Discord
red_canine
ga.jpg

Repeal "Limiting Animal Pathogens"
Category: Repeal | GA #609
Proposed by: Gemeinschaftsland, Co-authored by: Tinhampton | Onsite Topic
Replacement: None​

The World Assembly,

Aware of the need for international measures to challenge the increasingly universal problem of zoonotic disease, including regulations on the import, export, and sale of live animals and animal carcasses,

Concerned that General Assembly Resolution #609 “Limiting Animal Pathogens, ” in seeking to accomplish this worthwhile goal, is unfortunately burdened with many substantial and quite frankly unacceptable oversights, in particular:

1. Finding Clause 2d's requirement that "Any person who tests positive [for a zoonotic disease] under this paragraph may not work at any wet market until such person reliably tests negative for the same zoonotic disease" to be particularly imprudent, not only in that it does not necessarily require that the most reliable tests available be used, but also insofar as it could disbar wet market employees from such work indefinitely (if not permanently) in cases where they are unable to consistently test negative for zoonotic diseases, even when this would pose little to no risk to public health, such as:
    1. Scenarios in which the only available methods of testing have an unacceptable level of accuracy and where there is a high probability of potentially devastating false diagnosis. The issue is only broadened by the lack of any provision requiring that the most reliable tests be those used. Ultimately, all kinds of wet market workers may very well find themselves unable to "reliably [test] negative for the same zoonotic disease", thus preventing them from returning to work and putting their well-being at risk.
    2. Scenarios where a qualifying zoonotic infection (of which there are many) may be treated to the point of safety and nontransmissibility but remains persistent or latent in a host; infected wet market workers, despite posing no further danger to themselves or others, may find themselves unable to ever consistently receive negative test results, permanently preventing them from providing for themselves and their loved ones.
    3. Situations where, even though a disease can be cured and relevant tests may be broadly accurate, the only available testing (such as serology tests) can still return positive results in the weeks, months, and even years after an infection has been effectively cured, thereby preventing afflicted wet market employees from returning to their trades for a significant, or permanent, stretch of time.
  2. Appalled by Clause 4a.'s grossly unreasonable demand that "every animal" intended for import or export be tested (as opposed to the random testing required by Clause 2 in wet market contexts) for qualifying zoonotic illnesses, which could, and almost certainly would, cause member states undue financial and logistical stress, given that livestock and other animals are often transported in bulk and that many requisite tests require substantial time and effort for each sample taken, altogether potentially leading to delays, cost overruns, and economic disaster for WA member states;
  3. Baffled that, throughout Clauses 2 and 4, all rules and regulations fail to take into account the fact that many such zoonotic illnesses lack any adequate testing whatsoever. The resolution's provisions, in failing to carve out exceptions for these diseases, risk locking WA member states into narrow, restrictive, and potentially ineffective public health responses due to mandated misallocation of national resources;

Judging that the pantheon of issues enclosed within this resolution’s provisions more than justifies their immediate removal from extant international law,

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution #609 “Limiting Animal Pathogens”.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
This resolution aims to repeal the narrowly-passed "Limiting Animal Pathogens" for a number of effects perceived as overly burdensome on member nations and wet markets. The repeal first notes that the target prohibits wet market employees from such word indefinitely where they cannot "consistently test negative for zoonotic diseases", regardless of the actual health risk this poses. Next, the repeal argues that requiring "every animal" being imported or exported being tested is often very burdensome financially and logistically. Finally, the repeal argues that the approach of the target is too narrow in mandating testing for zoonotic diseases, due to many zoonotic illnesses "lack[ing] any adequate testing whatsoever".

Recommendation
These effects are undoubtedly very harmful to wet market workers, who may find themselves out of a job because of these overly restrictive provisions. Member nation economies, too, will be unnecessarily harmed by these provisions, to the point that repealing and replacing the resolution is the best course of action.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the General Assembly resolution at vote, "Repeal Limiting Animal Pathogens".

Last edited:
For. GA #609 “Limiting Animal Pathogens” contains several oversights that render it impractical and potentially harmful to both wet market workers and member states, therefore prompting the need for its repeal.

I'm not convinced by ia; this effect seems to me to be beneficial, as if it is uncertain if a worker is ill it is safer not to have them work in a wet market (which I had mentioned to the author here). Otherwise seems fine. Tentative for.

Last edited:
For. I am hopeful that this repeal will lead to a more careful and realizable resolution concerning the handling of this issue, one that is very important for wet markets and wildlife trade as a whole, especially considering this industry's role as a food source for many citizens of underdeveloped nations - which are not always capable of introducing such sanitation means on a national scale. Also recognizing that accurate zoonotic testing is not only very expensive, but can also be limited in production and supply, the WA should consider subsidizing and furthering support for this endeavor before embarking on such reckless implementation of forced testing across the globe.

Against. I would have preferred that Gem and Tin have drafted a replacement beforehand perhaps in conjunction with Barfleur (as the original author of 609) for the draft. I voted present on the original passing of the resolution. I note that Gem voted hard against when Gem voted here.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced by ia; this effect seems to me to be beneficial, as if it is uncertain if a worker is ill it is safer not to have them work in a wet market (which I had mentioned to the author here). Otherwise seems fine. Tentative for.
Changing my vote to against, because I am all for forcibly burdening wet markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back