Proposal for a Virtual Stock Exchange

AlHoma

TNPer
I propose that we set up a Virtual Stock Exchange for the citizens of The North Pacific.

The scheme would work thus

When you buy in you get $100,000 TNP dollars to spend ($1TNP=$1USD)
All transactions (buying/selling) are subject to a $5TNP commision fee.
All shares must be bought in whole share increments with the following exceptions
1. A split or reverse split in the company
2. Purchase of more shares of the same company at a different price
At the end of the month, the contestant with the greatest cash-out value of their portfolio will recieve a prize of either a signature tag or a post count increase (subject to MoAE guidelines)
Currency conversion rates will be established on the last day of the trading period for all appropriate markets.
A player may only play on one currency market (USD,London Pound Sterling, Euro, Yen, etc.) for the duration of a trading session. Should any player wish to switch to annother currency market at the end of a trading session, a message must be posted on their thread indicating which currency they wish to switch to no later than 2 days before the trading session ends.

I already have the framework up for automating the system from the previous iteration. If this is something that the community would like please let me know.

Intriguing idea. I'm presuming the idea is that you'd buy 'virtual' shares based on real ones from an existing stock exchange - eg FTSE, Nasdaq, DAX etc, and then see how they perform over a set period?

It'd be interesting to see how this would tie into the economy of the region too...

Who would control all this? e.g act as stockbroker etc.

And how?

Intriguing idea. I'm presuming the idea is that you'd buy 'virtual' shares based on real ones from an existing stock exchange - eg FTSE, Nasdaq, DAX etc, and then see how they perform over a set period?

It'd be interesting to see how this would tie into the economy of the region too...

Who would control all this? e.g act as stockbroker etc.

And how?
1. That's Right. As long as I can get it through Yahoo Finance, then you can invest on the market.

2. I'd act as stockbroker. People would post their requests and I'll act on them at approximateley 2200hrs GMT (10:00 PM GMT) I know that some markets will be open at that point but I'll take the readings then to be fair to everyone.

It sounds like a very interesting idea, but with some holes that need to get patched up. Send a PM to IndieGirl (the minister here) sharing this idea and we'll see what she thinks. As the deputy, I support this wholeheartedly, but ultimately this is her call.

What if we were to run it with TNP money. You could invest your TNP money instead of getting money and just have it work that way. Would help get the economy going.

I'd be opposed to the using of the sidebar money because people will have different amounts because old residents and spammers will have a large leg up on the rest of us. Start the epoch off fairly.

I'd be opposed to the using of the sidebar money because people will have different amounts because old residents and spammers will have a large leg up on the rest of us. Start the epoch off fairly.
But that gives nations an incentive to participate on the forum. New nations who like the idea of the stocks will post to get more money and therefore increase the chance of getting more active members on the forum.

I'd be opposed to the using of the sidebar money because ..[of]... different amounts ...[that people start with]...
But that gives nations an incentive to participate on the forum. New nations who like the idea of the stocks will post to get more money and therefore increase the chance of getting more active members on the forum.
So the user has to transfer a portion of their balance into the exchange account (So I can get a baseline) and can withdraw/deposit only at the end of a trading session (that way someone with a huge spamming spree doesn't fix the market). This would mean constant back and forth for the administrators to change the individual's bank balance.

If the admins want to do that that's fine with me...

Please don't tie this game to the amount of NP dollars that I have - like $50 so far. Besides, with my stock-picking skills, it'll only take a couple rounds of competition for you all to realize the way to a quick profit will be to short every stock I pick...

Great idea though, sounds like a LOT of work for the organizer.

What happened to our Olympics? The thread just seems to have died. I'd love to see someone take this idea of a market, and apply it to the "Athlete Picking" portion of the olympics - make ot more of a Fantasy League - where we'd have to think very carefully about which athletes we decided to purchase (sponsor) from each of our countries.

Please don't tie this game to the amount of NP dollars that I have - like $50 so far. Besides, with my stock-picking skills, it'll only take a couple rounds of competition for you all to realize the way to a quick profit will be to short every stock I pick...

Great idea though, sounds like a LOT of work for the organizer.

What happened to our Olympics? The thread just seems to have died. I'd love to see someone take this idea of a market, and apply it to the "Athlete Picking" portion of the olympics - make ot more of a Fantasy League - where we'd have to think very carefully about which athletes we decided to purchase (sponsor) from each of our countries.
Then post more :P

But the easiest way to tie stocks to the olympics is to tie both to a universal medium - TNP dollars.

This way we reward active members of the community. And if you are really good @ the stock market, you can easily double/triple your money.

Seems like a lot of work for the organizer

Not really. I have a webpage that does all the calculations of (Price/Value/Profit/etc.). The only dificult portions are when someone does a purchase or sell. But as I said before if the people want the "competition" then we can do it with whatever baseline valueation system they want.

In Haor Chall's post about a generalized economy for the region I think that his "central bank" would be the adminsitrator that I would need for adjusting player's balances based on their transfers.

Man, my ideas always sound better when elucidated by other people. :lol:

I remember posting something along these lines before.

I think this is a good idea -- the BEST stock exchange idea is when we use real life companies. That way we don't have to make stuff up about whether a stock goes up or down, and this means it's NOT prone to any funny business/price manipulation.

How bout this for a compromise? We all get a set amount when we buy in, but we can transfer up to X% of the TNP money we have IN THE BANK right now.

That way, if people want to maximize their money pool, they have some incentive to participate, but we won't lock out all the newbies.

So is there a reason why the administrators of the board are sitting on this proposal?
I would suggest PMing Hersfold for an update on the status of this. He's a busy guy. I often found a gentle reminder helpful when I was a TNP forum admin.

I would remind certain members of this discussion, who shall go unnamed (*cough*FedeleandGrenval*cough*) that we do obey the ToS on this forum. ;)

Sorry, I really have not had the change to do much with this... at all... over the past few weeks. It's been a bit hectic on my end, and this forum tended to get overlooked as a result.

This sounds like a very good idea, and I do think we can start doing this pretty soon. The one thing is, though, it sounds like we were planning on doing this on a daily basis. I know that's how the actual stock market is done, but most of the stock market these days is done automatically - there's nobody having to manually fork out the cash. I do assume that they don't get any cash for stocks until they actually sell them back, but there's still likely to be a bit of traffic on this each day.

So if we're going to do this, someone is going to have to keep track of everything. Alhoma, you've already volunteered to serve as Stockbroker, so if you're still willing to do that, it's settled. I'll need daily or near-daily PM's on who needs cash changed. I may not be able to act on them each day, but all transactions will be completed eventually.

So let's get this going!

I think this might have been a bit confused.

Each player will get to transfer a amount of their balance in the main account to their bank account at the end of the playing session (Last Weekend of the Month). The players can make individual changes to their portfolios during the session, but can't transfer in or out until the End of the Session.

As made appearant, the generation of the valuation is easy to do through the script I wrote.

I would remind certain members of this discussion, who shall go unnamed (*cough*FedeleandGrenval*cough*) that we do obey the ToS on this forum. ;)
Well I don't want to be compared to Fedele, so I guess I'll have to start obeying those horrid ties that bind, otherwise known as rules.

:noangel:

I think this might have been a bit confused.

Each player will get to transfer a amount of their balance in the main account to their bank account at the end of the playing session (Last Weekend of the Month). The players can make individual changes to their portfolios during the session, but can't transfer in or out until the End of the Session.

As made appearant, the generation of the valuation is easy to do through the script I wrote.
So you're saying that during the "session" (a week or a month), players may only buy and sell but cannot transfer their stock-market money to their "hard money" account until the end of the week/month?

Ok... so I pretty much only have to deal with this once a month, then? Ok, then, that's much more practical. Maybe it should be a bit shorter than a month, though? That's an awfully long time to have to wait for your cash to roll in from something you sold three weeks ago.

I'm flexible with the time period, however I'd prefer to do it in month long sessions because

1. Individual players won't be susicptable to daily-microswings of the global market.
2. It gives players a chance to "invest for the long haul"
3. Players can post their individual trades of stock daily
4. Playerc can post their hard cash transfers whenever they like (they just won't be acted apon untill the set time)
5. It keeps the competition fierce.

I wouldn't mind it happening weekly, so it would give you a chance to put in more money, or less, depending on how the market is going or how much money you have.

It sounds like we have a general concensus. Do we need to put this in the form of a piece of legislation, or do we just want to sit down and define the rules?

Please remember that this should be considered a long term investment and that the value of your shares can go up as well as down...

(you have no idea how often I hear that)

We definitely need some sort of ruleage just to define the terms, but I wouldn't necessarily say legislation. Having said that however, there should be something to ensure that it is constrolled and administered correctly. Some form of ombudman/FSA type body.

Also, what happens if there's a Black Wednesday type situation, and the value of stocks takes a massive nosedive, crashing the entire economy with it? (A bit far-fetched maybe - but you never know...)

nb. FSA = the Financial Services Authority

Eh... I'd prefer having someone separate doing all this, just so that the Ministers have less to do.

Maybe a bill could be passed in the legal code establishing all this and requiring the PM to appoint some officer to be in charge of the stock market. They wouldn't hold any official rank (unless they already were in another gov't position anyway), but they would be in charge of keeping track of all stock transactions and reporting changes to the admins as needed.

Also, what happens if there's a Black Wednesday type situation, and the value of stocks takes a massive nosedive, crashing the entire economy with it? (A bit far-fetched maybe - but you never know...)

If the maket does take such a nosedive, which it's unlikeley to do (it favors stability now that some more regulations are in place), prettymuch everybody will be all in the same boat. They can still put money in but they can't pull out the money that they've lost. Unless of course, we make this a pureley educational/entertainment excersise and give everybody the exact same to start and keep it seperate from the "forum" economy.

Ator People:
I'm sure it would fall under the jurisdiction of a ministry. MoA&E perhaps?

If you go to the MoA&E office forum you will see this thread as having originated there. I originally saw it as a fun thing for the forum users, but now I see it as part of the economy.

Blackshear:
Needlessly complex. AlHoma has already said he's run this thing. Let him. This year.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

For the record, I am very supportive of this move.

EXACTLY! Hey, I am a very oldie in NS and I swing by when I can to keep active, but if I had the cnace to invest in TNP....my activity woudl swing way up.

I've watched the discussion here since it began.

As many people may already know, this idea was first tried in TNPG and later in The Lexicon - with Alhoma contributing greatly to the running of it. When IP and I first had this idea we often thought about an inter-regional competition.

I wonder if there would be any interest in a sort of competition between The Lexicon and The North Pacific?

My idea is that a 'team' of stock pickers from each region would manage a regional portfolio. The way each region manages that can of course be quite separate/different.

The parameters would be set at the beginning and then a time period set, with the 'winner' determined presumably based on growth in the respective portfolios.

Back