An alternative thought

Haor Chall

The Power of the Dark Side
TNP Nation
Haor Chall
I was thinking about this last night at work (well, there wasn't much else to do) and I had this idea. Essentially, to me it looks like a post-count based economy isn't going to work so I thought of an alternate way of doing things. Hopefully this will make sense...

Anyway, the idea was that everyone would get paid a "wage" (everyone being the RA's and stuff not foreign ambassadors or anyone else). The wage would be fairly minimal for RA's and then there would be increased salaries for NPA/DC members, Ministers, etc. Now the only problem with this (presuming it is workable) is the valuble time of our admins- whether Hers/Flem or a new 'banker' admin- but if wages were added say once a month, with around 50 RA's (I think...), that shouldn't be too bad to do perhaps?

There would then be services that people could spend their money on (like the forum ads) which would go into the government/bank/forum (I'm kinda using the three interchangably in this) and would then go towards paying everyones wages next month. The idea being that if we can break even on wages against money coming into the government then you can have a fixed amount of money in the system (although the amount of money to start with would be several times larger than the initial wages cost- enough to run without any gov. income for perhaps 4-5 months- because I imagine even if this does get off the ground we'd certainly start with a government deficit for a while). I'm not sure what other things the government/bank can do to actually raise money though- the MoAE could run a lottery with x amount to enter and half the money raised going as prize money and half to the government, or whatever.

The second way to raise money would be taxes. In many ways an income tax would be pointless but it would allow the government to reduce the amount to be spent on wages and therefore balance the books at some point in the future. The main thing however would be that if people want to set up a business (flag makers for example, or whatever) they would have to register their company with the bank and then pay VAT (or something similar) on every transaction. The Bank could offer loans (charging interest) as well although at the moment I'm not sure what anyone would want a loan for. Savings accounts are more difficult and I'm not sure they'd work at this stage.

So, does this sound feasible?

No, not really - personally, I was just waiting to see who else would post on this - see what ideas everyone had.

However, in a sense, getting paid for posting is pretty much like getting paid a wage, i.e. in that you'd be paid depending on how much you interacted. And, much like RL, it wouldn't necessarily be dependent on the quality of your posting/work either...

(@ all spamasters, inc. me, j/k ;) )

...it looks like a post-count based economy isn't going to work...
Considering RL economics it feels somewhat sci-fi that the money for wages would just "materialize" up from thin air. I'd compare posting to exploiting natural resources: the wealth would have some origin. The government could collect taxes from that personal income. The cabinet members' and others' wages would then be payed from governments account. All this would bring us another significant part of politics: the level of taxation vs. government budget balance.

Interesting idea! I would like to see more of a free market ecconomy develop and the idea of having flag makers, map makers, and the like be paid directly for their wares by the individual nation. This would be an accounting nightmare for the Mod's but at that point I believe that except for civil service jobs (NPA, Cabinet, and Cabinet support positions) there would be a fair field for taxation. RA members would recieve a small non-taxable honorarium for their work and the Delegate should be the highest paid individual in public service.

I'll ponder this some more

...it looks like a post-count based economy isn't going to work...
Considering RL economics it feels somewhat sci-fi that the money for wages would just "materialize" up from thin air. I'd compare posting to exploiting natural resources: the wealth would have some origin. The government could collect taxes from that personal income. The cabinet members' and others' wages would then be payed from governments account. All this would bring us another significant part of politics: the level of taxation vs. government budget balance.

Except... principally, this is not 'RL'. Anything we do is, to an extent, artificial and I think that post counts rise too quickly to be workable. Hersfold should be able to get the stats on how many posts there are a day.

Except... principally, this is not 'RL'. Anything we do is, to an extent, artificial and I think that post counts rise too quickly to be workable. Hersfold should be able to get the stats on how many posts there are a day.
Agreeing that the attributes we create to the game are artificial, I feel that creating things with resemblance with reality, those things have better basis to function. To slow down the post-count "inflation", I'd suggest that the amount recieved from a single post would be simply reduced to, say, 10 cents.

Haor Chall I do agree that this proposal is more interesting than the current post count-based system but I do doubt we can get anyone to administer it. :(

Well, I'm sure we'd find someone, somewhere. Really, since it would require access to the admin panel (and I'm not sure how well you can limit what they can access with invisionfree) it would have to be an appointed (by the existing forum admins) rather than elected position.

Well, I'm sure we'd find someone, somewhere. Really, since it would require access to the admin panel (and I'm not sure how well you can limit what they can access with invisionfree) it would have to be an appointed (by the existing forum admins) rather than elected position.
Admin panel is an all-or-nothing proposition. One of the admin would have to do it, between Flemingovia or Grosseschnauzer who do you think you can sucker into it?

Back