The North Pacific Navy Bill

Alunya

TNPer
TNP Nation
Alunya
As The North Pacific is littorally (pun intended) an oceanic region, the following bill is introduced for your consideration:

The North Pacific Navy Bill:
Chapter 5, Section 5.3, Clause 12 of the Legal Code shall have the abbreviation NPA struck and the abbreviation NPN substituted in its place.

Revised:
12. The Vice Delegate must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists, voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPN sanctioned mission.
Chapter 6, Section 6.4, Clause 27 of the Legal Code shall have the word army struck and the phrase naval force substituted in its place.

Revised:
27. War does not constitute actions taken by or against any naval force of the North Pacific abroad unless the conflict meets the conditions above.
Chapter 8 of the Legal Code shall be re-titled as follows:

Revised:
Chapter 8: The North Pacific Naval Doctrine
Chapter 8 of the Legal Code shall have the word Army and the abbreviation NPA struck and the word Navy and abbreviation NPN substituted in their places respectively.

Revised:
1. The North Pacific Navy (the NPN) has five primary purposes:
  • a. To protect and defend the region of The North Pacific;
  • b. To protect and defend the allies of The North Pacific;
  • c. To assist the allies and friends of The North Pacific in whatever capacity is available;
  • d. To maintain a well trained military;
  • e. To implement regional defense and diplomatic policies as adopted under the laws of The North Pacific.

2. The NPN is always permitted, consistent with adopted regional defense and diplomatic policies, to deploy under the following circumstances:
  • a. To counter or preemptively stop:
    • i) A direct threat to the North Pacific;
    • ii) A direct threat to a North Pacifican ally;
  • b. To assist a region or organization as permitted by the delegate, an existing treaty, or the Minister for Defence;
  • c. Upon the orders of the appointed Minister of Defense or a person thus delegated to act in their name; and
  • d. The Regional Assembly may mandate that the NPN follow through on a declaration of war or a policy approved by the Regional Assembly.

3. The NPN must follow all of the following criteria on every mission in foreign regions, except against designated enemy regions:
  • a. Minimize collateral damage;
  • b. Respect the culture of the region and the wishes of the natives;
  • c. Minimize threat to The North Pacific and allies;
  • d. Restore region to its original state before leaving;
  • e. Contact the most recent native delegate when acting proactively;

4. The NPN must operate so that:
  • a. The Delegate can issue a blanket approval for the NPN to work with a given organisation. The Minister for Defence or the Delegate must still authorize individual missions.
  • b. Any NPN member may refuse to take part in any mission which does not directly impact TNP security for any reason that the Minister of Defence or the Delegate determines is reasonable.
  • c. The Regional Assembly may override by simple majority vote any NPN deployment not previously approved by the Regional Assembly. The Speaker shall accept motions to override for voting on an expedited basis.

5. The NPN must not do the following except following: (a) a regional consensus toward a region at war with TNP or (b) a request from a recognized government in exile of that region:
  • a. Remove any residents from an invaded region that resided in the region prior to said invasion;
  • b. Act with any degree of disrespect;
  • c. Alter the region's chosen embassy list against the wishes of the region's natives.
The bill does not in any way substantively change the policies and procedures of our military forces. It may require a renaming of ranks.

>^,,^<
Alunya

I dont want to be a salior, those cramped quarters on long voyages and deployments. I'm too fragile.

If you'd like to start an all cat Navy to help the NPA on deployment, I am sure the MOD would listen.

Same here, it is sensible and in line with what our region is. Thank you for putting this forward, Alunya. I can only imagine how difficult this was for you with those cumbersome paws.

My only qualm here is a historical one - the NPA has been the military of TNP (when we've had one) for quite some time. But having a navy makes sense, and fits with the theme of the region. I'd likely vote Aye if this goes to vote.

I guess NPN would be harder to confuse with NPIA than NPA is, as far as the initialisms go.

I guess I'd be interested in hearing what the delegate, minister of defense, members of the NPA, and long time TNPers think about this? Thematically I think it makes sense, but there's some culture and history bound up with the NPA that I wouldn't want getting lost.

As an NPAer. I like keeping it as it is. However, possibly. Just throwing that out there, it might be fun to have different branches of the military. An NPA, an NPN, an NPAF, and a RNPM (Royal North Pacific Marine Corps.) ..would all be over the perview of MoD and have its own commanders. And recruits can sign enlistment papers with their chosen branch. And we all cooperate and mutual aid each other. And also each branch can carry out its own operations.

But that would entail more than just 12 people signing up and actively partcipating at a given time ;)

Also we could have the NPCG (Coast Guard)

Ohhh if this passes can we rename the Regional Guard the 'Coast Guard' and the NPA Aux the NPN Reserves?

I prefer NPA just because that is the name I was responsible for reforming it as and the name we have worked under since BWII was Delegate. We can put this to a discussion with NPA members if you would like me to Alunya :)

I personally prefer to stick with the NPA.

PaulWall has an interesting idea similar to one that I had a couple of years ago. Also establish a NP "Navy" which largely consists of nations, not necessarily WA members, who travel as a 'fleet' or individual "ships" around NationStates as a PR tool (or activated as a fighting force).

The benefit of this idea is that nations who are developing influence with their WA nations could momentarily switch over to their naval 'fighting nations' and then revert back to their original nation (and re-tart up to their previous level) without denting their normal nation's influence level too much.

I'll only support this if I am allowed to wear a Japanese school-girl style Sailor fuku.

tumblr_mlr6wtRazy1rk5dgco4_500.jpg

Blue Wolf II:
I'll only support this if I am allowed to wear a Japanese school-girl style Sailor fuku.

tumblr_mlr6wtRazy1rk5dgco4_500.jpg
Only if all of the Military Cabinet has to wear it. You, General er I guess it would be Admiral Gladio and the Chief of Staff Corporal Petty Officer 1st class or CPO (Chief Petty Officer) not sure how the ranks would restructure Abacathea

Blue Wolf II, you may wear whatever the Minister for Defence, the Minister of Defense or the Minister of Defence mandates within the internal policies and procedures of the military arm of The North Pacific by whatever name it is called. ("What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.")

McMasterdonia, the Bill of Rights guarantees you the right to speak freely with anyone in The North Pacific, including the military. And you are still the Delegate (as of the timestamp of this post) so you may have their attention. I am confident that, regardless, their members will make their opinions known. I'll re-iterate that the bill only changes the name; any other changes are at the discretion of the Delegate and the Minister for Defence, the Minister of Defense or the Minister of Defence; and are internal matters of the military arm.

PaulWallLibertarian42 and Romanoffia, I considered and rejected a multi-branch military arm as too difficult to implement. As far as I'm concerned the present set-up is adequate; my only desire is to address the mismatch between a maritime region and a ground-based military arm. Since it is beyond our mutual ability to change the name of the region, I have instead proposed changing the name of the military arm. This being The North Pacific, I expect the idea to be rejected due to inertia, obstinacy, nostalgia and insensibility. The Cat will be highly amused if that is indeed the case, so this is a personal win-win situation.

Democratic Donkeys, cat paws are very dexterous. We've got another proposed bill ready for introduction into the hopper. You may hazard a guess as to what sort of minor error we may seek to correct next. ;)

Punk D, understood. Your point was well argued. Very well. Carry on.

>^,,^<
Alunya

I would fully support this move. The North Pacific Navy would be free to build its own tradition and make a clean break from what the NPA stood for in the past.

Also, there are a lot more good navy songs than army ones.

flemingovia:
I would fully support this move. The North Pacific Navy would be free to build its own tradition and make a clean break from what the NPA stood for in the past.

Also, there are a lot more good navy songs than army ones.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLgX-VRwKWE[/video]

Current ranks:

Enlisted:

Private

Lance Corporal

Corporal

Sergeant

Color sergeant

Officer:

Warrant officer 2

Warrant officer 1

Lt.

Capt.

Major

Lt. Colonel

Colonel

Lt. General

Brig. General

Major- General

Lt. General

General

Proposed naval equivalent:

Enlisted:

Seaman
sn-patch.gif

Petty Officer 2nd class
bm2rate.gif

Petty Officer 1st class
bm1rate.gif

Chief Petty Officer
qmc-rate.gif

Senior Chief Petty Officer
qmcsrate.gif

Master Chief Petty Officer*
Reserved for Command Staff/Chief of Staff
mcpon.gif

Officer:

Ensign (Will cover WO2)
ensclr.gif

Lieutenant Junior Grade (JG) (cover WO1)
ltjgclr.gif

Lieutenant
lt-col.gif

Lieutenant Commander
lcdrclr.gif

Commander
cdr-clr.gif

Captain
captclr.gif

Rear Admiral -Lower
radmlclr.gif

Rear Admiral - Upper
radm-clr.gif

Vice Admiral
vadm-clr.gif

Admiral
adm-clr.gif

Minister of Defense/ Fleet Admiral of NPN
fadm-clr.gif

Right, cause what we need is eighty billion ranks. :P

...If we have that many currently, good god. What are we thinking?

Oh, she's got a lovely naval uniform
Oh, she's got a lovely naval uniform
Oh, she's got a lovely naval
Oh, she's got a lovely naval
Got a lovely naval uniform

I'm sorry but at some point we need to show respect for our history and traditions. The NPA is an honored body and tradition of TNP, amd if you want a navy then create a separate body. But I will not support such a disrepectful insult to TNP history.

SillyString:
Right, cause what we need is eighty billion ranks. :P

...If we have that many currently, good god. What are we thinking?
Silly, I pretty much took what is already there and just translated them into Navy Rank.

There is like 5 current enlisted ranks and 12 or 13 officer ranks

I'll admit that the ranking system probably needs an overhaul.

Not necessarily because there are too many ranks but because a rank does not actually represent the power / activity of a given officer. Anyway, that's a discussion for the NPA to have.

As for changing the name, I wouldn't approve such a change. Thank you for suggesting it anyway Alunya, it was a good suggestion :)

Recruitment video for The North Pacific Navy.......

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sljSf7KVlQ[/flash]

It might be neat to have different branches of the TNP military. To instill cooperation, mutual aid and inter-branch rivalry and competition. Maybe we can start a Navy and have a NPA vs NPN football game! That would entail needing more than 12 active members though! So those who want to stay army can and those who champion the navy can do that. And we can have like a joint-strike Army/Navy quick reaction force that goes out and does stuff. Anything that boosts military presence im for. If that means getting more people involved by making a seperate branch but still under MOD command. Im for it.

Grosseschnauzer:
I'm sorry but at some point we need to show respect for our history and traditions. The NPA is an honored body and tradition of TNP, amd if you want a navy then create a separate body. But I will not support such a disrepectful insult to TNP history.
tumblr_l7l5n3pQlH1qd9agqo1_250.gif

TRADITION!

Blue Wolf II:
Grosseschnauzer:
tumblr_l7l5n3pQlH1qd9agqo1_250.gif

TRADITION!
AS IS TRADITION!....

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UcZsM5PDJQ[/video]

Back