[CLOSED] Outer Space Treaty Organization

Benolia

TNPer
-
OSTO.png

Outer Space Treaty ~ North Pacific Space Station
Inspired by the success of The Outer Space Treaty, The Cascadian Commonwealth has created The Outer Space Treaty Organization. This organization shall be comprised of a representative from willing signers of The North Pacific Outer Space Treaty. These representatives will work to further the advance of humanity into space.

The Assembly

The Assembly is the group of representatives that come together at The Outer Space Treaty Organization's Head Quarters, located in Vancouver, Cascadia. They coordinate outer space activities with our Member States and promote the international cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space. Assemblymen may present proposals to accomplish this effort, and they will be voted on in this thread for 48-hours after a 4-day discussion period.

Assembly Members:

Current Proposals:

None

Application:

Note that to submit a representative to this organization, your must first be a signer of The North Pacific Outer Space Treaty.

Code:
[i]Short Nation Name:[/i] [b]INSERT HERE[/b]

[i]Chosen Representative:[/i] [b]INSERT HERE[/b]

Short Nation Name: the Imperial Military Khanate of the Kingdom of Wolfsea

Chosen Representative: Grand Legate Valen Darr

Wolfsea:
Short Nation Name: the Imperial Military Khanate of the Kingdom of Wolfsea

Chosen Representative: Grand Legate Valen Darr
Also, you were supposed to use your short nation name... :headbang:

Thank you both for applying. I have updated the list. Wolfsea, you have already applied and been added to the list, so I disregarded your post. We can start operation whenever you guys say to.

[me]

I would like to present a proposal. Feel free to present any changes or additions you wish to see:

Outer Space Treaty Organization
Proposal For Coordination of North Pacific Space Station

Upon the passing of this proposal, member nations of the Outer Space Treaty Organization will coordinate an effort to construct an international space station.

The Space Station shall be named the "North Pacific Space Station" and be used by all willing members of this organization for research purposes on the effects of outer space only.

Cascadia:
I would like to present a proposal. Feel free to present any changes or additions you wish to see:

Upon the passing of this proposal, member nations of the Outer Space Treaty Organization will coordinate an effort to construct an international space station.

The Space Station shall be named the "North Pacific Space Station" and be used by all willing members of this organization for research purposes on the effects of outer space only.
Agree.

Cascadia:

We supporting this proposal.

While not a signatory, Sadakoyama would like to advise this august body that we have a number of satellites and classified objects in geosynchronous orbit above our country, or whose orbits cross our airspace with great frequency, including a small station of our own.

Over Sadakoyama it is quite busy, we don't want to see any accidents occur. There is plenty of space around the rest of the planet, please stay out of our sky.

Piscivore:
While not a signatory, Sadakoyama would like to advise this august body that we have a number of satellites and classified objects in geosynchronous orbit above our country, or whose orbits cross our airspace with great frequency, including a small station of our own.

Over Sadakoyama it is quite busy, we don't want to see any accidents occur. There is plenty of space around the rest of the planet, please stay out of our sky.
We, at least in Cascadia, have the technology to prevent orbital collisions. Nevertheless, we will ensure the station does not overlap your satellites' trajectory and respect your request.

Cascadia:
Piscivore:

We, at least in Cascadia, have the technology to prevent orbital collisions. Nevertheless, we will ensure the station does not overlap your satellites' trajectory and respect your request.
Appreciated, thank you.

In the interested of scientific cooperation, we would be willing to exchange data on a quid pro quo basis. We also have several labs with a great deal of expertise and practical experience that would be willing and eager to work with your group should mutually amenable terms, including but not limited to financial remuneration, be arrived at.

Piscivore:
Cascadia:
Piscivore:

Appreciated, thank you.

In the interested of scientific cooperation, we would be willing to exchange data on a quid pro quo basis. We also have several labs with a great deal of expertise and practical experience that would be willing and eager to work with your group should mutually amenable terms, including but not limited to financial remuneration, be arrived at.
We would be fine with supplying remuneration for your data, and we would share any research data we have on the station with you. Would you consider becoming a signatory?

Cascadia:
Piscivore:
Appreciated, thank you.

We would be fine with supplying remuneration for your data, and we would share any research data we have on the station with you. Would you consider becoming a signatory?
I apologize, I was not clear; we would of course exchange unclassified data without payment or fee, such is the mandate of science. The labs will likely have a slightly different view about their labor and equipment, however.

As for the treaty, we are not by nature joiners. We have our own path and frequently that puts us at odds with more bureaucratically minded nations.

For instance, in the treaty in question, we have problems with the clause "for the benefit and in the interests of all nations". We cannot agree to this in the case of nations that become hostile to us. We feel Sadakoyama--with our singular devotions to science, education, and egalitarian equality--exists in precarious position among nations with differing values. Were the clause in question changed to "for the benefit and in the interests of all humanity"--or, in deference to the esteemed inhabitants of Darcania and our own work in AI "for the benefit and in the interests of all sentient entities"--we would feel less restricted were we to find ourselves at need of using space-based resources to the detriment of a particular nation if it served the greater good.

We have an issue with the third point; as our conversation up to this point illustrates we do consider the space above Sadakoyama "our sky".

We are amused by the fourth point, as some of your signatories already have or are suspected of having such weapons already in orbit. And as well, we would not wish to feel restricted if Sadakoyama determined such weapons formed an essential element of ensuring our existential survival.

Piscivore:
Cascadia:
Piscivore:
Appreciated, thank you.

I apologize, I was not clear; we would of course exchange unclassified data without payment or fee, such is the mandate of science. The labs will likely have a slightly different view about their labor and equipment, however.

As for the treaty, we are not by nature joiners. We have our own path and frequently that puts us at odds with more bureaucratically minded nations.

For instance, in the treaty in question, we have problems with the clause "for the benefit and in the interests of all nations". We cannot agree to this in the case of nations that become hostile to us. We feel Sadakoyama--with our singular devotions to science, education, and egalitarian equality--exists in precarious position among nations with differing values. Were the clause in question changed to "for the benefit and in the interests of all humanity"--or, in deference to the esteemed inhabitants of Darcania and our own work in AI "for the benefit and in the interests of all sentient entities"--we would feel less restricted were we to find ourselves at need of using space-based resources to the detriment of a particular nation if it served the greater good.

We have an issue with the third point; as our conversation up to this point illustrates we do consider the space above Sadakoyama "our sky".

We are amused by the fourth point, as some of your signatories already have or are suspected of having such weapons already in orbit. And as well, we would not wish to feel restricted if Sadakoyama determined such weapons formed an essential element of ensuring our existential survival.
As for your final note; which nations are you referring to?

(OOC: If you're talking about me I suggest you refer to the fact that NOBODY KNOWS, and they probably won't ever be used. :D They're just there for MAD security precautions. Anyways, you don't know and no excuse you have is gonna change that. ;) )

Syrixia:
(OOC: If you're talking about me I suggest you refer to the fact that NOBODY KNOWS, and they probably won't ever be used. :D They're just there for MAD security precautions. Anyways, you don't know and no excuse you have is gonna change that. ;) )
No, I meant the Heliocannons, one of which Wolfsea fired during the recent unpleasantness.

ETA: And just FYI, if spotting a plane is easy, objects in space are even easier. Is there a bush or something you think you are gonna hide a weapons platform behind? Everyone and anyone with a telescope or even a pair of binoculars of sufficient strength can see it.
http://io9.com/how-you-can-track-every-spy-satellite-in-orbit-1685316357

Nebula:
(Right, but how hard is it to disguise it and make it look benign?)
It can be done, but is anybody really going to buy a "communications satellite" with multiple 20-meter long tungsten "antennae"? :) Form follows function in space; each ounce sent up costs a lot so most space equipment is spare and spartan to the extreme (this is the reason there aren't missile bases in space; for each space bomb a country can have multiple ICBMs, which are easier to hide in the bargain). WMDs on the other hand are generally large, so having a peaceful use object in space big enough to hide a weapons platform is going to have to look like a small station or the Hubble or something.

Syrixia seemed to be saying they'd be undetectable somehow.

Back