Indie's Inanities

Weekend Update:

Ummm....let's see. I didn't write anything new. Though there was a lot of revising old poetry. I'm trying to put together a manuscript for a book which I've apprehensively entitled "Mercurial." It'll be mostly comprised of my favorite pieces from the batch I wrote during a rather emotionally telling previous relationship. It's at least the most complete body of work that I have, because it's a time period with a definitive beginning, middle and end. I'm working on it with my poetry comp. professor, who has been an invaluable resource as far as that goes. She stretches me with my work. A lot. It's great.

Went up to Grandma's yesterday, and helped put in a sprinkling system. Girl howdy, with all the yardwork I've been doing these days, you should see my guns. I'm ripped - and better - tan. Woohoo! However, I'm totally aching, because I got to be the trench-digger. I should have been in the army. Or a migrant worker. (I think I'm going to hell. It's my Utah-native elitist white republican fear-of-diversity upbringing. (Are you Hispanic or Illiterate? Oh wait...) <--- SEE?!?!? I can't help it. ERRR I could, but choose not too. I mean, why quit if you have a good excuse? :lol:)

Anyway, yes. That's it for now. Not much else...oh, one thing cool - we went up to the Logan Cemetary to leave flowers for my two Grandpas and Grandma, and my 4 uncles and aunt and everything. It was really cool. I was talking to Grandma (the one who's still alive) about what it was like to lose 5 babies to stillbirth. And she was talking about the amazing lessons it taught her and as she barely finished talking, some guy about 50 feet away, who I hadn't noticed, started playing "Scotland the Brave" on his bagpipes. It was awesome, because my Mom's family spent 5 years living in Scotland while my Grandpa built churches. I have decided that the bagpipes is one of my very favorite sounds in the world, and I REALLY want to learn how to play them.

Last item of business: X3

I hated it. It made me want to punch people. And I spent the whole movie with my friends telling me to stop crying and yelling at the screen, because the actors couldn't hear me. I you have any sort of affection for the real X-men stories, don't see it. It's not worth the money. Sigh.

Oh wait, one more thing - I love OPA. Especially at 6:30 in the morning. ;)

Shhhhhhhh. Don't mention Barcelona. I did once, but I think i got away with it.

basil.jpg

:rofl:

Oh, hooray for the Ministry of Funny Walks! Flem, you little know how much that single image has just brightened my day. I owe you one. :D

In other news, random IG quote from class today:

So, the question was: What gives you the right to write poetry? How do you start a poem? What do you have to say that is more interesting than the process of the paper's creation?

Nothing does, really. I write because I have to. In my life, only two things are imperative: to breathe, and to write. T.S. Eliot once said that "Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things."

I can't remember who said it, but one of my favorite poetry quotes says something along these lines:"A poet is someone who, in a lifetime of standing in out in thunderstorms, manages to get struck by lightning seven or eight times."

At the end of the day, I don't know what gives me the right to write poetry. I do know, however, that the desire to write it, for me, is insatiable. I am continuously compelled into some form of verbally constructing my life, my keen feelings, my moments of glory and agony, into something solid. Something I can wrap my mind around, and feel pour out of me onto the page. For me, in so many ways, writing poetry is a kind of exorcism. Of coping. Of reaction. Of catching the smoke of subconscious thought in my fingertips. It's gold-panning for the occasional eternal ideas that so often in life lie just beneath the surface of things.

If I cannot tell me to you in some distilled and simple way, how will you ever hope to know me?

Yawn. Today is my last day of my stint as a temporary full-time employee. It's been three months, and I can tell you right now, I'm wholeheartedly sick of it. Sure, the money's great, but when you have no time for anything but your job, you realize how much life must blow for your dad, or your other friends who seem to work ALL THE TIME. It's been impossible for anyone to play with me, and I miss my friends. Hooray for having the afternoons and evenings back to myself. At least temporarily. I think it's time for Chelly Bean, here, to find herself a new job.

Go figure it happens the same week I finally get the last of my music collection downloaded to my iTunes. (Can we say junkie? I'm currently at 84.6 straight days of music, capacity-wise.)

Number B) Huzzah for invisionfree getting me extra credit in school. I set up a forum for my class, and everyone's so impressed at my tech skills. :eyeroll: At least spending roughly all of 2004 online wasn't a complete waste of my life... >_<

Rhino is hiring currently, and I like the idea of working retail at a game store, however, I'd prefer to be accepted at Gamerz Edge (poser name, I know) which is a local gamers "mom n' pop" if you will. I mean, since I lost the ability to hang out at the D&D shelf in Media Play when they went out of business...I figure I'll take the next best thing. I dunno. I should check out the old record store and see if they need some summer help again. That was the best job. Nothing like an employee discount for a music addict to get an adequate fix and still afford to pay the phone bill.

Yawn. 2 more hours. Then I can go home and play Fable. I can make it!

:P Jerk.

Bored at work...poetizing:

Tibial

Concussed and twisty
In mindstrand filigrees;

It goes like this, in bonespeak:
A marrow to calcium eke.

Earthshatter wind trumpet
Wound recumbant

Against the sweat of
Each irresolve.

Disillusionment fingered wrought
Tumblethoughts,

Clickclattering in my handsight
Like marbles, frozen bits of light.

Eager, eager in skinwhispers;
Breath the satiate of an occasional fester.

Where is my poette? The process of my Keats?
I glue the twowords, a new project: retreat.

I yearn for some Shelleied, metric humming,
A pourous abandonment in my Cummings.

Murmurflesh garbles, devours them meward:
So secret in stumblepen; anxious to be heard.

Well, the workplace doesn't agree with YOU either. At least, not most of them. :lol:

Don't have much time to post today, the marketing department is filming in our area today, so even on break we still have to look like we're working. I'll post later today, if I can weasel computer time from the family. Sigh. I really need my own. I hate having no money.

This will not make much sense (and having no paragraphs helps that):

It was such an odd dream. I can only remember it in snippets. Dylan following me home one day, me completely unaware...In no town I've ever been in. I had stolen two axes from a firetruck at a crash scene because some crazed insurance saleman had purposely ran into one of his clients for some reason or another, and I THINK Dylan had been hanging around watching the scene, and happened to see me. He kept calling me, and I pretended to ignore him, just to see if it would irritate him. I ran (the axes gone now, no idea where) to this brick townhouse, in the front door. The main floor of it was some sort of art gallery, and my apartment/room was in the basement, where I kept all these statue things I was working on. The game was to hide from him, so I ran down the back stairs into my apartment, and locked the door. There was something I didn't want him to see...I didn't want him to see me the way I was...which was odd, because I don't remember anything being different at all. There were lilacs growing in a corner of the room, and it was messy, because of all my projects. Anyway, he suddenly comes in the back door of the apartment and knocks over all these statues that I had just finished arranging...OH! And there were suddenly these two creepy ex girlfriends of his there in the basement, and they were all yelling at me, and shoving my stuff around while I was trying to fix the ruffle on the hem of one of the statues that had been broken, and he took my hand and was like, "let's get out of here" and we ran upstairs and suddenly all of my friends from church were there in the gallery, and there was this weird party going on, and he was still holding my hand. A bunch of my old friends from high school were there too...old boyfriends, and Dylan and I went from table to table, talking to them, introducing them all, and I was happy, and everyone kept saying how happy I was, and David Bowie was performing a small cafe-esque type of concert on a tiny stage at the back of the room, and even HE noticed, and decided to take pictures of us. And Dylan kept pulling faces and making me laugh, and he never let go of my hand. We were talking to my old boyfriend Dave, and playing a game or something, and he was like, yeah, but he's not as hot as I am, and I was like, whatever! And I made Dylan take off his shirt to prove it. And I was right. We left Dave and Collin, I think it was, and walked around...and he gave me a piggyback ride and we went outside and there was like, glitter in the air or something, because everything was sparkly, and it was late sunset and we were in a park and everything was green and orange and purple and red and glittery and we laid down on the grass and watched the sun spin away from us as the world threw itself into the stars.

And I know none of that made much sense. But it does to me, because I can still see the images in my head. It was a cool dream. I woke up happy, if not a little weirded out. :)

So yes. That was the most eventful thing that happened to me this weekend. Other than painting half of my room and then sleeping in it with the door shut and no ventilation, which I think contributed to the oddness of the dream. I wrote some poetry, but I don't have it with me, so I can't share it. I will post it later.

Meanwhile, I'm at work, pretending I don't hate my job and humming along to my rather loud music.

I have five minutes to crank out some semblance of a cool blog post. (Okay, fine, it doesn't need the semblance of cool...like any of my other entries fit that category...)

I hate my job. Truly, I do. I've been such a slacker the past couple of weeks, coming in late and leaving waaaaay early, just to spare my coworkers the problem of me punching them all. In the face. Till they're not...alive anymore. And it also spares me from gouging my eyes out with a plastic spoon. I need to take up...I dunno. Spearfighting.

Some people need to go get an ice cream sandwich. I mean new job. Chelsea needs to go get an ice cream job. I mean sandwich. I mean - d'oh.

Also, if you ever questioned the validity of the claim in the song "Dead Puppies", here's something to set the record straight:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13205576/

My room is offically half-painted. And completely clean.

I'm actually thinking of selling my KOTOR games to get some new ones because I have no money.

AND...

I'm going fishing this afternoon because they've finally changed the fish licensing, so that it doesn't expire Dec 31, but one year from the day you bought the license. WHICH IS AWESOME. Because now I can fish all year. Instead of just for 6 months, which is what normally happens.

Did I mention I hate my job? I do.

I have to give a presentation in my poetry class tomorrow about Gertrude Stein, her style and influences and stuff. I've been researching quotes of hers, and thought I'd put some here to keep and share.

“The minute you or anybody else knows what you are you are not it, you are what you or anybody else knows you are and as everything in living is made up of finding out what you are it is extraordinarily difficult really not to know what you are and yet to be that thing.”

“I do want to get rich, but I never want to do what there is to get rich.”

“The composition is the thing seen by everyone living in the living they are doing, they are the composing of the composition that at the time they are living is the composition of the time in which they are living.”

“If you can do it then why do it?”

“A masterpiece... may be unwelcome but it is never dull.”

“A writer should write with his eyes and a painter paint with his ears.”

“Everybody knows if you are too careful you are so occupied in being careful that you are sure to stumble over something.”

“I like a view but I like to sit with my back turned to it.”

“It takes a lot of time to be a genius, you have to sit around so much doing nothing, really doing nothing.”

“Let me listen to me and not to them.”

“Money is always there but the pockets change; it is not in the same pockets after a change, and that is all there is to say about money.”

“The contemporary thing in art and literature is the thing which doesn't make enough difference to the people of that generation so that they can accept it or reject it.”

“There ain't no answer. There ain't gonna be any answer. There never has been an answer. That's the answer.”

“What is the answer? In that case, what is the question?”

“When they are alone they want to be with others, and when they are with others they want to be alone. After all, human beings are like that.”

“A beauty is not suddenly in a circle. It comes with rapture. A great deal of beauty is rapture. A circle is a necessity. Otherwise you would see no one. We each have our circle.”

“Romance is everything.”

“Adventure is making the distant approach nearer
but romance is having what is where it is which is not
where you are stay where it is.”

“It does make a big difference, it is why Robin Hood lives,
crime if you know the reason if you know the motive
if you can understand the character if it is not a
normal one is not interesting a crime in itself is
not interesting it is only there and when it is there
everybody has to take notice of it. It is important
in that way but in every other way it is not
important.”

“It is very natural that every one who makes anything inside themselves that is makes it entirely out of what is in them does naturally have to have two civilizations. They have to have the civilization that makes them and the civilization that has nothing to do with them.”

“... anybody is as their land and air is. Anybody is as the sky is low or high, the air heavy or clear and anybody is as there is wind or no wind there. It is that which makes them and the arts they make and the work they do and the way they eat and the way they drink and the way they learn and everything.”

“Action and reaction are equal and opposite.”

“There are two kinds of liars the kind that lie and the kind that don’t lie the kind that lie are no good.”

“It is richly held
To be not all for it
Because
Idleness is no blessing”

“No sense in no sense innocence of what of not and what of delight. In no sense innocence in no sense and what in delight and not, in no sense innocence in no sense no sense what, in no sense and delight, and in no sense and delight and not in no sense and delight and not, no sense in no sense innocence and delight.”

“It is always a mistake to be plain-spoken.”

“There are of course people who are more important than others in that they have more importance in the world but this is not essential and it ceases to be. I have no sense of difference in this respect because every human being comprises the combination form.”

“I like a thing simple but it must be simple through complication. Everything must come into your scheme, otherwise you cannot achieve real simplicity.”

“Human beings are interested in two things. They are interested in the reality and interested in telling about it.”

“When I sleep I sleep and do not dream because it is as well
that I am what I seem when I am in my bed and
dream.”

“Success is the result achieved when nobody answers.”

“... the creator of the new composition in the arts is an outlaw until he is a classic.”

“No one is ahead of his time, it is only that the particular variety of creating his time is the one that his contemporaries who are also creating their own time refuse to accept.... For a very long time everybody refuses and then almost without a pause almost everybody accepts. In the history of the refused in the arts and literature the rapidity of the change is always startling.”

“There is singularly nothing that makes a difference a difference in beginning and in the middle and in ending except that each generation has something different at which they are all looking. By this I mean so simply that anybody knows it that composition is the difference which makes each and all of them then different from other generations and this is what makes everything different otherwise they are all alike and everybody knows it because everybody says it.”

“Poetry consists in a rhyming dictionary and things seen.”

“It is funny the two things most men are proudest of is the thing that any man can do and doing does in the same way, that is being drunk and being the father of their son.”

“Before one is successful that is before any one is ready to pay money for anything you do then you are certain that every word you have written is an important word to have written and that any word you have written is as important as any other word and you keep everything you have written with great care.”

“Would I if I could by pushing a button would I kill five
thousand Chinamen if I could save my brother from
anything. Well I was very fond of my brother and I
could completely imagine his suffering and I replied
that five thousand Chinamen was something I could not
imagine and so it was not interesting. One has to
remember that about imagination, that is when the
world gets dull when everybody does not know what
they can or what they cannot really imagine.”

“A real failure does not need an excuse. It is an end in itself.”

“Clarity is of no importance because nobody listens and
nobody knows what you mean no matter what you mean,
nor how clearly you mean what you mean. But if you
have vitality enough of knowing enough of what you
mean, somebody and sometime and sometimes a great
many will have to realize that you know what you mean
and so they will agree that you mean what you know,
what you know you mean, which is as near as anybody
can come to understanding any one.”

“Poetry is I say essentially a vocabulary just as prose is essentially not. And what is the vocabulary of which poetry absolutely is. It is a vocabulary based on the noun as prose is essentially and determinately and vigorously not based on the noun. Poetry is concerned with using with abusing, with losing with wanting with denying with avoiding with adoring with replacing the noun. It is doing that always doing that, doing that doing nothing but that. Poetry is doing nothing but using losing refusing and pleasing and betraying and caressing nouns.... So that is poetry really loving the name of anything and that is not prose.”

“Supposing everyone lived at one time what would they say. They would observe that stringing string beans is universal.”

“If you are looking down while you are walking it is better to walk up hill the ground is nearer.”

“One of the pleasant things those of us who write or paint do is to have the daily miracle. It does come.”

“Sentences and paragraphs. Sentences are not emotional but paragraphs are. I can say that as often as I like and it always remains as it is, something that is. I said I found this out first in listening to Basket my dog drinking. And anybody listening to any dog’s drinking will see what I mean.”

“Language as a real thing is not imitation either of sounds or colors or emotions it is an intellectual recreation and there is no possible doubt about it and it is going to go on being that as long as humanity is anything.”

“Poetry is concerned with using with abusing, with losing
with wanting, with denying with avoiding with adoring
with replacing the noun. It is doing that always
doing that, doing that and doing nothing but that.
Poetry is doing nothing but using losing refusing and
pleasing and betraying and caressing nouns. That is
what poetry does, that is what poetry has to do no
matter what kind of poetry it is. And there are a
great many kinds of poetry.”

“The question mark is alright when it is all alone when it
is used as a brand on cattle or when it could be used
in decoration but connected with writing it is
completely entirely completely uninteresting.... A
question is a question, anybody can know that a
question is a question and so why add to it the
question mark when it is already there when the
question is already there in the writing.”

“When I said.
A rose is a rose is a rose.
And then later made that into a ring I made poetry and what
did I do I caressed completely caressed and addressed
a noun.”

“Honesty is a selfish virtue. Yes I am honest enough.”

“The whole duty of man consists in being reasonable and just.... I am reasonable because I know the difference between understanding and not understanding and I am just because I have no opinion about things I don’t understand.”

“A writer must always try to have a philosophy and he should also have a psychology and a philology and many other things. Without a philosophy and a psychology and all these various other things he is not really worthy of being called a writer. I agree with Kant and Schopenhauer and Plato and Spinoza and that is quite enough to be called a philosophy. But then of course a philosophy is not the same thing as a style.”

"The essence of being a genius is to be able to talk and listen to listen while talking and talk while listening but and this is very important very important indeed talking has nothing to do with creation."

"If you do not remember while you are writing, it may seem confused to others but actually it is clear and eventually that clarity will be clear, that is what a master-piece is, but if you remember while you are writing it will seem clear at the time to any one but the clarity will go out of it that is what a master- piece is not."

"I am I because my little dog knows me but, creatively speaking the little dog knowing that you are you and your recognising that he knows, that is what destroys creation. That is what makes school."

"One cannot come back too often to the question what is knowledge and to the answer knowledge is what one knows.... Knowledge is the thing you know and how can you know more than you do know."

"I know of only one mystical poem that is satisfactorily successful, The Obscure Night of the Soul, by St. John of the Cross. In that amazing poem, what is said counts for almost nothing, but is sublimated into the purposed significance. The artist does not intend to go so far as that, but in seeking an incorruptible unity, he is always something of a mystic. Unlike the mystic, he clings to the world of things, though he transmutes it. He can never say the whole of what he means, but the mystic cannot say at all what he means; for his meaning is something singular and indivisible, something absolute in its inexpressibility. The simple lover in Cyrano can only say “I love you,” but the poet Cyrano can say the same thing in a hundred elaborate ways."

"There used to be a thing or a commodity we put great store by. It was called the People. Find out where the People have gone. I don’t mean the square-eyed toothpaste-and-hair-dye people or the new-car-or-bust people, or the success-and-coronary people. Maybe they never existed, but if there ever were the People, that’s the commodity the Declaration was talking about, and Mr. Lincoln."

"We are lonesome animals. We spend all our life trying to be less lonesome. One of our ancient methods is to tell a story begging the listener to say—and to feel—”Yes, that’s the way it is, or at least that’s the way I feel it. You’re not as alone as you thought.”"

"The discipline of the written word punishes both stupidity and dishonesty."

"It is true that we are weak and sick and ugly and quarrelsome but if that is all we ever were, we would millenniums ago have disappeared from the face of the earth."

"A book is like a man—clever and dull, brave and cowardly, beautiful and ugly. For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun."

"Even while I protest the assembly-line production of our food, our songs, our language, and eventually our souls, I know that it was a rare home that baked good bread in the old days. Mother’s cooking was with rare exceptions poor, that good unpasteurized milk touched only by flies and bits of manure crawled with bacteria, the healthy old-time life was riddled with aches, sudden death from unknown causes, and that sweet local speech I mourn was the child of illiteracy and ignorance. It is the nature of a man as he grows older, a small bridge in time, to protest against change, particularly change for the better."

"When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked.... In other words, I don’t improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable."

"Time is the only critic without ambition."

"Adolescents sometimes say...”My friends listen to me, but my parents only hear me talk.” Often they are right. Familiarity breeds inattention."

"Parents sometimes feel that if they don’t criticize their child, their child will never learn. Criticism doesn’t make people want to change; it makes them defensive."

And my favorite:

Communists are people who fancied that they had an unhappy childhood.

"Our despair is domesticated and gives us peace. Only hope remains. Wild hopes, their screams shatter the night and rip up the day." - Yehuda Amichai

Shattered nights. I've been building piles of crumbling emotion around the shattered nights I've been wading through. Shattered by hope, it's an interesting idea. How often the compilation of big dreams becomes the weight we break our backs to carry.

I have been thinking. A lot of thinking...about...things. Can I explain it? Can you hope to understand, and...if you did...would it really matter? Would any of it really matter to you, and make a difference?

They flutter behind you, your possible pasts...some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost...She stood in the doorway, the ghost of a smile haunting her face like a cheap hotel sign. Her cold eyes imploring the men in their macks for the gold in their bags, or the knives in their backs.

I've always loved that line, the imagery and way it's worded: "The ghost of a smile haunting her face like a cheap hotel sign." Can't you see it? It's a perfect image. A sad...image. It's a good simile. Normally I don't like similes. Don't ask me why.

Somedays my life is a pile of disjointed quotes whose interplay and relationships only make sense to, well, me.

Oh, it's been tempting. So tempting this past week. But I will let it waver and settle in the amber of uncertainty until it becomes tepid and hard, and I can chip it out and throw it away. Or against something, watch it, too, shatter. Explosions into a thousand shards of each thing I tuck away with a doubt and a whimper. Some days I am amber-full, like an old tree, hoarding the pieces of things caught in my slow-to-change way. Maybe some day I'll find them again, and hold them up to the light, seeing them in a different way that the one they've settled in so comfortably now.

"Clarity is of no importance because nobody listens and nobody knows what you mean no matter what you mean, nor how clearly you mean what you mean. But if you have vitality enough of knowing enough of what you mean, somebody and sometime and sometimes a great many will have to realize that you know what you mean and so they will agree that you mean what you know, what you know you mean, which is as near as anybody can come to understanding anyone." - Gertrude Stein

I struggle in the quagmire of wishing it all knew what I meant. What I know. Of knowing what I wish it all means. Of meaning what I wished it all knew. It only winds tighter the further up and further in you go.

What do I mean? It breaks so easily along the weakest lines of things. When you move enough times in, over, across, beyond, through some things, you only weaken them. And they will fall apart. It's not that you intended its breaking. It's that you loved it so much it could only ever be broken.

"A reassuring platitude: "I love you" became the constantly-handled coinage of a relationship daily devaluing itself."

I wrote that once, in a poem. I don't know why it keeps coming to the front of my mind. Swimming somewhere in all the doubt and the ether.

My room is finished. The walls are painted, the furniture is back. It's gold as gold as gold as gold. With a red dash here and there. The new bamboo blinds are hung, and hanging. The light breaks through them into a plethora of filigrees and falls across the bed that finally has a frame and isn't on the floor anymore.

In my rush to get to work this morning to log out of msn messenger, which I realized I hadn't logged out of on Monday, I left my cell phone sitting by my bed. It hasn't been used much lately, and I suppose it was just...something made suddenly forgettable.

I brought my music, but the batteries are dead.

I had a five-hour conversation Monday night with someone I don't know. It was fun, I had forgotten how enjoyable it can be, discovering a person, some new perspective that breathes and sees and owns a life. Something that at least for now is not at all a part of yourself, of the world that you've built around you.

I take comfort in little new things, when the old ones have found their place and there's room for something else in the compartments of my attention.

My gamer pride was stabbed, gutted, and devoured in the flash of blinding light this past week...

I am not as good as I think I am when I'm alone.

Which, I suppose, has far more implication in every other aspect of my life than I give it credit for.

Perhaps that's a meaning I don't know yet. But it's wedged itself in rather uncomfortably. And I will stare at it, annoyed, until I can learn to understand it, and accept the fact that it's there.

Perhaps that has been my problem all along.

Don't ask me why I write these things. It's something I have to get out, put down. Sometimes it makes the sorting of answers easier, and sometimes it only gives me new questions.

"While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words, dying to believe in what you heard, I was staring straight into the shining sun."

At least the Floyd will never leave me.

Odd, the-off weeks when the lightning of change forks its way through your soul and leaves you singed and electric. That's how I feel.

I feel like I keep clawing my way through distractions, because it's easier than staring at truth in all its bared-teeth and snarling glory. How bright and hollow the grimaces of our dreams can be when you meet them unexpected around a dark corner.

IndieGirl:
Oh, it's been tempting. So tempting this past week. But I will let it waver and settle in the amber of uncertainty until it becomes tepid and hard, and I can chip it out and throw it away. Or against something, watch it, too, shatter. Explosions into a thousand shards of each thing I tuck away with a doubt and a whimper. Some days I am amber-full, like an old tree, hoarding the pieces of things caught in my slow-to-change way. Maybe some day I'll find them again, and hold them up to the light, seeing them in a different way that the one they've settled in so comfortably now.

Interesting word choice. Or am I looking too deep into this?

I love you more than anything.

"Johnny's always running around trying to find certainty, he needs all the world to confirm that he ain't lonely. Mary counts walls, knows he tires easily.

Johnny thinks the world would be right, if it would buy truth from him. Mary says he changes his mind more than a woman, but she made her bet even when the chance was slim.

Johnny says he's willing to learn - when he decides he's a fool. Johnny says he'll live anywhere - when he earns time to. Mary combs her hair, says she should be used to it. Mary always hedges her bets. She never knows what to think - she says he still acts like he's being discovered.

Scared that he'll get caught without a second thought. Johnny thinks he's wasting his breath trying to talk sense to her. Mary says he's lacking a real sense of proportion. So she combs her hair, says he tires easily.

Johnny's always running around trying to find certainty. He needs all the world to confirm that he ain't lonely. Mary counts walls."

Odd, sometimes, the way you slip without knowing it, then wake up and find the hollowness in your voice that wasn't there before. The echoes of untruth in the background of the words you spend so much time building.

For a while, you feel something. And then you convince yourself to maintain the feeling and the something slips away, and then suddenly you feel nothing, but the convincing, and the doing, and the saying is such a habit that you can't stop. And the something, when you look at it now, isn't the same something that you saw worth building a feeling around. Because now it's not something idealized, washed with some rose-coloured paradigm of hope and dreaming. It's something real. Something that can be broken, that dulls in the harsh light of truth and circumstance.

Perhaps it's the same thing. But the somethings are not the same, and the somethings are what you tied your feelings to.

"I was just bony hands, as cold as a winter pole. You held a warm stone out, new flowing blood to hold. Oh what a contrast you were, to the brutes in the halls - my timid young fingers held a decent animal. Over the ramparts you tossed the scent of your skin and some foreign flowers tied a brick, sweet as a song. The years have been short, but the days were long.

Cool of a temperate breeze from dark skies to wet grass. We fell in a field, it seems, a thousand summers passed. When our kite lines first crossed, we tied them into knots. To finally fly apart, we had to cut them off. Since then, it's been a book that you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn. Or a movie so crass, and awkwardly cast, that even I could be the star.

...Over the ramparts you tossed the scent of your skin and some foreign flowers tied to a brick, sweet as a song. The years have been short, but the days go slowly by, two loose kites falling from the sky drawn to the ground, and an end to flight."

How do you find and label the time when you realize that you can't keep doing the things you've been doing? How can you identify the moment when it's not for anymore doing, but done. That you finished whatever chapter of your life you've been writing and building and breaking and manipulating and playing with so fascinated and sure. How does the unsure creep in?

Maybe I let it. Maybe with the wavering, the uncertainty, I left a door open, and it just came. And then, instead of kicking it out, I listen to it. And what it says makes so much sense in the dark,and in the corner, and sometimes in the lightest part of the middle of the room.

"Cough and twitch from the news on your face and some foreign candle burning in your eyes. Held to the past, too aware fo the pending chill as the dawn breaks and finds us up for sale. Enter the fog, another low road descending away from the cold lust, your house, and summertime. Blind to the last cursed affair, pistols and countless lies. A trail of white blood betrays the reckless route your craft is running. Feed till the sun turns into wood, dousing an ancient torch, loiter the whole day through and lose yourself in lines dissecting love. Your name on my cast and my notes on your stay offer me little but doting on a crime. We've turned every stone, and for all our inventions, in matters of love loss, we've no recourse at all."

How long have I been doting? Losing myself in lines trying to explain it and me to myself? To rationalize away all of the small things nipping at my heels? I cannot continue running with bleeding ankles. I cannot continue this road more-traveled.

Where is my yellow wood? Where is my diverging?

Rocking By

Intentions cradled, then
drained in some autumnal
colour-losing.
Sapped in windchill.

It peels the watercolour layers
from the washes of my soul.

In small hands I collect them:
pockets and fistfuls of dead leaves,
of proof
I could have blown away.

Neverending:
the tidy ebb
of seasonal shadowing
in the mirrors
(earth)
of my mind.

It tries to colour you,
awash in tears
and change.

Small Breaks

Here is gone
and I collect remember
in the coat-pockets of my time.

I will cherish
my disillusionment
equally as much.

Such a bitten truth
in destruction.

Such refresh,
such newness
in breaking.

Through the cracks
of here
I saw a possibility.

How can I leave it whole?

Now shatters
on the compulsion of
the future.

To You, with Awe and Constellation

I put us so tiny
in the scope of all abstraction,
hoping to tell
this little thing
with the orbits of greatness.

To weigh its consequence
against the spheres
of a half-full understanding.

I know what I mean.
I know what I say.

How incomplete,
your heartless attention to what
I'm building.

In the dark alone,
on a squeaky bed,
I peel the orbs of creation

from the spaces in my soul.

IGEdit: Esthetics.

You say the hill's too steep to climb. Climbing. You say you'd like to see me try. Climbing. You pick the place and I'll choose the time, and I'll climb the hill in my own way. Just wait a while for the right day. And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds, I look down, hearing the sound of the things you said today.

Fearlessly, the idiot faced the crowd. Smiling. Merciless, the magistrate turns 'round. Frowning.
And who's the fool who wears the crown? Go down in your own way. And every day is the right day. And as you rise above the fearlines in his brow, you go down, hear the sound of the faces in the crowd.

Do I feel fearless? I've been wondering this week, weaving thought around the subtle difference between a lack of fear and the overwhelming presence of apathy. I think that I have the latter, mostly. And in the apathy, I lost my fear. Or, rather, I can't feel it. I don't care to.

My emotional body has been numbed, and I'm not sure why. I had such a rushed past month of overwhelming emotion, striving, I think, for a semblance of some good thing in all the crap that kept hitting me, and something in me broke. Or closed. Or decided that the occasional good thing wasn't worth all of the garbage...it's easier to feel nothing than to work so hard trying to feel good. Or at least, better.

Especially when it doesn't come.

Don't ask me to leave you and turn back. I will go where you go and live where you live. your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.

Do you know what else I've been pondering? Loyalty. Not in the smarmy, buy-a-bumper-sticker-for-my-country, sports-fan-enthusiasm, go-my-alma-mater kind of way. I mean loyalty in...love. But not like that. Not love-love, but..compassion? It goes beyond that. Not charity, not goodwill, not concern. It's...loyalty that I have a problem with. Goethe once said, "He who does not feel his friends to be the world to him, does not deserve that the world should hear of him." And I do, girl howdy, I do. And none of them seem to understand the depth of what I can give, what I do give.

I cannot help it. If it's asked, I will give it. But oh, the agony of spending so much of life giving away yourself with such unwilled, yet hapless, abandon, and then to wonder why it never seems returned to you in quite equal measure.

There are just some of us who, inexplicably, have this gargantuanly proportioned capacity to give and love and be. I don't know why, I don't know how. I can't hope to explain it clear enough for you to understand. (But then, understanding is such a irregular, immeasurable thing.)

I don't know. The more I think about my unconscious willingness to exasperate myself with such violent loyalty to the people I care about who number in spades, the more I wonder if it's me trying so desperately to give people something to need me for, because I wonder, to myself in darker moments, if I'm worth having. If I give people any semblance of value, when I see so little of it inside of me. I can love you, it's the one thing that I know how to give. I have to love you, because it's easier to emanate love outward, than try and find the small space inside of me that's not willing to hold any part of it for me.

If you need me for it, then you will keep me here. And I like to be kept. It's the one thing that I want, really. People who will just keep me.

This is the story of your red right ankle and how it came to meet your leg. And how the muscle, bone, and sinews tangled, and how the skin was softly shed. And how it whispered “Oh, adhere to me, for we are bound by symmetry and whatever differences our lives have been we together make a limb.”

This is the story of your red right ankle.

This is the story of your gypsy uncle you never knew ‘cause he was dead, and how his face was carved and rift with wrinkles in the picture in your head. And remember how you found the key to his hide-out in the Pyrenees? But you wanted to keep his secret safe, so you threw the key away. This is the story of your gypsy uncle.

This is the story of the boys who loved you, who love you now and loved you then. And some were sweet, some were cold and snuffed you, and some just laid around in bed. Some had crumbled you straight to your knees; did it cruel, did it tenderly. Some had crawled their way into your heart to rend your ventricles apart. This is the story of the boys who loved you.

This is the story of your red right ankle.

I think that's the hardest thing that I've had to deal with lately, as far as the whole Su-Dan marriage fiasco goes. Dan was my best friend, for the first time I had given myself, my friendship, my concern, everything completely, wholly, genuinely. And then had to watch it all cast aside. He knew that if anything happened with him and her, that we could never be the same kind of friends, and he did it anyway.

And that, most of all, has been the hard bit to swallow, that me - real, sincere, seriously vulnerable me - was worth so little to him. It's like being flayed open with a knife that you gave them. I handed him all of my insecurity, and he used it to peel me open, and show my fears and doubt back to me in a way that has, for all intents and purposes, nearly crippled me with a loss of..confidence? No, mostly just a loss at the desire to be so open again. I have to retreat into hiding, and wait for my skin to grow back.

But then, I seem to go through this every time.

And that is what I mean. All this giving, this loving people. It's work.

Oh, how it's work.

Shut out, pimpled and angry, I quietly tied all my guts into knots. I gave up trying to make them, figured it'd take them too long to look up. Besides, it was undeniably clear to me. I don't know why. When every other part of life seemed locked behind shutters, I knew what worthless dregs we all are then.

Lucked out, found my favorite records lying in wait at the Birmingham mall. The songs that I heard, the occasional book were the only fun that I ever took, and I thought I would make it myself. Yeah, the trick is just making yourself. But when they're parking their cars on your chest, you still have a view of the summer sky to make it hurt twice, when your restless body caves to its whim and suddenly struggles to take flight.

Three-thousand miles northeast I left all my friends at the morning bus stop, shaking their heads, "What kind of life d'you dream of? You're allergic to love..." "Yes, I know, but I must say in my own defense it's been undeniably dear, I don't know why."

When every other part of life seemed locked behind shutters, I knew the worthless dregs we are, the selfless loving saints we are, the melting, sliding dice we've always been...

I mean, come on, the best laid plans of mice aft gang aglae...

IGEdit: Lyrics

IG:
I cannot help it. If it's asked, I will give it. But oh, the agony of spending so much of life giving away yourself with such unwilled, yet hapless, abandon, and then to wonder why it never seems returned to you in quite equal measure.

As a very wise woman once said... "Three times what though givest or takest returns to thee."

Hail Zendila. I love you.

One wound up punch of intuition lays flat my whole take on us. You're the girl on the wing of a barnstormer, the tidal rabbit who came of age before her time. We could have been so goodnatured if I'd relented when you insisted, but we've been backed against nature's walls far too long.

You felt abandoned by me, I recall the sunshine as you were melting, and though the comedy softens the fall they still hear us with their ears to the wall. I sold all my evil motives, no icicles stuck in my hide. I'm through with riddles, I know we're little...just help me feel warm inside. Before we take this ride and let it slide into the cracks where fall and winter collide.

I surrender all my gall in a song of modern love. Remeber you're the one who summoned me above any other kind. We could have been so good-natured if you'd relented when I insisted we take a week off, let the garden grow by itself and let the gluttons fill themselves with all the worst of the gory nineties. And though the comedy softens the fall, we still fall short.

You felt abandoned by me, I recall the sunshine as you were melting, and though the comedy softens the fall, they still hear us with their ears to the wall...

I like that line a lot. The sunshine as you were melting. The comedy softening the fall...hilarious, the tragic ways we trod. Too funny, the millions of times we are fooled, and fooled again. Is it ever real? One wound-up punch of intuition. Sometimes that's all it takes. Sometimes it's more than enough, as each little jab and poke does the job acutely enough.

I'm not paranoid. Not really. I just...know things? They fall: in the spaces between words, on the eyelids of each downcast look. How stupid, stupid to ignore them. That small, familiar twist in the gut from background voices. And then? Another year, the doctor says. Another problem. You can't leave, you have to stay. For months, you stay. Aching just to leave, to see. To be hurt again, more. I hate my wording. I can't wind it tight enough in prose, but the poetry is so hollow these days. I force myself to write them about feelings I force myself to have, and they come out...forced.

Suddenly I come out feeling unattached - detached - and restless. Compelled toward moving. My brother reminds me there's no progression in comfort.

Growth is hard, uncomfortable. And I hate it. I am tired of growing. I am tired of so much. Of this...waiting for you, for this impossible reassurance of things.

Oh, the little parts of me break so finely along miniscule lines. I watch them weaving across my arms and up my back, slow-spread spiderwebs of blood and understanding. Resolve. Girl inform me, all my senses warn me your clever eye could easily disguise some backwards purpose. Do you harbour sighs, or spit in my eye?

The blocks I'm building with have numbed my senses. I am fumbling in the dark, for some warm thing to hold on to, and it keeps moving further and further away from me.

And none of this, even, makes sense. It's just me, some self-important meandering enigma that wastes your time with the words that I try so desperately to make mean things.

Doted on like seeds planted in rows, the untied shoelaces of your life nurtured all year then pressed in a book or displayed in bad taste on the table. Problems arise, and you fan the fire while there's a wild pack of dogs loose in your house tonight. Cut from bad cloth, or soiled like socks, add it up and basically people never change.

They just talk...and make plans in the dark, or make haste with ideas that can't help but creep good people out. As you talk to me too much you're assuming we don't always want what's right. Did I strike the right set of chords? You're annoyed.

The goal is to ignite you then move on. You feel ill at ease, you've got no squeeze. And the wisecracks won't make you more stable. You've learned your lines to scale and to time. Why must I remind you now I'm only less able? Cut from bad cloth, or soiled like socks, we're ordinary people we can't help but to change as we walk, and make plans in the dark, or make haste with the boy who can't help but creep good people out. As you talk to me too much, you're assuming we don't always want what's right.

Two fallen saplings in an open field. Snow padding gently on an empty bench. And old woman's jewelry lying unadorned. Cold nesting robins allied for the first time. I know when you hear these sappy lines you'll roll your eyes and say, "nice try."

It's short today. I feel quiet and stand-offish. I keep trying to write, and it keeps coming out all the same.

desperate,
four-day affair.

you know nothing of
your rivals.

a dozen blind struggles
to make him search
the cracks in the walls
and remember.

you hoarded
the keys to this life,

the gold-plated things
you have marvelled.

some celibate lies,
you're always the first
to fall off
for the dregs in the crowd.

Old friends are coming home. Seth and I made sushi and played Battlefront II for 5 hours last night. It was the most fun I've had in...years? Perhaps.

I keep finding realization around dark corners, like the crucial aspects of things that I miss when they aren't...here. I need it.

I need more close to me.

:hug: I make exceptions for you. Allegedly. :lol:

On a far less serious note, I was goofing off and work yesterday, talking to Andrea on IM and we started making up a sample of Dan and Su's post-marriage dialogue when they're alone in their little basement apartment. We had started discussing the fact that maybe sex will be their sole means of communicating and understanding each other...and it just started coming so easily...sometimes it's dangerous how much and well I know them both. ANYWAY:

Exploits in the Su-Dan:
Darth Chel Productions

Presents

"Exploits in the Su-Dan"

A Chelsea Meacham Short

Dan:[ducking out of an impending argument] "Perhaps you're right, my little sha-wee-wee. I don't really understand you, but let's go do it."

Su: [in her Singapore apron, weilding large wooden spoon]"Pish tosh, you couldn't hope to understand me, my Lurplicious Manchild. I went to Japan on my mission. But I think doing it is a good idea, because you perplex me."

Dan:"Alright my Scottish Plum Blossom, then let's retire to the west wing of our ghastly orange love-nest and frighten the holy gosh out of your parents with the noises we make."

Su:"Marvelous idea, My Kung Fu Walking Stick, and afterwards I will make you curry potstickers and some stuffed curry mushrooms, and some coconut canteloupe curry sorbet. Do you mind if we name our first child Curry?"

Dan:"Dash it all, my Kilty Pleasure, I wanted to name our first child They Might Be A Giant Tiger. But if you'll still bed me, then I will consent."

Su:"Avast, I be thinkin' that's a good idea. Now come, my Cotton Swabbie, I be prepared fer boarding. And cookin' if there be enough ration in the galley. Are ye up fer a little roleplaying? I'll be Jeeves if you be Wooster..."

And maybe that will help you understand the lengths I go to, to keep my time at work interesting and productive...

We smile and smile
We smile and smile
Laughter echoes in your eyes
We climb and climb
We climb and climb
Footfalls softly in the pines
We cry and cry
We cry and cry
Sadness passes in a while
We roll and roll
We roll and roll
Help me roll away the stone

20040825h.jpg

I have no good comments to make today.

:agree:

:jack:

Payday today. Hooray, I made just enough to pay half my phonebill and get a 50' CAT5E network cable so I can get the hell back on xbox live, and assuage my adoring gamerboy fans that no, I have not, in fact, gotten married.

I have be suckered into hosting Su's bridal shower at my house AND baking cookies for it.

Also, I am the nicest friend ever. I'm drawing and framing a charcoal portrait of them for their wedding present.

Eat THAT, Wayne Brady.

20040811h.jpg

(random poem, bored at work...)

untitled, that is the title

what we have here is: successful

communication.

it becomes clear several times today

foggy again

instantly.

reason will tell you - you're feeling

something.

you'll say

better not, and it won't

make a bit of difference.

Maybe she does

like you better than ...shallwesay: the usual.

because of the apparent lack of a better

term...

love needs more tenses. you need less

and you'll do, you do

everything in your power

not to.

we call that

which remains unnamed. no one

finger can point to. that which

provokes

song

you can hear it but you don't