Magecastle_Embassy_Building_A5
Discord
red_canine
ga.jpg

Repeal "Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol"
Category: Repeal | GA #600
Proposed by: Magecastle Embassy Building A5 | Onsite Topic
Replacement: None​

Convinced that a resolution being written as "humorous" does not justify serious flaws in the text, as said flaws will still bind member nations regardless of the intent,

Asserting that for many poorer or less-developed member nations, mandating the domestic distribution of pillows forms a rather blatant waste of government funds, reducing the budget available for more vital projects such as healthcare, welfare, or humanitarian aid,

Shocked that the resolution also requires pillows and "functioning sleep medications and sleeping devices" to be "all widely accessible and affordable in their member state", potentially requiring member nations to make even luxurious or expensive pillows and sleeping devices widely affordable alongside cheaper ones,

Emphasising that this burden on member nations is compounded by the target's lack of any form of assistance whatsoever to member nations in complying with its potentially expensive madates, the World Assembly

Strikes out the "Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol".
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
This proposal seeks to repeal the "Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol", a humorous resolution which mandates that pillows, inter alia, be made "widely accessible and affordable". The repeal focuses on arguments relating to cost of the mandates of the target -- specifically, that it wastes funds available for "more vital projects such as healthcare, welfare, or humanitarian aid" both by the intended nature of the mandates and that they require "luxurious or expensive pillows and sleeping devices" to also be widely affordable. The repeal then states that this is an even greater burden on member nations as the target lacks any mechanism to help member nations fund compliance with this resolution.

Recommendation
This repeal presents a compelling argument to repeal a poorly-thought resolution which we opposed at the time and only passed because it was found to be funny. The target is indeed a waste of state funds, although we do not believe that it is possible to address this subject in any way without wasting the funds either of member nations or the World Assembly. More generally, we hope that going forward frivolous legislation such as the target does not pass simply because it is found funny.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the General Assembly resolution at vote, "Repeal Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol".

Last edited by a moderator:
For. Copied from my campaign telegram,

To summarise, the target is intended to be humourous; however the joke has now largely run its course and the target has some significant issues which we can only address by repeal.

The primary issue with the target is that it is very expensive upon poorer or less-developed nations. Not only does it require member nations to ensure that pillows are "widely accessible and affordable", but also that all kinds ("rigidities, sizes, materials, coolnesses, shapes, and functions") of pillows be affordable and accessible. It then goes on to take this even further by requiring "functioning sleep medications and sleeping devices" to also be "all widely accessible and affordable", so even luxurious or expensive pillows, sleeping devices, and medications have to be made widely affordable, even where less expensive alternatives exist.

There are also other issues with this broadness. Sleeping medications with severe potential for abuse, such as Flunitrazepam which is frequently used as a date-rape drug, also have to be made widely affordable and accessible. However, the funding issue would be minor but for a very significant omission in the target: that it leaves each member nation to itself in ensuring that it can fund the distribution of date-rape drugs and luxurious silk pillows (inter alia). The target gives no assistance whatsoever to member nations in complying with the often expensive mandates.

These flaws are, in my opinion, very significant. The target may be intended to be humourous; however this is no excuse for its flaws. In real life, would a body such as the UN or EU impose a policy on its member nations simply because it may be funny to do so?

One should therefore support this repeal.

Last edited:
(IC) Don't you want a nice pillow?

In real life, would a body such as the UN or EU impose a policy on its member nations simply because it may be funny to do so?

Well, there was Brexit.

I vote Against because my own Official Merchandise one can probably be repealed on broadly the same same grounds and I don't want anyone to come and threaten my own resolution.

Last edited:
I wish this would just go away, so sick of the freaking pillows thing. Unfortunately your effort won’t succeed, people are entrenched on this and the same egos that saw this succeed will fiercely defend it. But I’ve always loathed this “joke” and the even worse jokes it has spawned since so naturally you have my support.

For

This repeal presents a compelling argument to repeal a poorly-thought resolution which we opposed at the time and only passed because it was found to be funny. The target is indeed a waste of state funds, although we do not believe that it is possible to address this subject in any way without wasting the funds either of member nations or the World Assembly. More generally, we hope that going forward frivolous legislation such as the target does not pass simply because it is found funny.
Lighten up, tbh.

It's a shame this repeal is passing.
These flaws are, in my opinion, very significant. The target may be intended to be humourous; however this is no excuse for its flaws. In real life, would a body such as the UN or EU impose a policy on its member nations simply because it may be funny to do so?
Newsflash: the WA isn't the UN or EU.

Last edited:
Newsflash: the WA isn't the UN or EU.
Obviously it is not. However my nation will certainly not want legislation imposed upon it simply because it is found funny. No real-life body would impose binding mandates on its member nations actually to be enforced simply because it would be funny; the only reason the WA did is because Ooc players found it funny. NB: Regardless of the "joke" status of a resolution violations are punished by coercive fines and sanctions from all WA members.[1][2].

Last edited:
Yeah, if you don't think that this is funny, the problem's clearly with you. You just don't understand humour, man!

Personally I find it entirely possible to find something unfunny to my own tastes without stomping it out entirely and ruining the fun of people who do find it funny. Perhaps this is something outside the skillset of the otherwise oh-so-skilled WA?

Personally I find it entirely possible to find something unfunny to my own tastes without stomping it out entirely and ruining the fun of people who do find it funny. Perhaps this is something outside the skillset of the otherwise oh-so-skilled WA?
It staying on the books obstructs the playstyle of the (apparently majority) other players, which is why it should be repealed.

Anyway, the General Assembly resolution Repeal "Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol" was passed 11,193 votes to 2,405.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back