[GA] At Vote Nuclear Material Pact [Complete]

Nuclear Material Pact

Category: Free Trade | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Jean Pierre Trudeau | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION AT VOTE
Nuclear Material Pact
A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade
Strength: Mild

Proposed by: Jean Pierre Trudeau

Description: World Assembly,
Understanding the enormous technological, economical, and energy potential of nuclear energy,
Aware that nuclear energy requires substantial amounts of raw nuclear materials that are not always in abundance within some nations,
Believing that all member nations, and their populaces should have the right to clean, long lasting supplies of nuclear energy,
The General Assembly hereby:

For the purposes of this resolution defines:
Nuclear energy as the sustained use of nuclear fission or fusion to generate heat and electricity;
Nuclear material as a material capable of sustaining a nuclear fission or fusion chain reaction.
Decrees that member nations shall not subject their trading partners to unnecessary tariffs on nuclear materials destined for use in nuclear power facilities,
Urges members to cease trading raw nuclear materials to nations of ill repute,
Declares that the World Assembly shall not pass any further resolutions preventing the trade of nuclear materials destined for use in nuclear reactors.
Votes For
Votes Against
Votes For: 740 (35%)
Votes Against: 1,387 (65%)
This thread is for both discussion and voting.

When voting, please use one of the following options: For | Against | Abstain | Present

"Abstain" means that you wish for the Delegate to not vote on the resolution at all.
"Present" means that you effectively choose not to participate in this vote. "Present" has no effect on how the Delegate votes.

Posts which do not include an explicit and unambiguous vote are not counted in the tally.

I am new to the WA staff. Learning more about resolutions. Since the WA minister spot is vacant I thought it was atleast important to start a vote thread on the current resolution. i am at RL work now. But this evening with permission of the delegate I will advertise its presence via the functions and process set up by the WA ministry and will attempt to opine on this resolution to the best of my ability. Thanks.

Offical Recommendation:

Upon reading this resolution it states:

"Decrees that member nations shall not subject their trading partners to unnecessary tariffs on nuclear materials destined for use in nuclear power facilities,"

A Tariff is a tax on imports or exports and are used to restrict trade, as they increase the price of imported goods and services, making them more expensive to consumers.

Governments impose tariffs for legitiment reasons to shore up treasury money in lieu of taxation of their own citizens or to promote the sale and trade of a countries own domestic product over foreign imports.

This segment seems to run afoul of free market trading and urges WA member states to not be allowed to set and drive their own economic policies in regard to trade of nuclear materials between member states.

"Urges members to cease trading raw nuclear materials to nations of ill repute,

This resolution does not define how to spot a nation of "ill repute" or explain how they may be defined. Which nation is a nation of ill repute? Who decides it is a nation of ill repute?
This also seems to interfere with a nations right to free trade and freely contract with the nations of their choosing.

"Declares that the World Assembly shall not pass any further resolutions preventing the trade of nuclear materials destined for use in nuclear reactors."

Fair enough. I am okay with there not being resolutions in place that interfere with free trade.

Conclusion:

This proposal could be worded more strongly. As it is. It does not define what nations are of "ill repute" with such things being open to intrepretation it could be used to apply to almost any nation. It interferes with a nations right to define their own economic policy by urging them to not place "unnecessary tarriffs on trading partners"

And from reading the GA forum thread it seems to be an attempt to be used as a blocker to stop this previously failed attempt at a repeal of the Nuclear Security Convention. Qorum Failed Repeal Nuclear Security Convention

It is my opinion that this resolution was not written with the intent to futher enhance the aims of the world assembly but rather to be a stumbling block to those that seek a repeal of a resolution that certain member states feel has flawed language.

As such it is my opinion to formally recomend an Against vote on this resolution.

As always Members are free to vote their conscious and share their opinion in this regard.

Thank you so much for taking care of this for me, Paul.

As for my vote, I vote Against.

Sorry wolfstar you do not seem to have a WA nation in TNP. Youre welcome to share your opinion but any vote still will not count.

Still at 0-6-0 for against. The Delegates vote will remain against unless other tnpers vote otherwise.

The Andulans stand against this proposal. Getting away its ridiculous goals, it is poorly worded and is a dangerous stopgap measure to bar any future proposal from creating a regulatory body.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Governments impose tariffs for legitiment reasons to shore up treasury money in lieu of taxation of their own citizens or to promote the sale and trade of a countries own domestic product over foreign imports.

This segment seems to run afoul of free market trading and urges WA member states to not be allowed to set and drive their own economic policies in regard to trade of nuclear materials between member states.
...are you somehow arguing that imposing tariffs (for "legitiment" reasons) constitutes "free market trading"? Protectionism is absolute anathema to free trade.

Nonetheless, we're happy this failed.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back