Poltsamaa for Prime Minister!!

Poltsamaa

TNPer
Firstly I'd like to thank Digitalis for nominating me for this office!!

For those of you that do not know me I'll give a brief outline of my political history in The North Pacific!!

I was appointed Deputy Minister of Justice to Gracius Maximus prior to the advent of the NPD!! When the NPD came to power I was offered the position of Minister of Cooperation which is akin to our Minister of External Affairs!! I soon switched to the position of Minister of the Assembly and presided over the formation of the Regional Assembly, the forebearer to the Regional Assembly you see today!!

At the resignation of The Minister and the subsequent withdrawal of the NPD I remained in the region when many of the NPD members left or went inactive!! I believed I had something to offer the region despite the divide created by the NPD's formation!! I ran for Prime Minister in the first post-NPD elections and was defeated by NPC member Tresville!! I watched as people of various political persuasions were persecuted and denied the basic rights enshrined in the new Constitution and felt there was a better way of doing things!! The region was set to tear itself apart again over political beliefs and extra-regional affiliations!! At the conclusion of the first elected term during which I served briefly as Deputy Minister of External Affairs after a large portion of the elected Ministers went inactive I decided to re-run for Prime Minister and formed the Civil Progressive Party (CPP) with a number of like-minded members of the region!!

The CPP were hugely successful with many of its members winning election, including myself!! During this term the spats of the past were ended!! People denied the vote were granted the vote, people from all political persuasions were wlecomed to the region and it flourished as a result!! The Cabinet were exceptional and I thank them again for their efforts and ability to cut through the crap and get to the crux of matters!!

I ran for a second term last election but was narrowly defeated in a run-off election by Flemingovia!! It was at that point I decided to give the new Cabinet its space and resign from NS for a couple of months!! I wanted this cabinet to have the opportunities that I was given when elected and have them be allowed to run the region as they saw fit with minimal interference from me or others who may not agree with their ideas!! I returned a month ago and saw not much had changed!! The region had stagnated and some of the old divides were starting to open up!! Hence, I decided to accpet the nomination by Digitalis and here I am!!

What Do I Hope to Achieve?!

If elected I hope to steer the region back on the course it was on when I left the region!! I am concerned at the recent diplomatic incidents and would like to see our region on friendly terms with all our feeder colleagues!! We ask that people respect our government and laws and I think we should do the same for other regions at the very least!!

As far as recruitment is concerned, we need to advertise what we have more effectively!! It is all well and good to say we have democracy and to be part of it, we have to make the democratic process interesting!! At present it seems to be the domain of a few who tend to alienate the majority with over complicated and over long proposals/analyses which tend to turn the average person away!! I realise we have some budding lawyer etc who use this as a sounding board for their RL vocations but we do have to start to look at a way of making it more inclusive and a way of making the process more appealing and accessible to more people!! Simplifying the proposals using lay terms and short and to the point anlyses are one way of doing this, in my opinion!! If we have an appealing product then more people will want to be part of it!!

The NPA is a bugbear of this region!! To be honest, it has no purpose with most defenders in the region taking orders from elsewhere or following other armies when assistance is offered!! I am at the point where I believe the NPA should be disbanded!! We do not have a leader of the NPA who is solely a member of the NPA and as such I believe the NPA no longer has an identity in the NS world!! It is sad that it has come to this, but it is time we saw things for what they are!!

I would also encourage participation of our government in conferences with the other feeders!! FEC has started a foum that may well facilitate this and I think it should be encouraged!! This is not to say we are forming a super-government, it is more of a place where the leaders of the feeders can go to discuss issues or thrash out any problems in a controlled environment rater than the current method of posturing on regional forums which, as is evident, creates nothing but more friction!!

I have also read AlHoma's campaign speech and agree with him when he says we need to tidy up the Constitution, especially with regards to editorial comments!! I'd rather have new posts appended to the Constitution outlining what was changed for reference purposes and remove the editorial comments and any other relics of past clauses or versions of!! I also support his moves to update the Constitution for Dummies and make it more accessible to nations new and old so they can form a better understanding of the document and what it says without having to trawl through the long and convoluted document itself!! I also remember Digitalis was working on a website that made the Constitution searchable!! I'd be interested in seeing if he was willing to continue with that or not as is would be of great help!!

Overall, I am running because believe the region has drifted slightly off course!! As Flemingovia said, we have had nearly a year of peace and democracy in the region!! It would be a great shame to see old grudges ruin that for all of us again!! I run as a candidate who puts aside personal feelings and does what is best for the region!! I am a Prime Minister who works closely with the Cabinet and values their input and knowledge of their respective portfolios!! A vote for Poltsamaa is a vote for cooperation, peace and democracy free from personal agendas and infighting!!

Thank you for taking the time to read my campaign outline and please feel free to ask any questions you may have about my campaign!!

Do you like kittens?

If a coin is flipped and it lands perfectly on it's side who wins?

What is the ultimate question?

EDIT NOTE: Original question was flamebait. I appoligize.

Maybe I missed this in your speech.

How precisely to you wish to stop the infighting? How would this policy be different than that of the current administration?

Thanks in advance.

List at least twenty-five reasons why Ivan Moldavi is the worst player to ever happen to this game.

Then profess your love of furry animals, please.

And finally, use exactly fifty-two pairs of exclamation marks in your response.

Maybe I missed this in your speech.

How precisely to you wish to stop the infighting? How would this policy be different than that of the current administration?

Thanks in advance.
By making sure that people's rights are not trodden on as they have been in the past!! I think you will find that people of differing opinions express them more civilly in an environment in which everyone is entitled to make their ideas known free from persecution!!

I did mention these things briefly in my campaign speech and alluded to the success of these measures during my last term!!

Grenval:
List at least twenty-five reasons why Ivan Moldavi is the worst player to ever happen to this game.

Then profess your love for furry animals, please.

Find someone else to fulfil your fantasies, Grenval!! ;)

Grenval:

Then profess your love for furry animals, please.

Find someone else to fulfil your fantasies, Grenval!! ;)
Okay, list twenty-five reasons why Ivan Moldavi is the best player to ever happen to this game. ;)

But, really, I'm not kidding about the furry animal love.

My apologies to you if this has been said already, but what do you feel you offer that wasn't offered or achieved in the previous government?

Has the Flemingovia administration persecuted anyone?
I'm just trying to see where the differences between you and Flem  as PM are.
Not that I am aware of, however the government preceding my term as Prime Minister did!! Many people were denied the right to vote based on their affiliations in NS despite the fact they met the criteria to register to vote!!

The last week or so has seen some of those divides resurface and I believe I am the leader to stop it from dividing the region again!! My last term saw the division and persecution disappear thanks to the work of the Cabinet of the time!!

Flemingovia is not running for Prime minister again at this point in time so my campaign is not directed at contrasting his term with mine or what a future term of mine would be!! It is a campaign whereby I show my strengths as a leader in this region!! As per the campaign outline, I have the ability to look at situations without my personal opinions clouding the analysis (a trait many of my cabinet possessed also) and I think that is important if the region is to continue as a peaceful democracy!!

Dalimbar:
My apologies to you if this has been said already, but what do you feel you offer that wasn't offered or achieved in the previous government?

I covered this in the answer above, but believe my abilities to assess a situation and act on it without personal opinions clouding my judgement to be one difference!! The recent debacle over recruiting in The Pacific is a pertinent example of what can happen when people place their political beliefs above what is best for the region looking at the bigger picture!! With the current set-up in TNP, a PM is only as good and his/her cabinet and I was lucky to have a strong team in Cabinet during my last term which made things much easier for everyone!! People need to think long and hard about who they vote for!! Quite often the person you like the most personally is not the best person for the job!!

I believe some people can keep two or more characters in the game separate and those people should be allowed to do so!!

As for your editing of the quote source, Tygaland has not and will not reside in TNP, in fact that nation is is stasis and not active in NationStates!! ;) However, I am the owner of that nation in case there is anyone out there who was unware of that!!

Grenval:
Do you practice duality?
Not at present, but i have in the past!!

Do you plan to use duality while Prime Minister, if elected?

No!! As I stated above, Tygaland is in stasis in a neutral region and will not be activated in the forseeable future!! Tygaland's activity declined to almost non-existant once the region of New Sparrow/Sparrow closed down and I see no reason to reactivate that nation!!

The NPA is a bugbear of this region!! To be honest, it has no purpose with most defenders in the region taking orders from elsewhere or following other armies when assistance is offered!! I am at the point where I believe the NPA should be disbanded!! We do not have a leader of the NPA who is solely a member of the NPA and as such I believe the NPA no longer has an identity in the NS world!! It is sad that it has come to this, but it is time we saw things for what they are!!

Whilst I might agree with you on some of the symptoms of which the NPA is suffering, do you really think disbanding the NPA is the right way to solve those isses?

In NationStates, we have no economy or other means of putting pressure on regions aside from military power. The lack of military power in TNP has for a while made diplomacy more difficult as it often leaves us negotiation from a position of weakness. Surely your suggestion would compound the problem and move TNP further towards a state similar to TEP, completely irrelevant as an international actor. The simple fact we are a feeder means nothing if we cannot back it up with the kind of power that status should bring.

Do you not think that we should instead be looking at rebuilding the NPA rather than completely removing it?

Given that you are in favor of disbanding the NPA and leaving the region without any organized and formal means for defencing the region, how would you defend the region for threats and incursions?

Thank you for making such an assertion concerning the NPA, it has convinced me that now I have no choice but to run for Prime Minister once again.

Regards,

Romanoffia

I agree with Poltsamaa. The NPA is ineffective and practically non-existent, and those who are "active" are only so because they are heavily affiliated with other Defender Organizations.

I don't really see how the NPA assists in defending this region. Perhaps I should talk with somebody in the security council or MoD about how easy it would be for someone who is willing to take the region. Also, with this tactic, regional influence would not be of great concern.

Whilst I might agree with you on some of the symptoms of which the NPA is suffering, do you really think disbanding the NPA is the right way to solve those isses?

In NationStates, we have no economy or other means of putting pressure on regions aside from military power. The lack of military power in TNP has for a while made diplomacy more difficult as it often leaves us negotiation from a position of weakness. Surely your suggestion would compound the problem and move TNP further towards a state similar to TEP, completely irrelevant as an international actor. The simple fact we are a feeder means nothing if we cannot back it up with the kind of power that status should bring.

Do you not think that we should instead be looking at rebuilding the NPA rather than completely removing it?
Rebuilding the NPA has been the catchphrase of many candidates both for PM and Minister of Defense!! The problem is that most people in this region who are looking to become involved in defending already are defending but under the leadership of other regions/alliances!! The NPA is and has been for quite sometime merely a name!! We cannot even find a nation solely a member of the NPA to lead it let alone fill out its ranks!! I have been a member, although I am not now, and not once did I receive orders from any NPA leadership to go on a defending mission!! My orders came in the way or a request to assist direct to me via IRC!!

The NPA or a military has no bearing on regional strength or status as they are essentially useless as a defensive tool for a feeder region!! People may want to cling to the name, but a name is really nothing at all in the wash up!!

Romanoffia:
Given that you are in favor of disbanding the NPA and leaving the region without any organized and formal means for defencing the region, how would you defend the region for threats and incursions?

I think you have a misunderstanding of what the NPA does!! It does not defend our region from threats in any way, shape or form!! The NPIA apparently provides intelligence about threats to a security and the Delegate by way of endorsement swapping and maintaining a high endorsement count protects our region from invasion!! Your assessment is either dishonest or comes from a lack of knowledge of the game and its mechanics!! It is the role of the Cabinet, Delegate and NPIA to detect and monitor the region's security, not the NPA!!

Romanoffia:
Thank you for making such an assertion concerning the NPA, it has convinced me that now I have no choice but to run for Prime Minister once again.

Regards,

Romanoffia

Like you were not going to anyway!! ;) I stand by my position with regards to the NPA as I believe it is an honest assessment based on the facts and history over the past year!!

As one of the people who had their rights illegally taken in regimes prior to your previous term as Prime Minister I will of course always be grateful for the huge steps forward made during your time (and amazingly no great harm appears to have come to the region from my one tiny vote!!)

It's good to see you standing for a second term.

I have long felt and made no secret of the fact that I believe that the TNP constitution is over-long, incomprehensible to most and hardly likely to be read or understand by new players to the game.

I know you've already said you support a re-write of the 'Dummy' guide, and the removal of the editorial notes - for which I applaud you.

Would you support a major re-write of the Constitution?

Do you believe that those who originally wrote the Constitution now protect it, to the detriment of the region, maybe partly because it is hard to see one's own work criticised?

If so, how can we avoid thoe people appearing to have a 'trump card' when the constitution is debated?

Thanks in advance and good luck with your campaign.

As one of the people who had their rights illegally taken in regimes prior to your previous term as Prime Minister I will of course always be grateful for the huge steps forward made during your time (and amazingly no great harm appears to have come to the region from my one tiny vote!!)

It's good to see you standing for a second term.
Thanks!!

I have long felt and made no secret of the fact that I believe that the TNP constitution is over-long, incomprehensible to most and hardly likely to be read or understand by new players to the game.

I know you've already said you support a re-write of the 'Dummy' guide, and the removal of the editorial notes - for which I applaud you.

Would you support a major re-write of the Constitution?

I think a major re-write may be too much of an upheaval for the region and I do not necessarily believe it to be the best course of action!! There is no doubt that the constitution needs to be simplified!! I believe that this could be achieved by members of the region proposing legislative change that simplifies the wording of clauses and also makes them shorter and more to the point!!

Do you believe that those who originally wrote the Constitution now protect it, to the detriment of the region, maybe partly because it is hard to see one's own work criticised?

The authors of the Constitution certainly do protect it and at times it is detrimental to the region, although I'm sure that is not their motivation!! I think some people find it hard to accept that the constitution is a living document that is meant to change as the region changes!! To that extent, I do feel that some are blocking change purely for the reason that they do not want to see their "baby" altered!!

If so, how can we avoid thoe people appearing to have a 'trump card' when the constitution is debated?

By keeping discussion of possible changes on topic and allowing those who advocate change to post their ideas without being drowned out in a see of verbose posts!! This is essentially what I was getting at when I mentioned that often people are put off by long and wordy posts as they feel they cannot compete with such posts regardless of the validity of the ideas conveyed!! There is no doubt a "ruling class" for want of a better term who see themselves as the only ones capable of protecting and running the region!! If the region is to grow then this needs to end!!

Thanks in advance and good luck with your campaign.

You're welcome and thank you for your thoughful questions!!

Well I am not part of any defender organizations and I'm proud of my service in the NPA...
I, too, am proud of my service in the NPA but it was service only in name as I never once took orders from an NPA member as I stated in my campaign outline!! Tagging along with other armies with members of the NPA that considered themselves more members of other armies than the NPA is in no way representative of an independent army from The North Pacific!!

It is time that sentimentality took a back seat and the true state of the NPA was addressed!! At present it has no status, no leadership and miniscule membership!! It has been this way for a while and a good number of people have tried to revive it without success!!

If someone can step up and ressurect the NPA then that would be fantastic!! However, based on recent history and the present situation, I cannot forsee it happening!!

Poltsamaa:
The NPA is a bugbear of this region!! To be honest, it has no purpose with most defenders in the region taking orders from elsewhere or following other armies when assistance is offered!! …  The NPA is and has been for quite sometime merely a name!!

I fear your absence from the region has put you out of touch with regional affairs. I have to pay tribute to Dalimbar and Azazel here, because it might surprise you to learn that the NPA has, in fact, been far more active in this last term.

Although small in number, it has represented this region in several defender missions abroad, including at least once off the top of my head where it has been the only defender organisation involved.

Historically, the NPA has also had an important role in this region, which you overlook, of providing a pool of UN nations who can be called back to provide emergency endorsement of the delegate when needed. I can think of at least one occasion historically when this was called upon. All the more reason for a stronger NPA.

I would have to put my hand up as one who would rather see our region strengthened by a built up NPA, than see us castrated by its disbandment.

My question is this: Whatever your opinion of the NPA as an organisation, are you willing to offer the members of the NPA, an apology for dismissing them as the bugbear of this region, given the time and energy they have spent representing this region in the past three months?

The answer to this should give folks an opportunity to assess your statesmanlike qualities.

I fear your absence from the region has put you out of touch with regional affairs. I have to pay tribute to Dalimbar and Azazel here, because it might surprise you to learn that the NPA has, in fact, been far more active in this last term.

Although small in number, it has represented this region in several defender missions abroad, including at least once off the top of my head where it has been the only defender organisation involved.
Dalimbar and Azazel are members of foreign armies, are they not?! Which emphasises my point!! We have a small army led by people from other armies!! The NPA is merely a banner harking back to what was, not what is!!

Historically, the NPA has also had an important role in this region, which you overlook, of providing a pool of UN nations who can be called back to provide emergency endorsement of the delegate when needed. I can think of at least one occasion historically when this was called upon. All the more reason for a stronger NPA.

By this logic, the region would be significantly stronger more often by having these UN member nations in the region more of the time!! Secondly, the disbanding of the NPA will not prevent the people interested in defending from doing so!!

I would have to put my hand up as one who would rather see our region strengthened by a built up NPA, than see us castrated by its disbandment.

Taking into account what I said above, how would removing a name castrate the region?!

My question is this: Whatever your opinion of the NPA as an organisation, are you willing to offer the members of the NPA, an apology for dismissing them as the bugbear of this region, given the time and energy they have spent representing this region in the past three months?

I would need to apologise to myself if that were the case!! My reference to the NPA as a bugbear was to the body, not its members and I'm sure you know that only too well!! The NPA has been an issue for the best part of a year and time and again we are told someone will revivie it and build it up but at the end of the day it does not happen!! If people want to continue assisting with defending then they will be free to do so, we just don't need a banner to defend under if it has no real meaning anymore!! Having our army being lead by members of another army is not having an army at all!!

The answer to this should give folks an opportunity to assess your statesmanlike qualities.

I hope you are pleased with the response!! ;)

Rebuilding the NPA has been the catchphrase of many candidates both for PM and Minister of Defense!! The problem is that most people in this region who are looking to become involved in defending already are defending but under the leadership of other regions/alliances!! The NPA is and has been for quite sometime merely a name!! We cannot even find a nation solely a member of the NPA to lead it let alone fill out its ranks!! I have been a member, although I am not now, and not once did I receive orders from any NPA leadership to go on a defending mission!! My orders came in the way or a request to assist direct to me via IRC!!

There are a few in the NPA who are only in the one organisation, including myself. Recruiting from the UN nations already residing in TNP gives us the potential for more nations without outside interests.

The NPA or a military has no bearing on regional strength or status as they are essentially useless as a defensive tool for a feeder region!! People may want to cling to the name, but a name is really nothing at all in the wash up!!

You seem to have misunderstood my question. I was talking about the NPA as a foreign policy, rather than defensive, tool. Without a military the current problems we have when negotiating abroad will become much worse. There is only so much you can rely on our status as a feeder without having the military power behind us which that status should bring. At the moment we do tend to have negotiate from a position of military weakness but to go down the route you suggest would see us made completely irrelevant, turning us into another TEP. Is that your intent?

No. Not pleased. Neither am I surprised, though.

I'm not surprised either!! You provide no insight into what is being discussed, no counter-argument to what I have said and all you do offer is a text version of a shake of the head while clicking your tongue!! Same old stuff!!

There are a few in the NPA who are only in the one organisation, including myself. Recruiting from the UN nations already residing in TNP gives us the potential for more nations without outside interests.
I am well aware of that, I was one of them!! And as for recruiting from the UN nations in the region, it has been tried before with little success!! If someone were to try it and succeed then that is great!! But, as I have said, I am judging things based on history and present day, not idealistic projections!!

You seem to have misunderstood my question. I was talking about the NPA as a foreign policy, rather than defensive, tool. Without a military the current problems we have when negotiating abroad will become much worse. There is only so much you can rely on our status as a feeder without having the military power behind us which that status should bring. At the moment we do tend to have negotiate from a position of military weakness but to go down the route you suggest would see us made completely irrelevant, turning us into another TEP. Is that your intent?

I understood your question perfectly well!! I do not see having a tiny military as having any bearing on our status in the NationStates community!! I am not aware of any aspect of diplomacy that requires an "our army is bigger than your army" argument!! Our regional strength is in our size and our committedness to improving our region from the inside!! As for your last tag line, I have no experience with TEP nor their system of government so I am not trying to turn us into anything of the sort!! I am voicing my views on how the region can better use its resources!!

I am not aware of any aspect of diplomacy that requires an "our army is bigger than your army" argument!! Our regional strength is in our size and our committedness to improving our region from the inside!! As for your last tag line, I have no experience with TEP nor their system of government so I am not trying to turn us into anything of the sort!! I am voicing my views on how the region can better use its resources!!
no, but wouldn't that turn military alliances obsolete?

I would also like to point out, that the NPA played an important role in the recent liberation of Lazarus, which put me into power.

my other questions are:
In what way, do you think that the abolishment of the NPA bring TNP more security?
and, why do you keep on attching too many !!!! to your posts?

I agree with Polts' assessment of the NPA.

When I was Delegate of TNP, albeit under a completely different set of parameters, I usually wasn't even informed where the NPA was.

When I once suggested that the NPA was called back from wherever it was (if memory serves correctly it was the RR) as the ADN had reported to us a possible Feeder invasion I was met with hostility and asked to justify such a request.

The reality is that unless the NPA numbers at least 100 and in reality much more I doubt it can play much of a role in protecting regional security.

That leaves it with the job of defending other smaller regions.

I really don't see why that can't be as easily achieved by those members of the NPA and region being part of the armies that most apparently already are and working with those people directly.

It would seem to make defending much more co-ordinated if people are part of one army rather than receiving orders third hand.

One thing I've always admired Polts for is his ability to say it how it is. Sentimental views are nice but not what I really want in a leader.

I'll change this question around if I may Polts.

Do you believe that a re-vamped NPA could one day act as a Defender army in its own right?

Do you believe that could be a possible long term aim?

no, but wouldn't that turn military alliances obsolete?
To which military alliances are you referring?! As a feeder we do not need to be part of a military alliance, yet I can see why we might be seen as valuable assets ot others as part of one!!

I would also like to point out, that the NPA played an important role in the recent liberation of Lazarus, which put me into power.

And the same people would have helped out if the NPA had not been in existance as the orders for the defense would have come from other armies/alliances!!

In what way, do you think that the abolishment of the NPA bring TNP more security?

Abolishing it will have no real affect on region security either way!! If anything the regional security would be strengthend by having NPA nations resident in the region and endorsing the Delegate although those nations would be free to continue helping in defensive operations under the global defender banner!!

and, why do you keep on attching too many !!!! to your posts?

So that people have a "serious" issue to complain about between conspiracies!! It also allows them a way to try to insult me if they run out of other ways I suppose!! ;)

Do you believe that a re-vamped NPA could one day act as a Defender army in its own right?
It is possible, but history suggests it is unlikely!! Ideally, it would be great for the region, i just wonder how many more times we have to go over the same ground in the effort to revive an army that has no indigenous leadership!!

Do you believe that could be a possible long term aim?

I believe it has been for a while and clearly a few people still cling to that aim!! I cannot singlehandedly close down the NPA, it would require a vote of the RA or at very least the Cabinet!! If enough people want to keep trying then we will keep trying!! I just wonder if the energies spent in that area could not be better served in getting people more involved in the political aspect of the region via the RA as I stated in my campaign outline!!

The important question, the answer of which you seem to avoid, is: Why would you want to disband the one and only defense organization that this region has and leave us pants-down? This is especially worrisome because other larger regions are building up their military organisations.

R

The important question, the answer of which you seem to avoid, is: Why would you want to disband the one and only defense organization that this region has and leave us pants-down? This is especially worrisome because other larger regions are building up their military organisations.

R
I don't see how it leaves us "pants-down" and nobody has bothered to post reasons why they believe this is so!! Rather they post scaremongering sermons based not on fact and logic but pure idealism!!

At present we have a miniscule miltary that is not even under our control for the vast majority of the time!! By your assesment, we have been "pants-down" for over a year now!! We have survived and will continue to do so even without the name NPA to rest against!!

Back