Injunction to Halt Elections

Mall

TNPer
I am seeking to file an injunction against the Election Commissioners from performing the act which they have announced here. They have decided to restart the Vice Delegate election process while continuing the election process for the Speaker and Delegate position. As I am running for the Delegate position, I am an affected party.

Argument:
This action is in direct violation of my rights as a TNP Citizen per the Bill of Rights, namely the sections listed immediately below.
9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.

10. Each Nation entitled to a vote in any manner under the fundamental laws of the region is entitled to the equal treatment and protection of that Nation's right to vote.

Regarding the 9th clause in the BoR, the actions taken during this election are neither transparent, having prior notice, equal, nor fair. How can an election for two offices as closely linked as the Delegate and VD position be so disrupted while maintaining a fair and equal standing towards those involved? Multiple votes of protest were cast during this election in the VD section, and it is entirely reasonable to believe that there were other protest votes cast as well. By restarting only the VD elections, the election commission has failed to treat my candidacy as equally as the other affected parties in the VD election.

Furthermore, I have voted in accordance with TNP law as determined by this Court, yet my vote has been discounted. There have been many votes in the VD election already, and all of them are now discounted. There is a grave potential that voters who, having cast their ballot already, will be unaware that such an action was taken due to the lack of prior warning, a Right guaranteed in the BoR. As such, the VD election must also be restarted, with reasonable prior warning given to the region regarding the start of the elections.

Finally, a section from the Legal Code:
9. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will be elected by the Regional Assembly by a majority vote every four months. No person shall be elected Delegate to a full or partial term in three consecutive election cycles.
Here it is shown that the intent of the Legal Code is to have the election run jointly, so as to provide a more stable campaign atmosphere and to allow for candidates to cooperate and run joint campaigns. By failing to restart both elections, those who are in charge of such matters have done TNP a grave injustice.

The elections must be entirely restarted, unless the Court can find a different interpretation of what seem to be fairly clear laws and rights.

I understand the pressure that is placed upon this Court, and naturally all those who bring requests believe theirs to be the most urgent. I ask that the Court order a halt to the current election cycle until they can reach a comprehensive ruling on this matter. I thank you for your time.

Edit: To clarify, I am asking the Court to review the following:
  • Whether my right to equal protection has been violated,
  • Whether my right to prior notice regarding the changes in the election have been violated,
  • Whether my right to vote has been infringed upon when my VD vote was discounted,
  • Whether the EC has acted against the Legal Code by restarting the VD election while not restarting the other elections.

PD EDIT: Added Subtitle

The Court will consider this matter over the following hours - including the request to halt elections.

I appreciate your understanding that the court has a -lot- to deal with right now and wishes to give each matter an appropriate amount of thought and consideration.

As a small piece of evidence regarding the "no prior warning" section of my claim, I would like to submit the following quote.
Great Bights Mum:
I have observed members continuing to vote for Vice-Delegate in the initial thread. I think people might be confused, and maybe don't realize they have to vote in the new thread.

Source.

I made that statement prior to the EC's correction of the ballot in the initial thread. Things seem to be humming along just fine now.

For what it is worth, the News Box was immediately edited to clearly inform people of the voting situation when the Vice Delegate ballot was (re)started.

A mass PM to all RA members concerning the matter should also be conducted. We know how many people don't look at all the relevant threads let alone the news box.

This request is not outright denied, however I request that Mall file a request in which it is more clear what we're actually being asked to review, so we can address it appropriately. I'd rather not be attempting to guess exactly what you're asking and on what basis, because that won't -ever- end well...

(I have a vague idea, but the Court can't rule based on a general idea of what's being asked.)

Abbey Anumia:
This request is not outright denied, however I request that Mall file a request in which it is more clear what we're actually being asked to review, so we can address it appropriately. I'd rather not be attempting to guess exactly what you're asking and on what basis, because that won't -ever- end well...

(I have a vague idea, but the Court can't rule based on a general idea of what's being asked.)
While I am sure that the Court would have guessed correctly in its wisdom, I have edited my initial request to include a succinct list of my requests. Thank you for your time.

This review is accepted and will be considered immediately by the Justices as a matter of urgency.

I apologise for the delay and unorthodoxy in this, but RL sucks.

Abbey Anumia:
This review is accepted and will be considered immediately by the Justices as a matter of urgency.

I apologise for the delay and unorthodoxy in this, but RL sucks.
RL of course takes priority over NS, but I thank the Court for accepting this review and recognizing its urgency.

I'm going to follow suit of SCOTUS in RL and just throw out a few questions. If you submit a brief, I may ask you questions on that brief, or I may ask you general questions about the review itself as a whole. So I hope you all don't mind.

In that vein, Mall, can I ask where you feel the Court has the power to (a) halt, (b) overturn and/or (c) restart elections? Just on your own interpretation of the sources of law available.

Sanctaria:
I'm going to follow suit of SCOTUS in RL and just throw out a few questions. If you submit a brief, I may ask you questions on that brief, or I may ask you general questions about the review itself as a whole. So I hope you all don't mind.

In that vein, Mall, can I ask where you feel the Court has the power to (a) halt, (b) overturn and/or (c) restart elections? Just on your own interpretation of the sources of law available.
Certainly.

The Constitution clearly states the following
Article 4. The Court

1. The Court will try all criminal and civil cases, resolve conflicts or ambiguities in the law, and review the constitutionality of laws or legality of government policies by request of an affected party.
4. The official opinion of the Court in any trial or review will be binding on all Government bodies and officials.

Furthermore relevant precedent can be found here.
The Court believes that in such cases where a timetable for elections is present when a violation of the Bill of Rights or Constitution is found in order to keep the legitimacy of the election the timetable must be altered as not doing so would in itself be a violation of the Bill of Rights.

More relevant precedent regarding the Court's ability to review and overturn the actions taken by other sections of the Government can be found here.
The Court has been specifically charged with reviewing government policies, and no reason has been given in support of the assertion that this Court cannot review other the policies and actions of other elements of the government, upon request. The Courts are granted this power to provide a balance against abuses of power, and to provide recourse to allow citizens to have their grievances addressed by a neutral party.

And so as to further support my initial set of claims, from the previous ruling:
The Court must try, wherever possible, to act in accordance with precedent, so long as that precedent does not conflict with new law, or the fundamental principles of justice established by the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

I'm aware of how the Court has previously ruled, but I'm asking you where in the current laws on the book you think it says the Court has the powers I've asked about.

For example, there no longer exists a timetable for the Delegate election as the election period has ended. Do you believe the Court has the power to overturn those election results and demand a new election be held? If so, where do you find the Court to have this power?

Sanctaria:
I'm aware of how the Court has previously ruled, but I'm asking you where in the current laws on the book you think it says the Court has the powers I've asked about.

For example, there no longer exists a timetable for the Delegate election as the election period has ended. Do you believe the Court has the power to overturn those election results and demand a new election be held? If so, where do you find the Court to have this power?
I do believe so.
1. The Court will try all criminal and civil cases, resolve conflicts or ambiguities in the law, and review the constitutionality of laws or legality of government policies by request of an affected party.
4. The official opinion of the Court in any trial or review will be binding on all Government bodies and officials.

The Court is being asked to review the legality of the policy of the Election Commission, as outlined in the original post at the beginning of this thread. As such, the first clause is applicable. Furthermore the Court's decision on this matter is binding, as per the fourth clause. Ergo if the Court determines that the election was unconstitutional, the Court can thus declare the results of the election to be invalid as they do not conform with the laws of the region. Previous precedent (which is binding per the Court's ruling) has dictated that the Court is capable of ordering a restart to elections, meaning the Court has the ability to complete the final part of my request.

Does this satisfactorily answer the question posed by the Court?

Thank you.

Can you tell me why you think your vote, among others, for Vice-Delegate was miscounted? Was there a reason given?

Sanctaria:
Thank you.

Can you tell me why you think your vote, among others, for Vice-Delegate was miscounted? Was there a reason given?
My vote, among others was discarded. The explanation is found here. It was discounted because the EC believed that the best way to go about "fixing" the "problem" concerning Roman not being listed on the ballot was to restart the VD election.

Ok.

You're saying you were denied your right to vote, but it seems the Election Commission asked you to vote again. Do you see a difference in that? If you do I'm interested in hearing it.

Sanctaria:
Ok.

You're saying you were denied your right to vote, but it seems the Election Commission asked you to vote again. Do you see a difference in that? If you do I'm interested in hearing it.
In my original post I outlined in as much detail as I could the various problems with the situation. That is indeed one of the problems I indicate, if you would like me to reorganize my initial request into a different format I could do so.

Mall:
Sanctaria:
Ok.

In my original post I outlined in as much detail as I could the various problems with the situation. That is indeed one of the problems I indicate, if you would like me to reorganize my initial request into a different format I could do so.
The Bill of Rights demands your vote be treated the same as the vote of any other person. Were all other votes in the original Vice Delegate election discounted?

Sanctaria:
Mall:
Sanctaria:
Ok.

The Bill of Rights demands your vote be treated the same as the vote of any other person. Were all other votes in the original Vice Delegate election discounted?
All votes were discounted, although whether privately submitted votes were discounted is unknown to me.

Also this was done without sufficient prior warning. Or any prior warning really. This impacts more active forumgoers differently from the less active members of TNP.

Thank you.

I don't have any more questions on this brief, but I would like you to state again, clearly, your injuries and the remedies you'd like to see from this Court, should we rule in your favour.

Here is a list of the questions relating to the injustices perpetrated against myself and presumably others in TNP:
Mall:
  • Whether my right to equal protection has been violated,
  • Whether my right to prior notice regarding the changes in the election have been violated,
  • Whether my right to vote has been infringed upon when my VD vote was discounted,
  • Whether the EC has acted against the Legal Code by restarting the VD election while not restarting the other elections.

The remedy that seems appropriate would be to restart the voting in all fields, which the Court clearly has the right to do as outlined above by declaring the election results to be invalid. Thank you.

I request Sanctaria recuse himself from these proceedings based on his comments on IRC. He clearly has a conflict of interest in this matter.

[18:44] <+Sanctaria> I think I'll probably have to recuse myself after saying this
[18:45] <+Sanctaria> but if the election was run properly
[18:45] <+Sanctaria> we wouldn't have reviews to deal with
[18:45] <+Sanctaria> Mr. Election Commissioner.

As a point of reference, as apparently there was some confusion over this last night: I dropped the ball on this, took far too long to decide if we were going to accept this (yay RL), and thus have been left in a situation where there is going to be no briefing period. Sorry. I thought my post was fairly clear as to that.

I also note Sanc's recusal, however the Court will just make a majority decision with myself and punk over the course of today. I thank the region for their patience.

Abbey Anumia:
As a point of reference, as apparently there was some confusion over this last night: I dropped the ball on this, took far too long to decide if we were going to accept this (yay RL), and thus have been left in a situation where there is going to be no briefing period. Sorry. I thought my post was fairly clear as to that.

I also note Sanc's recusal, however the Court will just make a majority decision with myself and punk over the course of today. I thank the region for their patience.

So you are refusing Sanc's recusal?

Eluvatar:
Abbey Anumia:

So you are refusing Sanc's recusal?
I believe the statement was that the two remaining Justices would make a joint decision, which would result in a majority Court ruling without Sanctaria.

Mall - I have a couple (or more) questions for you as well.

- What is a potential injurious outcome if the delegate (and Speaker) elections are not restarted by this court? You've advised that your vote was discounted. Are you able to vote again and has the EC provided a sufficient time to record votes?

- In your argument about your vote being 'discounted', are not the votes of those taken in the Speaker and Delegate elections then also 'discounted' if those elections are commenced anew?

- The last question leads me to the ultimate question which is, the election commissioners admitted an error in the nomination process and a candidate was unintentionally left off the ballot. How is restarting all elections in keeping with the bill of rights of those in the other two elections? Are you asking the court to also force the reopening of the nomination process as well since this is where the Election Commission made their self-admitted error?

First, I apologize for the length of this brief. I wished to be as inclusive as possible.

Per discussion last evening, and observation elsewhere, I contend that the election for Vice Delegate is invalid in its entirety because it was not managed via the legal processes provided for within the laws of The North Pacific.

Specifically, that the vote itself fell outside of the legally mandated election cycle and therefore would need to be handled via a Special Election and those legal procedures. Further, that the wording of the failure of the Election Commission to complete the election cycle within the mandated time period resulted in not only a de facto vacancy of the position but a disenfranchisement of those citizens that voted in the initial erroneous election.

Precedent:

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by King Durk the Awesome on Leaving a Candidates Name off the Ballot

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry filed here by King Durk the Awesome.

The Court took into consideration the Relevant section of the Legal Code of the North Pacific:

Quote:

Section 4.5: Special Elections
16. A special election will be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position.
17. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, will serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
18. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election will last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy is noticed.
19. Voting will begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed and last for five days, unless there is only one candidate for each vacancy in which case they will take office immediately.

The Court took into consideration the Relevant sections of the Bill of Rights of the North Pacific:

Bill of Rights

9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.

The Court opines the following:

It is the belief of the Court that the accidental omittance of a Candidate from the Ballot does in fact violate that Candidates Rights under Section 9 of the Bill of Rights. It is therefore ordered that the voting period for the Special Election of Vice Delegate is restarted immediately. The Court believes that in such cases where a timetable for elections is present when a violation of the Bill of Rights or Constitution is found in order to keep the legitimacy of the election the timetable must be altered as not doing so would in itself be a violation of the Bill of Rights.

The Court recognizes mcmasterdonia's immediate attempt to rectify the situation by adding the missing candidates name back to the ballot as soon as being made aware of the situation. The Court does appreciate when an official in the Government attempts to correct a mistake however this specific rectification was not enough to satisfy the Bill of Rights.

Ruling Delivered on 25 November 2012

Further, the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Legal Code jointly establish that the election cycle, by definition and function, are not malleable and must be adhered to by the Election Commission. Regardless of possible past errors by the EC in establishing these conditions, such errors do not eliminate the mandate of the law.

Also, the Court has ruled previously that prior Court rulings were inaccurate and in error, thus reversing precedent in favor of the printed law, making the written law superior to precedent action:

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Unibot on Clause 9 of the Bill of Rights
In review of the above the Court has determined the following:

The previous rulings of the Court of the North Pacific are inaccurate. The Courts ruling on Residency and Forum Administration as delivered on 6 August 2010 introduced a definition of "residency" in which no document including the Bill of Rights, Legal Code, or Constitution mentions. After a through review of all the aforementioned documents the Court has no choice but to overturn the previous ruling. The Court also reviewed its most recent decision on World Assembly Voting and has come to a conclusion it is slightly flawed. The Court introduced an incorrect definition of "Government Authorities" in this ruling.

Specifically, the Bill of Rights outlines the protections of the citizenry from erroneous actions of governmental agencies, notably 9 as mentioned in both above precedent postings, but also in to Articles 5, 10 and 11:

The Bill of Rights for all Nations of The North Pacific

5. All Nations of The North Pacific have the right to be protected against the abuse of powers by any official of a government authority of the region. Any Nation of The North Pacific has the right to request the recall of any official of a government authority of the region in accordance with the Constitution, that is deemed to have participated in such acts.

10. Each Nation entitled to a vote in any manner under the fundamental laws of the region is entitled to the equal treatment and protection of that Nation's right to vote.

11. No governmental authority of the region has the power to suspend or disregard the Constitution or the Legal Code. In the event of an actual emergency, the governmental authorities of the region, with the express consent of the Nations of the region or their representatives, is authorized to act in any reasonable manner that is consistent as practicable with the pertinent provisions of the Constitution.

Election law within the Legal Code also defines the election cycle, the rules by which a Special Election must be held and the timetables associated with such actions:

Codified Law of The North Pacific
Chapter 4: Election and Appointment Procedure

Section 4.2: Election Law Definitions
7. "Election Cycle" is defined as the period of time that begins on the first day on which nominations, or a declaration, of candidacy are made and concludes with the final declaration of results for an election. The dates for the Election Cycle will be designated at least 30 days in advance by the Delegate .
8. A "vacancy" in an office occurs when the holder of it resigns, is removed, or abandons it . An office is abandoned when its holder does not log onto the regional forums for two weeks without prior notice, or when an election winner or appointee fails to post the Oath of Office. Vacancies of elected offices are filled through a special election unless a it cannot be completed prior to the beginning of the appropriate scheduled election cycle. Pending an election, however, a vacancy may be temporarily filled as provided by the Constitution, this Legal Code, or a rule adopted by the appropriate body. Vacancies of appointed positions may be filled in accordance with proper appointment procedures.

Section 4.3: Overall Election Law
10. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy shall last for seven days.
11. Voting will begin three days after the period for nominations or declarations has closed and last for seven days.
12. If a run-off vote is required it will begin within two days of the first vote ending and it shall last for five days.

Section 4.4: General Elections
13. The election cycle for the terms of the Delegate and Vice Delegate, and of the Speaker, will begin on the first day of the months of January, May, and September.

Section 4.6: Special Elections
18. A special election will be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position.
19. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, will serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
20. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election will last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy is noticed.
21. Voting will begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed and last for five days, unless there is only one candidate for each vacancy in which case they will take office immediately.

The Election Cycle is defined and mandated in the written law. The rules for processing a Special Election defer to the election cycle, implying (if not stating directly) that such procedures must take place within those timed parameters.

The law also defines "vacancy" as an office that has had it's member removed, resigned or inactive. I contend that the election cycle removes the office holder by default because it is a legally mandated function with a specific timeframe. Once that time frame has passed then the office is vacant and by law any vacancies are filled via Special Election.

Regardless of the Court's opinion on this specific caveat, the precedent exists to invalidate the vote based upon the disenfranchisement of those that voted in the first election via Article 9 of the Bill of Rights. The citizens of The North Pacific expect the smooth transition of government via the careful and trusted handling of the voting process. That did not occur. It is certainly possible that nations were active on the first day of voting, cast their vote and then took leave or otherwise have not been able to return and process their vote in the new election. This violates their right to notification - the Delegate is required to provide 30 days notice for elections - and the candidates right to participate.

Thank you.

I would advise that the remaining Justices should probably appoint a THO in my place on this case, just to avoid any confusion on whether or not not doing so would be a violation of the Legal Code.

punk d:
Mall - I have a couple (or more) questions for you as well.

- What is a potential injurious outcome if the delegate (and Speaker) elections are not restarted by this court? You've advised that your vote was discounted. Are you able to vote again and has the EC provided a sufficient time to record votes?

- In your argument about your vote being 'discounted', are not the votes of those taken in the Speaker and Delegate elections then also 'discounted' if those elections are commenced anew?

- The last question leads me to the ultimate question which is, the election commissioners admitted an error in the nomination process and a candidate was unintentionally left off the ballot. How is restarting all elections in keeping with the bill of rights of those in the other two elections? Are you asking the court to also force the reopening of the nomination process as well since this is where the Election Commission made their self-admitted error?
I'll answer your questions in order for convenience.

• If the Delegate and Speaker elections are not restarted by the Court then the candidates therein will have been made to participate in a biased and obviously, pardon my nontechnical language, bungled, election. My vote was discounted, and while I am apparently able to vote again the EC has not provided both sufficient time and sufficient prior warning for these events for all of the voters, particularly those who may be unaware that their votes were discounted.
  • The votes would indeed be discounted, but if the election was properly restarted as a whole with sufficient prior warning then my rights, along with the rights of others, would not be infringed upon. (for evidence simply view my opening brief in which I outline the legal justification for my arguments)
  • Finally, the Court makes a strange statement regarding the EC making an error, when this Court already ruled that no such error in law had been made. I outlined in my opening post why the election process must be restarted for all elections, detailing the effects that the bungled VD election has had on the election as a whole. This includes the lodging of protest votes, namely when voters deliberately voted for candidates not recognized by the ballot or for absurd candidates. Whether the nomination process must also be restarted is doubtful since no error was actually made during this process. The laws and rights delegated to TNP citizens were violated during the voting phase.

I thank the Court for its time.

Thanks for your clarification, Mall. I chose ‘self-admitted’ error when referencing the EC’s decision to include Romanoffia on the VD ballot purposely as the court did rule that the wording was sufficiently clear for this court.

Your point about sufficient time still leaves me with a question however. Is the notice not sufficient because the length of the election is not long enough or is it not sufficient because voters were not provided notification except for the post made by the EC announcing a restart to the VD elections?

This is a critical issue as, if the Court directs the EC to restart the elections (not saying that it will or will not), I would not want someone to file a request and say “we weren’t given prior notice” for the same reasons you are stating for the delegate and Speaker elections.

In other words, the VD election was restarted and you have concerns over notice when all the notice that was given was a post by the EC and then a new voting thread. If the court rules that the delegate, vice delegate, and speaker elections should be ‘restarted’, then what would be the ‘notice’ differentiator in such a situation compared to the one you are asking the court to address?

I hope the question makes sense.

punk d:
Is the notice not sufficient because the length of the election is not long enough or is it not sufficient because voters were not provided notification except for the post made by the EC announcing a restart to the VD elections?

In other words, the VD election was restarted and you have concerns over notice when all the notice that was given was a post by the EC and then a new voting thread. If the court rules that the delegate, vice delegate, and speaker elections should be ‘restarted’, then what would be the ‘notice’ differentiator in such a situation compared to the one you are asking the court to address?
The notice is not sufficient because voters were not provided advanced notification prior to the restarting of the election period.

Your second question makes sense, as far as how much time is appropriate for a full restart I would consider a week to be ample time to alert the region to a full restart. Note that I am obviously not the final arbiter on that timeframe, if the Court wishes to set its own standard I am perfectly fine with that.

There have been many questions regarding the prior warning aspect of my argument, I hope this means that the other areas of my argument were clear for the Court. If not, I encourage the Court to ask for further explanation, I do not mind clarifying wherever necessary.

Abbey Anumia:

I point you to the Legal Code
Section 3.2: Appointment of Hearing Officers
8. If there is a vacancy on the Court, or any Justice is unavailable or has a conflict of interest the remaining Justices will promptly appoint a hearing officer to participate as temporary Justices.

It is pretty clear that you have to appoint a THO as Sanc has recused himself due to a potential Conflict of Interest.

Mall - your responses were clear and understood. My questions only reflected points that were unclear to me.

...sorry to reply late to your post earlier today.

It would appear that we are in process of finding a THO. Abbey had one, but that person had to recuse themself because they had a COI.

Back