Syrixia

The one, the true, the great.
-
TNP Nation
Syrixia
Discord
TrialByDance#0419
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Anyways, this is a thread for OOC discussion on religion in Eve.

Christianity's a fundamental part of my story. If you can have RL languages, RL religions can be on here too. From a historiographical perspective, they are both accidents of history.

Now then, let's get down to business.

Anyways, as we were talking about before, many nations have churches, such as Ceretis, Kannex, and Syrixia, dedicated to the worship of Christ. Now, the region of Esquarium, which I am in, took the figure of Jesus, with the exact same likeness, name, etc. and crafted a new story for him to fit the RP world. I wanna try and do that for TNP, but obviously this requires cooperation of all the Christian nations participating in TNP's RP world, Eve.

Now, to make things easier and make sure Kannex doesn't debate-rage on us, I suggest we make Eve Jesus's story similar to that of IRL Jesus. This means we need to start by finding a Promised Land; the Canaan of Eve. Now, don't start just randomly claiming that your nation is Eve's Canaan. In Earth, it's in one place; Israel. There's no dispute as far as I know.

But anyways, enough rambling from me. Thoughts, Canaan claims (hopefully with a background and possible story for where Jesus went and what he did) and replies?

Didn't you make your messiah named Chrost, or something?

Anyways I'd rather just stick with Jesus Christ. I don't think anybody would be offended with using a RL religion for a story, as long as I write it properly.

The Confederation is primarily Unitarian Universalist and Wiccan with Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism thrown in.

Sadakoyama is atheist with a strong interest in secular Zen Buddhism.

One of the great things about story telling, and religion in particular, is that sometimes less is more; the reader infers what pleases him. I think trying to nail down all these "facts" about Eve Jesus is a huge mistake, because even the "facts" about Earth Jesus diverge wildly, depending on who you ask ... including his existence as an actual human person, let alone the virgin birth and magic powers.

Then, let's lay down some groundwork.

Eve Jesus will probably: (unless I'm prompted to delete it via debate or something)

- Have a miracle virgin birth

- Grow up and preach in the Promised Land

- Be accused of false crimes via a betrayal from a Judas figure

- Be crucified by an empire because they thought he was a threat to their power

- His followers create the first Church, religion spreads, the Church splits between nations, as well as ideals/thoughts

- Today there are many denominations of Eve Christianity

Kannex:
Christianity's a fundamental part of my story. If you can have RL languages, RL religions can be on here too. From a historiographical perspective, they are both accidents of history.
I would say no to that for two reasons. Language was not an accident and was a natural flowing development of communication of different regions that changed by interacting with each other over periods a long period.

Religions on the other hands are the result of myths and stories told directly due to the experience of a people. Could the Abrahamic religions have been developed on earth if the Levant did not exist, hell no, all of them directly appeared from and built off of the specific cultural experiences of the people of the Levant region. No religion is a better example of this then the Egyption Pantheon, which could not have been created without the Nile River Delta.

Also most modern religions like Christianity, and Islam. were only saved from dying out due to one major factor. Massive empires. Christianity was only able to become so wide spread by latching onto the dying breaths of the Roman Empire, Islam was born directly with the conquring of most of the "middle east", part of Europe, Most of Northern Africa, and part of Asia. The lack of these massive empires in TNP history, really means major religions really would not exist and would be more regional or national.

plembobria:
Oh god. Why can't we just say RL religions exist without going too far into there origins?
If we do not know their origins then there may as well be no religions at all. It will just not work. Without foundations a house cannot stand.

Lord Lore:
Kannex:
I would say no to that for two reasons. Language was not an accident and was a natural flowing development of communication of different regions that changed by interacting with each other over periods a long period.

Religions on the other hands are the result of myths and stories told directly due to the experience of a people. Could the Abrahamic religions have been developed on earth if the Levant did not exist, hell no, all of them directly appeared from and built off of the specific cultural experiences of the people of the Levant region. No religion is a better example of this then the Egyption Pantheon, which could not have been created without the Nile River Delta.

Also most modern religions like Christianity, and Islam. were only saved from dying out due to one major factor. Massive empires. Christianity was only able to become so wide spread by latching onto the dying breaths of the Roman Empire, Islam was born directly with the conquring of most of the "middle east", part of Europe, Most of Northern Africa, and part of Asia. The lack of these massive empires in TNP history, really means major religions really would not exist and would be more regional or national.
Are you kidding? If one sound change or one grammatical change had not happened from the transition from Old English to Modern English, you would not have English today. All languages are purely accidental. If English had kept its cases, you and I would be speaking a language morphologically similar to German. Do you think some bloke decided off the bat, "I'm going to drop grammatical cases from my Anglo-Saxon tongue"? No, it doesn't work like that. The English language as we know it would not exist without a) the Proto-Indo-Europeans, b) the Germanic tribes, c) the Anglo-Saxon invasion of England, and d) Normans coming over and Frenchifying the English language.

Similarly for religion, Christianity would not be there without Judaism. Judaism probably wouldn't have taken its current form if it were not for Zoroastrian influence. The pantheons of most of the European peoples came from the Proto-Indo-European pantheon, including the common "Father Sky" trope that later became Zeus in Greece. They're both accidents of history.

Tldr; Christianity exists here and so does German. I already replaced "Germany" with a fictitious "Teutonland" in my history. I assume "Teutonland" exists somewhere off our regional map, or perhaps is the collective figment of the Kannexan people's imagination. But I'm keeping them both.

plembobria:
Oh god. Why can't we just say RL religions exist without going too far into there origins?
Seriously. This.

Using a healthy does of handwavium is much better when it comes to things like religion and languages, unless we want to go the route of divvying up and assigning every advance, invention, event and ideology in humanity's history between nations.

And I will literally kill each and every one of you if you try to do that.

Nierr:
plembobria:
Seriously. This.

Using a healthy does of handwavium is much better when it comes to things like religion and languages, unless we want to go the route of divvying up and assigning every advance, invention, event and ideology in humanity's history between nations.

:agree:

Nierr:
plembobria:
Seriously. This.

Andulus calls the invention of the chainsaw :D

just kidding <.<

I am for RL languages but I really dont like to add in RL religions, mainly because Languages is a must or all RPs would be a sea of random letters, symbols and etc mashed together in an incomprehencible way. But Religions more or less must flow for the most part from massive ancient empires which is something that TNP just doesn't have./

I should tell you The United States of New Sekai is a secular nation, however the majority of the populations is atheists.

Kannex:
Nierr:
plembobria:
Seriously. This.

:agree:
Thank you....I kinda hoped things like this were self-explanitory already without the need to detail everything

Piscivore:
Mr Insanity:
I should tell you The United States of New Sekai is a secular nation, however the majority of the populations is atheists.
"Secular" means "non-religious" :)
Not necessarily; 'secular' when applied to governments or countries means there is no state religion, not that they are non-religious.

I actually wouldn't mind discussing the religions of our countries. Kannex is Christian. The Church of Kannex is state-sponsored and is Protestant. There is a sizable Catholic minority in southern Kannex. Meanwhile, Pelhafor is majority Catholic, with a Kannexan-supported Protestant elite.

And there's another thing. Catholicism and Protestantism. How can they exist here? How was there a Reformation? Where was the Catholic Church located? And where the hell is our Canaan?

Syrixia:
And there's another thing. Catholicism and Protestantism. How can they exist here? How was there a Reformation? Where was the Catholic Church located? And where the hell is our Canaan?
Who the hell cares?

Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
If we do not know the backstories of our religions, we do not know the validities that make those religions what they are.

Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
If we do not know the backstories of our religions, we do not know the validities that make those religions what they are.
That is why we choose not to care.

plembobria:
Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
Then how do we know our religions are valid? How do we know it's not just a random story some kid told and others bought, instead of teachings by and based off of actual events and important people?

Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
Then how do we know our religions are valid? How do we know it's not just a random story some kid told and others bought, instead of teachings by and based off of actual events and important people?
We don't know they're valid, because we do not care. This argument is now a circle. We do not care, therefore it affects nothing. It affects nothing because we do not care.

Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
You're overcomplicating things.

plembobria:
Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
We don't know they're valid, because we do not care. This argument is now a circle. We do not care, therefore it affects nothing. It affects nothing because we do not care.
How is an adherent to a religion supposed to follow it if no one cares about whether it is valid to begin with or not?

Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
Jesus was a messiah who died for our sins when he was crucified by an empire. The Roman Catholic Church was established and built around itself a huge, rich Catholic tradition. The Reformation happened when a monk named Martin Luther rebelled against the Church and led to a schism.

See how I didn't reference any real-world places? I could, but it doesn't matter.

Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
How is an adherent to a religion supposed to follow it if no one cares about whether it is valid to begin with or not?
That's a question that applies to RL religions as well! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kannex:
If it doesn't matter then how about we just call it the Catholic Church without the Roman and end it there? That seems like a win-win.
Plembobria:
Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
Who the hell cares?
That's a question that applies to RL religions as well! :lol: :lol: :lol:
My head is beginning to hurt.

Syrixia:
A a nation of atheists: How indeed? :P

Piscivore:
Syrixia:
A nation of atheists: How indeed? :P
Does anyone know of a 'mind blown' emote? :lol:

Syrixia:
As an atheist, I find this quote amusing.

Back