Russia/Ukraine Situation

Tiberius

TNPer
I am pretty surprised nobody has mentioned this in the Current Events section. This is pretty big all things considered. I'd like to see how people feel about the entire thing. For those who have not heard: Russia has occupied parts of Crimea after the ousting of a pro-Russian Ukrainian president and are attempting to annex that part of the country on account of their Russian ancestry.

Alexandros Rex:
I am pretty surprised nobody has mentioned this in the Current Events section. This is pretty big all things considered. I'd like to see how people feel about the entire thing. For those who have not heard: Russia has occupied parts of Crimea after the ousting of a pro-Russian Ukrainian president and are attempting to annex that part of the country on account of their Russian ancestry.
I was just pondering the same point (that the Russia-Ukraine issue hasn't even been brought up here).

My brief analysis of the whole situation:

One one side we have President Obama playing the role of an even more inept version of Neville Chamberlain - Obama and the West have gone beyond appeasement and slid over the line into meaningless and inept actions, or rather a complete display of inaction and meaningless whining.

On the other side, we have Putin playing the perfect Von Ribbentrop in a 1936 Germany sort of way that directly mirrors the partitioning of Czechoslovakia.

Obama thinks that because this is the 21st Century, the world of diplomacy and war have somehow magically changed. Putin is playing by 19th Century Realpolitik and running rings around Obama. It's the Chicago 'Community Organizer' vs. The Former KGB agent. Guess who wins that bout.

Like Ribbentrop and Nazi Germany in the 1930's, Putin and his Foreign Minister are looking to partition Ukraine into even smaller 'autonomous' units this turning Ukraine back into a Russian client state.

Putin is trying to re-assemble the old Soviet empire and will go for the Baltic States, Poland and everything else controlled by the Soviets if he is allowed to have free rein.

Obama just wants to wave a blank sheet of paper in the air and pronounce, "Peace in our time". We've seen this movie before and it doesn't turn out well.

Had Obama not personally blocked the admission of Ukraine to NATO, this would have never happened.

What should be done to stop Putin and Russia in its tracks:

The Ukrainian military should position itself to destroy all of the gas and petroleum lines through the Ukraine if Russia invades. The simple threat of this and the will to carry such an action out would stop Russia in its tracks simply because enough damage to the gas/petroleum lines would take years to repair and would deny Russia of enough income that it would bankrupt Russia in a month.

Ukraine should immediately be admitted to NATO which means that if Russia invades, Russia severely runs the risk of instant war as a mechanical action should it invade.

The missile shield that Obama killed should be put in place ASAP.

Freeze all of Russia's assets in US and European banks until they pull out of the Crimea.

Embargo all trade with Russia including the millions of tons of grain we ship them from the US every year. Starve them out literally and economically to the point that even if they decide to invade western Europe, they can't feed or pay their army. Shamble their economy.

And to further strain the Russian resources and economy, you shut down the water supply canal and gas lines from the Ukraine leading to The Crimea and force the Russians to supply Crimea with everything or starve.

Have the US Supply Europe with enough natural gas and petroleum (after all, the US Exports more oil and gas than it consumes) so that if the Russians try to cut off gas and petroleum to Europe it won't matter.

Sink a few ship hulks in the Bosphorus and totally bottle up the Black Sea and render a Russian warm water port a moot point.

The economic strain and resulting chaos would result in such internal unrest and chaos in Russia that in six weeks time, Putin would have an Yekaterinburg moment*.

IOW, give Putin a dose of Realpolitik that will make his arse bleed for years. Putin is using plays from the 19th Century play book - which means we have a perfect opportunity to do what should have been done the first time around. :P

* Waits to see if anyone gets this historical reference. :P

The Ukrainian military should position itself to destroy all of the gas and petroleum lines through the Ukraine if Russia invades. The simple threat of this and the will to carry such an action out would stop Russia in its tracks simply because enough damage to the gas/petroleum lines would take years to repair and would deny Russia of enough income that it would bankrupt Russia in a month.

Any idea of the environmental damage that would do? Remember the oil fields of Iraq? This would be worse.

Have the US Supply Europe with enough natural gas and petroleum (after all, the US Exports more oil and gas than it consumes) so that if the Russians try to cut off gas and petroleum to Europe it won't matter.

Won't matter?

We British got a taste of American generosity and support in WW2. We finished paying off the debt in 2006. Not only the interest but also the terms demanded (especially the convertability of sterling) damn near broke us.

Or perhaps America would like to revive the "destroyers for bases" scheme, where you grab our land in return for the oil and gas?

I think I would rather take my chances with Russia than have to be beholden to America. Somehow that never turns out well for us.

Heh. Sorry Roman. I did not notice the date stamp on your post. Good April Fool. You actually had me believing you were suggesting blowing up the Ukranian oil and gas lines and buying all our fuel from America.

Good one. Caught me.

flemingovia:
Won't matter?

We British got a taste of American generosity and support in WW2. We finished paying off the debt in 2006. Not only the interest but also the terms demanded (especially the convertability of sterling) damn near broke us.

Or perhaps America would like to revive the "destroyers for bases" scheme, where you grab our land in return for the oil and gas?
If I recall my history correctly, the Lend-Lease program helped, quite a bit, in England repelling German efforts to bomb the UK to hell and back again and helped the UK win the Battle of the Atlantic. Many American merchant marines even died providing that aid too.

As far as land grabs, I will note that the USA has many bases in Europe, such as Ramstein Air Base and Camp Bondsteel, but all of "our" bases in the UK have the curious title of RAF before it's name. As in Royal Air Force.

Two posts to Godwin, nice.

The leadership of the US is weak diplomatically. There is a reason Putin didn't do this sort of thing in 2008 when he told Bush that he didn't consider Ukraine to be a country.

While I do not support either political party (registered unaffiliated) it seems clear that Obama is very quick to draw red lines but even quicker with his eraser. For good or ill, the US doesn't have the political backbone to support the rhetoric because the leadership has taken on a defeatist attitude in regards to Iraq and Afghanistan and has therefore followed up every other military threat half-heartedly.

Do you believe that the mindset the majority of the American people have towards war would influence this halfhearted attempt to prevent Russia from their actions? Perhaps a more devastating event must occur in order to stimulate the American public to support such full fisted sanctions.

I believe it's important that it be stressed that sovereign rights of countries be respected. If the United States or even the United Nations is unwilling to do anything to seriously protect that then I imagine we are in for an interesting ride.

Russia is always into something. I normally defend Obama, but it's true America is not playing the same international "World Power" game at the moment. If you ask me, America is better off letting this slip. This and the Muslim world. Those two games are less rewarding than, let's say, focus in Latin America, Europe and BRICS as allies, friends and consumers

In Eastern Europe, Russians normally get what they want (an exception could be Kosovo, but it wasn't so important either...) "Ethnic Russians" gain political and economical weight, backed by Russian military and entire communities secede or revolt when times are hard in their post-soviet countries.

On the other hand, Crimea was historically Russian, Crimean people consider themselves mostly Russians and they voted so in referendum. My democratic self, that part of me that thinks of a referendum for my country in the future, cannot ignore the will of the people. But Russians can certainly ignore it in Kosovo, Cechnya...

flemingovia:
Heh. Sorry Roman. I did not notice the date stamp on your post. Good April Fool. You actually had me believing you were suggesting blowing up the Ukranian oil and gas lines and buying all our fuel from America.

Good one. Caught me.

No, I was not kidding. You can cut the gas lines and water lines without a tit of damage to the environment. Oddly enough, you failed to consider the environmental damages a Russian invasion of Ukraine would produce, but that is besides the point.

Also, if you have noticed the news recently, the Russians pulled back their 180,000 troops on Ukraine's border the instant the Ukrainians threated to take out all the gas lines to Europe and Crimea. Worked like a charm.

And secondly, war is not supposed to be environmentally friendly. The purpose of war is to kill people and break things and otherwise remove one's opponent's desire and will to engage in or continue a war. Destroying crap to deny it to an invader is a very effective tactic. Just ask the Russians who did it against everyone who tried to invade them. Environment, environschment.

Gracius Maximus:
Two posts to Godwin, nice.

The leadership of the US is weak diplomatically. There is a reason Putin didn't do this sort of thing in 2008 when he told Bush that he didn't consider Ukraine to be a country.

While I do not support either political party (registered unaffiliated) it seems clear that Obama is very quick to draw red lines but even quicker with his eraser. For good or ill, the US doesn't have the political backbone to support the rhetoric because the leadership has taken on a defeatist attitude in regards to Iraq and Afghanistan and has therefore followed up every other military threat half-heartedly.

Right on spot! :clap:

Who cares its a distraction. Go listen to infowars heh.

Half of Ukraine wants to be in the EU let them. Other half wants to be with Russia let them.

I dont think Russia is the bad guy here. Crimea actually has voted to be part of Russia and Russia needs Crimea to have naval access. Not to mention Kiev was politically couped there were leaked telephone converstations with members of the US state department listing who they wanted to take over and head the government in Kiev, then lo' and behold that is who got put in to replace the former government.

I dont have TV I got tired of it. Its stupid and rots your brain mainstream news is propaganda central. So I havent followed closely what is going on. So whatever. I am just a crackpot tin foil hat libertarian who occassionally tunes into see what Alex Jones and Glen Beck and Tom Woods and Ron and Rand Paul has to say. I get most of my "news" from the internet, facebook, and RT. So more than likely I don't know what I am talking about.

PaulWallLibertarian42:

Half of Ukraine wants to be in the EU let them. Other half wants to be with Russia let them.

I dont think Russia is the bad guy here. Crimea actually has voted to be part of Russia and Russia needs Crimea to have naval access. Not to mention Kiev was politically couped there were leaked telephone converstations with members of the US state department listing who they wanted to take over and head the government in Kiev, then lo' and behold that is who got put in to replace the former government.

I dont have TV I got tired of it. Its stupid and rots your brain mainstream news is propaganda central. So I havent followed closely what is going on. So whatever. I am just a crackpot tin foil hat libertarian who occassionally tunes into see what Alex Jones and Glen Beck and Tom Woods and Ron and Rand Paul has to say. I get most of my "news" from the internet, facebook, and RT. So more than likely I don't know what I am talking about.
“News is something somebody doesn't want printed; all else is advertising." ------- George Orwell

I think it's interesting that Putin said he only wanted the Crimea because of the Russians that lived there. Adolf Hitler said the same thing when he went into Austria, saying he only wanted the German part of Austria. We all know how that escalated.

Plus the U.S. military is the smallest it has been since pre-WWII. I don't trust Putin and I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to make all of Ukraine under Russia again. Hitler wanted Germany to be a super power again and I think Putin wants Russia to be a super power again as well.

Russia is a super power. I forget where exactly they are on military spending per capita but I'm fairly certain it's #2 or #3.

Russia can have her cake, but whether it can eat it too? Ehh... maybe. Think of all the amazing things the West can do to take back Crimea for Ukraine.

Hmm...

Lord Ravenclaw:
Russia is a super power. I forget where exactly they are on military spending per capita but I'm fairly certain it's #2 or #3.
Russia is #25 in military spending per capita.

They are however, #3 in overall military spending. They spend approximately 13% of what the USA does per year.

As a percent of GDP, they are tied with the US at 4.4%, which also indicates the real difference between the two if you cross reference the above 13% with this figure.

Ah yes, thanks for that clarification GM, it seems I had gotten a few terms mixed up. :)

Lord Ravenclaw:
Ah yes, thanks for that clarification GM, it seems I had gotten a few terms mixed up. :)
No worries.

I believe part of the issue is that in reality, Russia isn't a 'superpower' any longer. They have been long eclipsed by the US and China, India and others have pushed ahead of them economically and militarily.

Putin wants Russia to be the center of attention again and to be the big kid on the block and this is really his only avenue to achieve that at this point.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Man, Fick infowars.

Alex Jones is a straight up con artist who published conspiracy theories and claims they're "news". His coverage of the Boston Marathon Bombings last year and his immediate declaration that the whole thing was a "false flag operation" carried out by the government was one of the most retarded and insulting things I have ever heard.

Edit: Swearing in German is cooler and apparently more acceptable.

flemingovia:
Won't matter?

I think I would rather take my chances with Russia than have to be beholden to America. Somehow that never turns out well for us.
Perhaps you would have preferred that you learned German instead?

And as for taking your chances with Russia? That has to be one of the most idiotic ideas I have ever heard anyone say, ever.

You know, since everyone hates the US and its money and the blood we've shed saving the world from people like Hitler, Mussolini and a parade of blood thirsty thugs in the Soviet Union, I think the US should just withdraw it's military, political and economic support.

Now imagine what would happen if every nation in Europe suddenly had to defend itself - they would go bust in zero seconds flat because they couldn't afford to defend themselves from the likes of, yes, the Russians who, in fact and in history have had no other goal than the oppression and exploitation of others.

I'll tell you what the real problem with us Yanks is: it's that we are a bunch of altruistic dumbasses who are all too willing to send our soldiers and sailors into someone else's meat-grinder to prop up crumbling monarchies and socialsitic leach-states.

We Americans have failed to understand that the more we give, the more which is demanded of us. And in the process of spending our wealth and blood to this end, we subject ourselves to all manner of insults, abuses and disrespect at the hands of the very people whose asses we saved, not only for our 'altruism' but also for our very virtues which we have stupidly based upon 'altruism'.

One day, when the US realizes that all of its self-inflicted loss, self-inflicted pain and crippling ethics of incomprehensible duty are nothing but a load of crap, then the US (Uncle Sugar) will finally turn off the tap of 'altruistic' foreign aid, economic aid, military aid and all that rat-hole crap. And then the very people who damn the US will suddenly realize how much they needed and depended upon us Yank idiots who are all too willing to bail out those who otherwise would have ended up speaking German or Russian (and that's if they didn't end up in Auschwitz or some Siberian Gulag).

In short terms, I thing you perhaps might be better off taking your chances with Russia than with the US. Why? Because the US have become literally evil due to its acceptance of 'altruism' of self sacrifice as a morality and an ethic. The Russians have no such altruism. The Russians are for Russia and for Putin's bank accounts and the bank accounts of his cronies. The Russians shall show you no such altruism. They will exploit you until you can no longer be exploited and then you will end up like so many other victims of totalitarian regimes when you no long serve the purpose of benefiting the goals of a real imperial state like Russia. :P

I think Flem was talking specifically about energy, mate. I don't think anyone in Britain trusts them Ruskies more than Yanks xD

Lennart:
I think Flem was talking specifically about energy, mate. I don't think anyone in Britain trusts them Ruskies more than Yanks xD
I know that, but it's occasionally fun to torment Flem. :P

Actually, you shouldn't trust the Russians for energy considering the fact that they just jacked up the price of natural gas to the Ukraine by nearly 50%.

We Americans are just idiots - we actually produce and export more oil than we consume. Now, if those idiots we call our government would suddenly realize that we could go to zero oil imports, we could tell the Arabs to sod off and then Europe could have all the oil they wanted from OPEC (which I wouldn't trust any more than the Russians). :P

Well, at least the OPEC is a group of different countries in different geopolitical areas making decisions together, while Russians are a block with an army; a predictable series of complaints and shameless blackmail any time the crap hits the fan in their former satellite states. Which is pretty much all the time.

I agree 100% with everything Gracius Maximus has said in this thread. It'll be interesting to see how the next President will respond if Putin decides to continue to expand.

mcmasterdonia:
I agree 100% with everything Gracius Maximus has said in this thread. It'll be interesting to see how the next President will respond if Putin decides to continue to expand.
How much can he/she do though? With the way the US-Russian relations are historically (missiles and what-not) how can we attempt a resolution in Ukraine's favor? I'm not sure this is going to end well...

I don't think they will have the same success as Crimea, but I could see Russia "intervening" on behalf of the Russian ethnicity when Ukraine goes in to crack down. I think you'll suddenly see Russia become very concerned about human rights, if only in Donetsk.

Blue Wolf II:
PaulWallLibertarian42:
Man, xxxx infowars.

Alex Jones is a straight up con artist who published conspiracy theories and claims they're "news". His coverage of the Boston Marathon Bombings last year and his immediate declaration that the whole thing was a "false flag operation" carried out by the government was one of the most retarded and insulting things I have ever heard.
Please tone down a certain word in your post as it has been reported to the moderation team.

There have been similar complaints about others using the same word, so you are not being picked on.

The moderation team thanks you.

Unfortunately, I can't see the recent action taken by the moron that is Putin as a spontaneous land grab, I have a niggling that there is some long term plan intrinsically linked to the old USSR in relation to land. Whether it will prove successful is another matter, and I hope that the west as a whole will not take up a policy of appeasement as seen with 'old' Germany in the past...

Romanoffia:
flemingovia:
Won't matter?

And as for taking your chances with Russia? That has to be one of the most idiotic ideas I have ever heard anyone say, ever.

You know, since everyone hates the US and its money and the blood we've shed saving the world from people like Hitler, Mussolini and a parade of blood thirsty thugs in the Soviet Union, I think the US should just withdraw it's military, political and economic support.

Now imagine what would happen if every nation in Europe suddenly had to defend itself - they would go bust in zero seconds flat because they couldn't afford to defend themselves from the likes of, yes, the Russians who, in fact and in history have had no other goal than the oppression and exploitation of others.

I'll tell you what the real problem with us Yanks is: it's that we are a bunch of altruistic dumbasses who are all too willing to send our soldiers and sailors into someone else's meat-grinder to prop up crumbling monarchies and socialsitic leach-states.

We Americans have failed to understand that the more we give, the more which is demanded of us. And in the process of spending our wealth and blood to this end, we subject ourselves to all manner of insults, abuses and disrespect at the hands of the very people whose asses we saved, not only for our 'altruism' but also for our very virtues which we have stupidly based upon 'altruism'.

One day, when the US realizes that all of its self-inflicted loss, self-inflicted pain and crippling ethics of incomprehensible duty are nothing but a load of crap, then the US (Uncle Sugar) will finally turn off the tap of 'altruistic' foreign aid, economic aid, military aid and all that rat-hole crap. And then the very people who damn the US will suddenly realize how much they needed and depended upon us Yank idiots who are all too willing to bail out those who otherwise would have ended up speaking German or Russian (and that's if they didn't end up in Auschwitz or some Siberian Gulag).

In short terms, I thing you perhaps might be better off taking your chances with Russia than with the US. Why? Because the US have become literally evil due to its acceptance of 'altruism' of self sacrifice as a morality and an ethic. The Russians have no such altruism. The Russians are for Russia and for Putin's bank accounts and the bank accounts of his cronies. The Russians shall show you no such altruism. They will exploit you until you can no longer be exploited and then you will end up like so many other victims of totalitarian regimes when you no long serve the purpose of benefiting the goals of a real imperial state like Russia. :P
Yes yes yes, America is the land of the slaves free and home of the brave, democratic capital of the world and the last bastion of free thought.

However. Historically speaking Flemingovia has a point, although America likes to think that it acts selflessly for the good cause, it never actually does so. America used the two world wars to remove Britain as the foremost power on the globe, and make us dependent on its military might.

You forget that until the dawn of the 'American century' it was Europe that was the most powerful, the most advanced, the most free.

But don't ever delude yourself into thinking that the US acts altruistically. If there isn't some ulterior benefit for the States, it doesn't get involved. The one thing that is most likely to set a European's teeth on edge is an American shouting about how 'good' America is, or how altruistic. We don't mind you being the foremost power, we really don't. We don't mind having to go along with you guys because you're top dog right now. What we do mind is you trying to pretend to be morally better- just like every other country you act solely in your best interests, which is perfectly fine. But for gods sake stop trying to tell me that its not what you do.

Rhodon:
Romanoffia:
flemingovia:
Won't matter?

Yes yes yes, America is the land of the slaves free and home of the brave, democratic capital of the world and the last bastion of free thought.

However. Historically speaking Flemingovia has a point, although America likes to think that it acts selflessly for the good cause, it never actually does so. America used the two world wars to remove Britain as the foremost power on the globe, and make us dependent on its military might.

You forget that until the dawn of the 'American century' it was Europe that was the most powerful, the most advanced, the most free.

But don't ever delude yourself into thinking that the US acts altruistically. If there isn't some ulterior benefit for the States, it doesn't get involved. The one thing that is most likely to set a European's teeth on edge is an American shouting about how 'good' America is, or how altruistic. We don't mind you being the foremost power, we really don't. We don't mind having to go along with you guys because you're top dog right now. What we do mind is you trying to pretend to be morally better- just like every other country you act solely in your best interests, which is perfectly fine. But for gods sake stop trying to tell me that its not what you do.
:agree: :agree:

Rhodon:
Romanoffia:
flemingovia:
Won't matter?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rhodon:
Romanoffia:
flemingovia:
Won't matter?

:tb2:

I'd still count more on America than Europe if Russia does something against my country (Poland). I think EU is too divided to unite enough and act as one. But I know Americans usually calculate their own benefits so I'm not certain they'd help in reality at all.

Poland is a NATO member. Russia would never dare to wage war against it as the aggressor, by the terms of NATO, if one member is attacked unprovoked by any nation, every single NATO member nation must declare war upon the attacker. Russia would never provoke the wrath of 28 nations spanning three continents just to go after Poland.

It's far more likely that Russia will start trying to bring the Commonwealth of Independent States nations, of which Ukraine was affiliated and Moldova an actual member, closer into the fold, either by force or by political action. After all, the CIS states are largely dependent on Russia for the majority of their protection, should they be invaded. They'd be easy prey.

Back