The North Pacific Vs. Rostum

I recognize the petition of Regional Assembly member Gracius Maximus, and the decision of the Chief Prosecutor to pursue prosecution of Regional Assembly member Rostum for:

Chief Prosecutor:
actively promoting war against The Pacific.

Which violates Article 5, section 5 of The North Pacific constitution.

Article V:
Section 5. Grounds for Civil, Criminal or Impeachment Proceedings.

The following acts shall constitute grounds for civil, criminal or impeachment proceedings:
A - Failure of a Nation to observe and abide by the Constitution of The North Pacific and The North Pacific Legal Code.
B - Failure of a Nation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any other nation or region in a manner inconsistent with the Constitution of The North Pacific and the North Pacific Legal Code.

Before this trial can proceed I must address an issue raised by Regional Assembly member Cathyy regarding Rule 508b of the interim Court Guidelines, which states:

Interim Court Rule 508.:
B - The nation(s) against whom the complaint is filed will have five days from the date of the notice to file a response with the presiding judge in a dedicated thread that is opened for the trial proceedings.

Seeing as there was no dedicated thread at the time, due to my absence, I will allow five days from the posting of this thread so that Rostum can be given the opportunity to answer the charges being brought against him by the Chief Prosecutor. If Rostum does not answer within five days then I will be forced to enter a "not guilty" plea on his behalf and appoint a Public Defender to answer the charges being brought against him.

Due to the demands made on my time in regards to TNP vs. FEC I recuse myself from any further involvement with these proceedings. If the Court wishes to request my testimony at a later date I will reply as swiftly as possible.

Sorry it took so long for this. I really dropped the ball on this one.

A - Once a plea is entered in a criminal or impeachment proceeding, or a response to a complaint is filed in a civil proceeding, a period of time for the discovery of evidence and the compilation of witness testimony will commence.

This begins the pretrial discovery of evidence. Evidence of Rostum's actions are to be compiled for evaluation by me, the presiding officer.

TNP citizen Gracius Maximus is asked to present all evidence that shall be the basis for a potential trial. I will then evaluate the evidence and decide about further proceedings.

As requested Gracius Maximus, you may have the full 14 days due to your current obligations as Defense Counsel for Former English Colony in her trial.

I may have some evidence that may be of use to either party regarding Rostum (in the form of PMs). I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I just wanted to let the court know.

I have received the evidence in question and firmly believe a trial is warranted for threat of force against a region with which The North Pacific has ties. I will start selecting jury members later today. I only hope there are 5 left unoccupied.

You may post the evidence here if it is relevant.
I do not have permission from Rostum to post said Personal Message. Is it the policy of the courts to have this information submitted privately instead of in the public forum?

EDIT: On reconsideration, I have realized it is most likely unethical to post said message, since parts were asked to be kept secret.

As it is for a Court case, it would be permissible should you choose to do so. You could always forward the PM to the Justices directly.

I have received the evidence in question and firmly believe a trial is warranted for threat of force against a region with which The North Pacific has ties. I will start selecting jury members later today. I only hope there are 5 left unoccupied.
Bumpdidebumpbumpdump

Motion to Dismiss:

As Rostum has left The North Pacific and therefore could not be ejected or banned from the region (the sentence he would expect if he was found guilty), and appears to have turned control of his nation to a used nation dealer (Ralph Spoilsport Nations), continuation of this trial seems to be a waste of time for the court and any jurors that have been found yet.

http://www.nationstates.net/rostum

The United Federation of Hersfold
Acting Prime Minister
Security Council Member

The motion is recognized by the court. Due to the fact that Rostum is no longer a citizen nor even a nation of The North Pacific the case against him will be dropped.

(thanks guys, we really need to rework this jury system)

Back