Delegate and Vice Delegate Article Amendment

Dinoium

Legal nerd
-
TNP Nation
Dinoium
I propose the following of Article 3: Delegate and Vice Delegate of the Constitution of The North Pacific:
Article 3. The Delegate and Vice Delegate

1. The Delegate will be the head of state and government of The North Pacific and hold the in-game position of delegate World Assembly Delegate.
2. The Delegate may eject and ban nations from the region as permitted and when required to by law, and will eject or ban nations from the region when required by law.
3. The Delegate may negotiate treaties with foreign powers entities. No treaty Diplomatic Document will come into effect unless approved by a two-thirds majority vote of the Regional Assembly.
4. When a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law is passed, the Speaker shall promptly present it to the Delegate, and it shall take effect immediately upon their signature.
5. The Delegate may veto a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law within one week of its passage.
6. The Regional Assembly may override such a veto by a two-thirds majority vote, which shall cause a proposal to take immediate effect.
7. If a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law has not been signed or vetoed by the Delegate, it shall take effect seven days after being passed.
8. The Delegate may appoint Executive Officers to assist them and may dismiss these Executive officers freely.
9. The Delegate may appoint Advisors to assist them and may dismiss these Advisors freely.
10. The Vice Delegate will chair the Security Council and enforce the continued eligibility of its members as determined by law.
11.. The Vice Delegate will hold the second most endorsements in the region. The Delegate may eject or ban any nation which exceeds any legally mandated endorsement limit.
12. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while serving in, or having assumed the duties of, any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.
13. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will be elected by the Regional Assembly by a majority vote every four months. No person shall be elected Delegate to a full or partial term in three consecutive election cycles.

1. The Delegate will be the head of state and government of The North Pacific and hold the in-game position of delegate.
2. The Delegate may eject and ban nations from the region as permitted by law, and will eject or ban nations from the region when required by law.
3. The Delegate may negotiate treaties with foreign powers. No treaty will come into effect unless approved by a two-thirds majority vote of the Regional Assembly.
4. When a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law is passed, the Speaker shall promptly present it to the Delegate, and it shall take effect immediately upon their signature.
5. The Delegate may veto a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law within one week of its passage.
6. The Regional Assembly may override such a veto by a two-thirds majority vote, which shall cause a proposal to take immediate effect.
7. If a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law has not been signed or vetoed by the Delegate, it shall take effect seven days after being passed.
8. The Delegate may appoint executive officers to assist them and may dismiss these officers freely. Executive officers may be regulated by law.
9. The Vice Delegate will chair the Security Council and enforce the continued eligibility of its members as determined by law.
10.. The Vice Delegate will hold the second most endorsements in the region. The Delegate may eject or ban any nation which exceeds any legally mandated endorsement limit.
11. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while serving in, or having assumed the duties of, any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.
12. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will be elected by the Regional Assembly by a majority vote every four months. No person shall be elected Delegate to a full or partial term in three consecutive election cycles.

Proposal FAQ

Why is this needed?
I think it's needed because it's mostly outdated and could use some grammatical amending.

Why do I see a red line above a period near 11?
That is there because for some reason, there are two periods there. I decided to remove that in the Draft.

What does the blue bold and red crossed out words mean?
The blue bolding are the parts being added to the Constitution. I used
Code:
[IN][/IN]
for this. The red crossed out words are the parts being removed from the Constitution. I used
Code:
[OUT][/OUT]
for this. Everything else that doesn't have either of these will be staying in the Constitution.

Why as entities instead of powers?
While yes most if not all the time we sign Diplomatic Documents with are major regions that are powerful or very influential, it's still possible we sign Diplomatic Documents with minor regions.

Why not change "Regional Assembly" to "Citizens" in Article 13?
While yes all Citizens can vote and run for Delegate and Vice Delegate, all Citizens are members of the Regional Assembly. I'm still a bit mixed on what term we should use for voting/running for Delegate and Vice Delegate. I would love to hear suggestions on this term.

Previous Drafts
Draft 1:

1. The Delegate will be the head of state and government of The North Pacific and hold the in-game position of delegate World Assembly Delegate.
2. The Delegate may eject and ban nations from the region as permitted and when required to by law, and will eject or ban nations from the region when required by law.
3. The Delegate may negotiate treaties with foreign powers entities. No treaty Diplomatic Document will come into effect unless approved by a two-thirds majority vote of the Regional Assembly.
8. The Delegate may appoint Executive officers to assist them with consent of the Regional Assembly and may dismiss these officers. Executive officers may be regulated by law.
9. The Delegate may appoint Advisors to assist them and may dismiss these Advisors freely.
10. The Delegate may acting Executive officers for a two week period of time, it which after the two week period of time, they must be presented for Regional Assembly consent or be replaced.
11. The Vice Delegate will chair the Security Council and enforce the continued eligibility of its members as determined by law.
12.. The Vice Delegate will hold the second most endorsements in the region. The Delegate may eject or ban any nation which exceeds any legally mandated endorsement limit.
13. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while serving in, or having assumed the duties of, any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.
14. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will be elected by the Regional Assembly by a majority vote every four months. No person shall be elected Delegate to a full or partial term in three consecutive election cycles.

With all of that in mind, feel free to leave questions and suggestions for this proposal. I want to try to get this through and work with you all.

Last edited:
I think my big problem is this is unnecessary bureaucracy, but a lesser but still important issue is the possibility of just running out of potential candidates. What happens if the Delegate just runs out of people that want the job? Then what? A never-ending cycle of temporary appointees that don't really want the job?

Also, how do you handle deputies of the temporary appointee? If confirmation fails, do they lose their jobs instantly? Are temporary appointees even allowed to appoint deputies to assist them? How do we handle forum and discord masking for temporary appointees and those appointed by them?

I think my big problem is this is unnecessary bureaucracy, but a lesser but still important issue is the possibility of just running out of potential candidates. What happens if the Delegate just runs out of people that want the job? Then what? A never-ending cycle of temporary appointees that don't really want the job?

Also, how do you handle deputies of the temporary appointee? If confirmation fails, do they lose their jobs instantly? Are temporary appointees even allowed to appoint deputies to assist them? How do we handle forum and discord masking for temporary appointees and those appointed by them?
I never really thought of that. :P
But I see your point. While I did not apply this to the draft, I do think the acting Ministers could appoint acting Deputies but if they're removed, the Deputies could lose their jobs unless reappointed. Also masking in my opinion would be untouched unless approved by a confirmation vote. I however never really thought about if they can't run any candidates for the job. I'm fine with removing the Confirmation sections if you want.

A possibility instead of confirmation by the RA would be the possibility of removing an executive officer similar to the delegate or vice delegate

A possibility instead of confirmation by the RA would be the possibility of removing an executive officer similar to the delegate or vice delegate
That's already possible.
Constitution Article 2. The Regional Assembly:
5. The Regional Assembly may remove a government official from office by a two-thirds majority vote.
Executive officers are Government according to the Constitution once again.
Constitution Article 7. General Provisions:
2. Government officials are the constitutionally-mandated elected officials, any officials appointed by them as permitted by law, and members of the Security Council.
Bolded the part for you.

Last edited:
10. The Delegate may acting Executive officers for a two week period of time, it which after the two week period of time, they must be presented for Regional Assembly consent or be replaced.

What the heck is this supposed to say? Is acting supposed to be appoint? If so...why?

There's a saying: if it isn't broken? Why fix it? It has been working very well and in my experience, nominees are most always confirmed anyway in such setups (I cannot recall a situation where a nominee was rejected). I concur with Sil. Unnecessary bureaucracy. Also, what is a "diplomatic document"?

What the heck is this supposed to say? Is acting supposed to be appoint? If so...why?
Sorry for any confusion. Acting is appointed but are temporary. I made it 2 weeks and all of that stuff but probably that wasn't a good idea. I assumed the confirmation part would be a good idea however after hearing your [the Regional Assembly] opinions. I'm going to be removing the confirmation part for the following reasons listed on Discord on here.
There's a saying: if it isn't broken? Why fix it? It has been working very well and in my experience, nominees are most always confirmed anyway in such setups (I cannot recall a situation where a nominee was rejected). I concur with Sil. Unnecessary bureaucracy. Also, what is a "diplomatic document"?
I could see where you're coming from, reason why i'm removing the nominee/confirmation part.
A Diplomatic Document is a Treaty. I decided to rename it because while Treaties mean:
A formally concluded and ratified agreement between countries.
I think Diplomatic Documents would work aswell. Our Treaties archive is called Diplomatic Documents Archive so i'm assuming this works aswell. Also, while accords are:
An official agreement or treaty.
I feel that treaties are still Documents of an Agreement in a Diplomatic way.

I could see where you're coming from, reason why i'm removing the nominee/confirmation part.
A Diplomatic Document is a Treaty. I decided to rename it because while Treaties mean:

I think Diplomatic Documents would work aswell. Our Treaties archive is called Diplomatic Documents Archive so i'm assuming this works aswell. Also, while accords are:

I feel that treaties are still Documents of an Agreement in a Diplomatic way.

Just wondering if the wording makes it subject to more broad interpretation. Say for example an announcement from the Delegacy commenting on another regions conduct/internal affairs as happened recently. Would that be considered a "diplomatic document" therefore subject to RA approval?

Just wondering if the wording makes it subject to more broad interpretation. Say for example an announcement from the Delegacy commenting on another regions conduct/internal affairs as happened recently. Would that be considered a "diplomatic document" therefore subject to RA approval?
Do you mean if the Delegate were to propose a "Diplomatic Document" with another region or an existing one and present it to the Regional Assembly for approval?

If that's the case, I think they can refer it to whatever, accord, Diplomatic Document, treaties, etc. I just think that part of the Constitution should have it as Diplomatic Document as it's sort of like a law or at least concurs with it and seems like a Document.

Do you mean if the Delegate were to propose a "Diplomatic Document" with another region or an existing one and present it to the Regional Assembly for approval?

If that's the case, I think they can refer it to whatever, accord, Diplomatic Document, treaties, etc. I just think that part of the Constitution should have it as Diplomatic Document as it's sort of like a law or at least concurs with it and seems like a Document.
I'm not talking about an agreement. I'm talking about something as simple as a statement, such as the ones issued regarding the NPO by some regions. If the Delegate issued a statement in the future under the wording of this proposed law it may be subject to RA approval as such a statement can be argued to be a diplomatic document.

I have been meaning to do this for a few months but kept forgetting since it wasn't a top priority. I would like to formally request a withdrawal of the following resolution.

Back