Economic theory discussion

Got it in one. Hers.

If this was a privately hosted forum, I could actually hard code that functionality into the forum itself.

As it stands, I think we're a bit stuck.
You mentioned earlier a script hosted off-site... if we modified this and then put it an another site, would it work then? Or would the "Save" function still not exist?

@ Dei - I think I get it... I'll read it through a little more throughly later... :P

@ Barmaid - I wouldn't object, but we'd have to find some way to keep track of how many posts everyone made during each Tax Season. It's a good idea, but maybe a little impractical for what we have to work with.

@ VB - I'm not so sure about that. The definition you gave pretty much says that vote-buying is not only acceptable, but a major part of the economy.

Edit: ACK! Sorry, Veebs...

@ IP - I'm not so sure about that. The definition you gave pretty much says that vote-buying is not only acceptable, but a major part of the economy.
I dunno if you meant VB Hers but I'll operate under the assumption you did :)

I don't believe that a gift economy would necessarily promote vote-buying; that depends on the means of reciprocal exchange and the attitudes of those involved in the system. It may well already operate here in a sense if you count flattery and offered friendship as gifts. Of course there's nothing anyone can do about discouraging that because it's perfectly acceptable to the majority of people ;)
I think that anyone with even only a small degree of integrity would discourage vote-buying and with fair punishment measures in place for those who indulge in that activity I can't see any reason not to have a gift economy. For one thing it completely bypasses an arbitrary standard such as money, or gold or something, and for another, it could encourage a greater sense of community between our members.

:2c: lol! ;)

EDIT: Not that I'm saying we would need to remove a monetary system entirely.

Sorry, Veebs! Yes, I meant you... I'm not quite sure why I thought I was talking to IP... :duh:

Hmm... I still personally like the thought of a total economy better. No offense....

Back