OOC Question

Grimalkin

TNPer
This question is to the general TNP RP community that interact with one another.

I would like to bring my nation, the Dominion of the Winter Sidhe, and its various cast of characters into TNP RP. But before I do, I want to gauge your opinions on bringing an obviously supernatural world full of rules that exists parallel to the rest of TNP.

What I would like to do, once the current major conference is complete, is to announce an open invitation for heads of state to gather in Arctis Tor as an introduction to Winter and to parley over the Unseelie Accords.

If there isn't much interest in an alignment of worlds, then so be it, but that is my purpose with this thread.

You can reference my current Factbook (a work in progress) for the Winter Sidhe to get an idea of the context I am coming from.

The Faerie Dominion of the Winter Sidhe

There was once a great role player here with a nation of dragons. He's not here anymore. I'm not optimistic.

Piscivore:
There was once a great role player here with a nation of dragons. He's not here anymore. I'm not optimistic.
Blame Kannex, I'm sure there were others though but he's the only one I remember being against so super sorry to point fingers! :( I miss Darcania.

When I took Darcania's spot on the map I was advised against dragons, so I had to adapt the dragons in my nation to be a part of its mythology rather than actual creatures. I suggest you do the same.

I appreciate the feedback.

But I think I would rather just bow out than to turn my nation into something that I don't want it to be.

It's always acceptable to have a world separate from the real world TNP, a story world of sorts. I know for Yeraennus at least, there's definitely something going on in the woods, but I'm not going to force a roleplay feature like that onto people unless they agree to a story fantastical in nature.

Speaking of which, a fantasy RP would be acceptable, and I'm sure we could find others willing to tie in their myths to an overarching theme. Ask one of the mods/admins about such a possibility.

Hey, RP Mod here!

It is the standing policy that the universe that we RP in is Modern Tech and on the plane laid out by our fantastic TNP Map!

However, this does not stop one from making RPs based in the Future (we did that), or during the dinosaur era (never done that, but it is possible) as long as the thread is clearly marked to designate it as such. Threads done by other people are no longer obligated to recognize your world or creatures even exist, and they have that power as an RPer.

In short, you can play by your rules where people will accept them. If someone thinks the idea is dumb and says, "hey, you can't have that here", then be respectful and just switch to something that will fit better to their story. A story, if good enough, can be good no matter where or when the story is set.

If you have any other questions, please ask me or any of the other RP Mods and we'll be happy to help.

~Boots
RP Mod

I did post my previous statement without reading your actual Factbook. Silly Boots, always trying to be optimistic but not well-informed. [me] slaps his wrist.

I really like what you have going on there. I love the language that is incorporated in and the creativity of the characters and plot, and also the contrast of winter and spring.

It's a shame you have decided to bow out. You are a great RPer (most fantasy RPers are) and I wish you the best of luck.

Myroria:
I wouldn't be opposed to doing fantasy RP so long as I could keep it in a separate canon from my main nations. Perhaps its own section?
I'd be for this as well.

Same here! Having fantasy RPs is also good for creating more exposition on your nation, because the actions taken can be reinterpreted as stories and myths in the real world.

A separate fantasy rp section - with its own map and lore - could be set up.

I could provide the map. I have one. But it's at my mom's house so you'd have to wait until next week.

I don't have a problem with you using the supernatural side of your nation in RP here. But I think in some instances it doesn't work that well - like having a dragon negotiate with a head of state on a particular issue (for example).

I've read previous RPs by you before and they were excellent. I hope we an make something work.

The Grim Reaper:
I started as a fantasy RPer, so I'm up for one. People interested in Modern Tech FanT, or Past Tech FanT?
I think modern tech fantasy sounds cooler. I was always a fan of Vampire: The Masquerade despite its more ridiculous parts, and having a modern city made of mushroom towers for my nation sounds pretty fun! ;)

Modern Tech Fantasy is always fun. I'm now going to begin writing the fantasy aspect of my nation. Be prepared for resemblances to Spirited Away, Over the Garden Wall, and Norse/Celtic Mythology.

Lot more interest than I was expecting. Some kind of Urban fantasy genre is what I had been goomg for, in the hopes of being able to somehow engage national elements.

The ability to develop the Tenebrar into more than people with blue/pink/yellow skin would be fun.

Myroria:
The Grim Reaper:
I started as a fantasy RPer, so I'm up for one. People interested in Modern Tech FanT, or Past Tech FanT?
I think modern tech fantasy sounds cooler. I was always a fan of Vampire: The Masquerade despite its more ridiculous parts, and having a modern city made of mushroom towers for my nation sounds pretty fun! ;)
Plus I could have the Maharajas ride on the flying golden chariots of Hindu legend! :w00t:

I think it'd be easier to do something if we had some sort of Masquerade going on: that is to say, the existence of Magic has little visible effect on the world and the vast majority are unaware of it.

If Grimalkin is willing to RP interactions with wizards and sorcerors living more or less in secret or at least obscurity, this might be a solution that works for everyone.

I am definitely more enthusiastic after seeing the interest expressed here. I am game for any kind of Modern Tech/Urban fantasy setting, or some kind of... non-canon sub-culture existing parallel to the universe, mythology and what not.

Eluvatar:
I think it'd be easier to do something if we had some sort of Masquerade going on: that is to say, the existence of Magic has little visible effect on the world and the vast majority are unaware of it.

If Grimalkin is willing to RP interactions with wizards and sorcerors living more or less in secret or at least obscurity, this might be a solution that works for everyone.
In that case I wouldn't need to change much about Sadakoyama at all.

I don't even have to change much. There's far more wilderness in Yeraennus than there is Civilization and the deaths by getting lost are now easily explained (How's your fancy tech gonna work when surrounded by Spirits and Fae thousands of years old?)

SillyString:
I'm very interested in this as well, though I have no idea how I'd fit it in with SillyString. :P
Silly String.

SILLY String.

SILLY string.

I can see how. :lol:

Cronaal:
Piscivore:
Blame Kannex, I'm sure there were others though but he's the only one I remember being against so super sorry to point fingers! :( I miss Darcania.
Dragons mixing in with the real world is pretty stupid, not gonna mince words.

Kannex:
Cronaal:
Piscivore:
Except this isn't the real world. This is our *imaginations*. I'm perfectly fine with any sort of shenaniganry in an RP setting as long as I get to learn and agree about it beforehand.

Hey, at least when Darcania left he was replaced by Vazos.

Vazos is pretty good too. ;-;

Kannex:
Cronaal:
Piscivore:

Yeraennus:
Kannex:
Cronaal:
Piscivore:
Except this isn't the real world. This is our *imaginations*. I'm perfectly fine with any sort of shenaniganry in an RP setting as long as I get to learn and agree about it beforehand.

We're not having this conversation again.

Anyway - On other points, GBM has said previously that her people are short - which I presumed were like Dwarves, which I have been using as part of the traditional land owners in parts of McMasterdonia. I think fantasy elements can be employed, but we can be sensible about them. Eluvatar's solution is reasonable. I also think a willingness to understand that fantasy elements will not be applicable to /all/ role plays is important, which was a major issue before.

mcmasterdonia:
Anyway - On other points, GBM has said previously that her people are short - which I presumed were like Dwarves, which I have been using as part of the traditional land owners in parts of McMasterdonia. I think fantasy elements can be employed, but we can be sensible about them. Eluvatar's solution is reasonable. I also think a willingness to understand that fantasy elements will not be applicable to /all/ role plays is important, which was a major issue before.
That's not all fantasy. We could just as easily say that everyone in the Mummer ethnic group has a sort of 'ethnically carried dwarfism'.

It's an evolutionary thing. GBM has a very high population density, and if those numbers have been like that for a while, it would make evolutionary sense to become smaller. Smaller people don't need as much food; in times of famine, guess who'll come out better.

Back