The Last Book You Read...

The last book I read was "Beginning C++, through game programming. However, I'm currently reading both Stephen King's "Insomnia" and George Orwell's "1984".

I'm currently in the process of reading The Complete Letters of Vincent Van Gogh. It is a three-book anthology. I am almost done with the first one.

For once, it's good to live in a place were book in English are not widely read. I just read Ghost Story by Jim Butcher and it's actually 10 days until it's actual released date in the U.S.

And there is no word that can describe how great this book is...

Still working on Kite Runner. It's somewhat depressing so far. I don't really know why the book is so interesting; it must be written very well to keep me this engaged.

Last Graphic Novel I read was Halo: Blood Line by Fred Van Lente and Francis Portela

I'm currently reading Star Wars: Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor by Matthew Stover

Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I didn't find it disappointing, but only because people told me to expect disappointment. It exceeded my lowered expectations.

It's still better than most of the dreck out there, and has its upsides.

Would NOT recommend to someone who is not a fan of the Vorkosigan books (all of which are better than this last one XD)

Blackshear:
I'm actually reading Catch-22. It's been on my list for years.
Best.novel.ever. :2c:

I was reading, The Method of Morals by Henry Sedgwick, last night. It's probably been ages since I've read fiction.

I read the most recent biography of George Washington by Ron Chernow. It was a very well put together book, I'm talking 150 pages of endnotes.

I reread "The devastation of the indies" by Las Casas because I was feeling too comfortable with existence.

I'm currently reading "The sickness unto death" by kierkagaard, as ive stated previously.

I have had my eyes on an apparently good translation of Kafka's diaries. I want to read that next. Getting a kindle fire for Christmas has reawakened my desire to read. And yes, I could have said rekindled my desire, just for the pun of it. :)

Books I'm in the middle of reading:

• The Evils of Revolution -- What is Liberty without wisdom and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible Evils (by "the right honourable" Edmund Burke)
  • A Dance with Dragons (by George R R Martin)
  • Locke and the Legislative Point of View (by Alex Tuckness)
  • Wuthering Heights

Books I intend to get back to "soon":

• The Tsar's Last Armada
  • Chances Are
  • ?????
  • Yalta (I think that's the title...)

There may be other books on the back burner I've forgotten :P

[me]wonders how far into Guns Germs and Steel Blackshear is.

It was returned to the bookshelf 5 months ago. I'm not that slow a reader. :P

I'm currently reading Swamplandia! and A Feast for Crows (weakest of the bunch in my opinion).

Blackshear:
I'm reading Guns, Germs and Steel and Game of Thrones (again).
This is why I get excited by BS. "Guns, Germs and Steel" is one of my favouritest books ever.

I just finished "A Clash of Kings". I've got "1Q84" sitting beside my bed, but I'm also tempted to start "A Storm of Swords"

On and off, been reading S.N. Kramer's " The Sumerians: Their History, Culture, and Character." I am also reading "Civilization One: The World is Not as You Thought It Was" by Christopher Knight. If you are a history buff, great stuff; if not, you should pass. Very dry and direct.

I just finished I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella, which was a light, but rather sweet and funny contemporary romance and now I'm reading Hilary Mantel's Bring Up The Bodies. I loved Wolf Hall by Mantel, so have been looking forward to the sequel for ages.

Eluvatar:
Books I'm in the middle of reading:

• The Evils of Revolution -- What is Liberty without wisdom and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible Evils (by "the right honourable" Edmund Burke)
  • A Dance with Dragons (by George R R Martin)
  • Locke and the Legislative Point of View (by Alex Tuckness)
  • Wuthering Heights

Books I intend to get back to "soon":

• The Tsar's Last Armada
  • Chances Are
  • ?????
  • Yalta (I think that's the title...)

There may be other books on the back burner I've forgotten :P

Eluvatar wonders how far into Guns Germs and Steel Blackshear is.
So I finished Burke and Martin, but I'm not quite done with Tuckness.

Just started on Daughter of the East, authored by Benazir Bhutto.

Assassinated former Prime Minister of Pakistan. Never gave up on Democracy, never gave up on her people, on pakistan or herself.

Eluvatar:
[*]The Evils of Revolution -- What is Liberty without wisdom and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible Evils (by "the right honourable" Edmund Burke)
A classic!

I just finished (re-reading) Lewis Edward Nolan's cavalry tome, "The Training of Cavalry Remounts - A New System" (1852).

Nolan was the cavalry officer that is often given (and wrongly so) the blame for the infamous 'Charge of the Light Brigade' mishap.

Back