-
Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
ga.jpg

Grilled Cheese Act
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Consumer Protection
Proposed by: Eternal Algerstonia, Co-authored by: Simone Republic | Onsite Topic

The General Assembly,

Recognizing the universal significance of grilled cheese as a culinary delight for all ages, whether it be children eating lunch on a weekend, an adult making their own and dipping it in a soup, or anybody looking for a late-night snack;

Acknowledging the diverse and often misguided interpretations of grilled cheese across cultures, and seeking to rectify these misguided interpretations;

Affirming the need for a universally accepted definition to promote grilled cheese purity;

Hereby:

Defines a grilled cheese as containing melted cheese between two slices of toasted bread, served hot, with optional spread on the bread;

• Defines bread as a baked good made primarily of flour, a leavening agent, water mixed together;

• Defines cheese as a food made primarily from pressed curds of milk; may also have cream, buttermilk, or any other flavor altering agent;

• Defines spread as any spreadable food, e.g. butter, mayo, oil, animal fat;

Encourages World Assembly member states to promote variations of grilled cheese to further culinary variations of grilled cheese and to improve the grilled cheese experience for citizens of World Assembly member states multiverse-wide;

Emphasizes the importance of using high-quality cheese and bread in the preparation of grilled cheese, and to toast the bread until golden-brown, not black or light brown, and to ensure the cheese is fully melted without turning to liquid;

The World Assembly requires that all member states shall prohibit any heated sandwich that does not contain only bread, cheese, and spread to be labelled a "grilled cheese sandwich", and that any sandwich not containing only the aforesaid ingredients must be labelled a "melt". The labelling requirements are applicable to all sandwiches sold or imported/exported by any WA state. The Food and Drug Regulatory Agency of the World Assembly is responsible for enforcement of this labelling requirement.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations, NPA personnel, and those on NPA deployments will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote. If you are on an NPA deployment without being formally registered as an NPA member, name your deployed nation in your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
This resolution discusses a very specific recipe for what is defined as a "grilled cheese sandwich", including bread, cheese made from milk, and a spread such as butter. This is followed by an operative clause requiring that any sandwich that is not made according to the exact recipe is to be labelled a "melt" instead, in a parody of real life food labelling laws that the co-author conceded was a misfire.

Recommendation
A humorous resolution is difficult to pull off in the General Assembly: only a small handful have succeeded, and they tend to be earlier in the development in the GA's long history, and they have almost always been repealed quickly, with a few exceptions (such as GA8). The current preference is for humorous resolutions to be declarations in the Security Council instead. In this instance, we acknowledge that the authors have attempted some rather absurdist humour but we find the jokes lacklustre and uninspiring.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the at-vote GA resolution, Grilled Cheese Act.

Last edited:
The very last clause was from me, and that's in turn from a joke comment I wrote.

Personally Against as well, as I stated in the discord thread that I wasn't going to support it even though Alger used a line I wrote as a joke in the forum thread.

Last edited:
The World Assembly requires that all member states shall prohibit any heated sandwich that does not contain only bread, cheese, and spread to be labelled a "grilled cheese sandwich", and that any sandwich not containing only the aforesaid ingredients must be labelled a "melt". The labelling requirements are applicable to all sandwiches sold or imported/exported by any WA state. The Food and Drug Regulatory Agency of the World Assembly is responsible for enforcement of this labelling requirement.
This is a travesty. Against.

This genuinely amused me, and it reaffirmed my pedantry on the classifications of foodstuffs. However, the last clause does not grammatically cohere with the rest of the proposal. Therefore, I must vote against it.

Against

I should dread having to see many more such drivelous ramblings that bear no value beyond that of referencing an oh-so-relatable quibble.

This is a travesty. Against.
That's the joke part that Alger recycled from me writing a sarcastic line in the forum, effectively so as do the absolute barest minimum necessary to not violate the joke rule.

Last edited:
Against. This isn't close to being funny, it's just sad that Algerstonia is even trying.

That's the joke part that Alger recycled from me writing a sarcastic line in the forum, effectively so as do the absolute barest minimum necessary to not violate the joke rule.
You do know you can pull a resolution if you're listed as co-author?

Against. This isn't close to being funny, it's just sad that Algerstonia is even trying.

You do know you can pull a resolution if you're listed as co-author?

Yes I know, and I am tempted to do so. It's been mentioned a few times on the WA discord for those looking for a pull.

As mentioned in the gameside forums: I release my portion of the text. If this fails, no need to attribute me again. It basically took me about a minute to write the line that gives this thing an operative clause, and I originally meant it as a joke without realizing that Alger would submit it.

Last edited:
Emphasizes the importance of using high-quality cheese and bread in the preparation of grilled cheese, and to toast the bread until golden-brown, not black or light brown, and to ensure the cheese is fully melted without turning to liquid;
The wording of the latterly quoted section may be interpreted in a way that only high quality cheese and bread shall be used for the preparation of grilled cheese, without properly granting the access to grilled cheese, therfore making it (from my understanding) potentially exclusive to those who can afford the raw products or the appropriate equipment to preparate grilled cheese. Consequently, the resolution contradicts itself:
Encourages World Assembly member states to promote variations of grilled cheese to further culinary variations of grilled cheese and to improve the grilled cheese experience for citizens of World Assembly member states multiverse-wide;

Otherwise, I can't really see the purpose, against

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back