Closed Eye Hallucinations (You might have this)

Johanness

TNPer
Found this on Wikipedia:

There are five known levels of CEV perception which can be achieved either through chemical stimuli or through meditative relaxation techniques. Level 1 and 2 are very common and often happen every day. It is still normal to experience level 3, and even level 4, but only a small percentage of the population does this without psychedelic drugs, meditation or extensive visualization training.

Level 1: Visual noise

Red-blue-noise.gif

Example of what you'd see

The most basic form of CEV perception that can be immediately experienced in normal waking consciousness involves a seemingly random noise of pointillistic light/dark regions with no apparent shape or order.

This can be seen when the eyes are closed and looking at the back of the eyelids. In a bright room, a dark red can be seen, owing to a small amount of light penetrating the eyelids and taking on the color of the blood it has passed through. In a dark room, blackness can be seen or the object can be more colourful. But in either case it is not a flat unchanging redness/blackness. Instead, if actively observed for a few minutes, one becomes aware of an apparent disorganized motion, a random field of lightness/darkness that overlays the redness/blackness of closed eyelids.

For a person who tries to actively observe this closed-eye perception on a regular basis, there comes a point where if he or she looks at a flat-shaded object with his or her eyes wide open, and tries to actively look for this visual noise, he or she will become aware of it and see the random pointillistic disorganized motion as if it were a translucent overlay on top of what is actually being seen by his or her open eyes.

When seen overlaid onto the physical world, this CEV noise does not obscure physical vision at all, and in fact is hard to notice if the visual field is highly patterned, complex, or in motion. When active observation is stopped, it is not obvious or noticeable, and seemingly disappears from normal physical perception. Individuals suffering from visual snow see similar noise but experience difficulty blocking it from conscious perception.

The noise probably originates from thermal noise exciting the photoreceptor cells in the retina;[citation needed] compare Eigengrau.

Level 2: Light/dark flashes

Some mental control can be exerted over these closed-eye visualizations, but it usually requires a bit of relaxation and concentration to achieve. [1][2] When properly relaxed it is possible to cause regions of intense black, bright white or even colors such as yellow, green, or pink to appear in the noise. These regions can span the entire visual field, but seem to be fleeting in nature.[3]

Level 3: Patterns, motion, and color

This level is relatively easily accessible to people who use psychedelic drugs such as LSD, and appears to be what most people refer to as colourful visuals.

However, it is also accessible to people involved in deep concentration for long periods of time. When lying down at night and closing the eyes, right before sleep the complex motion of these patterns can become directly visible without any great effort thanks to hypnagogic hallucination. The patterns themselves might resemble fractals.

Level 4: Objects and things

This is a fairly deep state. At this level, thoughts visually manifest as objects or environments. When this level is reached, the CEV noise seems to calm down and fade away, leaving behind an intense flat ordered blackness. The visual field becomes a sort of active space. A side component of this is the ability to feel motion when the eyes are closed.[citation needed]

Opening the eyes returns one to the normal physical world, but still with the CEV object field overlaid onto it and present. In this state it is possible to see things that appear to be physical objects in the open-eye physical world, but that aren't really there.

“If we remember that the essential difference between what we call the real world and the world of imagination and hallucination, is not the elements of which we build them up but the sequence in which these elements appear... then it follows that the sequences directed from without represent a limitation of the otherwise unlimited combinations of the selective forms released at random from within”
—?- Jurij Moskvitin, Essay on the origin of thought.[4]

Level 5: Overriding physical perception

The internal CEV perceptions and think-it/feel-it perceptions become stronger than physical perceptions, and completely override and replace open-eye physical perceptions. This can be a potentially dangerous state if a person is still mobile while in a different perceived world, but by this time most people are motionless and not likely to do something hazardous to themselves or others.[citation needed] This is the point where most hallucinogenic references say it is a good idea to have a "sitter" present to watch over the person using the chemicals, and keep them from accidentally harming themselves or others while deep into their own world.[citation needed]

This level can be entered from complete sensory deprivation, as experienced in an isolation tank, but even there it requires great relaxation.[5][6]

According to lucid dreaming researcher Stephen LaBerge, perceptions can come from either the senses or imagination. An inhibitory system involving in the thalamus, likely involving serotonergic neurons, inhibits imaginary perceptions from becoming too activated so they turn into hallucinations. This system is inhibited during REM sleep, and the imagination can freely run into the perceptual systems. What happens at level 5 is likely that this system is inhibited, just like in REM sleep, by different causes like sensory deprivation, psychedelic drugs or meditative relaxation techniques. [7]
I think I've had Level 3 Close-Eye Hallucination my whole life. I thought it was normal and that everyone had it. Although in the coming years it's slowly stopped. I've usually had it at night when I'm trying to sleep, it never reached the deepest stage at Level 5. I might have Level 4, but I'm not sure.

Interesting. I get level 3 and sometimes even 4 pretty easily despite having never even touched any sort of hallucinogenic substance in my life. Oddly enough, I'd also wondered if this was the sort of thing that drug users could get, and apparently it is.

I think I've experienced Level 3 sometimes when I rub my eyes for more than a few seconds, but it's not a regular part of my day.

EDIT: went and read the wikipedia article, apparently that doesn't count XD

Nebula:
I think I've experienced Level 3 sometimes when I rub my eyes for more than a few seconds, but it's not a regular part of my day.

EDIT: went and read the wikipedia article, apparently that doesn't count XD
I think that's usual for anyone to get that when rubbing their eyes. Closed Eye Hallucinations are usually when you're trying to get sleep at night.

I go straight to REM sleep as soon as I close my eyes. Vivid, intense, deep dreaming. Sometimes during the daytime; I'm often not even aware at first that I've shifted frames of reference. I'm asking my doctor about being tested for narcolepsy.

I see wavy circles when I close my eyes. I think it's level 3??? they are orderly patterns like when you look at the shadow of campfire smoke but they are in perfect circles.

I regularly have Level 4. It feels like I have access to some deep part of the brain where I can just shut down everything at anytime I want and relax deeply. I have to focus for a minute or so to do it, and once I'm there, everything is just blank, almost as if I'm floating with thoughts or other stimuli occurring naturally as a stream of consciousness. It's pretty neat.

I've had 5 when I'm particularly unwell. But I suspect it likely doesn't fully count because I've also been known to have pseudo-hallucinations while fully awake. When I'm trying to get to sleep is the worst though.

When I'm trying to go to sleep, it's usually level 4, and then I start freaking out. It's rather hard for me to fall asleep a lot of the time because of this. On good nights, it's only level 3. There's like these swirly blue and red and black patterns. It's weird. Sometimes I get level 3 when I'm not trying to go to sleep, though.

I've been a practitioner of various forms of meditation, and I have had Level 5 experiences. It is fascinating but very disconcerting.

A related phenomenon is while attempting to fall asleep, experiencing very detailed visualisations of scenes, objects, etc.,,, that are as vivid as actually seeing the real thing.

Another related phenomenon is "Synethesia" - similar to 'cross sensory perception' where you tend to describe things in terms of largely unrelated things. For example - musical passages will bring to mind geometric shapes, colours or textures. You might describe a certain piece of music in terms of colour, or physical texture.

A bunch of us on a vintage phonograph recording forum discussed this in detail. Someone would post a restored vintage recording from the acoustic era (pre-electrical) and then we would ask people to describe the colour and texture of a recording and what mental images it brought to mind - and the odd thing was that about 90% of those queried in a double blind fashion would describe the music/recording in nearly exact terms and descriptions.

Read the composer Richard Wagner's writings on his "Leit Motif" theory of musical composition. It is spooky.

Back