He/Him
Discord
green_canine
ga.jpg

Freedom of Opinion and Belief
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Tinhampton | Onsite Topic

Whereas brainwashing is bad and wrong, the General Assembly hereby:
  1. forbids member states from criminalising the holding of any opinion (even when its expression would constitute a crime) and the status of possessing or lacking any arbitrary or reductive characteristic,

2. prohibits the World Assembly and its agents from discriminating against any person or group due to their holding of any opinion, and

3. clarifies that this resolution does not cover the actual expression of opinions or other speech.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
This resolution proposal seeks to declare "brainwashing is bad and wrong", forbids members from "criminalising the holding of any opinion (even when its expression would constitute a crime) and the status of possessing or lacking any arbitrary or reductive characteristic", and then "prohibits the World Assembly and its agents from discriminating against any person or group due to their holding of any opinion".

Recommendation
We are uncertain as to the purpose of this resolution, which appears to be either making sci-fi based assumptions regarding the ability to read minds or it tries to impose back-door protections for views that cannot be expressed in public to hold prejudices as long as they keep to themselves. Either way the resolution appears to be poorly drafted, lacks a preamble explaining the rationale for the draft and does not seem to present a compelling argument.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the General Assembly resolution at vote, "Freedom of Opinion and Belief".

Last edited:
For. I would be strongly opposed if this applied to actual expression of such opinions -- however I don't think it's objectionable to enact this protection for the mere holding of a belief.

I simply don't grasp what Tin is trying to say here. I mean, is there a sci-fi assumption about learning other people's inner thoughts through brain scans or something? Against by the way.

Last edited:
Against. It either does nothing because it relies on mind-reading powers, or it tries to protect people with the worst opinions in the most roundabout way possible. It's either useless or bad. The best thing to say is that the earlier drafts were incomprehensible too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back