Chipoli
Discord
chipoli
ga.jpg

Repeal: “Recognising Achievements Act”
Category: Repeal | GA#146
Proposed by: Mark | Onsite Topic
Replacement: Recognising Academic Qualifications and Skills

General Assembly Resolution #146 “Recognising Achievements Act” (Category: Fair Trade; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Recognising the importance of the issues which the resolution aimed to address, namely ensuring the recognition of academic qualifications across the world;

Believing that academic achievements and qualifications must be vetted only by institutions of the highest quality;

Highlighting the importance of a well-educated workforce and the resultant effect on livelihoods and wider economy;

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution #146, "Recognising Achievements Act" for the following reasons:

1. The current resolution does not ensure parity of treatment of potential applicants; applicants can apply to any number of “national or supranational” organisations, none of which are regulated by any single authority to ensure fairness and acceptable standards, resultantly conflicting judgements on the parity of educational qualifications could occur.
  2. Currently, the resolution fails to determine how “institutes of accreditation” are to be regulated or how they will determine the validity of academic achievement; unregulated and potentially unknowledgeable entities could determine the quality and experience of the workforce resulting in a detrimental effect on the populace and the economy of member nations.
  3. This resolution fails to grant applicants recourse to appeal determinations on qualifications, working contrary to the aims of the resolution.
  4. The current process is open to exploitation from foreign powers who could potentially wish to accredit their courses whilst not ensuring parity of education, this fundamentally undermines the goals of this resolution and could detrimentally affect a member nation.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview
This resolution seeks to repeal the "Recognising Achievements Act" on the grounds of four perceived flaws. These are a lack of a clear policy against discriminatory treatment of applicants, a lack of regulation vis-a-vis determination of "validity of academic achievement", the failure to establish an appeal mechanism, and the potential for subversion by "foreign powers".

Recommendation
We believe that this repeal presents a compelling case to strike out its target, and the resubmitted version fixes a number of minor errors. The target fails to adequately prevent various forms of exploitation of the system by both member nations and institutions. While there have been concerns raised regarding the replacement, we believe that the repeal still manages to stand on its own merits and therefore ought to be passed.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the at-vote GA resolution, "Repeal 'Recognising Achievements Act'".

Last edited by a moderator:
Against. The proposed replacement is actually very choppy. I mean, I don't strictly mind repealing first but I think the replacement doesn't really solve many of the problems cited.

Last edited:
Present

For now, at least; I don't like the target, but I'm not happy with the replacement either.

I don't disagree that there's a compelling case for repeal, but the replacement is just plain bad.
There's still a while before this repeal even hits vote, so any issues with the replacement can be addressed in that time, especially if the author is informed of them in the drafting thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back