Leave of Absence Requests

Discord
COE#7110
Leaves of Absence are a tool for active citizens to maintain continuous citizenship, even when temporary circumstances do not permit them to post for a while. While you are on a Leave of Absence, the requirement to post on the TNP forum will be waived. However, if your TNP nation leaves or ceases to exist, or your removal is ordered by the court, a Leave of Absence will not protect you from removal. Upon your expected date of return, all requirements of citizenship will apply as if you had just gained citizenship. So, for example, 30 days after your expected date of return, if you have still not posted on the TNP forum, your citizenship will be revoked.

To request a Leave of Absence, please fill out the form below and post it in this thread:
Code:
[b]Date leave begins:[/b]

[b]Expected date of return:[/b]

[b]Reason for request:[/b]
The Speaker is not bound by law to accept any application for a Leave of Absence, and may reject a LOA request due to short length or dubious reasoning. An approved LOA may also be terminated at any time. You are not required to post when your LOA is over - simply log in and resume your duties as usual. However, if you need to postpone your expected date of return, post again and fill out the form, effectively requesting a new Leave of Absence. Longer LOA applications will require more excellent reasoning.

Leaves of Absence
None

I will be afk from the 22nd to the 26th. I'm going on a retreat. Anyone trying to call will hear the firm yet serene voice of Sister Mary Clark saying, "I'm sorry, she's in seclusion." :D

Great Bights Mum:
I will be afk from the 22nd to the 26th. I'm going on a retreat. Anyone trying to call will hear the firm yet serene voice of Sister Mary Clark saying, "I'm sorry, she's in seclusion." :D
Approved.

Former English Colony:
I will need a leave of absence June 26 - July 17th. Going on a trip.
Since that's during the next term, I'm going to hold off on this one. I'm sure it'll be fine, but if you could post again after the elections are over, that would be good.

I am really busy RL right now and the time I have for NS will be dealing with TSP stuff.

So I am requesting a LoA for the next two weeks. Although I will attempt to keep up on what all is going on but there are no guarantees.

Expected Date of Return (GMT): May 15th, 2013.

Reason for Request: I am currently very busy in RL. I have already been almost completely inactive for the last 3 weeks, and I will continue so until I am done with a deadline on May 14th.

I have been, and continue to be on a extended leave of absence of indefinite duration due to medical and other concerns.
While some of the issues have been alleviated, not all of them have been, and with some annual RL responsibilities with a deadline, it is likely to be mid-July at the earliest before I have significant time for NS matters. (I have a similar extended leave back in 2005 that lasted for nine months).
However, if I am needed on a specific matter, please ask Eluvatar to contact me through gmail, or one of the other admin send me an email through the forums, and I will respond fairly quickly. (PMs I will see when I happen to check for them, although I haven't had any PMs in a while.)
I usually post an update on my status in the Forums Operations area so if anyone wants the latest, please look there.
Lieb is taking good care of me and I am in good hands.

Due to a mix of IRL duties and the ongoing farce in TSP, I'm requesting a leave of absence of indefinite length. If either TSP or IRL clears up I will probably be able to find some time for TNP, but I have no real idea when either of those things will occur.

Edit: Scrap that, can I have one for May and I'll reapply as needs be?

I'm going to stop considering absence requests shorter than 20 days unless the member is in immediate danger of removal from not voting. LoA's are there for members to maintain continuous membership during extended periods of absence. I'm going to proceed with that policy, unless anyone has a compelling reason not to.

Expected Date of Return (GMT): Early June

Reason for Request: I've got the last Quarter of school, and almost no time for Nationstates. I should have announced this earlier, probably, but since I don't know if I'll have the time to check for Votes (and have missed 3), I'd like to request this.

I'm gonna call "early June" June 7th, if that's OK. I have to have an exact date to make the rules work out right.

In any case, approved.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I'm gonna call "early June" June 7th, if that's OK. I have to have an exact date to make the rules work out right.

In any case, approved.
That's absolutely alright. Thank You, COE!

Expected Date of Return: 5/14/13

Reason: RL family has cancer and will be going into surgery this week. I'll be out of commission for a bit.

Since that's less than 20 days, and you're in no danger of being removed for not voting, it won't be necessary for you to take leave. I wish you and your family well!

Granted, but please, if you would, post again in this thread just before your absence, so that we'll remember to acknowledge it in the OP and the rolls.

I will be on leave myself when your absence begins, so Deputy SillyString will be in charge of making sure it is acknowledged.

Roger.
salute.gif

Expected Date of Return (GMT): Oh jeebus, GMT? Who uses that other than GMT'ers :( I'll be back like Friday or some bs... Idk, y'all are lucking I thought to even do this much :P

Reason for Request: I'm going on vacation.

Expected Date of Return (GMT): 2013-07-26

Reason for Request: I will be primitive camping for two weeks (06-23 - 07-07) and then attending a large Boy Scout event with no internet for two weeks (07-11 - 07-25). The intervening time isn't really enough to justify returning to my duties, and then I'll need a day to get back into things at the end.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Granted, but please, if you would, post again in this thread just before your absence, so that we'll remember to acknowledge it in the OP and the rolls.

I will be on leave myself when your absence begins, so Deputy SillyString will be in charge of making sure it is acknowledged.
Since I'm leaving soon now, this is the reminder.

I believe I do not need to apply for a LoA for such a short period of time, but better to mention it in any case.

I will be travelling and most likely away from NS from Saturday till next Friday.

Expected Date of Return: 20th September 2013

Reason: I'd like to ask for a LoA for around one month.

My time on NS is greatly decreased and I'd like to use this time to focus on RL matters, so whilst the laptop may be on and connected to IRC, I won't be actively working on NationStates or anything which requires a lot of attention.

I should have more time to devote to the various NS miscellanea come midway through September, but would generally like a holiday.

Since I granted Flemingovia an indefinite leave of absence two months ago, he has made an average of 3 posts per day, run for public office, and sponsored legislation. He's never left the forum for longer than a week or so, and he has voted regularly in the business of the RA. Since it is clear that he is not really taking leave, I am revoking his leave of absence. Flemingovia, you may reapply for a leave of a finite length if it becomes necessary.

The more I think about it, the more the concept of indefinite leave bothers me. The problem is that when a member is on an indefinite leave of absence, they are essentially immune to certain membership requirements until they decide to subject themselves to those membership requirements once again. This is problematic, because there is no incentive to ever "return" from an indefinite leave of absence. Therefore, the nature of a leave of absence should always be temporary, and taken with a definite end date in mind. If a members find themselves in a situation where they will be unable to participate in the RA for the foreseeable future, it would be appropriate for them to resign rather than take a leave of absence. So, I will no longer grant indefinite leaves of absence, and I hereby revoke those which have already been granted.

Thus, Grosseschauzer's indefinite leave is also revoked. He may apply for a leave of a finite duration if he feels it is necessary.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Since I granted Flemingovia an indefinite leave of absence two months ago, he has made an average of 3 posts per day, run for public office, and sponsored legislation. He's never left the forum for longer than a week or so, and he has voted regularly in the business of the RA. Since it is clear that he is not really taking leave, I am revoking his leave of absence. Flemingovia, you may reapply for a leave of a finite length if it becomes necessary.

The more I think about it, the more the concept of indefinite leave bothers me. The problem is that when a member is on an indefinite leave of absence, they are essentially immune to certain membership requirements until they decide to subject themselves to those membership requirements once again. This is problematic, because there is no incentive to ever "return" from an indefinite leave of absence. Therefore, the nature of a leave of absence should always be temporary, and taken with a definite end date in mind. If a members find themselves in a situation where they will be unable to participate in the RA for the foreseeable future, it would be appropriate for them to resign rather than take a leave of absence. So, I will no longer grant indefinite leaves of absence, and I hereby revoke those which have already been granted.

Thus, Grosseschauzer's indefinite leave is also revoked. He may apply for a leave of a finite duration if he feels it is necessary.
I thought the reason for activity requirements was to keep the rolls free of fly-by-night members who do not really contribute anything. The LOA provision is in place so that active members are not barred from participating when RL situations arise. I disagree with the speaker's decision to change the policy. Moreover, I strongly disagree with the announcement that the policy is being changed in mid-stream. It adversely affects two players who have contributed a great deal to this region.

it is my belief and opinion that the purpose of the law is to purge the non-players, not to penalize longtime members, former delegates and normally very active participants (check those post counts.)

COE, you have no idea what it is like to move a household with 4 kids, but I hope one day you will get to experience it in all its chaos and unpredictability. And thank God you are not afflicted with any disabilities and you can carry on with work, school, and all your daily activities unimpeded by health problems.

Who are you to say that Flem and Schnauzers have no incentive to come back? They'll be back when RL allows, because this is their region, their home. That's all the incentive needed.

Back