Favorite Things!

FT: Coins on the street. No, not pennies. Pennies are everywhere. They're boring. Done. Blasé. Now nickels and dimes and all that shit. That's cool. All shiny and silver and whatnot. That's special. I mean, people don't just drop nickels and dimes and not pick them up. They're worth something. And if you get a quarter...*whistles*. Lucky, lucky man. Way more lucky than you would be if you had gotten a "lucky penny". Not only is it inherently lucky that you picked up a quarter off the street, it's twenty-five frickin' cents. That's twenty-four more cents than a penny. Plus, there's the inherent specialness of it being a nickel and on the street. An intangible, if you will. Now, when I see one of those new-fangled Sacajawea dollars, I feel kinda bad. Cause you know, some poor bloke just lost a whole dollar. That's two candy bars. Or something from the dollar store. You sorta wonder if they had to buy a roll of cheap wrapping paper or something, get to the store, and go "Oh shit! Where's my dollar?" And then, you feel bad. But you pick it up anyway after glancing around, cause hey, it's a dollar. Candy bars and wrapping paper for me.

Sometimes, I wonder if I would like Lincoln more if he wasn't on the penny...

Back