Pallaith for Justice 5/4.5: the Return

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
I am back again running for Justice, which may surprise a few of you, but what do I know maybe I’m being super predictable. As some of you may remember, after being on the Court for over a year, I had to leave to return to the delegacy. Since that ended I have served in my successor’s administration, and our work has been incredibly successful. However, it is very difficult for an outgoing delegate to stay on in a major capacity, so fortunately for me I was able to take on a role that would be short-lived but would set up the legislative agenda for the term. We are on the cusp of seeing that project come to fruition, but that’s not what this particular thread is about - that’s just meant to explain why I am here running for a spot on the Court again.

The fact is, I quite enjoyed my time on the Court despite so much of it coinciding with one of the Court’s most quiet periods. I was proud to serve as Chief Justice and draft two opinions in my final days on the Court. I enjoyed the update to our case archive that I worked on, and I’m always happy to keep records up to date and make sure the threads move where they must. With the advent of the bar commission, I’m excited by the prospect of seeing a new dimension to our legal system and being able to support it from the bench. For many, the Court is boring or a place to retire. I don’t know how to retire, but I will admit the slower pace of the Court will be a bit refreshing after the ten or so months I’ve recently experienced.

Since I’ve been here so many times in the not so distant past, I’m confident my experience and skill in the position speaks for itself. You ought to know what to expect from me by this point. I have four previous campaign threads you can take a peek at if you want to dive into my judicial philosophy. I’m happy to take questions and comments especially considering recent events with the Court (I’m not exactly without an opinion on that). And I won’t deny that those recent events have played their part in my mulling over a return to the Court. But I will say that personal investment in the outcome of the recent r4r that happened while I was Delegate aside, I felt strongly about it precisely because of my tenure on the Court - as a former Justice I had a very particular notion of how cases should be handled and how to approach the law. It doesn’t take much for the Court’s legitimacy and sincerity to be questioned, and as willing as I am to try new things and break boundaries, I am intensely protective of our institutions and cautious when considering the broad impact this Court’s decisions can have on the rest of the government and the region at large. I hope that by now you know how seriously I take that duty and the Court’s role as a co-equal branch, and that if you return me to the Court I will continue to safeguard that role.

This is the type of election that I think is best suited for specific questions, because I can’t really pledge anything or predict what we’ll face in the months ahead. We may end up with no cases to hear at all. We may have a flurry. It’s just the way it goes. The Court records to be released will be released. The decisions archive will be updated. I may make more tweaks to it if I get the opportunity to serve as Chief Justice again, hopefully to add additional details about the cases that can be useful when looking for whatever it is you want to see (such as a summary of the holding, the parties involved so you don’t have to look back at the original thread, that sort of thing). Let me know if there’s something you think the Court can do between cases that maybe is faking through the cracks. Believe me, we’ll have time to look into it.

I look forward to your input, but most of all, I look forward to receiving your vote in this election.

I think you’re one of the most experienced players in TNP and have proven that you can succeed in any role you will be given. You’ve got my support!

latest

What is there to say? You have my full support Ghost. o7

Alright, some questions:
  1. How would you describe your political views? Ex., right, left, liberal, progressive?

2. Name one occurrence that you believe was/is significant to your time on the judicature.

3. What motivates you to renominate yourself for a position on the court?

Alright, some questions:
1. I’m solid Elizabeth Warren progressive, but that has nothing to do with anything we’ll be doing on the Court. Unless you were just curious and want to build that into your vote for this role which would be kind of odd but it’s your vote.

2. I wrote two opinions, one of which was a landmark freedom of speech decision that affirmed the Delegate’s right to suppress posts on the RMB and set guidelines for moderation on the RMB. I don’t say that to suggest my opinion in particular was important or that it’s a big deal because it came from me, but because freedom of speech cases are actually a bit rare in our judicial record, and we almost never consider RMB policing actions, so it was filling a very large empty space.

3. I feel this question is addressed by my first post in this thread. I enjoy the work and I want to be here following some troubling developments that took place on this Court recently that gave me concern. As they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

1. I’m solid Elizabeth Warren progressive, but that has nothing to do with anything we’ll be doing on the Court. Unless you were just curious and want to build that into your vote for this role which would be kind of odd but it’s your vote.

2. I wrote two opinions, one of which was a landmark freedom of speech decision that affirmed the Delegate’s right to suppress posts on the RMB and set guidelines for moderation on the RMB. I don’t say that to suggest my opinion in particular was important or that it’s a big deal because it came from me, but because freedom of speech cases are actually a bit rare in our judicial record, and we almost never consider RMB policing actions, so it was filling a very large empty space.

3. I feel this question is addressed by my first post in this thread. I enjoy the work and I want to be here following some troubling developments that took place on this Court recently that gave me concern. As they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Could you emphasize on the "troubling developments" in the judicature?

Also, what is it like on the court? If I were a judge, how would you predict my experience on the court based on your own?

Pallaith is referencing the same Court decision I named as most influential for me. You can see the R4R thread here, with Pallaith's longer response to the Court's ruling here, and the debate in the Regional Assembly on changing the law here. I'm not sure it's correct to call it a development, though, as that could imply a coordinated agenda. Pallaith believes the Court erred, and as a first step took the matter to the Regional Assembly and got legislation passed that made much of that particular Court ruling largely irrelevant. In my view that's basically what should happen if someone thinks the Court went wrong in interpreting the law: have the Assembly clarify the law.

Also, what is it like on the court? If I were a judge, how would you predict my experience on the court based on your own?

Yeah AS is pretty much right. I was not pleased with that ruling, and while it's not a big deal, I wasn't sold on the latest r4r either (I would have taken Zyvet's position and more or less dismissed the matter, as I felt the existing ruling was good enough).

I'm not sure how to answer your second question though. The Court can be slow and quiet and then suddenly bursting with things to do, but it's a very relaxed affair, even when there's decisions to be made. But as for predicting your experience...I don't know. Some people get elected to the Court and have a busy term considering a variety of issues. Others go four months without doing anything. There's really no predicting which version you'll get, but I can say that you'll probably have the help of someone who knows their way around it. It's not the most unfriendly to newcomers position there is, but you still have to take it seriously and put real effort into it if you find yourself having to hear a trial or decide on an r4r. The Court can be easygoing and not ask much of you, but when it does ask something of you, the stakes can be very high and you need to be ready to rise to the moment.

Do you promise to collect all the relics?

I will try, but there's always some annoying monk who swoops in before I get to them all.

Back