wheeling, loading and firing. The canons were fired until the gunners could hit their marks 85 out of 100 times. The men slowly began to take pride in their work, they seemed uplifted by this new sense of purpose. Where previously they had been called useless, slovenly and undisciplined, here was an officer who made an effort to see past their pasts, their origins and see the soldiers within waiting to come out. Without needing to encourage it, uniforms began to be turned out in true parade fashion. Tunics cleaned and buttons polished, it wasn't long before the rabble of the past were a distant memory, outshone by the soldiers that now stood in their place. Little did the garrison of fort thirteen know but this preparation would save most of their lives. A short distance across the border a new war was erupting, and all that stood between it and Cogoria was the 4th Battalion Company A of the 31st Line Regiment, Assigned Garrison Duties Border Fort #13.

Far to the north west of the border, a great host of Cogorian troops was marching through the city of Rokovogorod, to mark the Crown Prince's coming of age. Regiment after regiment proudly marched passed, resplendent in their green tunics, flags snapping in the breeze. The crowds stood to the side cheering and waving their flags, the roar occasionally diminishing or growing depending on the regiment passing at the time. However the loudest cheers of approval came Foot Guards marched by, their tall plumes marking them seem taller than they already were. It was hard to believe that in a short space of time, these soldiers partaking in the revelry would soon be embroiled in a bloody conflict from which many would not return. But while that war grew to the east, the people of Cogoria celebrated a birthday

In the royal library the king is waiting for the ambassador from Sundeon. He sits down in his oak chair by the fire. As he is sitting there he stares into the fire as it crackles and turns.

After several minutes of sitting he finally hears footsteps down the hall. Then the Keninklike Garde that are guarding the doors open them up. Without hesitation the king gets up from his chair and greets the ambassador.

“Ambassador Gorgi, thank you for coming to meet me” the king said happily.

As the ambassador bowed he said “always your Grace, how may I be of assistance?”

“I'm sure you're aware of the war raging between your nation and the Duchy of Calgary?”

“Of course your Grace.”

“It is my understanding that the economy of Sundeon is struggling.”

“Well your grac-” the ambassador tried to speak as he was cut off by the king.

“Well what, I know it's true. You're a landlocked nation that is in the middle of a war. Of course your economy is struggling. So your excellency I have a proposal, I will give your duchy the help it needs if I can wed the Duke’s niece. So your excellency please send this message to the Duke.”

“It will be done your Grace” the ambassador says as he bows and leaves the room.

The king waits for the ambassador to leave before he signals in one of the members of the Keninklike Garde. The guard walks in and salutes the king as the king motions him to put his hand down.

“I want you to send a message to General Borren immediately telling him to take his 15,000 men and march them to the Cogorian border and to send another one to General Ebert commanding him to take his 30,000 men to Abbega at the Sundeon border.”

“I will do it at once your Grace” said the soldier as he marched out of the royal library. Finally the king sat back down in his oak chair staring back into the fire thinking about the war to come.

(5:30 AM, Nuberal hill near the Kalgarian/Sundeonian border)
7000 Kanadian soldiers march loudly through the snowy forest. You can hear the drummers and the fife players, along with the soldiers loudly singing their marching tunes.
They have been ordered to take Nuberal Hill, a large hill with 50 foot cliffs to the north, west, and south. The only way to walk up is a slope on the east side, about 40 meters wide. Spy reports had shown that the bulk of the Sundeonian army was farther east. Why would they be this far west? Cogoria was the least of their problems. They probably had a few dozen men arming the small wooden walls at the top of the hill. They’d kick the Sundeonians out, and take the hill for themselves. It would be easy.
Atop the hill, the 420 soldiers left behind to defend the hill were in disarray. There was an army coming towards them! A scout runs up to the commander.
“Sir! The Kalgarians are just a few miles away, and approaching fast!” The scout blurted out with a sloppy salute.
“Oh, get the men awake and at the battle stations. Quickly.” The commander responded. The scout nodded and ran to the barracks, sounding a bell and yelling. “The Blue’s are a-coming! The Blue’s are a-coming!” Men rushed out of their bunks and put on their bright Red uniforms, grabbing themselves some musket balls and gunpowder before sprinting out towards the wooden walls. They loaded their muskets with extreme speeds and held fire until the command was given. The navy blue mob appeared out of the trees and-
“FIRE!”
A volley of fire rains down on the Kalgarians. Red stains their blue uniforms. They stop marching and attempt to return fire, whilst spreading out their lines. The Calgarian projectiles fail to reach the fort, and hit the rock several feet below.
“We are too far away to hit them! Move forward!” Commands General Sean Kanad. Most of the regiments in front have lost at least half their men from the constant musket and cannon fire, but they trudge on, advancing and firing at the same time. After a while they are just 40 feet from the cliffside. They fire and manage to get their musket balls to reach the enemy soldiers. It is still an awkward angle, but they force the Sundeonians to be more careful, and to find cover when reloading, slowing their rate of fire. Whilst 3000 men were left to keep firing on the hill, Sean led the other 4000 men to the slope.
The Sundeonians noticed the Calgarians advancing towards the slope, and move around 150 men to defend that slope. They quickly set up cover and prepared for the onslaught. The Calgarians marched up the slope, getting closer and closer with every step. The Sundeonian muskets held fire until the Kalgarians were just around 10 feet away, and fired.
Shots rang out across the countryside as the first two lines almost immediately fell. The assault’s leading divisions began to waver as nearly a quarter of their numbers fell in less than 15 seconds. As the Sundeonians fired a second volley, the leading divisions broke and ran down the hill. The second wave had bayonets at the ready, and opened fire onto the reloading Sundeonians before charging in, screaming like madmen. The charging men crashed into the defenders, and the Sundeonians were crushed by the sheer number of Kalgarians. The ones in the back of the defending lines ran towards the middle of the hill, where the command post was.
The defenders by the cliff saw what was happening and retreated into the command post as well. They fired out of windows and threw burning bags of gunpowder at the Calgarians, but after a while, they were forced to surrender. They were taken prisoner and the Kalgarians had control of the hill. They almost immediately began construction on stone defences on top of the hill.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(3:40 PM, the Sundeonian Royal Palace in Ft. Foster)
“Sir! Sir! The Kalgarians have attacked Nuberal Hill!” A messenger shouts as he runs into the throne room. “412 of the 421 defending the fort were either killed or taken prisoner. The others ran.”
The duke frowned at the man. “Well, can we take it back?” The messenger shook his head. “No sir, the Kalgarians left around 1000 men to defend the hill. It would be suicide to do a head on assault.” He said, pulling a roll of paper out of his bag. It was a map of the hill from above. The duke studied it. “What if we were to attack from the north. Flank around.”
“How would we manage to get around? To the west is Cogoria, and we couldn’t go through th-” The duke interrupted him. “But we could. We just need to sneak an army around the fort through Cogoria. It wouldn’t take that long, maybe a couple of hours.” The messenger looked uncomfortable. “Sir, that is a very big risk.” “Well I am a risk taker, then. Tell General Mulcher to take his army around the hill.” The messenger nodded. “Yes sir, one more thing. I was told by the ambassador to Maloria that they have offered a royal marriage with your niece.” The duke looked over at the 19 year old, laughing as she played dolls with the duke’s 4 year old daughter. “Ellie? I suppose she has come of age to marry. What dowry have they offered?” “They have offered help with the war. Maybe an alliance of sorts.” The duke sighed. “I guess we need every ally we can get. I accept. Now get onto Mulcher.”
“Yes sir.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mulcher’s army waits at the Sundeonian/Cogorian border. They are to walk through Cogorian territory at midnight that night.

Last edited:
A message had arrived in Bravondy from the far north. It was a summons to war, calling upon the allies of Calgary to march against their foes. The Grand Prince Kasper II Calgviac solemnly read the message, pretending to take longer reading then he needed. He was tempted to make vague promises and ignore the summons. He was an old man and his realm was at peace. He should be allowed to enjoy it. But he was no coward, and no oath breaker. He returned the message to the courier and declared “the forces of Grand Arrand will answer.”

And so the message went out, summoning many lords and retainers, raising what levies could be raised quickly. There would be a muster in Stoneport. Vessels would need to be procured to take the gathered forces north. He hoped to sail before the first winter freezes. He had strong sons who could rule if he perished, and his nobles had long been pacified against rebellion. Perhaps this would be his last foray at the head of an army, a last chance to earn personal glory.

After hearing that the Duke of Sundeon had accepted the marriage proposal Keizer Alwin started planning immediately. He had gathered most of his generals and cabinet in the royal palace in the countryside outside of the capital Bergum for dinner. They would be having venison cooked medium-rare with a very rich wine that was imported from the best vineyards in Maloria.

Alwin stared at the men as they ate the food and gulped down the wine waiting for them to stop so he could speak. They finally understood the meaning of his gaze and stopped eating. He waited for another good minute creating an awkward silence amongst the group as he stared at them.

He finally started to speak “Thank you gentlemen for coming here tonight. It is with great excitement that I tell you all that the Duke of Sundeon has accepted my marriage proposal to his niece. Of course this will mean that we will help them in their war against the Duchy of Calgary however the marriage will not take place in Maloria but instead it will take place in Sundeon.”

“You all surely are aware that I have sent General Ebert north to Abbega with 30,000 men. After counseling from my other generals I understand that 30,000 men isn't enough to fight this war and help Sundeon.” Alwin looked at General Bane who was seated directly beside of him and said “You will hereby go around the empire and conscript as much men as you can. We need every man for this war. I personally will leave tonight with 5,000 men and will march up to Abbega and I will meet up with General Emert, after you get your soldiers you will march to Abbega and we will advance to Sundeon so I can marry the Duke’s niece.”

As the men had already devoured their food Alwin thought it was time to bring this dinner to a close. He maybe disgusted by his advisors but they were good at their jobs and loyal. Not a lot of rulers can say that about their constituents.

“I think the perfect way to end this dinner my friends is by a toast. For Maloria and for the future!” Alwin said. And the group followed. After saying their goodbyes General Bane and Alwin parted ways.

Most other Calgarian generals paled in the comparison to General Sean I. Kanad, whom was young, organized, and knew when to take risks and be careful. Most other generals were rich old bigwigs who threw troops into meat grinder situations. This is what made the Duke send his most beloved general to the far West, to hold miles on miles of front by himself. His less competent generals were sent to the Eastern fronts. One great example of them throwing troops into certain death was the battle of Sereb Stadt, a small town placed two miles south of the border. General Mausor Turenkoph, who was in his late sixties, led his huge army of 16,000 men towards this town. He never told his officers what to do, other than take the town. This lead to confusion, and divisions accidentally clashing into others of the same army.
The 4000 men defending the town had a wonderful time, staring down at the huge mob, slowly moving all over, running into themselves, and sometimes even end up heading the wrong direction. By the time the whole army was getting close to the town, around 300 men had already been killed or injured. Trampled or possibly walked into another man’s bayonet. The Sundeonians easily defended the town from the unorganized first wave, and had time to call another 2000 men from the next town over to help. They fired down the small hill at the advancing blob, and they had a group of artillery fire grape shot directly into the front lines. They attempted to loosen into an envelope type opening, to surround the town, but the disorganization made it impossible to do the simplest of tasks.
When the general was informed things weren’t doing well, he simply stated, “Send in the Highlanders.” The Highlanders were a group of highly trained individuals, who grew up in the harsh mountaintops, and it takes a lot for them to break. They march forward in their bright white uniforms, feathers pluming from their tall hats. With the loud shout of their officer, they begin running in unison, before slowing halfway up the hill, firing a volley, and reloading, all whilst shuffling up the hill. They manage to get off a second volley before charging up with bayonets level. The Sundeonians fire off a volley seconds before the Highlanders smash into their undertrained lines. Calgarian Militia charges up the hill to support the Highlanders, and the Sundeonian and Calgarian artillery fire into the blob, with no regards to their own soldiers in there.
After a straight hour of fistfights and bayonet duels, the Sundeonian lines weaken. They fall back to the second hill within the town. By this time, a Sundeonian army of 6,000 men is walking quickly to support their outnumbered troops. They reach their fellow men and set up loose defenses around the hill. The Calgarians don’t even set up camp for a while. The general finally comes to the front and forms his troops back up. He then orders them to… take the town… before walking off. Once again, the lack of coordination is harsh, leading the advance to be slower. Artillery tears the divisions to pieces. The Highlanders again lead the charge up the hill, the entire army slowly crushing the Sundeonians. After another half an hour of brutal fighting, the Calgarians fall back, their broken army retreating.
Calgarian Casualties: 6,800
Sundeonian Casualties: 3,520
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The entire army crept through Cogorian grounds. Only high officers had been told about sneaking through a foreign nation. The commons didn’t know. They were only told that they would be flanking the enemy, in the silence of the night. Every time a twig broke or a man sneezed, the entire army halted for a moment before continuing. One of the leading regiments, Sundeonian 63rd Militia, halted suddenly as talking was heard. A lantern was seen, and the officer quietly hissed for his men to stop. Muskets were quietly leveled, and the officer motioned for them to lower them. A short man walked forward and whispered, “It must be a Calgarian scout. I’ll shoot him.” And the officer sneered at him and whispered back, “Don’t even try. Wait for them to pass.” But the scout heard them and turned, walking towards them. The short man raised his flintlock sidearm and pointed it at the ‘Calgarian’. The officer looked like he was ready to strangle the soldier. He spoke louder than he meant to, “Don’t fire that gun! We are in-” a gunshot echoed throughout the woods. “Cogoria…”
At 2 AM, November 6th, 1811, Enscript Seth Hymar fired on a Cogorian scout.

It was late in the morning when the patrol returned, scrambling over the earth works and through the gates of Fort 13, they were a man short. Within ten minutes, the Major had been briefed and the brassy notes of the bugle summoned the sleeping garrison to muster. There was no rousing speech, no master plans drawn up. The men merely manned their canons and loaded their muskets. The youngest lieutenant was given a message and a horse. And while the fort's garrison prepared to repulse the invaders, the young officer galloped away to warn the rest of the nation of the attack.
The fort itself was situated on a small hill overlooking a bridge over a river flowing through the mountain passes. Whatever army heading North would need that crossing to move artillery. Well within the range of the forts guns, an army hoping to use the bridge would need to sneak by. But now with the element of surprise gone, the invaders would need to silence the fort

The officer leaped towards the short man, "YOU IDIOT! DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE STARTED?" the officer screamed in his face, and the shorter soldier shook his head, terrified. The officer tore the private strap off his shoulder and threw it into the mud, "You're no longer part of my company," the officer spit in the soldier's face. He turned to a nearby cavalry group, "One of you, run to the general and tell him what mistakes have been made."
A young man on his steed nodded and turned his horse. He galloped off, and was by the general in a few minutes, "Sire," he said, "We've provoked the enemy..." The general stared, dumbfounded at the man, "You've... shot at them? After I give orders to not fire? This isn't good, if we retreat back into Sundeon now, we might get caught by reinforcements of Kanad, but if we keep advancing, we'll be under fire from the Cogorian fort." He pointed towards a glooming shape in the distance, "We shall take the fort. Tell the army to get ready."
------------------
As the sun began to rise in the distance and the land was blanketed in light, the army marched full speed towards the fortress. Forming a loose semicircle, they quickly surrounded the southern side of the fortress. The Sundeonian Highlanders charge forward, skidding across the grass with guns at the ready. Artillery is primed and peeks out of the treeline, before opening full fire. Cannonballs are lobbed at the fortress, and the Highlanders grow closer. The fort's artillery opens fire, as do the muskets. The Highlanders halt the advance and fire back at the Cogorians. They attempt to get behind cover and hold the line until the rest of the army came. Four companies of militia advance and begin to dig trenches, about 120 yards from the fort. They crouch into their ditches and call back the Highlanders, which have only taken very light casualties. They leap into the trench and take cover as a wave of artillery smashes into their lines.
More troops from the Sundeonian army rushes forward and dig in, as the artillery continues to pound the fort. An ear-shattering cry echoes out, and 3 groups of musketeers charge forward. Each group has two or three men with hooks and ropes. They plan to scale the walls and kill them all.

General Sean Kanad's army continues their march south as winter closes in. They find little resistance until they reach the city of Senneran. Artillery rolls up onto the foothills that surround the city, as a reformed army of nearly 11,000 men that was sent to the General wrapped around the city in a loose circle. The cannons tear through buildings and people alike, leaving craters in the streets. Cavalry conduct daily raids on the outskirts of town. The already small numbers of defenders dwindle, and civilians take up weapons to defend their city. One fateful morning, General Sean orders an attack. Thousands of men armed to the teeth with high quality weapons and ammunition walk down from the foothills, and march into the valley. The artillery fire onto the thinly spread defenders, who try their best to hold off the onslaught. The attackers form around in a loose semicircle, and fire volley after volley. After the officers' pocket watches hit 11 AM, they charge forward, bayonets leveled.
The men surged forward, intent of killing every one of the damned Sundeonians. They crash into the untrained civilians, and slice their way through. Cavalry smash into the weak flanks, and attack the defenders from the back. They break and surrender. General Sean himself goes into his town ahead of his army, atop his horse. A scout runs forward.
"Sir! The Sundeonians are sending an army! A large one, straight west, to crush us." The scout stares at the General who rubs his chin. "Well, let us set up defences here. We can let them try and take back their city."
Defences are built around the city. Spikes sticking out of the ground to stop cavalry, trenches dug to shelter troops, and acres of dirt upturned, so that boots would get stuck and wheels would be stopped. Food and ammo is stockpiled, in case this turns into a long, painful siege. One night, campfires are seen distantly outside town. Scouts go out to investigate.
They do not return.

Flakeia (Cremeden in the 1800s) had started to become wary of the army movements in the north. At the gathering of the states in Flakey City, the northern states had wanted to join the battle to gain more lands. The southern states wanted to stay neutral so that the other nations won't come in and destroy and steal Flakeian lands. "It's not our problem at all.", said Governeur Frankie Brambles. "Well, they're going to probably attack us soon!", argued Governuer Alexander Heathers. Speaker of the House, John Robenspierre had to calm down the two arguing governuers. Lord Wilson Flakey had decided to join with Governuer Heathers and join the battle to help Sundeon.

A gunshot echoes out and a man tumbles off the ladder and falls into the mud, a hole in his forehead. Screams echo out along with alarm bells. An array of clicks come out from the Calgarian muskets and they aim into the Senneranian fields. An officer screams to fire, and the tips of the muskets come alive with red light as they lob the small, round chunks of metal across the green. Screams of agony rain out of the tall grass as more men dressed in red come out of the trees. They are dressed in dark red great coats, showing they are militia. Why would they send the weakest, least trained units out first? They'd hardly soften up the Calgarians' defenses. Booms sounded in the distance and red rays of light quickly crossed the sky and pounded against the defenses, strewing limbs out of the ditches and onto the ground. The Calgarian artillery fired back as fast as they could, but the Sundeonians simply had more. More ammunition, more guns, more men. They fell back from their forward positions as the Sundeonians charged with bayonets. They filled in behind a second wall, made of more mud and sticks, but on a hill slope, so the enemy would be forced to march upwards, giving them a disadvantage. General Sean exited his commanding tent, and got on his white horse, before riding up to the lines. "Status report, please." He asked a nearby officer.
"Sir, we've had to fall back to the second row of defences, and we have taken about two hundred casualties. Only about 10,500 soldiers remain fit to fight. The Sundeonians have many, many more!" The officer answered. Sean stared into the distance, thinking. Out of nowhere a cannonball smashed through the house nearby him, shattering the roof and making large parts of the building collapse. "Sir, maybe you should return to your ten-" "Nonsense. This position is perfectly safe. Why, I can see nearly all of the battle from here. A young man ran past the general, wearing tattered clothes and coughing up blood, "You there! What happened?" The young man looked up. A large cut ran from his upper chest straight down, to nearby his waist, "I was one of the people left on the first wall. They skewered us," he continued running towards city center.
Sean looked back at the battle. There was no way they could win this, they were outnumber 2 to 1. Get the men ready to leave, and run them to the harbor at noon. We shall escape through the lake." The officer stared at him, "Where will we go? I've heard rumors that Maloria is going to help Sundeon, with a royal marriage and everything!" The general looked rather distasteful at the wedding, "Yes, their duke is going to marry the Sundeonian Duke's niece, Ellie. But trust me. Get the men to retreat to the harbor and set up camp. We will leave at night," the officer nodded and Sean rode off towards the harbor, telling men who were running towards the battle lines to follow him to the docks instead.

The Sundeonian duke read over the message from Flakeia. Haha, another ally! Not only did Sundeon have all the other duchies and Maloria, but Flakeia as well! What did those damn Calgarians have? Arrandal, all the way across the continent, a navy which couldn't even touch Sundeon, and a twenty one year old general. When he thought about Sean, his expression soured. That kid was commanding an army and destroying crops all over the west. Whatever, he had sent one of his most experienced generals with an army of 18,000 to squish him. With the huge Calgarian losses in the north-east, this war was going very well.
A messanger walked into the throne room and went up to the duke, "Sire, we have news from the Cogorian border. Our army has provoked the Cogorians when a man shot a Cogorian scout." The duke nearly dropped his wine glass. He glared at the messanger, "My, my... hopefully our men got out of there quickly, and we can negotiate terms with Cogoria for peace." The messanger took a step back, "W-well actually s-sire, we're currently attacting a b-border fort." The duke actually dropped his wine glass, and it shattered on the floor.

Governuer Heathers had sent a naval blockade onto Calgary and had stopped imports to them. The naval fleet was led by the FL Gleaming, their greatest ship. The 24 ships had approached the Calgarian coast, and secretly unloaded some soldiers to hide in the country. The FL Sol had secretly slunk away, unkown to the rest of the fleet. Captain of the Sol, Maxwell Carter had decided to attack Cogoria, though he was strictly told not to so Flakeia could avoid more conflicts. As the Sol neared Cogorian waters, they got the guns ready. Then Captain Carter had given the orders to fire. The Sol had fired some shells at a Cogorian dock, causing some civillians to panic. The Sol slunk away again, trying to not be spotted by anyone.

Grand Duke Hulann Kanad laughed at the messanger. Flakeia, with their pitiful navy, was going to try and blockade the mighty Calgarian Navy? The pride of the duchy? The Duke ordered the High First Admiral to bring the 1st and 2nd Naval Division, and crush the ships that oppose them. Each group held a 90 gun second rate Ship-of-the-line, two 75 gun third rates, four to five fourth rates, with about 55 guns, 5 sixth rate frigates, each with 30-35 guns. Roughly 15 schooners and sloops dotted around to support the larger ships.
And the flagship of the Calgarian navy, something that the duke had been saving up for, and that had been under construction in secret for years. The mighty First Rate "Snowcapped", with its billowing white sails. It held 106 guns, and took a crew of 780 men to use it effectively. It rode with the first Naval Division, and if it did not scare off the Flakeian ships, it would destroy them in a volley of flying chunks of metal.
The ships rode out in the morning. These Flakeians would regret ever joining the war.
73aa4b9f528be717e528b0a8730be671.jpg

"Outside my farm! I swear!" The farmer yelled at the militiaman, "A whole bunch o' men! Wearing some foreign uniform!" The soldier stared at him, "There is no way a man not dressed in navy blue was this far north, near the shore. This is war, no time for fooling around."
"But I saw 'em come off their ships! They just walked off their boats and ran into the forest." "Leave me alone, I have a job to do."

As the Sol had traveled back to the Calgarian waters, they spotted the "Snowcapped" and its fleet riding out to the Flakeian fleet. Captain Carter ordered a messenger to travel back to the Gleaming. They reported they were leaded by a large flagship, a quarter bigger than the Gleaming with more guns and more ships following by. As the messenger boated away, the Sol decided to intercept the boat and attack. They fired 4 shells at the Snowcapped, only to get hit with a shell that had just skipped across the Sol's hull. Though the Snowcapped was bigger, the Sol was faster. The Flakeian's ship had steered away and fired more guns. Suddenly, a ship from the behind had crashed into the Sol's deck, sinking it. 5 life rafts were found, and they were boarded. Captain Carter had stayed on the ship, and sank with his ship.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 hours laterm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The messenger had reached the FL Gleaming. He had told them of Calgary's fleet, and how they had superiority over the Flakeian fleet. Lt. Col. Laurens, commander of the fleet had sent the messenger over to Flakey City harbor to get more boats. "We are outnumbered, outgunned, and outmanned, but we can succeed over these Calgarian barbarians.", the Lieutenant Colonel said in his speech to the squad. The 2 supply ships had hid in the back while waiting for reinforcements.
The-Four-Days-Battle-A-Dutch-Triumph-3.jpg

The last raft left as the sun began to lower on the horizon. They floated on the dark blue water, slowly making their way from the burning city of Senneran. They had taken as many ships as possible and burned the rest, before making their getaway. They silently flowed eastward, before turning south.
"Sir, where are we going?" Whispered one of General Sean's guards. Sean looked at him, "Why, isn't it obvious? Maloria! We're just going to cross the lake and land there, sack a city or two, and be on our merry way." The guard stared at him, mortified, "Our army is considerably weakened, going into an enemy nation would be suicide! It would be bad enough to just land their, but sack their towns and start a war with them?" "Kid, haven't you heard? The Malorians are going to marry into the Sundeonian family, and join them in the war. We're just speeding things up," The general said, before looking back out into the distance. "Okay, be quiet. We're approaching their shore."
Just half an hour later, the army was off their rafts, and they dissapeared into the Malorian wilderness.

The Calgarians were retreating in the east. Their Generals had been crushed, and were pulled back to the capital, as the army struggled to hold back the Sundeonians.
The Duke looked around the room at the men. They all sat around a table, around 15 of them, and most wore wigs and had expensive clothes on. They must spend more time deciding what to wear than making battle plans. The Hulann looked at a assistant, "Where's my nephew, Sean?" "He dissapeared after the loss at Senneran." The Duke frowned and looked back at the group of men. He loved his nephew, and was nervous that he may have been captured, or killed, at Senneran. He decided he would not let that show to the other Generals.
He stood and spoke, "Men! You have all dissapointed me. All but one of you has failed to acomplish your goals, and the one that did-" He pointed to a tall man with a whispy beard, "-Only had to build defenses around our city. All of you threw your men uselessly at the enemies guns. These soldiers are people! Not cannonfodder! They have families and friends that would prefer them alive. Each of you are getting new goals, easy ones. Little villages, if you can handle capturing those with armies of thousands," he said sarcastiacally, "If you are not able to complete your goal, I will have you replaced. Etherd here will tell you your missions." He pointed to his assistant.

The soldiers deployed in the Calgrian wilderness had put their sights onto any naval port nearby to impair the Calgarian navy from fight back the Flakeian blockade. As they marched through, they saw some militiamen patrolling around. They attempted to distract the troops by throwing pinecones at them. The soldiers looked around, as the Flakeian troops snuck right under their noses. Then one guy saw a troop sneak into the port. He and the others followed them into the port, armed with guns and ready to shoot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Flakey City Port A, the 2nd fleet was being prepped for departure. They contained 13 frigates, and their flagship, the FL Moony, which was a quarter smaller than the Calgarian Snowcapped. Their 1,500 number crew had loaded the supplies for the journey. They then traveled up the Pheonix Straight.

Every time a Flakeian group of soldiers approached a town, they'd either have to fight the city defenders, or decide to go somewhere else. The duke knew he couldn't let a bunch of foreign soldiers around in his nation, or unrest would be on the rise throughout the countryside. He sent the 9th and 12th Mountaineer divisions, the 14th, 16th, and 23rd Militias, and the 7th musketeers out into the countryside to capture and/or kill the Flakeians. They had their orders drilled into them, don't stop until you have killed or captured every last one of them.
(OOC: Flakey, like I said in the OOC thread, you can't send ships here so quickly. I hope you edit your last post, and until then, I'm going to ignore the fact that your fleet is already here. I'm not skipping over several weeks for you.)

Ellie was angry at her uncle, the Duke of Sundeon. He just gave her away, not even asking for her opinion on the matter. After he had attempted to tell her at dinner she stood and stormed off. She should be able to choose who she was with! He had attempted to make it better, sending up little gifts and messages, but she refused to come out of her room.
If she had to marry the Emperor of Maloria, she hoped he was at least nice.
What she didn't know, he wasn't.

In 1811, the Kannexan Empire had enjoyed over forty years of independence. Kaiser Julius, its ruler, focused on strengthening the new nation, building roads and post offices to connect the bustling port cities of the West to the new settlements in the wild East. Trade flourished under the Kaiser's stable government as Kannexan merchant ships sailed on the maritime highways of the world. Outbreak of war in the Far North meant little for most Kannexans. The few businessmen who dealt with the volatile region withdrew their investments; a region embroiled in war would be bad for commerce. The Ministry of War, eager to observe new tactics and weaponry put into play, dispatched military attachés to the Far North. And there were yet others who viewed the new conflict with interest.

Kannex's War of Independence and later frontier conflicts against the natives had bred generations of Kannexan fighters. Restless ex-soldiers filled the ranks of mercenary companies, seeking their fortunes the best way they knew -- on godforsaken battlefields across Eras. Several groups now offered their services to the duchies of Calgary and Sundeon. The Knights of Wotan consisted of a cavalry regiment of 800 men along with a horse artillery brigade of 300 men. The Dragon Regiment formed a unit of 2,000 infantrymen. Overall, various mercenary companies numbering at a total of about 7,000 fighting men sought to make this war their business.

Under Alwin’s rule the Malorian Empire was at it's height. This is evident from the strong and massive pool of manpower with a stable and great economy to back it. Under his rule the people who did not support Alwin were executed but this made way for success as he had no opposition to the progress that he had made.

General Bane had truly conscripted all available men as he arrived north with a massive army of 120,000 men. The general did not waste time as he sent every rider to the farthest edges of the empire. This army would be the one that would bring Calgary and it’s boy general too heel.

The massive force that equaled 155,000 from the forces of Alwin, Bane, and Emert made way to Abbega. The Keizer and his generals spared no time as they quickly merged their forces and started to march to Sundeon. Alwin was sure that anything the Calgarian savages threw at them they could handle.

The Flakeian ships at the Calgarian shores had undocked at the shore, letting more soldiers into the wild. As the soldiers marched around, they passed by a civillian village. A farmer there had gotten a gun and shot at the soldiers from the top of a building. The Flakeian soldiers got a match and lighted a fire on the building, burning it. They then marched into the town and try to incapacitate the civilians.

A Sundeonian officer crawled up the rope first, followed by his men. He scaled the Cogorian fort's wall, and right as he got to the top without a single scratch on him, the butt of a musket smashed into his face. He fell, his jaw broken and all his teeth punched in. He knocked down multiple men while he fell and crashed against the hard, cold ground. He was dead. More soldiers attempted to crawl up the ropes, all getting shot down or stabbed with bayonets once they reached the tops. The Cogorians managed to unhook the ropes, and threw them down, making men fall with them. The lines were wavering, and the artillery wasn't getting a good shot. The order was given to fall back, and they followed quickly, hoping they wouldn't end up one of the bodies piled up against the wall. They ran back through the forest, leaving the slower, wounded men behind. Sprinting for half an hour before they were back in Sundeonian lands. They quickly dug down and hid, preparing defenses in case the Cogorians attempted a counter-attack.
"They've fallen right into our trap," announced the Leiutenant of the 23rd Miltia division, "We have those damn Flakeians surrounded." Him and his 125 Militiamen screeched as they charged into the small farming town. They encircled the six or seven buildings. After studying the path the Flakeian soldiers were going, due east towards the capital, they had managed to set up an ambush. They crashed into the little collection of houses as more of the civilians brought up arms. About 20 villigers accompanied them, and a small group of 5 teenagers got on horses and ran in to trample the enemies. The nearby 9th Mountaineers heard the screams and scrambled towards the town, another 75 men to help. They would stop the Flakeian advance, here and now.
The 1st Naval Division, along with the "Snowcapped", stayed in Calgarian waters. They would open hellfire on any unidentified ship in their sight. The 3rd and 4th were being prepared to be sent out. The 2nd one had disappeared into the north. They veered left and started to go towards Cogoria, in hopes they could go down the Phoenix Strait and blockade Flakeia. They spotted some foreign ships. They were flying... The Sundeonian flag? Sundeon was landlocked! They must have taken control of the Schekalcher, a northern duchy with a coastline who supports Sundeon. A light rain was pitter-pattering across the deck, and it looked like a storm would be coming. In order for this to be over quickly, they fired a warning shot about twenty yards past the bow of their largest frigate.
Instead of putting up a white flag, they fired full broadside back. Two cannonballs smashed into the right side of the "Hellborn", an experimental fireship. Luckily, it didn't explode into a giant fireball, and all the ships began to fire back. Smoke was everywhere as both navies shot at each other through the thickening rain and fog. The waves began shaking more violently and men had to stumble across the deck to get from one place to another. The Sundeonian "Kusharee", a supply ship, rammed itself into a Kanadian corvette, yet to be named by it's crew as it had been finished just a week before. The "Kusharee" got stuck in the hull of the corvette and they began to sink together. Men from both sides jumped onto the others ship with knifes and guns. A miniture line battle formed on deck with flintlocks and muskets, and they kept firing till all the powder was wet and the water was up to their chests. The corvette tipped on it's side, pushing the "Kusharee" under, before following it down.
Cannonballs flew across the sky, with arcs that cut through the clound. Ships had their wooden hulls pierced intantly by the flying chunks of metal, and neither side was sure where the other was. Ships accidentally crashed into others, unable to see far through the fog. The "Hellborn" shot fire through the dim storm, burning both ships of the enemy and their own. The "Hellborn" was shot and exploded in an array of colors. Fire streaked through the sky, and both navies started to break off, sailing away. After they were away from each other, they checked their damages. Both had lost two or three ships with the majority of those unsunk damaged, with holes in their wooden skin. Instead of going back to port to repair, the Calgarian 2nd Naval division carried on westward.
General Sean led his army through the thick trees. Every time they scouted a town, they would silently encircle it and smash forward, careful to not let any men out to spread the message of attack. Of course, some people still got out to tell their neighboring villages of the attack. The Calgarians traveled on main roads, the horses in the rear attached to makeshift plows. As they marched, the plows would upturn the dirt roads, making them virtually useless. They'd kill or capture any soldiers or travelers they came across. After two days of marching, they looked down from the top of a hill. A port lay below, with it's docks sticking into the sparkling water. They would attack it the next morning. The army went into the wilderness to hide until their attack plans were drawn up.

The Flakeian army in Calgary were seizing supplies and then they marched eastward. They marched into a small town, and were surrounded by the Calgarian militia. The Flakeians shot at the Calgarians, only for the other militia to put a gun at the group leader's head. "Come with us or die. So the leader gave the militiamen his musket and the others did to. The militia grabbed the group leader and escorted the other troops to prision.

The Flakeian navy were notified by a boat spy that the Snowcapped and it's fleet were nearby in Calgarian waters. The FL Sunny had left to search for the Snowcapped with two other ships. The boats had accidentally veered leftward and had encountered a Calgarian boat traveling westward, probably to Flakeia. They sent a messenger boat to inform the other ships that an enemy ship might travel towards Flakeia. The Sunny had decided to stalk the battleships and continued westward.

The fleet had made good progress as it moved north and around Cronaal, but as they turned westward the skies darkened and a cold wind came down from the north, soon followed by snow and ice. They pressed on, hoping not to have to put into port and beat the coming storm. Prince Kasper had managed to raise over sixty thousand troops before leaving Stoneport, now crammed into seventeen warships trying to make headway. The storm didn't last and soon the sun came out again and the ships made good progress, spotting Calgarian lands.

They passed along the coast looking for a port to make and land their troops. Twenty miles east of Calgary they found a stretch of beach that would work. As the troops and supplies were being offloaded, the fastest of their ships was dispatched to Calgary to inform them of Arrandal's arrival. Prince Kasper set up his camp along the treeline and waited for the return of his messengers and the Calgarian response.

To our allies in Calgary,

We have arrived near twenty miles from your city and disembarked with a number of troops at about sixty thousand. We ask that you respond with all haste as to the state of affairs in the duchy and where would be best utilized so that we can march there immediately.

In peace, your Friend and Ally,
Grand Prince Kasper II Calgviac

The Duke of Arkum was feasting the same like he did every night. Mountains upon mountains of food getting picked at by him and his whole court like chickens pecking at their feed or pigs eating their slop. They were so loud that it sounded like a battle was already being fought.

The city only had a token force of 3,000 men defending it as most of it’s forces were sent up north with the Emperor so he could put down the Calgarian savages. Even the Duke’s own son had been sent to fight in the war so he could bring honor upon his father and his house. However, the force maybe small it was full of the Duke’s best men. These men had fought in the conquests of the south and had they were veterans of several skirmishes on the Cogorian border so combat was not a new act to them.

The feasting though was cut short as a messenger approached the court during. Word had spread of the villages that surrounded the city that had been destroyed by an unknown enemy. It was even worse as scouts spotted forces marching on the roads leading to Arkum. This could only mean one thing. An attack on the city itself. Several thoughts raced throughout the Duke’s head the biggest being that they couldn't have chose a better time to attack but he was no coward. He would not yield before anyone except his Keizer and especially not to a damn unknown threat.

He immediately ordered all the elderly, women, and children into the Ducal Palace. If anything he would not subject his people to the unknown especially if it meant their lives. He also ordered that all valuables be taken into the palace as well since he knew that any army would plan to loot and pillage the cities riches he also ordered all food be brought as well in case of a siege. Finally, he ordered that barricades be built all throughout the streets and pathways. This mainly included carriages as they would line these throughout the streets for cover if the enemy did breakthrough. He also ordered that all canons be brought to the palace and that they be lined up against the walls. If they were to take the city then they would not take the palace. That was his home and no man or woman would take that from him.

Whatever was going to attack should be ready. These men did not only want to protect their homes but their families as well and they would not stop until all of them were through. So now they waited for the unknown.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For miles you could see them marching in the slowly falling wave of Kanadian snow. Miles and miles of them clanking in their armor ever so proudly marching for their Keizer, their brave and brutal ruler. It seemed as if there was an infinite number of them as they went as far as the eye could see.

The cavalry which was the Imperial Guard marched up front with the emperor and his generals along with the nobles. Behind them were the officers of lesser renown and importance. And then you got to the bulk of the forces who were brutes and grizzly. Men from all corners of the Empire united under the banner of the golden sun.

Most of them were cold and hungry as they had been marching all day and night. Emperor Alwin wasn't cold as he rode on his pearl white horse that blended in perfectly with the snow and he had on his wolf cloak that gave just right amount of heat. Even as they were cold and hungry Alwin was as well since he didn't consider himself above his soldiers and that's one of the main reasons they respected him. He wouldn't have them do anything that he couldn't.

The Kanadian snow faded on impact as it hit his crude and iron crown. Surprisingly it fit perfectly well around his head for it wasn't too tight or loose. It was just right.

As they marched you could hear the furious beating of the drums. Alwin loved to hear them not only because they sounded majestic but because he also found it interesting that they helped keep the cogs that were his soldiers moving and it helped them keep order. This had always fascinated him as he could never really understand why.

After several and long hours of marching they were here. The jewel of the barbarians, Fort Foster. Of course it paled in comparison to their pristine and marvel capital Bergum but it would have to do. They waited outside the cities walls waiting to be let in the city that was Fort Foster.

As the sun rose, cannons boomed from the hilltops. Firing directly into Arkum, the smashed through rooftops and tore holes into the streets as the men dressed in navy blue marched towards the city. In the outskirts they met small resistance, but as soon as they walked within more heavily populated areas, the defense was heavy. These were people that were going to protect their homes and families. Lots of morale, but not much training.
The Calgarians formed defensive squares, marching slowly through. Every time someone fired through their window, the entire house was to be cleared out and burned. Slowly, but surely, they pushed back the defending civilians. They broke into bakeries and banks to find them nearly empty. Everything had been moved somewhere else. Dead bodies covered the streets from both sides. Anyone left in their homes were dragged out by the collar and shot at the curb. Resistance got stiff once the soldiers got closer to the Palace. Cannons from the building rained down ammunition, as it was defended by actual troops. Every time the soldiers got close to the Palace, they were shot down.
A circle of soldiers and guns surrounded the Palace and the harbor had their ships prepared. If the Malorians attempted a counter-attack, the Calgarians could simply sail back across the lake, leaving the city in flames and the rest of their ships destroyed. (OOC: Taking of city was permitted by Maloria, as long as I didn't take the palace)
Snow was coming down in the capital city, and the Grand Duke was playing with his daughter in the white blanket. A man calmly walked up to him, "Sir, a message has arrived." "Well, hand it over."

To our allies in Calgary,

We have arrived near twenty miles from your city and disembarked with a number of troops at about sixty thousand. We ask that you respond with all haste as to the state of affairs in the duchy and where would be best utilized so that we can march there immediately.

In peace, your Friend and Ally,
Grand Prince Kasper II Calgviac

"Ah, perfect! Just what we needed. Send someone over, then. The Lord of the Army can handle it," the Duke told the messanger, "Of course, Sir."

Gercher Altesta, an old man, really, sat in his carriage as his Guards followed. He was the Lord of the Army, in charge of it all. Really, the Duke did more work than him for the army, he just sat around and suggested attacks. Everyone said he was too old and fragile. Bah, what do they know. When he approached the beach, he placed a top hat upon his balding head and stepped out of the carriage before it had come to a complete stop. He approached the army, his Guards flanking him.

"Where is your leader? I must talk with him. Much to discuss." He brought a note out of his pocket. It had the list of places needed by their forces.

1, Schekalcher, just a few days march east of the beach. Currently has only been the place of small border skirmishes. They must be wiped out so that Sundeon has no access to the sea.
2, the eastern part of the Sundeon/Calgary border. Our Generals are doing quite a bad job there.

"HALT THE SHIPS." Slowly, the entire 2nd Naval Division came to a stop. "They're following us." The Admiral said, "Don't move." Cannons were primed and aimed towards the following Flakeian ships. They fired a warning shot over the bow of one, basically telling them to back off. If they fired back, they would be crushed by the Kanadian forces, for the 3rd Naval Division was quite ready to spill Flakeian blood.

As a Flakeian ship was scanning the waters, they caught sight of a fleet disembarking on a beach east of Calgary. They sent a small rowboat to check out if it was a freindly vessel. As the boat rowed up they caught sight of a flag, neither Flakeian, Sundeonian, or Malorian. The boaters realized it was an Arrandalian flag on an Arrandalian ship. The boat rowed back to its ship and informed the Colonel Livingston. They had set the rowboat to go to where the fleet was and inform the FL Gleaming battle time was imminent.

Three hours later

The FL Gleaming's fleet had met with Colonel Livingston's ship. The two supply ships had hid back, as the boats were readying their guns. There were 28 ships in battling condition. As they scanned the beach, they saw men making camp along the treeline. As the Gleaming snuck up behind the ships, they fired shells. Three ships docked upon the shore and unloaded a 5,000 troops to try and ambush the camp. The ships pulled back to fire at the Arrandalian ships.
The men on the shore marched quietly and quickly nearby the camp. They pulled their muskets out and searched for any signs of people. They saw a man sleeping on the ground. This must be the camp, Lieutenant Morris said quietly to the troops. They surrounded the camp and began firing.

--------------------

The Flakeian ships stalking the Calgarian ships had saw the Calgarian ships fire over the Sunny's bow. The Sunny led the boats around to Sundeon.

Grand Prince Casper had never seen such incompetence as that of the Flakeian fleet. They had tried to sneak up on them over open water while he was disembarking troops, but his frigates had been farther out from the shore standing guard as the approached. The last of the troops were quickly unloaded from the fleet. As the Flakeians fired their opening volley, the larger warships pushed away from shore and joined the frigates, unleashing their own volleys, and soon the air around the bay was filled with smoke as the two fleets pounded at each other.

Meanwhile on the shore a Flakeian contingent thought they would catch the Arrandalians while they were sleeping, but considering it was broad daylight and the camp was being set up with many of the soldiers still in parade formation and at the ready (not including the scouts and guards scattered around the country side who saw the approaching army) this was a tactical blunder on par with a man shooting himself in his own foot. Needless to say the Arrandalians were quite ready when the incompetent soldiers of Flakeyland attacked.

The Prince personally lead his cavalry inland and around the Flakey lines, flanking from the south as he lead his mighty winged Hussars against the exposed enemy flanks. The wings mounted on the back of their saddles made a loud rattling noise as they charged ferociously into the enemy. The Arrandalian scouts were also recalled and began to make lightning strikes against the rear of the enemy lines.

The Arrandalian military was a professional one, and each soldier knew their job and were skilled fighters. They stood unflinching at the attack. The fleet was large, numbering nearly a hundred and twenty ships, five times that of their enemy. They had to transport over sixty thousand troops, twelve thousand horses, and the supplies to feed and equip them. It made no sense as to why an inferior fleet would be so utterly stupid as to attack them.

Captain Laurens frowned at Colonel Livingston's ships failing in every sense to succesfully attack any ships. He sped around the cannonballs and fired more volleys at the Arrandalian ships. The Colonel's ships had tried to sink the ships, before being hit by shells and sinking. Captain Lauren's ship had led the other ships and retreated. Some other ships scanned the waters for people to save. Another boat docked at the shore and led a messenger to tell the Flakeian army to retreat and re-board the ship. They sped away from the battle and decided to retreat down to the Pheonix Straight.

(OOC: Oh My GOD Flakey. Like I've said 2 times before, you can't just send your ships up and down the strait in one post. My fleet isn't halfway around Cogoria for Pete's sake. Do it again and I will have you not be in this RP. Please edit your previous posts)

BOOOM!!!! As the gun flung itself back on the forts rampart the chant began anew "Swab! Charge! Round! Ram! Run out! FIRE!" BOOOM!. All along the defences the troops maintained a constant stream of fire down onto the attackers, discharged muskets were flung back to waiting troops to be re loaded while primed pieces were passed forward. Any attacker coming over the palisade was met by a hedge of bayonets. All the while the Major looked on, there was no way his small garrison could hold out for long, he prayed to the Silent One that the messenger had made it to the near by town.

In fact he had, and already the news of the invasion was flying across the Cogorian sky through the semaphore towers, their arms windmilling the plea for aid to the far reaches of the small Empire. It took less than a day for a brief report to make it to the offices of the Czarina herself. Someone had dared attack her nation, HER land? This was not acceptable! Messages were written and dispatched, and soon the messages on the semaphore were flowing both directions, giving troops their orders, and mustering a host to march to the forts relief.

The lookouts for the southern gate of the fort were terrified. A force of thousands waited outside their capital city, dressed in blue. A few raised their muskets and pointed them out, while another went to ring the huge bell, that would tell the city it was under attack. A high officer stopped them and proceeded to inform. The mighty Malorian Empire had come to help them crush the Calgarians. Orders were yelled around as the mighty gates were opened, giving the army access to the inner city. The Duke himself came down from his palace, made of gleaming white marble pillars, which blended with the snow on the roof, and blue-painted walls.
The Duke approached the front of the army, where the Emperor was, on a light brown horse, surrounded by his yellow-wearing Royal Guard. "Welcome," he spoke loudly, out to the front of the army, "To Sundeon!"
Mountaineer duty was terrible. Even after training until the beginning of their teens, the mighty Calgarian Mountaineer army still shivered in the falling snow. Winter Solstice was approaching quickly, usually a time of peace for the Kanadian people. In war, a truce would come from dawn till dusk, with no guns firing. But most soldiers knew that there was no chance of that happening now. This was all out war, and there would be no truce, no pause in the bloodshed. Every day, multiple men would fall on their morning march, fingers and toes purple from frostbite. Food became harder to bring to the front, so malnutrition went wild, and that wasn't even the least of their problems. The Sundeonians were also there, firing away and chipping down at the Mountaineers' manpower.
No doubt, it was miserable.
The scouts in Arkum spotted the advancing reenforces approach the city. The now smaller Calgarian army couldn't defend too easily now, and so the plan was put into action. Houses were set fire and fields were burned. The few prisoners taken were left tied up in a burning town center, while Sean and his army got on the boats and began to leave. The last boatload of soldiers burned the rest of the craft so they couldn't be easily followed, and rode off in the early dawn.

It was all gone. Everything he loved and knew was gone. The thing he worked so hard to protect and care for was taken away from him and by who, a couple of cowards who were to scared to stay and fight when the odds were turned against them. It sickened him that such people could even call themselves soldiers when they don’t even fight they just run. But it was too late as the cold northern morning air brushed against his face. What was left of his mighty city except ruins.

He however finally opened the gates when his reinforcements arrived. But when he did he was met with the bodies that littered the streets of both Kanadians and Malorians alike. He was met with the burned down houses and the ashes of a once great city that was feared all across the North of Maloria. He cared not for at least he saved the riches that could be used to repair what was left of his city. He wasted no time though as he sent a rider to Fort Foster to inform the Emperor of what has happened.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alwin stepped outside of the royal palace and welcomed the new morning with open arms. After a night of celebration and vows and kisses to be the best of friends it was time to get back to his daily affairs. Even as much as he didn’t want to he felt that it was his duty and he needed to do it for the sake of his people.

Alwin was dressed in his dark colored blue suit with his flintlock pistol on his hip and his grut mes on his other one. It was in its silver scabbard which had sapphires encrusted all down it on both sides. He also rested both of his hands wearing his ebony colored gloves that had the silk padding. His boots were like obsidian with their new glassy appearance.

Alwin wasted no time though as he quickly went to his stables were his snow colored steed awaited him. He quickly propped himself up on it and galloped down the streets were his Imperial Guard were waiting on him. And before long he appeared outside of the city with his steel plated knights behind him and they rode to the front of their vast army where the soldiers had been waiting.

He however was met with a messenger who informed him of what had happened at Arkum. It took no time whatsoever for him to grow furious at the news. There was only one way he could think of getting revenge. By returning the favor, blood for blood. So he told one of the knights behind him to send a letter to the Duke of Calgary. This was no ordinary letter this was a declaration of war.

The first step of getting revenge would be to return the favor. So Alwin asked his guide what the biggest and closest city in Calgary would be and he gave him and clear answer. The city of Osdensk. So that is where his legion started to march.

The Flakean army had gotten word that Malorians were marching up to Osdensk. General George Silvers sent troops stationed in Lamsdon, Flakeia to board boats and meet-up with the Malorian troops. A little south in Flakeington, Lord Flakey IV was watching the ports construct huge naval vessels from the Palace window. He was brought news of their losses at Calgary and with Arrandal earlier this morning, and was very saddened. "At least no Calgarian troop has set foot on Flakeian ground. If they do, we will shower them with a hellfire of bullets, so that not even one Calgarian will even last on our shores for even at least a minute.", he thought while still glazing at the construction.

Kasper walked across the battlefield viewing the aftermath. The Flakeian forces had broken and run and while his cavalry had initially chased them down, they didn't go to far and returned shortly after the rout. The battlefield was mostly littered with Flakeian dead, the Arrandalian casualties mostly light. The last numbers put the death toll of his forces just shy of thirty, though there were far more wounded.

He had last one ship in the naval battle, one of his larger warships which had taken an unlucky shot low on its hull. Most the crew had been rescued, but he was still waiting on that final report to see how many hands had been lost. The surprise attack had filled him with rage. As far as he knew the Flakeian's had no true justification for their attack. It seemed mostly to be a power play on their part, likely an attempt to grab a chunk of Malorian territory. Though how this attack here furthered that goal was beyond him. Where the Flakeian's playing a long game with an unforeseen future or were they just that incompetent?

Finishing his inspection of the battlefield he returned to camp where his commanders had finished gathering there reports. They were still awaiting a dispatch from Calgary with instructions on where to march the army. After reading the last reports on the battle the death tally reached thirty-seven. Thirty-seven good Arrandalian men dead in a despicable act of cowardice. He laid the report down on the table which had been set up inside the command tent.

He looked over his men, each of them eager to hear his orders. He took a minute to organize his thoughts. This act could not go unpunished, and yet he had a duty to attend to here in Kanada, a duty to their allies.

'Gentlemen,' he spoke at last. 'It seems we have more enemeies here than we at first thought. The cowardly Flakeians have attacked us without provocation, and without warning. This is an act of war that we cannot ignore. And yet we have a duty to our allies. So it stands that I shall stay here in Kanada with the bulk of our forces and provide what aid we can to the Calgarians. In the meant time, Grand Marshal Valteran,' he turned to one of his highest and most decorated officers, 'I need you to return to Arrandal with all haste, and gather what remains of our forces there. I'll have your orders prepared before you leave.'

He paused for a second. 'In the meantime, prepare the army for departure, I don't intend to remain camped here longer than necessary. In the morning we march for the border. Dismissed.'

(OOC: In this time period, Cremeden is known as the Kingdom of Flakeia)

The Flakeian troops were shooken by their failure at the battle. Many were wounded, 56 men dead in combat. Their ships were decimated and had to stall in Sundeon before taking off again. Captain Laurens had made another bold decsion, which was to sail back from their position of 60 kilometers off the Calgarian Coast. The Captain had an idea, which he pitched to his crew. Steal an Arrandallian Ship. That was his goal. The other Flakeian ships were either back in Flakeia, or some where fleeing a battle into the Pheonix Straight. The ships went forth to the Arrandallian camp. This time they would be sneaky and wait for the coat of night to hide them from sight. As they sat a few kilometers from the camp, soldier snuck out into the wild.

After their treacherous journey down the Phoenix strait, the 2nd naval division arrived at the Flakiean shore. They didn't go towards shallow waters or disembark troops. They instead went towards a nearby harbor. They didn't know what city it was or anything about it, other than it was the enemy's. The ships approached the entrance to the docks and surrounded it as well as they could, opening fire towards the docks and a little farther into the city. A barrage from the heavily gunned ships was put into place, ready to return punishment to the damned Flakeians. Though this force was expected to be crushed, it was suicide. It would not go down without damaging the enemy, though.
As General Sean Kanad left their small armada by the Sundeon coast, they quickly began marching in the early morning light, through the densely forested hills. Just a few dozen miles east, there would be the largest Sundeonian city in the duchy, Fort Foster. It was probably filled to the brim with thousands on thousands of troops, ready to defend the high walls surrounding the main city. The Calgarian army kept marching due north with a small group of militia staying a tad ahead, scouting for possible enemy. As they peaked over a ridge which had a road below that lead directly back to Calgary, the grand city of Osdensk. The city was lightly defended, no walls and only around 600 soldiers protecting it. If needed, the population could be armed significantly.
Instead of an empty dirt roadway, the militia found marching soldiers, thousands of them, walking in neat rows, dressed in Malorian uniforms. They immediatly scattered back to the army, and reported to the General. Kanad formulated a plan in his mind, and called for volunteers of men. He picked about 70 soldiers, and told them they were not expected to survive. Only about 50 volunteers remained, either brace or idiotic. They were given full ammunition and entered square formation, bayonets ready. As the rest of the army proceeded to continue marching northward, a bit away from the road, the square slowly approached the roadway. The sat atop the ridge, and aimed their guns. As the first shots fired down at the Malorians, the gunshots echoing throughout the forest, Kanad and his army picked up their speedy march and began to close the gap between them and Osdensk.
In the city of Osdensk, it was generally peaceful. Despite being directly next to the border, they had yet to been attacked through the entire war, so far. Schoolchildren still walked to school, and adults still did their daily duties. But the so-called fog of war was approaching, yet they did not notice, nor care.
(At the outbreak of the war, a bit back)
The Duke of Calgary called on a messenger, and handed him a letter of extreme importance. He was to take it to Andrenne of the UKAG as soon as humanly possible.
To Queen Anna of the UKAG.:
Your Majesty,
I believe it is time to properly apologize for the difficulties between us, such as the Kanadian people making the Andrennian's leave our homeland. But it was done with little bloodshed and I believe we are still on good terms. I must ask you today to assist us against the Sundeonian beasts in the south, as they have become trouble. So I call on our Nordic blood families to help put down these disturbances in the way of our success.
Thank you,
Duke of Calgary.

(OOC: Flakey, Sundeon is landlocked. It's between Maloria, Calgary, and Cogoria, it doesn't have a shore.)

In Sunnystone Harbor, located on the river border of Flakeia and Maloria, multiple Calgarian ships had surrounded the small town's port and attempted to capture it. Message bringers from the city fled down a little south to one of Flakeia's major port cities, Lamsdon. The messagers had brought news of Calgarian attacks on Sunnystone. The commanding general had sent out the fleet in Lamsdon and more ships from Flakeia, Gleamington, and other large harbors. Also, in Flakeia's luck, the ships retreating down the Pheonix Straight from Calgary had also arrived. The large cluster of fleets sailed, comprising of around 6 fleets had sailed to surround the Calgarians in Sunnystone Harbor. More ships were still being constructed in Flakeia, so some fleets had to stay and guard the construction areas. Lord Flakey had gotten word of that the Calgarians had landed in a Flakeian harbor. "After we kill the Calgarians, we shall return up north to wreak havoc on Calgary.", he said to the General. The fleets started to sail northwards.

As the Flakeian ships were stalling in Calgarian waters, a few ships arrived from Flakeia as help. The Captain was still waiting for the cloak of night. Arrandal will die, he thought sitting in his office. The few men sent out to scout out were still searching for the camp. After hours of looking, they finally found it, somewhat hidden by a few trees. Distract them while we steal their ships the team's leader whispered. We will do it at night. The crew were glad to get some re-enforcements, as the captain told the other ships what to do at night.

SAA Kanada:
(OOC: Oh My GOD Flakey. Like I've said 2 times before, you can't just send your ships up and down the strait in one post. My fleet isn't halfway around Cogoria for Pete's sake. Do it again and I will have you not be in this RP. Please edit your previous posts)
(OOC: Like I said here, Flakey, you CANNOT AUTOMATICALLY TELEPORT YOUR SHIPS. I warned you, edit your previous post immediately.)

Grand Marshal Miron Ionesco Valteran watched the sun setting from the rear of the ship as he headed out to make his way home. He had boarded the fastest ship of the fleet and would hopefully arrive home in two weeks as long as the weather held. Before the sun completely set and no light remained the Grand Marshal pulled the envelope containing his orders from his inner coat pocket and read them, a deep grin of satisfaction crossing his face. Among the orders were instructions for the the Prince's administrators back in Arrandal. The Flakeians would not know what hit them. In the meantime he went below decks looking for a meal, his thoughts racing ahead to what the Grand Prince had planned.

The small border fort's garrison looked around them in the dull dawn light, the palisades were soaked in blood and here and there little mounds of bodies lay as markers of where the Sundeonian troops had made it over the walls only to be repulsed. The small garrison did not know how they had survived, but they were glad they had, some soldiers slumped down next to the still warm canons that had served their deadly purpose with great efficiency, ready to rest. However the Major was like a force of nature, all through out the fight he could be found where the fighting was thickest, by all rights he should have been the most tired, but instead of resting he roused the survivors and kept them manning there posts, there was no telling if the enemy would return or when help would arrive.

A few weeks later still manning their walls, a noise rattled in the distance, indistinct at first it was like a distant peal of thunder, rolling on for eternity, but as it drew closer different sounds made themselves clear. The rattle of drums, the shrill of fife and above it all the stamping of feet. Staring out at the pass leading further into Cogoria the garrison let out whoops of joy as a massive column emerged, the mass of green marching in time to the beat of the drums, and singing their marshal hims with the melodies of the fife. A squadron of cavalry broke ranks from the host and galloped to the fort, the garrison threw open the gate as the horses skidded to a halt in the parade square, a colonel dismounted and approached the major "Sorry for the delay Major Gogorovich, the great Czarina decided that relieving you was not sufficient to punish the dishonour shown to us,we march now to deliver the Czarinas displeasure upon the ruling family of Sundeonia. Your garrison is hereby relieved of their duties and are to return to Fenerov Barracks, you and your men have done the nation proud." With that the horsemen returned to the army, now headed to war, while a battalion of infantry arrived to take the old garrison's place. Major Gogorovich Formed up his men and marched them down to the main road, looking west to the path leading to rest for him and his men, and east toward the enemies lands, he turned to ask his men the question, whether to head for a well earned break, or to join their countrymen in punishing the invaders, but when he turned he couldn't help but let a smirk flash accross his normally stony expression, his troops were already in forming a marching column ready to merge with the eastbound army that was still flowing from the pass. And so, Cogoria went to war

Back