Vapid
Discord
solringen
ga.jpg

Civilian Air Compact
Category: International Security | Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Pathonia, Co-authored by Dushina | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Recognising that the repeal of General Assembly Resolution 342: "Civilian Aircraft Accord" has caused a lack of internationally recognised security measures for civilian aircraft.

Noting the arguments made in General Assembly Resolution 678: "Repeal Civilian Aircraft Accord" to have intended for an improved resolution to take the place of the resolution which it had repealed.

For the purposes of this resolution, defining:
  • "Military" to mean any state or non-state entity which incorporates the use of weaponry and/or organised violence against another state or non-state entity of the same criteria to exercise control over a set territory.
  • "Civilian" to mean any non-military entity.
  • "Pilot" to mean any individual who exercises manual control over an aircraft (defined as a vehicle capable of flight), whether it be from within the craft, or remotely from the ground.
  • "Civilian pilot" to therefore mean any pilot acting on behalf of any commercial, personal, or otherwise non-military interest whilst acting in their capacity as pilot.
  • "Civilian aircraft" to mean any unarmed vehicle which is, 1) capable of carrying at least one occupant, 2) piloted by one or more civilian pilots, and 3) capable of sustained flight.
    • By proxy, defining an "aircraft" as any vehicle which is capable of carrying at least one occupant, piloted by an individual, and capable of sustained fight.

Acknowledging that civilian aircraft are essential for the role they play in facilitating global travel and in the greater international economy as a whole.

Believing that it is the duty of all nations to protect innocent lives regardless of nationality, including during civilian flights over conflict zones.

Resolving thusly to set forth sensible policies which will promote the safety of civilian aircraft in member-nations' airspace, including the maintenance of reliable communication networks by which civilian aircraft may signal if they're in distress.

• That all civilian aircraft, regardless of their flight plans, should be adequately tracked whilst airborne for the sake of avoiding collisions and redirecting in the event of unfavourable atmospheric conditions.
  • That all civilian aircraft itineraries should, if at all economically feasible, be planned to go around conflict zones.
  • All civilian aircraft which are required by their flight paths to fly over conflict zones must maintain constant lines of communication to their nation of origin so long as the aircraft is within the communication range of the aforementioned nation of origin.
    • That if the conflict zone which the aircraft is to fly through exceeds the communication of the home nation, the aircraft must maintain constant lines of communication with the nearest neutral nation to the conflict zone.
  • That all member nations should ensure that adequate crew training is conducted to mitigate the risks of flying a civilian aircraft through a conflict zone to the highest possible degree.
  • That all member nations should provide ample warnings to passengers regarding the potential for their flight to fly through a conflict zone.
  • That the onus is on the pilot alone as to whether or not the aircraft they're in control of should comply with any instructions of any combatants within the conflict zone.

Considering prior General Assembly legislation regarding the tracking, security, international law, and miscellaneous handling of aircraft, as enacted in prior resolutions, to supersede this resolution.

Realising that, regardless of however many precautions are taken, the inherent risk posed to civilian aircraft flying through conflict zones is enough to warrant necessary precautions being taken on the part of all member nations in the event that a civilian aircraft signals that it is in any sort of distress.

Mandating that all member-nations maintain a sufficient vehicular fleet that has a range of up to one hundred kilometres away from their overland borders or coastline to aid distressed aircraft, and if need be, rescue the survivors of any civilian aircraft crash.

Acknowledging that not all member-nations may have the budget required to afford a vehicular fleet for the purposes of both aid and rescue, and thus exempting such nations which are wholly unable to fund these measures.

Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations, NPA personnel, and those on NPA deployments will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote. If you are on an NPA deployment without being formally registered as an NPA member, name your deployed nation in your vote.

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
[Non-WA]
I'm against this resolution. Aside from not really getting a ton of feedback before submitting (only ~3 weeks and less than a full page), it's just not well-written and seems to me to be broad overreach for what should ultimately be up to member nations. I'm especially concerned by the suggestion that the civilian pilot alone should have jurisdiction over what to do with the aircraft in a conflict zone if they receive instruction from combatants.

Last edited:
Against

Well-reasoned above, plus a lot of the clauses really make very little sense, and some are unimplementable. I do quite enjoy "thusly" though.

[Non-WA]
I'm against this resolution. Aside from not really getting a ton of feedback before submitting (only ~3 weeks and less than a full page), it's just not well-written and seems to me to be broad overreach for what should ultimately be up to member nations. I'm especially concerned by the suggestion that the civilian pilot alone should have jurisdiction over what to do with the aircraft in a conflict zone if they receive instruction from combatants.

Against as well, although I note that I have passed resolutions with exactly zero meaningful feedback.

Back