2016 US Presidential Election

If Trump is elected president, things will get ugly, and all of the progress we've made as a country in the past 50 years will be wasted.

Nebula:
If Trump is elected president, things will get ugly, and all of the progress we've made as a country in the past 50 years will be wasted.
If Trump is elected, I'm literally moving to Canada. I am seriously NOT joking.

Syrixia:
Nebula:
If Trump is elected, I'm literally moving to Canada. I am seriously NOT joking.
Move to Cascadia. :) We have cookies.

Donald Trump scares the crap out of the Good Old Boys in the Republican Party. Not only that, he scares the crap out of Democrats and all the other "Washington Insiders". There is a very good reason for this, and it is delightfully ironic. The "Establishment" types of all parties have got their knickers in a twist because Trump is breaking the whole political machinery of the "Establishment" by not playing by their rules.

It is no secret that in the American system of party politics, money talks and BS walks. It is also no secret that until Trump came along, any politician seeking any high office, the Presidency of the US in this case, has to have a lot of money to do it. The standard way the political system requires to obtain this money is through donations of cash, and lots of it.

Where does 99% of this cash that politicians require to get elected come from? Everyone ranging from Big Oil (The Saudi Royal Family, Exon, et al), Big Pharmaceutical Companies, Monsanto, Foreign Governments, George Soros, and any number of fabulously rich international Corporations, Wall Street, Banks, Special Interest Groups and - you get the idea. And these big corporate interest donate to both candidates in any given election just to hedge their bets no matter who wins - they own both of the candidates.

Of course, any politician who takes donations has to take into consideration that they are in fact owned by their donors. No one gives a politician any money unless that donor gets what he's paid for. Politicians have to say the right things that keep their donors happy in order to keep the money coming in. If they screw up or say something their rich corporate donors don't like, the money stops coming in and the mass media piles on because they get their money largely from the same people who donate to political candidates. This is, however, not the case with Donald Trump. He's disgustingly rich and he can finance his campaign a dozen times over. And he doesn't have to please his donors because he is his own donor. And this is what has the Republican Party big-wigs all in a tizzy.

No matter how outrageous Trump gets, his money is essentially bottomless compared to the 'Establishment Candidates'. Trump can screw them all up (and he will) by not taking matching funds from the Federal Government, which means he can spend as much money on his campaign as he wants. He can break any candidate that opposes him. But that's not the reason Trump is rising in the poles even after he handed John McCain his arse on a silver platter with a side dish of 'screw you' as the second course.

The real appeal of "The Donald" is the very fact that he is not owned by anyone but himself. He has told his supporters that he doesn't need donations so they should just save their money and let him spend his own money to get elected. He makes it clear that he says what he thinks, unfiltered, and this makes for really good Popularist appeal. You don't have to worry about him bending over backwards to kiss the collective arse of Big Oil, Wall Street, or bow down to the Saudi King for publicity shots in The New York Times and Time Magazine.

His rivals in the Republican field for President (most of them) are all bent out of shape because he can say what he wants to say and not have to worry about where the money is coming from. And that alone irks them to death. In the news media, it's all about Donald no matter what.

Trump is untouchable by the mass media. You see, the normal politician can be lambasted in the media and his donations will dry up. This tactic doesn't and can't work on Trump. After all, he's got more money than all the other candidates put together and all he has to do is keep himself happy and the money is always there. The Mass Media doesn't know how to handle this - even Fox News is frustrated that they can't dent Donald. The media and his opponents in the Republican nomination race attack him, and it only makes him go up even more in the polls. Too funny!

Trump is also not the whimpy "milquetoast" squishy "Democrat Light" candidate that most of the Republican candidates are. You know where he stands - he is unapologetic in the extreme which is refreshing to most people across the political spectrum. Politics is all about Name Recognition and Trump has it. And he has more money than Jeb Bush can muster from Big Oil and the Saudis/OPEC. Trump is nobody's boy but Trump's. And the Washington Insiders hate it.

The biggest nightmare the Republicans have is not that Trump actually gets the Republican nomination. Their biggest nightmare is if he doesn't get the nomination and runs as a third party/independent candidate. That would guarantee a Democrat win in 2016 at least, or a situation whereby no candidate for President gets enough electoral votes to win at best.

The entertainment value of this campaign is priceless. Trump has got his foot firmly implanted in the arse of the whole political campaign system and is exposing it for what it is: a festival of influence peddling which he is the only one who didn't buy an entry ticked.

Is Trump a clown? A sideshow? Not a serious candidate? I don't think so. I think he's quite serious and given his successful business practices, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he didn't get the nomination.

The only thing that could be more amusing would be a Donald Trump - Bernie Sanders ticket in 2016. Now, I'd vote for that ticket just to see what happens. :lol:

Don't you just love it when the whole system comes crashing down in a sparkle-fest of irony and hypocrisy on parade? ;)

He's a sideshow clown engineered to draw off the tea party crazies and make the other Republicans look moderate in comparison.

The Republicans have too many people running. If someone mainstream gets on the ticket, they'll lack the support of the fringes, like the libertarians.
On the other hand, the Democrats only really have Hillary and Bernie.

I'll admit: I hadn't looked at it that way, Roman. Interesting.

Also, in other news, the Huffington Post has announced that all articles on Trump's campaign will be published in Entertainment. :rofl:

Nebula:
Also, in other news, the Huffington Post has announced that all articles on Trump's campaign will be published in Entertainment. :rofl:
Didn't know the Huff Post had a cartoon strip in the Entertainment section.

Andrew:
Lord Ravenclaw:
I'll admit: I hadn't looked at it that way, Roman. Interesting.
Same. Thanks for the insight on this perspective Roman.

You're welcome.

What really twists the testicles of the Republican Party machine is the fact that Trump is talking about all the important issues (regardless if one agrees with him or not, which is, in reality, immaterial) that the Republicans and Democrats want to sweep under the carpet so as not to offend their voter bases.

But therein lies the mistake that all political parties make: they assume that people can be pigeon-holed into neat little categories that all vote as uniform blocs. They assume that all Blacks, all Hispanics, and all Whites vote a certain way. And then the create even smaller artificial sub groups which neglect that no matter how many generalised groups you divide into artificial voter blocs, all these blocs over-lap in a most interesting and totally non-uniform way. If you pander to one group, you will offend another group.

Trump chucks this methodology right out the window, and the result is that the mass media tries to marginalise and depersonalise him by calling him a clown. They are attacking the messenger because they cannot attack the message. Again, no one has ever seen someone pull what Trump is pulling and because he isn't playing by the establishment rules, they don't know how to deal with his message. He can't be bullied, so they resort to relegating him to the "Clown Class", not realising that this won't work.

I'm waiting for more news outlets to pull the classic Josef Goebbels fascist technique of first moving all reporting of Trump to the 'comedy section' (like what the Huffington Post did - and they are great followers of Gobbels' propaganda methods) or not reporting on him at all and shutting him out altogether (like Stalin did in the Soviet Union with his opponents).

Here is where the Democrats/Political Left are showing their hand and making a big mistake - There is an old adage that goes, never tell your enemy when he is about to make a mistake. Make no mistake, the political Left is scared s***less of Trump because they know he can beat Hillary in a debate and an election. If they were so sure that Trump is such a clown and side-show, you would think the Democrats and the Political Left would be happy to see Trump get the Republican Nomination. Think about it.

By the same token, Republicans are just hoping that Bernie Sanders gets the Democrat nomination because they are cock-sure that any Republican candidate would beat Sanders, hands down (which is why the Republicans are saying nothing about Sanders). In fact, the Republicans are largely ignoring Hillary because she probably doesn't stand a chance against a popsicle stick in a general election.

Also, don't put your money on Hillary Clinton getting the Democrat nomination for a plethora of reasons. I'd keep my eye on Sanders or Webb getting the Democrat nomination (or someone who isn't even in the race yet).

Here's what I an about 75% sure will happen - on the Democrat side, after Hillary suffers from a terminal bout of foot-in-mouth disease or a case of mass No one can stand her cackling voice and frumpy clothes (now she dresses like a real clown), and early next year, Joe Biden will suddenly declare his candidacy and win the Democrat Primaries.

Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush generate all the excitement of simultaneously watching paint dry and corn grow amongst voters. Frankly, I would rather jump feet first into an Asplund wood-chipper while listening to old Donny and Marie albums that be subjected to the terminal boredom of a Bush-Clinton race. :lol:

Here's what I am genuinely hoping for in the 2016 Presidential Election - Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump.

The entertainment value of that race would be epic. Absolutely, positively EPIC! :horror: :cheese:

It would be like Ren and Stimpy going at it with chainsaws. Or, better yet Biden vs Trump would be like Bozo The Clown (Biden) vs Godzilla (Trump) with all the stops pulled out. The entertainment value would be epic. EPIC I tell you. EPIC!! Laurel and Hardy (your choice of who is who) on Meth going at it armed only with bludgeons and rubber chickens. :fish:

It would be the end of the world as we know it. And it would be well worth the price of admission! :P

Theme song of the 2016 US Presidential Elections:

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY[/flash]

God Help Us all. :lol:

The Republicans should withdraw their endorsement or kick him out of the party and make him run as an independent.

If he gets the nomination it will be because the GOP have given up.

Roman is right when he says that Trump isn't bound to any interests. Trump is instead bound to his own insanity, pettiness and would yo-yo politically as much as he has financially.

If he were elected, I doubt he'd make it his entire term before he was recalled, impeached, or overthrown violently.

I don't believe we can recall the president. Impeachment would require him to violate the law, which he hasn't done (yet). Or he could be impeached if he manages to piss off enough members of congress. He's already working on that. And overthrowing him probably would not work.

TL;DR is that Roman is drinking the Trump flavoured kool-aid :P

The Republican Party is a party of good ol' boys, Trump included. I care more about what a gorilla trained to use sign language thinks about immigration than what he thinks. In fact, I would vote for a parrot trained to imitate political speeches before I would vote for Donald Trump. I would rather see his collected body of written speeches burned by a castaway on a deserted island for warmth than ever talked about publicly again.

I care as much for the hardworking businessman Donald Trump as I do for the wealthiest termite in a termite colony. If he tears the Republican party apart from the inside, it will be the best thing to happen to that disgusting morass since Lincoln was elected.

Myroria:
The Republican Party is a party of good ol' boys, Trump included. I care more about what a gorilla trained to use sign language thinks about immigration than what he thinks. In fact, I would vote for a parrot trained to imitate political speeches before I would vote for Donald Trump. I would rather see his collected body of written speeches burned by a castaway on a deserted island for warmth than ever talked about publicly again.

I care as much for the hardworking businessman Donald Trump as I do for the wealthiest termite in a termite colony. If he tears the Republican party apart from the inside, it will be the best thing to happen to that disgusting morass since Lincoln was elected.
:agree:

I just can't take Trump seriously as he would turn America into the laughing stock of the world. Whenever someone (be it a person or a country) doesn't agree with his insane ideology, Trump does all in his power to troll and demean that someone. I personally hope the Republicans pick him as their nominee so that the Democrats can sweep the 2016 election.

Kalti:
I just can't take Trump seriously as he would turn America into the laughing stock of the world. Whenever someone (be it a person or a country) doesn't agree with his insane ideology, Trump does all in his power to troll and demean that someone. I personally hope the Republicans pick him as their nominee so that the Democrats can sweep the 2016 election.
A good strategy, but they're actually scared. See above.

On the other hand, Trump's election would lead to legislative gridlock. The Democrats would be against him, and he'd probably even lack the support of some moderate Republicans.

Nebula:
If he were elected, I doubt he'd make it his entire term before he was recalled, impeached, or overthrown violently.

mcmasterdonia:
A violent overthrow? I doubt that.

Sarah Palin 4 Pres.

Heh, they haven't violently overthrown Obama. They wouldn't do Trump in that way either.

Slim Dusty 4 Pres - Death is no excuse! :lol:

Kalti:
He is not going to get the nomination. In the end the people don't pick party nominations, the primaries are nothing but a gauge of where the wind is blowing but the parties are in no way bound by their results. Jeb or one of the moderate republicans are going to get it which is just what needs to happen. Because in all seriousness then Trump will run as a third party independent, handing the presidency to the Democracts. In all reality in the US 50% vote left and 50% vote right. Its almost always those small percentage points that make the difference, but if you have two major people on one side run then they are going to pull enough support away from each other that it hands the victory to the other side.

IIRC, that's how Democrat Woodrow Wilson won. Taft and Teddy ran against each other in the primaries, Taft won, Teddy started the Progressive party, and those who normally vote Republican were split between the two, leaving Wilson to win rather decisively.

Back