Poltsamaa for Prime Minister!!

Polts:
I think you have a misunderstanding of what the NPA does!! It does not defend our region from threats in any way, shape or form!! The NPIA apparently provides intelligence about threats to a security and the Delegate by way of endorsement swapping and maintaining a high endorsement count protects our region from invasion!! Your assessment is either dishonest or comes from a lack of knowledge of the game and its mechanics!! It is the role of the Cabinet, Delegate and NPIA to detect and monitor the region's security, not the NPA!!

And you are obviously, as a result of your recent absence from the region, out of touch with what the NPA does.

Let me ask a question which you apparently appear to be avoiding: How can you justify stripping this region of its army? Why would you promote preventing denying this region of one of its main orgnizations for projecting power and taking part in defender actions?

R

And you are obviously, as a result of your recent absence from the region, out of touch with what the NPA does.
Actually, I think the problem is is that I know exactly what the NPA does and does not do!! Avoidance of game mechanics is avoiding the majority of the issue!! Having UN member nations go out on defenses does not increase our regional security!! Having UN nations stay in the region and endorse our Delegate does!!

Let me ask a question which you apparently appear to be avoiding: How can you justify stripping this region of its army? Why would you promote preventing denying this region of one of its main orgnizations for projecting power and taking part in defender actions?

R

I can justify it by asking you to take a look at the NPA over the past year!! It is tiny and lead by nations with stronger affiliations to other armies!! Many people have tried to revive it with no success!! The proposition I gave to the people of the region was that it is time to stop trying to revive it, let people who want to defend do so as they have been by following other groups and concentrate on internal regional matters with regards to defense!!
The thing is, I have been involved with the NPA and defending!! I know how and when "orders" for defenses are given!! People who are online are contacted on IRC/YIM/MSN or telegram on NS and asked to help out!! There is no chain of command in the NPA, there is no system to it!! Dalimbar and Azazel have done a great job with the resources they have but ultimately nobody recognises us as any more helpful because we have a name, NPA!! The same people will defend regardless of whether the NPA survives!! The NPA projects no power, in fact I'd say it is one of the weaker things we have to offer as a region!!
Saying that I would be denying people the right to take part in defender actions is another piece of misinformation similar to the regional security drivel you mentioned earlier in my campaign thread!! When the facts are checked, your claims just do not stack up!! Do you really think that closing down the NPA would stop people like Azazel, Dalimbar and Tresville from defending?! Of course not!! Would I ask them to stop?! No!! All that would disappear would be the name because there is no army in TNP!! There are a small group who assist in defenses and they will be free to continue, they can even call themselves the NPA if they want, it just would not be officially recognised by the government as a regional army!!

I actually think Polts is bang on the money here, and regardless of his performance in the upcoming election I shall be discussing this with members of the RA.

The important question, the answer of which you seem to avoid, is: Why would you want to disband the one and only defense organization that this region has and leave us pants-down? This is especially worrisome because other larger regions are building up their military organisations.

R
I don't see how it leaves us "pants-down" and nobody has bothered to post reasons why they believe this is so!! Rather they post scaremongering sermons based not on fact and logic but pure idealism!!

At present we have a miniscule miltary that is not even under our control for the vast majority of the time!! By your assesment, we have been "pants-down" for over a year now!! We have survived and will continue to do so even without the name NPA to rest against!!
Well, if the NPA is 'minesucle', what would you do to increase its numbers and effectiveness? Or would you just leave us with our pants down?

So, if I read your statements right, you think that there is no need for TNP to have any means of defending itself from hostile elements bent upon taking us over?

R

The thing is, I have been involved with the NPA and defending!! I know how and when "orders" for defenses are given!! People who are online are contacted on IRC/YIM/MSN or telegram on NS and asked to help out!! There is no chain of command in the NPA, there is no system to it!! Dalimbar and Azazel have done a great job with the resources they have but ultimately nobody recognises us as any more helpful because we have a name, NPA!! The same people will defend regardless of whether the NPA survives!! The NPA projects no power, in fact I'd say it is one of the weaker things we have to offer as a region!!

Saying that I would be denying people the right to take part in defender actions is another piece of misinformation similar to the regional security drivel you mentioned earlier in my campaign thread!! When the facts are checked, your claims just do not stack up!! Do you really think that closing down the NPA would stop people like Azazel, Dalimbar and Tresville from defending?! Of course not!! Would I ask them to stop?! No!! All that would disappear would be the name because there is no army in TNP!! There are a small group who assist in defenses and they will be free to continue, they can even call themselves the NPA if they want, it just would not be officially recognised by the government as a regional army!!
I completely agree with you on the issue of the NPA and TNP's regional security. I'm sorry, but whoever thinks that a force of 15 to 20 or even up to 50ish would be effective in the case of a rogue delegate is being silly. And if it gets to the point where our delegate needed that propping up, they obviously haven't been paying enough attention.

However, I disagree on the need to disband the NPA as an official organization. True, there are many members of the NPA that are members of other defense organizations. That seems to be true by and large in the defender realm. However, as witnessed by some of the comments in this thread, some of the NPA members are solely TNP members. It seems like the NPA would be fine continuing in much the same vein it is and trying to recruit new members from within TNP. It always seems to me people's first thought is how to go to war with other nations, and being able to offer them some outlet would be a good idea I believe. Especially if someone gives me a short way to do that in the TG's I'll be sending out to every UN nation. ;)

Well, if the NPA is 'minesucle', what would you do to increase its numbers and effectiveness? Or would you just leave us with our pants down?
You haven't shown me how it would leave us "pants down"!! I have asked you to expand on the concept but you refuse to do so and repeat the same statement over and over!! The disbanding of the NPA will have no detrimental effect on our regional security!!

How will we increase NPA numbers?! Have you not read a post I have made?! I think it should be disbanded as many attempts to recruit to the NPA have failed!! People charged with that job have said as much a number of times on this forum!!

So, if I read your statements right, you think that there is no need for TNP to have any means of defending itself from hostile elements bent upon taking us over?

R

I don't think you have read any of my statements nor those of others (FEC's comment above) that show that the NPA has no role in "defending" TNP!! Repeating the same falsehood over and over does not make it fact!! If you want to stop people taking us over, put an endorsement cap in place and police it!! It really is that simple!! If we get a rogue Delegate, there is really no defense that can prevent that!!

So, please explain to me how disbanding the NPA puts regional security at risk!! Regional security being keeping the elected Delegate in place!! If you could explain this to me then perhaps I can discuss the topic with you!! If you continue to refuse to elaborate on what it is you are talking about I will not repeat the same counters to the same statements ad nauseum!!

I completely agree with you on the issue of the NPA and TNP's regional security. I'm sorry, but whoever thinks that a force of 15 to 20 or even up to 50ish would be effective in the case of a rogue delegate is being silly. And if it gets to the point where our delegate needed that propping up, they obviously haven't been paying enough attention.
Thank you!! finally someone who can look at the subject objectively!! :clap:

However, I disagree on the need to disband the NPA as an official organization.  True, there are many members of the NPA that are members of other defense organizations.  That seems to be true by and large in the defender realm.  However, as witnessed by some of the comments in this thread, some of the NPA members are solely TNP members.  It seems like the NPA would be fine continuing in much the same vein it is and trying to recruit new members from within TNP.  It always seems to me people's first thought is how to go to war with other nations, and being able to offer them some outlet would be a good idea I believe.  Especially if someone gives me a short way to do that in the TG's I'll be sending out to every UN nation.  ;)

I don't expect everyone to agree, at least people are discussing it now!! I realise there are members who are purely from TNP in the NPA, never said there wasn't!! Defending is only viable and appealing to those willing to be around at update which, for people in North America, is not a very convenient time!! I think that is a major factor in the inability of the NPA to attract numbers!! Secondly, many people find it boring!! All well and good to offer a "war concept" but it is not much of a war to be honest!!
I cannot singlehandedly disband the NPA as I said!! People are free to continue assisting with defenses whether the NPA exists or not!! I just thing time and resources could be better directed at keeping the TNP internal political/social scene growing and to recuit people into the RA!!
If someone steps up and revamps the NPA then that is great!! However, I do not see it as likely based on the past year and think it is time to disband the NPA and concentrate on other things!!

Thank you, Eras, for a reasoned response!!

You haven't shown me how it would leave us "pants down"!! I have asked you to expand on the concept but you refuse to do so and repeat the same statement over and over!! The disbanding of the NPA will have no detrimental effect on our regional security!!

How will we increase NPA numbers?! Have you not read a post I have made?! I think it should be disbanded as many attempts to recruit to the NPA have failed!! People charged with that job have said as much a number of times on this forum!!

R

I don't think you have read any of my statements nor those of others (FEC's comment above) that show that the NPA has no role in "defending" TNP!! Repeating the same falsehood over and over does not make it fact!! If you want to stop people taking us over, put an endorsement cap in place and police it!! It really is that simple!! If we get a rogue Delegate, there is really no defense that can prevent that!!

So, please explain to me how disbanding the NPA puts regional security at risk!! Regional security being keeping the elected Delegate in place!! If you could explain this to me then perhaps I can discuss the topic with you!! If you continue to refuse to elaborate on what it is you are talking about I will not repeat the same counters to the same statements ad nauseum!!
What you fail to understand is that the core members of the NPA are the very people who have dedicated their very activities to assring that The North Pacific doesn't ever end up in a fiasco like it did under the three rogue delegates, and especially that nasty old bug-bear, the NPD. So.........

OK, I let me rephrase the question for you:

1. What is your motivation for wanting to dismantle the NPA?

2. You seem to have disdain for defender activities - why?

3. What changes would you like to see as per the Consitution?

4. Would you prefer a more centralized form of government with power concentrated into fewer hand?

R

What you fail to understand is that the core members of the NPA are the very people who have dedicated their very activities to assring that The North Pacific doesn't ever end up in a fiasco like it did under the three rogue delegates, and especially that nasty old bug-bear, the NPD. So.........
And they will all still be here, NPA or no NPA!! Your point?! You have not shown how the region will be compromised with regards to regional security if the NPA is disbanded!! Can you please point out how this is so?! Paying attention to gameplay and not idealistic fantasy!!

OK, I let me rephrase the question for you:

1. What is your motivation for wanting to dismantle the NPA?

It has been an issue for a year or more!! It is not growing, it has no indigenous leadership!! Instead of wasting resources recruiting for it we should use that time to recruit for the RA and to keep our domestic political scene growing and active!!

2. You seem to have disdain for defender activities - why?

I don't believe I have said any such thing!! Having been a member of the NPA and been involved in defending off and on for my entire NS career I am uncertain as to where you drew such a conclusion!!

3. What changes would you like to see as per the Consitution?

With regards to the NPA?! Or in general?! With regards to the NPA, if it were to be disbanded the changes I'd like to see would be removal of all reference to the body from the Legal Code and Constitution!!
In general, I'd like to see the constitution simplified to enable more people to easily understand and access it!! I'd like to see all the editor's notes removed and the changes to the constitution documented by adding a reply to the thread containing the Constitution!! Other than that, no real plans for change, I tend to post ideas as they arise!!

4. Would you prefer a more centralized form of government with power concentrated into fewer hand?

R

No, the government system seems to work well although some of the Ministries could be merged into one office as they seem to overlap!!

Now is you could so kindly tell me how the NPA being disbanded would jeopardise the safety of the elected Delegate I would much apprciate it!!

Poltsamaa, I have a legitimate question (or two or three) about events more recent than the middle of last year when Tresville was Prime Minister for you.

Back on 18 February, you posted the following:

I have decided to resign as a member of the RA and as a registered voter also!! I have lost interest in NS and will most likely quit playing shortly!!

Have fun all!!

(link to post)

The record in the Ministry of Immigration and Internal Affairs and the archived thread in The North Pacific Library clearly document both your resignation and departure from the region in February and the fact that you returned just in time (on 8 April) so you would qualify as a candidate with a sufficient residency just prior to the beginning of the nomination period.

Can you explain why your resignation as a registered voter and from the Regional Assembly at the end of your term as Prime Minister (on 18 February) and your departure at that time from the North Pacific, makes you more qualified to hold office than any player that has remained here throughout this current term and has participated in the government (including the Regional Assembly)?

(P.S. I just hope you don't plan to become TNP's version of Harold Stassen.)

Poltsamaa, I have a legitimate question (or two or three) about events more recent than the middle of last year when Tresville was Prime Minister for you.

Back on 18 February, you posted the following:

I have decided to resign as a member of the RA and as a registered voter also!! I have lost interest in NS and will most likely quit playing shortly!!

Have fun all!!

(link to post)

The record in the Ministry of Immigration and Internal Affairs and the archived thread in The North Pacific Library clearly document both your resignation and departure from the region in February and the fact that you returned just in time (on 8 April) so you would qualify as a candidate with a sufficient residency just prior to the beginning of the nomination period.

Can you explain why your resignation as a registered voter and from the Regional Assembly at the end of your term as Prime Minister (on 18 February) and your departure at that time from the North Pacific, makes you more qualified to hold office than any player that has remained here throughout this current term and has participated in the government (including the Regional Assembly)?

(P.S. I just hope you don't plan to become TNP's version of Harold Stassen.)
I don't think I have claimed I am more qualified to become Prime Minister!! What constitutes "more qualified" is not something that is the same for everyone!! Do I think I have something positive to offer as PM?! Of course, I would not have run otherwise!! I believe my term as PM was a good one and the fact that people who were involved in the cabinet have asked me to run again speaks well for the rapport I developed with the cabinet during my term!! I am an experienced politician in NS, it is what keeps me playing the game and I believe electing me as PM is a positive for the region otherwise I would not have run!!

As for my resignation, I had served my term as Prime Minister and lost the election in a run-off to Flemingovia!! As I said in this thread, I felt the new government should be given the opportunity to do what they think is best without interference from me!! Also, I felt I had done all I could in NS and the game was a bit stale!! Bottom line, I needed a break!!
As for my return, I had no intention to run for PM until a few people asked me to do so!! Not a public reluctant candidate like Tresville, but if people asked me to run I thought I would do so!! I had no idea of the cut off date for nominations and did not realise I could run until it was pointed out to me!!
Lastly, nobody else had nominated at the time and I decided to get things moving knowling full well others would nominate if it looked like I was going to run uncontested!! Seems that was what happened!!

I have no idea who Harold Stassen is, but I'm assuming it is not a compliment!! ;)

Thanks for your question/statement and feel free to ask more if you wish!!

Harold Stassen is a successful American politician, army officer, and one of the creators of the United Nations; who knew the American North East better than the back of his hand. You should be thanking him for the comparison!!

The late Harold Stassen was also the youngest governor in the history of the US state of Minnesota (elected in the 1930s, IIRC), who ran nine times for President, as recently as 1992.

Of course, there's always Google!

Well, PM doesn't have a deputy but for the sake of answering your question!!

Sniffles, he cared enough to ask me to his prom!! :hug:

Ivan would not be interested in being Deputy to his lackey!!

Poltsy:
Now is you could so kindly tell me how the NPA being disbanded would jeopardise the safety of the elected Delegate I would much apprciate it!!

Very interesting. I've never been asked a question by a candidate in their campaign thread. First of all, you are responsible to answer questions that are posed to you by voters in your campaign thread, not the other way around.

As for the answer to your question. I'm just a stupid NPA footsoldier and defender who has spent my entire NationStates existance protecting The North Pacific and defending this region from all enemies, foreign and domestic. What the heck do I know? I'm just an ignorant defender.

As for you visions for a streamlined Constitution and combining of government , perhaps you would promote just replacing the whole system with a monarcy and just elect an "Emporer for life" as Delegate too?

Poltsamaa:
Very interesting. I've never been asked a question by a candidate in their campaign thread. First of all, you are responsible to answer questions that are posed to you by voters in your campaign thread, not the other way around.
Excuse the intrusion here, but Roman, Polts is allowed to ask for clarification in your statement. You continue to say the same thing without backing it up in any way. If you expect a candidate to respond to your concerns, perhaps you should provide some evidence or at least clear reasoning.

Oh.. and monarchy and Emperor for life don't actually work together I think ;)

The clarification is if the NPA is so inert and accomplishes nothing, why the sudden rush to disband it?

And replace it with what?

And all at the time when some very 'influential regions', as it were, are building up massively.

My point being is instead of abolishing the NPA, why not redefine it's mission so as to make it a real defensive organization?

Along the same line, and pardon the frankness of my opinion, but I suggest that it is a mighty foolish road to trod by destroying the only military organization that this region has and replacing it with nothing at all.

And another issue that is paramount is unneccessary tampering with a Constitution that so far has kept this region peaceful, orderly and stable.

To return, tit for tat, an implication that Poltsamaa levelled at me during the last election, my second question is: Are you trying to remake TNP into your own image?

I think that's a very fair question at this point.

R

Asking a question clarify an assertion made by the person questioning is perfectly reasonable, especially in light of the fact that you have repeated the statement a number of times yet not elaborated on it when I asked!! I cannot see how the disbading of the NPA will leave the region "pants down" so cannot answer your question effectively as it hinges on this concept being real, which I believe it is not!!

As for the answer to your question. I'm just a stupid NPA footsoldier and defender who has spent my entire NationStates existance protecting The North Pacific and defending this region from all enemies, foreign and domestic. What the heck do I know? I'm just an ignorant defender.

You didn't actually answer the question I asked at all!! I take it that you have no evidence to suggest the disbanding of the NPA will leave us "pants down" at all?!

As for you visions for a streamlined Constitution and combining of government , perhaps you would promote just replacing the whole system with a monarcy and just elect an "Emporer for life" as Delegate too?

You seem to have drawn a long bow here!! I said I'd seek to remove the editors notes and instead append a post to the Constitution thread outlining the changes and when they occurred!! This will prevent the Cosntitution filling with such notes but still enable people to access the nature of the changes and when they occurred!! Simplifying the language and making the Constitution more accessible to all is hardly tearing it shreds, but that is the same strawman you have used in the past elections, I was expecting it to show itself at some point!!

The clarification is if the NPA is so inert and accomplishes nothing, why the sudden rush to disband it?
Rush to disband it?! It has been a year!! The reason?! Despite repeated attempts to revive it, it has failed to grow and is not run by indigenous leadership!! Currently it follows other "defender groups" into defensive operations and I see no need for us to maintain a structured military if that structure is not used and there are very few people interested in taking part!!

And replace it with what?

Nothing!! People in the NPA who wish to defend can do so as they have been doing, it is not like the name defined their job or the enjoyment they get out of it!!

And all at the time when some very 'influential regions', as it were, are building up massively.

What does that have to do with us?! Do we have to keep up with Jones' or do we do our own thing based on what we feel is best for our region?!

My point being is instead of abolishing the NPA, why not redefine it's mission so as to make it a real defensive organization?

Redefine it how?! We have barely enough numbers to constitute an army!! It is already a defensive organisation of sorts but does not have its own means of generating missions or coordinating them due to lack of numbers and the fact that leadership is drawn from foreign armies!!

Along the same line, and pardon the frankness of my opinion, but I suggest that it is a mighty foolish road to trod by destroying the only military organization that this region has and replacing it with nothing at all.

I don't see why it is foolish, can you elaborate?! I think this draws back to the question I have been asking you all along that you have refused to answer!! Without your answer I cannot see any detrimental effect on the region from disbanding the NPA!!

And another issue that is paramount is unneccessary tampering with a Constitution that so far has kept this region peaceful, orderly and stable.

I'm hardly calling for it to be "tampered with", I am seeking that extraneous comments be removed and placed in separate posts withing the Constitution thread and that any overly wordy section be reviewed with the hope to make it easily understood by all rather than a small number who frequently translate it for the rest of us!! Again, the same strawman you alluded to in your last post!!

To return, tit for tat, an implication that Poltsamaa levelled at me during the last election, my second question is: Are you trying to remake TNP into your own image?

I think that's a very fair question at this point.

R

I don't recall saying anything of the sort to you during your last campaign!! Anyway, don't we all wish to see the region head in the direction we like?! Is there anything wrong with that?! Isn't that why we have an RA, to discuss and change things as the majority see fit?! Is this not the menas we have to prevent small groups pushing the region in one direction without support of the majority?! People have ideas about how they think the region should evolve and of course they wish to see those ideas come to fruition!! What exactly is "my image" in which I want the region cast?!

Poltsamaa:
Excuse the intrusion here, but Roman, Polts is allowed to ask for clarification in your statement. You continue to say the same thing without backing it up in any way. If you expect a candidate to respond to your concerns, perhaps you should provide some evidence or at least clear reasoning.

Oh.. and monarchy and Emperor for life don't actually work together I think ;)
Thank you for your timely intrusion!! ;)

I'm glad someone can see where I headed with this!! :P

My stance towards the NPO will be to leave them to run their region as they see fit, just like I expect others to leave us to run ours as we see fit!!

As for the lackey line, it is a long running joke that I am Moldavi's lackey and bereft of independent thought!! I thought I'd go along with it!!

My stance towards the NPO will be to leave them to run their region as they see fit, just like I expect others to leave to run ours as we see fit!!
Ok, thanks. If you felt that a region (not necessarily the NPO) was encroaching on our region's soverignty, what would be your response as PM?

Ok, thanks. If you felt that a region (not necessarily the NPO) was encroaching on our region's soverignty, what would be your response as PM?
I would contact the government of the offending region either directly or through the MoEA and seek a resolution to the situation privately!! Most often "encroachments" occur when one region does not realise the effect of their actions on another region!! I'd prefer this diplomatic approach to the approach taken by some members of the government in "that" recent incident!! ;)

If the offending region was beligerent then I would seek a cabinet or RA resolution to deal with the encroachment!! Not knowing specifics of the encroachment, it is difficult to go into any great detail as to the avenue with which to pursue a resolution!!

As far as foreign policy goes, I think we need to keep channels of communication open with as many regions as possible and not restrict ourselves to "like-minded" governments!! I would also look at strengthening the respect for foreign regions to run their regions as they see fit without any interference from us and to see that same respect returned by other regions!!

I know it is a bit of a generalisation, but I think we need to be proactive in opening doors to the regions of NS while at the same time being a bastion of respect for regional sovereignty!! External Affairs does not need to be forced, it should evolve!!

I think Foreign Affairs is (was?!) headed in the right direction thanks to Ministers who took pride in their job and were proactive!! I'd hate to see the region's foreign affairs slip to the levels we saw recently over recruiting in The Pacific (although the Minister of External Affairs was not involved or informed, rather a rogue group of Ministers decided to act alone!!)!! People with a fixed agenda and who act based on bias and distrust have no place in External Affairs!!

Foreign Affairs should be an avenue via which the region learns about and cooperates with various regions, it should not be an avenue via which certain individuals spread their propaganda and bias!!

Back