The Last Book You Read...

Flotsam by Erich Maria Remarquez.

It has gotten to the point where I just go up to the fiction stacks of my library and choose books randomly.

This one was very good, much better than All quiet on the western front (less descriptions of gangrene all around). It dealt with political refugees during War World 2. These were people who were denied citizenship papers (and oftentimes deported) based on their political beliefs. They weren't criminals per se, but without papers they couldn't get work, or enter another country legally, and when found would be subject to jail and deportation. So these refugees had to live on the fringes of society, peddling wares, and living in fear of being caught.

The lost symbol by Dan Brown. ok, except for when he gets all self referencial and makes me want to punch him through the book

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

The 3rd book from the Dresden File series. I will recommend this to anyone who grow up with Harry Potter or simply like it, but are also looking for something more mature.

Mark Levene - Genocide in the Age of the Nation-State (Volume I: The Meaning of Genocide)

Yeah, isn't that one sad title? Now imagine reading 600 pages of that; I'm so cheered up right now!

On a more fun note: Fyodor Dostoyevskiy - Notes from Underground (Zapiski iz podpol'ya).

Momofuku by David Chang and Peter Meehan

It is a cookbook. And it is the most delightful cookbook I have read in, well, ever. (And I read a lot of cookbooks, especially lately, for reasons that will not be disclosed currently.) So much profanity and insistence and in-your-face restaurant recipes that are mostly included for the purpose of daring the home cook to try and attempt them.

I actually ate at the Momofuku Noodle Bar when I was back east, and it was delicious, in an infinitely indescribable grunge-tinted incandescent way.

Anyway, this cookbook is amazing and entertaining and informative in a way that has made it more of a page-turner for me than even Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was.

And that is saying something.

If you've never read a cookbook in your life, you would like reading this one.

I dare you.

Primate taxonomy - Colin Groves.

im trying to get my application to leipzig done before the next party season starts. so there's gonna be a lot of fun journals for me over the next few days

The Geography of Bliss

A highly entertaining work. Particularly the chapter on Moldova, the unhappiest place on Earth.

books%2FFrog_and_Toad_All_Year-pict.jpg

"The Diary of a Midwife," a fascinating historical account of a Maine midwife in the late 18th - early 19th century.

ooo- Frog and Toad! In one of the books Mr. Toad issues the best apology ever. It ends with the wonderful line, "I am the lowest of toads."

Turncoat by Jim Butcher

Finally finished all 11 books in the series.... can't wait for the twelve book on April!

In the middle of "Making Ideas Happen" by Scott Belsky. It's pretty intriguing. And helpful. I like it! Though I'm not really reading it, I've been listening to it whilst at work.

I read "Nine Stories" by Salinger recently. And am a scant few hundred pages away from finishing House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky. I have been on a russian lit-kick this summer. Looking to read some Lermontov next, and then Nevsky Prospect by Gogol.

Back