NPTO Charter Conference

Syrixia:
Syrixia:
Powers of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman

Formal NPTO Policies
I think we should still talk about the above items, if we haven't already.
Formal NPTO policies are set by the Assembly. If we add every bit of imaginable policy to the charter, the Assembly will be useless.

The Chairman's job is to execute or enforce the laws passed by the Assembly. The Chairman delegates executive power to the Deputy Chairman as he thinks fit.

Alright, so we did talk about those. What about the applications debacle I also mentioned in that post?

That will be moved and replaced by a new application thread that has an oath based on the preamble of the charter.

Also, the only thing I can think of more would be a suspension/removal clause.

If a new oath is all that is required, we can just edit the Oath. Both you and I have mod powers over this entire subforum; it can be done.

Syrixia:
I disagree with this; and here's why. Say a country is in a civil war. The government is tyrannical, corrupt and evil and the rebels stand for freedom, justice and democracy. Would we need to ask the government to help bring its destruction? That would be dumb.

I suggest a clause is made making such situations and other similar ones an exception.
The Khan feels that such an intervention would best be restricted to Security Council approval, however, should the situation reach a point where said nation utilises chemical or biological agents, the threat of intervention must be made.

Agreed, though we're currently talking about the application thread at the moment.

The application thread is not mentioned in the Charter, therefore, should not be mentioned here. Wolfsea, in your post, you mention the Security Council, do you mean the TNP SC, the GP SC, or a NPTO SC?

When I meant the application thread I was referring to the very concept of application and what we should do with the thread. I suggest, as before, we make this easier and more efficient if we just add a clause talking about the application thread.

From what I've seen, your only grievances against the thread are:

1. It was not authorized by your Office. Yes, that was a mistake on my part. However:

2. The Oath is not right based on the Charter, and thus the thread should be removed.
Why don't we just add a new oath into my proposed clause and then post it in the thread where the old oath was?

This would be a much easier and more practical way of solving the problem, and would provide a groundwork for applying as I envisioned while remaining within Charter parameters as you're envisioning.

Bootsie:
The application thread is not mentioned in the Charter, therefore, should not be mentioned here. Wolfsea, in your post, you mention the Security Council, do you mean the TNP SC, the GP SC, or a NPTO SC?
Ideally the TNP SC

The TNP SC is not IC and has virtually no presence in TNP RP. An NPTO SC, however, would be a pretty decent idea and I support its creation.

Ooh, more simple. Me likey.

Anyways, I'll wait as long as needed but I'd like to know Bootsie's point on my idea about editing the Oath in the application thread to fit charter parameters (and thus saving unnecessary archiving and thread creating/typing).

I stated it more detailed-ly in my last post concerning the idea, so perhaps you should take a look at that too.

After that I think we're all set on the Charter.

Proposed Oath:

I, [leader of nation] pledge to never engage in conflict with any other members of NPTO, protect the other member nations in their time of need, and to only use my army for the good of the other member nations. I will break the barriers between governmental types and work together; and I will help my organization to not be the battle ground between dictatorships and democracies, but instead, help form the shield of peace surrounding its member nations that I most honorably shall protect.

Syrixia, having two threads and different oaths will be confusing to new nations wanting to join, which I thought it would be better to move one.

And Plem, the Assembly sounds more like a general assembly, not a security council. If you really wanted a security council, which I would probably call E5 (Entente of Five), since SC is heavily used, would probably bring more power away from the chairman. Also, this helps strengthen NPTOPF because until the formation of the Blue Berets (UN Peacekeepers) the UNSC had no real power.

Quick question: who would the E5 be? Would they be democratically elected or permanent?

The E5, or Peace Council, or whatever we eventually decide to call it, is going to at first be just five permanent members from the founding nations. As we grow, however, we can start offering non-permanent seats in which the Council will open nominations, and ask for them to serve a certain number of months on the Council.

Permanent is relative, of course, if one of the permanent seats is vacant, we will offer that one up as well.

Well, that's where it gets tricky...the first three are me, Syrixia, and Eumenor, but then we had a huge spurge of members after that. I also don't know who is interested.

I think RPI and Plemby would make good councillors.

Also, Boots, what do you think of the edited application oath? I put in yours.

So, you'd want the permanent seats to be held by the following, Syrixia?:

Guslantis
Syrixia
Eumenor
Plembobria
RPI

I believe at 20 members, two temporary members can be added.

It makes sense for the first two chairs to be in there, and the other permanent members seem to be experienced (from what I've seen)

Okay. Now that we have that worked out and we seem to have a consensus on most things including this Council of Five or whatever it's called, I say we should get this written up. I'm not good at charter writing but if you guys can write one I can make it look very snazzy. Like, very, very snazzy.

I know what you can do, Syrixia. If you can make an inverted color-scheme seal of the Peace Council, that would help a lot.

(Gold ring and blue text)

Please add this somewhere:

Peace Council:
There shall be a council to oversee the military activities of the NPTO called the Peace Council. The Peace Council shall be composed of five NTPO members elected every four months by the assembly.

Add a clause to Article 6 that says:

The Chairman shall be elected by the Assembly for four months.

Changes to Article 7:
There shall be group of armed force for peace within the NPTO called the NPTO Peacekeeping Forces.

The Peacekeeping Forces shall composed of teams volunteered by the Parties at their discretion. Each team shall be led by a commander subordinate to the Commander-in-Chief.

The Commander-in-Chief of the Peacekeeping Forces shall be elected by the Assembly for four months.

All operations of the Peacekeeping Forces shall be approved by the Chairperson Peace Council before they shall be executed.

The Assembly has the power to cancel any operation of the Peacekeeping Forces.

The Peacekeeping Forces shall only be used in sovereign territory on the request of said territory's government.

The Peacekeeping Forces shall not be used to invade sovereign territory unless the Assembly Peace Council be presented with evidence of compelling interest to do so. In such a hearing, the government to be invaded shall have the right to debate such evidence. The Assembly Peace Council shall then decide if the aforementioned evidence evinces compelling interest for an invasion.

Syrixia:
Yay! So once the charter is finalized can I re-open the Application Thread?
Remember the charter doesn't take effect until the nations listed in Article Eight deposit their notifications of ratification with the Guslant Government. I recommend that thread be started for this purpose once the Charter has been fully written.
Syrixia:
Okay. Now that we have that worked out and we seem to have a consensus on most things including this Council of Five or whatever it's called, I say we should get this written up. I'm not good at charter writing but if you guys can write one I can make it look very snazzy. Like, very, very snazzy.
The Charter doesn't need special formatting. It's best that it stay in clean, plain text.

Bootsie:
I know what you can do, Syrixia. If you can make an inverted color-scheme seal of the Peace Council, that would help a lot.

(Gold ring and blue text)
I will have that done by tonight. Same thing goes for your and RPI's Campaign Buttons.

Also, I'd prefer if the PC was elected by the Assembly, though I think the Chair and Deputy Chair should be automatically appointed into the council upon election, so there is no risk of civil division in the NPTO between the PC and the Chairs.

Finishing my draft of the Peace Council into the Charter. Might not be 'til the weekend when I post it, though. I have a busy RL week ahead of me.

Back