[Split][R4R] On Treaties and Sanctions

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
There is a lot to unpack with this ruling, so I'm going to take it piece by piece. The Court's position on standing, regional interest, and the statement of facts are standard and not at issue, so I will begin with the definition of treaties.

On the Definition of Treaty​

Before the Court can make a determination on the matter before us, we must determine what a treaty is. The Constitution offers us some limited information in Article 3, Section 3, “The Delegate may negotiate treaties with foreign powers or propose the repeal of existing treaties.” This establishes a treaty as an agreement between the North Pacific and a foreign power. Taken in a plain reading, this would mean any agreement between the North Pacific and any foreign power is a treaty and must be voted on by the Regional Assembly. Such an interpretation would be impractical and absurd. Absent further clarification in the Constitution or the Legal Code from the Regional Assembly, the Court must turn to the intent and historical application of the clause.

The Court was correct here - reading any agreement between TNP and foreign powers as a treaty would be absurd...which is why it's a shame they go on to do just this. Treaties take a very particular kind of form, and have a very particular effect - we can see precisely what that looks like from the various treaties we have established over the years. No one would mistake that for some other form of agreement, and we have a handy historical list of treaties to consult.

Looking to the intent of the clause, the Court turns to the discussion in the Regional Assembly on the adoption of the current Constitution in 2015 and the subsequent amendment in 2022 and finds little guidance. The interpretation of and application of the treaty clause was apparently well established in previous iteration of the regions laws, and the only real question the Assembly had was on if a Treaty should be repealed with or without initiation by the sitting Delegate. Therefore the Court dove into the historical records to clarify this matter.

This is interesting. The Court contemplated all of our case law on treaties for our current constitutional period and concluded it was insufficient for them to make a determination, so they consulted the historical record. This is not inherently problematic, although I would contend that any legally binding conclusion they come to as it relates to our current constitution should not be held up by old laws that are no longer controlling on the region.

As far back as the 2005 Constitution, treaties were initiated by the sitting executive authority and addressed the diplomatic and military relationships with other regions. Article 2, Section 4, of the 2005 Constitution (https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/630027/#post-83300) and TNP Law 9 (https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/630028/#post-83315) formulated treaties as diplomatic, military, or both. From the earliest treaties (the Lion Star Pact https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/630030/#post-83322) to the treaties used today, there is a common formula that is used.
  1. A recognition between the regions of the lawful governments.
  2. Statements on the terms of the treaty.
  3. Signed by the Executive Authority of each region.
  4. Formal adoption by the legal methods of signatories.
The Court notes that over time, embassy agreements moved from the formal treaty process to a “handshake” agreement and a formal policy from the executive.

The Court generally defines a treaty, until such time the Regional Assembly elects to formulate a definition, as the following:

A treaty is an agreement signed, ratified, or adhered to between the North Pacific and one or more foreign sovereigns, that will remain in effect indefinitely until either formally revoked or irreparable breached, and which outlines binding obligations and responsibilities of the signatories.

Thankfully, the Court crafted criteria that are consistent with treaties we have today as well as those we had in the past. It is reasonable for them to apply these characteristics in determining if something may be considered a treaty. I do not know how I feel about the Court defining a treaty in any official way, but as they said, the RA can nip this particular problem in the bud and choose whatever definition we wish if we're not good with letting the Court legislate from the bench. We will have to keep note of that criteria, however, because it is not actually properly considered when the Court makes its conclusion. As for their definition, it is conveniently broad and muddies the waters between executive commitments which are binding on the Delegate making them and any subsequent Delegate who chooses to honor those commitments, and permanent commitments in the form of actual treaties. This definition also leaves out the fourth criteria, regarding legal methods of signatories. I would interpret this to mean that a treaty...has to follow the process the treaty is mandated to follow in the law. But that isn't important in the Court's definition - they draw a line around every single type of agreement conceivable, including the distinction I took pains to make.

The Court said it was unreasonable to treat every single agreement between TNP and a foreign government as being a treaty, and then defined treaties to include every type of agreement between TNP and a foreign government! At this point, why even bother going point by point with the criteria? I guess if we make specific time limits those are the only ones that aren't treaties...but what happens if we renew the agreement again? At what point does it become indefinite? Does it have to have an expiration date and then just end? I guess that's the only kind of agreement the Delegate is empowered to make now without it being considered a treaty.

On the Definition of Sanctions​

Sanctions are not called out by name within the law, but the Court notes the intent behind Section 7.7 of the Legal Code. Within the Regional Assembly debate on this law, it is clear to the court that this established a formal legal procedure to indefinitely impose sanctions on regions hostile to the North Pacific. The law contemplates two forms of sanctions. The first is an informal sanction that can be revoked at any time by the Delegate. The second being a formal sanction, which requires Regional Assembly approval to impose or remove. The law further states that sanctions are automatically imposed upon regions that are exempt by the Regional Assembly from use of force restrictions by the North Pacific Army. After reviewing the law, debate, and the submitted briefs in this review, it is clear that sanctions are a punitive measure taken by the executive against a foreign region, that may or may not be done in a formal manner.

With these terms in mind, the Court turns to the first matter at hand.

The Brotherhood of Malice is already sanctioned by the RA, such as its existing sanctions allow, by virtue of being exempted from use of force restrictions. Note that the Court observes these are punitive against foreign regions, because that is key.

On the Delegate’s statement on the events in Equilism​

Since all laws and government policy are subservient to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (Constitution, Article 1, Section 1 & Constitution, Article 6, Section 17), the Court begins its analysis of the matter by determining if the statement meets the criteria of a treaty.

We evaluate the first condition of the treaty process which is the recognition between lawful governments. The Court finds that there is an abundance of evidence to support this. First, the existing treaty known as the Modern Gameplay Compact, establishes recognition of the signatories as the lawful governments of their respective regions. The Delegate, in their brief, further supports this, “(...) someone who was at the table when they were discussed among the regions of the Modern Gameplay Compact (MGC) (...)” Even if no treaty exists, the Court finds that there is mutual recognition between the government of the North Pacific and the respective signatories of the statement. It is clear from the statement and from the Delegates brief that the government has recognized the signatories on the international and internal political stage.

The Court is asked to evaluate if the formal list of sanctions our government signed on to is a treaty, and concludes that it meets their first criteria for a treaty because the MGC is a treaty, and I mentioned that these sanctions were discussed by the regions in the MGC. I don't follow this logic. You have before you a document, and you are asked to identify if it is a treaty or not. One way to tell if something is a treaty is if the document contains within it recognition of lawful governments. All of our proper treaties passed by the RA do this. The MGC sanctions do not. This is clearly evident from looking at the document. The fact they were crafted by regions who signed on to an actual treaty, and that said treaty establishes recognition of government, cannot magically be transferred to this sanctions document. The Court misapplied the first of its four criteria for treaties. But again, given its definition of a treaty, that really isn't even relevant.

The second part is the statement on the terms of the treaty and here the Statement continues to meet the standards set above. The terms of the statement bar the signatories from conducting military operations, cultural events, and supporting WA proposals authored by the proscribed regions and peoples. However, there are no penalties for non-compliance with the statement outside of conflict with the original Modern Gameplay Compact Treaty.

I suppose any formal document that lists terms would meet the second criteria of the treaty. This seems kind of obvious. It is good that they pointed out there are no penalties for non-compliance though, because the Court's one sentence definition of a treaty specifically emphasizes that the agreement must be binding, and a lack of penalties for failing to comply with the document certainly calls that into question. The fact that they again reference the MGC, while important for their ultimate conclusion, again has no bearing on whether this specific document can be considered a treaty. The MGC is indisputably a treaty. So what?

The third part is the matter which is before us. If this is a treaty, then ratification from the Regional Assembly is required.
The Delegate, in their brief, posited that the sanctions are a policy that is not binding upon The North Pacific outside the Delegate’s right to direct the Executive. Newly elected Delegates can revoke policies instituted by their predecessors, and the Delegate argues that this is true for the sanctions. Should the Delegate elect to join or issue sanctions in partnership with other signatories, and not have it fall under the requirements of a treaty, the Delegate should clearly state within the text of the sanctions that they are non-binding on the government and can be revoked at any time.

Correct, a treaty requires ratification, and if I were writing up a treaty I would present it to the RA. I wrote up a list of sanctions, which is clearly not a treaty. The Delegate makes decisions, and even formalizes directives, that are binding on the executive government. These last as long as the Delegate allows them to. They are not permanent and they are not inherently binding on future delegates. This is the same principle at work in executive orders in the real world. The Court acknowledges that I made this argument, and then makes one of the dumbest pronouncements I have seen so far in this decision by saying that the Delegate should clearly state in the document's text that it is non-binding on the government and can be revoked at any time. Newsflash: every single signatory of those sanctions already knows that. If we didn't want that to be the case, guess what? We would have made it a treaty!

I know the Court read my brief because they quoted from it, but they clearly did not actually take anything it said to heart, because evidently they do not actually grasp the distinction between an executive agreement or directive and a treaty. The MGC regions made a binding commitment to each other in the MGC treaty. We made a commitment to each other in the sanctions. Notice the missing word. Any one region can simply stop enforcing the sanctions or, more realistically, inconsistently enforce them. This is not how proper treaties work, which is why people handle them so particularly, and why treaties carry the weight they do. This is such an elementary point it was bad enough I had to write a brief on it, but it's even worse that the brief I wrote was completely disregarded. I have to explicitly write on our agreements with other regions, including ones we publish to the world and expect to have a significant impact, that they don't really count? Who would sign such a stupid document? I haven't seen the court disrespect and interfere this outrageously with the Delegate's ability to engage in foreign affairs, I think ever. This truly is a new low, and quite sad to see from people playing a political simulator game.

Holding​

For the reasons outlined above, the Court would hold that if this Statement was a stand alone statement it would be considered a treaty under our laws. The Statement establishes an agreement between the North Pacific and foreign sovereigns, it has a statement of terms, and it is held as a responsibility between regions. Nominally, this would require the Regional Assembly to hold a vote on ratification of this course of action. But this statement does not stand alone, although it was not briefed, the Modern Gameplay Compact is a ratified treaty that is factorable in this matter. Specifically, these sanctions are already approved and incorporated by Section 3, Subsection 5 of the treaty.

“5. In addition to military assistance in case of military attacks, signatories are strongly encouraged to assist in appropriate retaliation against the hostile party, through the World Assembly, other military actions, diplomatic sanctions, or whatever course of action is agreed upon by the signatories.”

The Delegate outlined in the original statement that all signatories debated and agreed to the sanctions listed in the Statement. As such it is proper to judge it under the above cited clause. It is held by this court that the Delegate’s statement is enforcement of Section 3, Subsection 5 of the Modern Gameplay Compact and does not require further ratification from the Regional Assembly. The Statement in question is an exercise of the cited clause by the Delegate.

Ultimately it turned out to be a good thing that the Court kept looking at the MGC treaty, because out of left field, it does a complete 180 and says actually, the sanctions aren't a treaty because they're this other thing instead. To be clear, this is a fine example of reaching the right result for the wrong reason. As a former Chief Justice of the Court, I am alarmed how close this Court came to making the absurd ruling that the sanctions document was a treaty. They basically did say it was one though, even as they changed their course at the end here, which is still plenty bad. This conclusion does not fully contextualize the entire treaty definition that the Court provided earlier - where is the bit about binding obligations here? That would rule it out too right? For another, wasn't the whole indefinitely effective thing important? Which definition exactly are we actually applying in this moment? The Court's ultimate conclusion was that this was basically a treaty, but it actually wasn't because it was enforcing a different treaty. I take that to mean the Court does see nuance in agreements between TNP and other regions, despite what that earlier definition says that we must all abide by - except apparently the Court in the same ruling where it invented that definition.

To be honest, I thought the first question the Court considered was a slam dunk and super obvious, but they proved me wrong. It's no wonder things went so wrong with the second question given everything leading up to it.

On the Delegate’s Ability to Sanction Residents of the North Pacific​

The second issue before us is the Delegates' use of sanctions on residents of the North Pacific due to their association, past or present, with the regions outlined in the statement. These sanctions prevent the resident from participating in the North Pacific military operations, attending government cultural events, being hosted or part of the North Pacific Media shows, and hold the Government to actively work against any World Assembly proposal presented by the resident. During the discussion of the statement and the subsequent brief, the Delegate cites prior court rulings and the Reject Fascism Law to support his decision to sanction residents of the North Pacific.
When a member of government establishes an extrajudicial punishment upon a resident of a region, no matter the context, without prior notice, due process, or recourse, the Court must examine the actions under the strictest of scrutiny. It is the duty of all members of government to ensure the rights of the residents are protected to the fullest extent possible.

This right here already does not bode well. While the Court's comment about examining a government's actions when it is imposing an extrajudicial punishment on a resident is absolutely correct, the fact they mentioned this here is concerning, because the sanctions are not an extrajudicial punishment. But the Court is simply expressing the importance of vigilance - a ruling that goes on to explain how that's not going on here would conceivably have such a phrase in it, and it is not necessarily making an accusation of the government. But this Court...yeah you already know they're going to do that.

On the Right of Free Speech, Association, and Assembly​

Many speech acts receive no protection under the residents right to Free Speech: Perjury, Treason, Espionage are not considered protected speech and such exclusions are so uncontroversial as they often go unlitigated. Others are absolutely protected that any attempt to interfere with them will result with the utmost hostility from the Courts and residents of the region: the right to criticise the Government, the right in political beliefs, World Assembly membership are all protected. The Court has been called to evaluate when speech can be restricted or compelled: Oath taking, Government Disclosures, Promoting Fascism, and violating community standards have all been upheld as various restrictions on speech. With the petition before the Court, we must evaluate the intersection of the Executives authority on Foreign Affairs, its ability to conduct regional and inter-regional events, the citizens right to Free Speech, Assembly, and revisit the Court's ruling on the Right of Association.

When evaluating this matter, the Court looked at its ruling On the Constitutionality of the Reject Fascism Act. The Court finds that part of the reasoning in that case is not in line with the Bill of Rights and must strike parts of it down. The right of association is a part of both the right of Assembly and the right of Free Speech. Effective advocacy of both public and private points of view is undeniably enhanced by group association as this Court has recognized by remarking upon the close nexus between the freedom of Speech and Assembly. It is immaterial whether the beliefs sought to be advanced by association pertain to political, religious or cultural matters, and the executive action which may have the effect of curtailing the freedom to associate is subject to the strictest scrutiny. This does not mean the right to associate is absolute. How can it be when the rights in which it relies on to exist are not absolute?
The right to associate, speech, and assembly can be restricted if certain conditions are met and it is through these restrictions that the Reject Fascism Bill survives. When evaluating and applying these conditions, all deference must be given to the rights of the individual over the rights of the government.
  1. Is there a compelling government interest?
  2. Is this the least restrictive means to achieve the government interest?
  3. Is there prior notice to the individual?
  4. Is there a means for due process and recourse?

The Reject Fascism Act has a compelling government interest. It seeks to prevent proponents of an ideology that promotes hate and harm from having a fertile field to advance its ideology. It is the least restrictive means to achieve this interest as it prevents only the acceptance of citizenship, but not from regional interactions. Individuals are given notice that their promotion of Fascism would bar them from citizenship. Most importantly, a person whom this law is used against is granted due process and recourse through the Vice Delegate appeal process and via the Court. For these reasons, the Reject Fascism Act survives the challenge under the various provisions of the Bill of Rights.

This is an interesting direction this Court chose to go in. Here it is establishing that being a fascist falls under the Bill of Right's protection for assembly, by virtue of protecting association with a group, but they contend that the Reject Fascism Act nevertheless is okay because it met the criteria they created in this ruling. Fine. I disagree with the Bill of rights assembly protection being used in this way - the context of that right is crucial to understanding what is being protected. "Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances." This is separated from the other rights, and included in the section for redress of grievances. The Court has decided assembly means something else, and then further extends it to association. The Court is just inventing new rights whole cloth at this point.

But more concerning to me are the criteria used to salvage the Reject Fascism Act. These criteria are reasonable and clearly apply to laws. The sanctions are not a law. They are executive policy and they target foreign groups. Recall that the Court itself pointed this out. Now see how they examine the sanctions on this particular question.

The sanctions issued by the Delegate against residents of the North Pacific do not survive evaluation under the Bill of Rights. Residents are not given prior notice. The Bill of Rights, Section 6 holds that “No Nation shall be held to answer for a crime in a manner not prescribed by the Constitution or the Legal Code.” These sanctions impose a crime, the association with the Brotherhood of Malice and/or the Black Hawks, and a punishment, barred from participation in regional events and instant hostilities against any World Assembly proposal they may present. The conditions required to trigger these provisions, apart from just an association, are not clear. There is no mention of how far back and how much association is needed to trigger these provisions. Does it apply to a person who was active within these regions 3 years ago? Does posting on the regional message board of those regions constitute an association? What about being an Ambassador to one or more of those regions? There is nothing in the sanctions that gives notice to the residents of what actions are being punished except a vague notion of association. Residents are not aware of what level association triggers these sanctions until the Delegate elections to bar them from an event, and only if the Delegate elects to tell them the reason.

Clearly the Court and I fundamentally disagree on this point. Have you read the sanctions? That's literally prior notice! Well, not in the legal sense, but who cares - the Court is not using that correctly either. The very fact this was challenged in Court is because everyone was given notice of the government's new policy, otherwise how would they even know they had to challenge it? Again, this is pretty obvious stuff guys. What was the prior notice (again, used the way the Court is, and not how it is typically used) in the Reject Fascism Act, reading the law? If so, it's the same principle. Because if the person is expected to be warned ahead of time in some nebulous past, that's definitely not happening when the Vice Delegate rejects a fascist from citizenship.

The Court then cites the Bill of Rights about answering to crimes in a manner not prescribed by the Constitution or Legal Code. This is strange because there's no crime...oh the Court then says the sanctions impose a crime. Sorry, that is not how sanctions work. I cannot unilaterally make things crimes in this region. Any resident who may be impacted by these sanctions will not have a criminal record, and is clearly not violating a crime. Sanctions are things we will do in relation to members of the targeted hostile regions. To take this seriously, one would have to accept that I am somehow charging and executing a sentence on people who are not in TNP for violating TNP law. That would be absurd in any scenario, let alone this one. The Court is now reinventing the definitions of words. The Court then overcomplicates what is honestly a rather simple read, if you read the actual sanctions. People who are members of the organization are impacted. If you're not a member, you are not impacted. If you RMB post is made through an embassy, you are not a member. If you're an ambassador to them you are by definition not a member. These are all obvious with a quick read of the sanctions, which I note were not listed in the things the Court actually considered, which would be very odd right? Again, the sanction document is the notice. I hesitate to add this, but duh. What is the level of association that triggers the sanctions? Being a member of the organization. It's in black and white. I told them the reason, in the document. That's why we're here.

And nothing they are doing is being "punished." We are, as the Court knows and acknowledged, targeting foreign groups. Residents are impacted only so far as they maintain both residency in TNP and membership in the sanctioned organizations. We have no issue with them as members of TNP's community, and they are breaking no law and certainly not being punished for doing so. The nature of NS is such that people can be of multiple regions. Residents hit by these sanctions are collateral damage.

The sanctions further fail on granting Due Process and recourse for those affected. There is no process spelled out, such as a trial or appeal to the Court, that an affected party can challenge the determination that they are subjected to these sanctions nor is there an length of time they will be subjected to it. As noted previously, even the Reject Fascism Act has a process in which an affected party can challenge the determination that they are subjected to the act. What the Delegate has done here is created the North Pacific equivalent of a No Fly List. A list which the only real way to find out if you are subjected to it is when it's applied to you, a list in which you can not challenge the process or the fact you are on it, and a list you can not be removed from.

Why would there be a trial if no law was broken? Due process dos not apply here, that isn't how that works either. I'm surprised the Court doesn't know that, but then again, it thinks I am charging Souls and Venico with violating TNP law because I pledged to exclude them from balls and parties and to vote against their WA proposals, so maybe this isn't surprising. and then the Court says I created a no fly list for TNP, and one that somehow the Court still thinks people won't know they're on. I don't need to repeat myself here do I? And cannot be removed? Have you considered...not being in BoM? That would take you off "the list." But it should be noted "the list" is the targeted organizations, not individuals. The Court is doing a lot of rhetorical work with this section of the ruling. Good drama but embarrassing law.

The Court must address, in its ruling, that parts of the sanctions are covered by the explicit and inherent power of the Delegate. The Delegate is the de-facto commander of the North Pacific Army, the Delegate and their designee are charged with maintaining an active and well trained military. To that extent, the Delegate can elect to exclude residents from entering and participating in the military who do not meet the standards set by the executive. This can include activities within regions that are in conflict. The Delegate’s application and creation of their World Assembly policy is one that has grown through tradition, more than law. By the nature of being the World Assembly Delegate, the Delegates vote has more power than the average resident. The Delegate has the right to use that vote as they see fit, until such time as the Regional Assembly chooses to regulate it.

Finally, the Court turns to the exclusion of residents from media and cultural events held and/or sponsored by the North Pacific. The Delegate and other supporting briefs argue that the government cannot be required to promote and host messages and people it does not want to. They further argue that there is no right to attend events hosted by the region. To an extent, that is true. The Government cannot be required to promote messages it does not want to through certain mediums. The Government cannot be required to send regional telegrams, post dispatches, or host media content on its channel. But the Government is required to host messages in public forums, such as the regional message board, off site forums, and other publicly accessible channels; absent a court order, legal prohibition, or moderator action. The Court finds that this principle holds here. Media shows are a semi-private medium in which the Government can choose whom to host. The Government cannot exclude residents whom it disagrees with from events that are open to the region and/or the public, absent a court sentence, due process, or legal prohibition. Such an action would violate the residents right to assemble and their right to free speech.

By all accounts, it is entirely true, not to an extent. The worst thing about this conclusion is that somehow, attending a festival is now being held to a stricter standard than obtaining citizenship in this region. We have spent countless cases on the importance of citizenship and we all know it is jealously guarded and protected and any attempt to limit it or make it more susceptible to removal is carefully scrutinized. And yet the Court still held that its new right of being a member of whatever group you want can be curtailed by the law that bars citizenship for people who are fascists. But if TNP holds a neighborhood barbeque, it is a huge violation of our residents' constitutional rights if we tell them they can't come. And really, as I said before, we're not telling Gladio the TNP citizen he's not allowed, we're telling Gladio the BoM assassin, who rides with the people who repeatedly invaded our treaty allies, that he and his BoM friends can't come to our BBQ. It is the nature of NS that he can be both people at the same time. To create this sacred constitutional right, the Court had to redefine assembly from redressing grievances with government to joining any groups, including groups hostile to our region, and to create the right of association, and then assert that somehow showing up to our party is an act of political speech that I am violating if I tell them they can't come.

I don't disagree with these residents. I mean, maybe I do, but this is not a political disagreement or a difference in opinion. This is TNP taking a stand against aggressive actors who have wronged our friends and responding to them in the strongest terms we have. They were never designed to be deployed against TNP residents for being TNP residents or for their own personal beliefs or actions. They are caught in the crossfire. The Court really should have explored the question of duality, and paid closer attention to the aspects of my brief talking about the Delegate's foreign policy authority, because those were key issues that were completely ignored for the sake of legislating from the bench and making some of the strangest, non-legally sound conclusions I have seen from this Court in years. I think the only one worse is the one that set off the infamous nesting doll r4r.

Holding​

Sanctions, by their very nature, are punitive for reasons held earlier in this order. The Delegate does not have the authority to impose extrajudicial punishments and by extension impose sanctions on residents, nor can they make actions of a resident a crime by fiat. The Regional Assembly holds the sole authority to define crimes. Any resident of the North Pacific that faces punitive action by the Government is entitled to prior notice that their actions may result in adversarial actions, and such actions are subject to due process of law. While the Government cannot be required to host messages it disagrees with, it cannot prevent residents from attending events hosted or sponsored by the Government that are open to the public and/or the region, unless those residents are individually convicted of a crime or association is proscribed with a declaration of war under Article 3, Section 4 of the Constitution.

Sanctions are punitive, yes. They are targeted at foreign organizations, and they do not assert any laws that are being broken. They are not extrajudicial, because that is not being used correctly here, and I am not making something a crime by fiat. This is junk law. No one is questioning the RA's ability to make law, though by inventing a brand new constitutional right, you have constrained their ability to legislate on this matter as well.

I am sorely disappointed in this result, largely as a result of the serious and concerning blunders in judgment and application of law that it involved. The Court was inconsistent with our understanding of the Bill of Rights, but more egregiously, with its own conclusions and criteria, creating a shifting mess of justification and analysis that are sure to befuddle us in the future. I thank you for you doing your job and spending the great amount of time you did to give the region an answer, but respectfully, I do not thank you for the ruling you actually delivered.

As with before there's only one thing I want to talk about, which is the freedom of assembly/association/speech section. As we all know, the rights created in Section 2 of the Bill of Rights are ripped from the First Amendment, so let's see what the Supreme Court has to say about the freedom of association:
Although the First Amendment does not explicitly mention freedom of association, the Supreme Court ruled, in NAACP v. Alabama (1958),[352][353] that this freedom was protected by the amendment and that privacy of membership was an essential part of this freedom.[354] In Roberts v. United States Jaycees (1984), the Court stated that "implicit in the right to engage in activities protected by the First Amendment" is "a corresponding right to associate with others in pursuit of a wide variety of political, social, economic, educational, religious, and cultural ends".
In any case, freedom of assembly and freedom of association are widely considered interrelated these days and are usually addressed together (see these as examples). And just to be clear, freedom of association is a fundamental right which guarantees, among other things, the legality of political parties. So I guess in a very technical interpretation you can argue the freedom of association doesn't exist in our Constitution, but (a) I highly doubt the intention when whoever drafted our Bill of Rights decided to copy these rights straight from the First Amendment was to deliberately exclude the freedom to association; and (b) asserting it exists in our Constitution is hardly "inventing new rights whole cloth".

Also any discussion on the specifics of the ruling should probably be moved from here to a new thread.

Last edited:
I have split two post from the thread. If you have an argument against the ruling and standing, please file an appeal if you want the court to rehear. General comments otherwise, please use the thread in the Public Gallery.

And the Chief Justice has also evidently never seen a past decisions thread which includes critique and response to the ruling. Hardly the first time this has happened, and my post is not meant to be an appeal to the ruling. This is evident from reading the damn post.

Determining the definition of a treaty is a big bag of worms that I am simply too tired to comment on at the moment.

As to the sanctions, it seems to me far simpler (and far more brief.) I would indeed count the sanctions, in the context of North Pacific citizens, as violations of our right to free assembly. Specifically with regards to cultural events. No matter what region it takes place in or who should happen to attend, all North Pacific citizens are guaranteed the right to free assembly. Especially in something as harmless as some regional or interregional festival. To violate that right in such a way is an extreme display of the executive government overreaching. If citizens do indeed not face punishment for breaching the terms of the sanctions, then why make the sanctions in the first place? Furthermore, this particular aspect of the sanctions violate every treaty The North Pacific has that includes a clause mandating cultural activities between the signatory regions of any citizens of the signatory regions that should happen to be a member of the sanctioned regions. I would posit that the sanctions are not just unreasonable. They also conflict with both the Bill of Rights and multiple treaties. The executive government has overstepped its boundaries.

Last edited:
No matter what region it takes place in or who should happen to attend, all North Pacific citizens are guaranteed the right to free assembly. Especially in something as harmless as some regional or interregional festival.
The idea that the right to free assembly extends to what is essentially a fully government-operated platform does not make sense to me. Freedom of assembly is basically the freedom to peacefully associate with other individuals, not to attend any one particular venue or another. The Delegate could not prohibit someone from forming a political party nor could the Delegate use their power to punish individuals for this act. Participation in an interregional festival is not a right under freedom of association. I could see (though I would disagree with) the argument that prohibiting individuals from attending a festival because of their memberships in other regions would be an abuse of power, but I think the notion that freedom of assembly grants one the inherent right to attend a festival is nonsensical.
Furthermore, this particular aspect of the sanctions violate every treaty The North Pacific has that includes a clause mandating cultural activities between the signatory regions of any citizens of the signatory regions that should happen to be a member of the sanctioned regions.
We do not have any treaties that impose a specific requirement or quota of cultural activities (such as requiring a certain number of festivals or events per year). While we do have some treaties that "signatories shall endeavor to conduct communal cultural activities to the benefit of members of both regions" (Sacagawea Alliance Mk. II) or something to that effect, this does not really compel either party to host any specific cultural events at any time. Indeed, by your logic we have been in violation of several treaties, such as the aforementioned one with Equilism and also certainly the one with Taijitu. That last part also just goes to show that, no matter how a treaty is worded, it cannot really be made to be binding on either party. What are you going to do - go to court to force the government to host an event with Taijitu?

The idea that the right to free assembly extends to what is essentially a fully government-operated platform does not make sense to me. Freedom of assembly is basically the freedom to peacefully associate with other individuals, not to attend any one particular venue or another. The Delegate could not prohibit someone from forming a political party nor could the Delegate use their power to punish individuals for this act. Participation in an interregional festival is not a right under freedom of association. I could see (though I would disagree with) the argument that prohibiting individuals from attending a festival because of their memberships in other regions would be an abuse of power, but I think the notion that freedom of assembly grants one the inherent right to attend a festival is nonsensical.

The court didnt say there is a right to attend a festival. It said you generally cant be excluded by the government from a regional or public event, only because you are associated with someone the government doesn't like.

The court didnt say there is a right to attend a festival. It said you generally cant be excluded by the government from a regional or public event, only because you are associated with someone the government doesn't like.
But from where did the Court derive this protection? From the right to assembly, which is in the Bill of Rights. If citizens did not have a constitutional right to be allowed to attend events, then the government could exclude them for any reason at all and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. You have asserted that attending regional festivals is an exercise of their brand new right to association, which is itself a new dimension of the redefined right to assembly.

We do not have any treaties that impose a specific requirement or quota of cultural activities (such as requiring a certain number of festivals or events per year). While we do have some treaties that "signatories shall endeavor to conduct communal cultural activities to the benefit of members of both regions" (Sacagawea Alliance Mk. II) or something to that effect, this does not really compel either party to host any specific cultural events at any time. Indeed, by your logic we have been in violation of several treaties, such as the aforementioned one with Equilism and also certainly the one with Taijitu. That last part also just goes to show that, no matter how a treaty is worded, it cannot really be made to be binding on either party. What are you going to do - go to court to force the government to host an event with Taijitu?

But from where did the Court derive this protection? From the right to assembly, which is in the Bill of Rights. If citizens did not have a constitutional right to be allowed to attend events, then the government could exclude them for any reason at all and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. You have asserted that attending regional festivals is an exercise of their brand new right to association, which is itself a new dimension of the redefined right to assembly.
The Bill of Rights Freedom of Assembly is undoubtedly derived from the American Constitution's First Amendment. Freedom of Assembly is defined as:

Noun.
The right to hold a public meeting without the government interfering.

Legally speaking (in the context of the American Constitution,) it means, "the American people’s right to get together for any purpose."
Thus, it is reasonable to assume that in The North Pacific's Bill of Rights, it means, "All North Pacific nation's right to get together for any purpose."
The location they may gather, within The North Pacific or not, isn't specified. With no restrictions placed within the Bill of Rights, we can only assume that the most open interpretation of the right is intended. Thus, the sanctions do indeed violate the Bill of Rights.

Last edited:
Thus, it is reasonable to assume that in The North Pacific's Bill of Rights, it means, "All North Pacific nation's right to get together for any purpose."
The location they may gather, within The North Pacific or not, isn't specified. With no restrictions placed within the Bill of Rights, we can only assume that the most open interpretation of the right is intended. Thus, the sanctions do indeed violate the Bill of Rights.
I don't understand this logic. You seem to be saying that because the most broad interpretation of the Bill of Rights must be presumed in all cases (an extremely questionable assertion in itself) the sanctions violate the Bill of Rights because ???. Freedom of assembly does not include the right to assemble in any possible venue for any possible reason.

I don't understand this logic. You seem to be saying that because the most broad interpretation of the Bill of Rights must be presumed in all cases (an extremely questionable assertion in itself) the sanctions violate the Bill of Rights because ???. Freedom of assembly does not include the right to assemble in any possible venue for any possible reason.
Because there are no codified limits to the Freedom of Assembly, the broadest interpretation is the only interpretation that could be construed as having any legal backing.

Because there are no codified limits to the Freedom of Assembly, the broadest interpretation is the only interpretation that could be construed as having any legal backing.
You don't have anything to support that, though. The fact that there are many possible interpretations and that an interpretation that is in any way more limiting than the maximum is not spelled out does not mean that the broadest possible interpretation is necessarily correct. In fact, if it is correct then it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to imagine the absurd scenarios that would follow. Even the Court's own ruling doesn't support your take.

You don't have anything to support that, though. The fact that there are many possible interpretations and that an interpretation that is in any way more limiting than the maximum is not spelled out does not mean that the broadest possible interpretation is necessarily correct. In fact, if it is correct then it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to imagine the absurd scenarios that would follow. Even the Court's own ruling doesn't support your take.
At the very least, even if the most broad interpretation isn't used, the fact that remains that the sanctions violate the Bill of Rights freedom of assembly, until such a time that the Bill of Rights is amended to include an exceptionary suspension of said right.

At the very least, even if the most broad interpretation isn't used, the fact that remains that the sanctions violate the Bill of Rights freedom of assembly, until such a time that the Bill of Rights is amended to include an exceptionary suspension of said right.
Are you going to address the points many people have brought to the contrary or are you just going to repeat this line until it comes true?

Are you going to address the points many people have brought to the contrary or are you just going to repeat this line until it comes true?
I mean…the Court has made that true by re-writing what the right to assembly is. We now have a constitutional right to go to parties whether we always did or didn’t before. CoS was wrong before but now he’s not because that’s the impact of this ruling. And his remedy is also the only remedy for trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube.

I mean…the Court has made that true by re-writing what the right to assembly is. We now have a constitutional right to go to parties whether we always did or didn’t before. CoS was wrong before but now he’s not because that’s the impact of this ruling. And his remedy is also the only remedy for trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube.
I mean, it wasn't rewritten. The North Pacific's court merely reiterated what American history and judicial precedent have affirmed after the decline of McCarthyism in The Second Red Scare during the Cold War.

Last edited:
I mean, it wasn't rewritten. The North Pacific's court merely reiterated what American history and judicial precedent have affirmed after the decline of McCarthyism in The Second Red Scare during the Cold War.
Hmm. I think I understand the root of our disagreement. The link to the Constitution that I was using was actually a link to an outdated former version of the Constitution. The law index should probably be updated to the correct version.

There’s an old joke about our constitution and assumptions that we’re just like America being incorrect. I wouldn’t hang my hat on the assumption that we’re meant to mirror the American legal system, that is not a widespread or accepted belief in this region.

I’m not relying on the US Constitution I’m relying on TNP’s constitution. They’re not the same thing. A ruling that makes them more similar can obviously happen as happened here but it’s certainly not something that should be taken for granted. I would even assert that association could be protected through other existing rights, it didn’t have to be this one, which again, much like the US Constitution’s 2nd amendment, has a very clear context that informs what it was meant to do, and which was ignored to make the conclusion this Court came up with.

There’s an old joke about our constitution and assumptions that we’re just like America being incorrect. I wouldn’t hang my hat on the assumption that we’re meant to mirror the American legal system, that is not a widespread or accepted belief in this region.

I’m not relying on the US Constitution I’m relying on TNP’s constitution. They’re not the same thing. A ruling that makes them more similar can obviously happen as happened here but it’s certainly not something that should be taken for granted. I would even assert that association could be protected through other existing rights, it didn’t have to be this one, which again, much like the US Constitution’s 2nd amendment, has a very clear context that informs what it was meant to do, and which was ignored to make the conclusion this Court came up with.
I'm merely suggesting that some of TNP's Bill of Rights borrows from or is influenced by, America's constitution. It certainly seems apparent in the wording of some areas, especially with regard to articles 2, 7, 9, and 11. So it isn't unreasonable to interpret some of it in the same manner.

Last edited:
All our lies are directly inspired by South Carolina.

I'm merely suggesting that some of TNP's Bill of Rights borrows from or is influenced by, America's constitution. It certainly seems apparent in the wording of some areas, especially with regard to articles 2, 7, 9, and 11. So it isn't unreasonable to interpret some of it in the same manner.
What is unreasonable is to base your interpretations solely in the American legal tradition as you have done, as opposed to TNP's actual body case law.

What is unreasonable is to base your interpretations solely in the American legal tradition as you have done, as opposed to TNP's actual body case law.
Since there was no North Pacific case law that defined the freedom of assembly, there was nothing else I could base it on.

You could base it on past practice and what actually makes sense and is reasonable.
What's unreasonable about it? Should The North Pacific really be a place where treason and your loyalty are defined by who's at the same party as you? That doesn't sound democratic at all.

What's unreasonable about it? Should The North Pacific really be a place where treason and your loyalty are defined by who's at the same party as you? That doesn't sound democratic at all.
This is a gross exaggeration of the actual effect of the sanctions which are not even remotely in the same realm as the penalties for treason.

This is a gross exaggeration of the actual effect of the sanctions which are not even remotely in the same realm as the penalties for treason.
It certainly seems to be the kind of atmosphere the executive is attempting to create, by infringing on fundamental, unalienable rights in order to combat an enemy that could be anywhere at any time. Associating with them in any way calls one's loyalty to the state into question, and meeting with them makes you suspicious. It's very reminiscent of The Red Scare.

The state dares dictate who its residents can socialize with. There is absolutely nothing democratic about it.

Last edited:
It certainly seems to be the kind of atmosphere the executive is attempting to create, by infringing on fundamental, unalienable rights in order to combat an enemy that could be anywhere at any time. Associating with them in any way calls one's loyalty to the state into question, and meeting with them makes you suspicious. It's very reminiscent of The Red Scare.

The state dares dictate who its residents can socialize with. There is absolutely nothing democratic about it.
This is just fear-mongering and hyperbole. Prohibiting members of a hostile organisation from attending festivals sponsored by the government is not even remotely comparable "dictating who [TNP's] residents can socialize with". Although frankly, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the notion that associating with BoM would call one's loyalty to TNP at least somewhat into question, as we are talking about a region that has repeatedly made its hostile intent towards TNP clear through their actions (which arguably include acts of war) and their words.

This is just fear-mongering and hyperbole. Prohibiting members of a hostile organisation from attending festivals sponsored by the government is not even remotely comparable "dictating who [TNP's] residents can socialize with". Although frankly, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the notion that associating with BoM would call one's loyalty to TNP at least somewhat into question, as we are talking about a region that has repeatedly made its hostile intent towards TNP clear through their actions (which arguably include acts of war) and their words.
It's a slight exaggeration, but the notion isn't exactly inaccurate. And something tells me the executive intends to legislate around the ruling as much as they can get away with, for the sanctions only.

I disagree with the sanctions on general principle, because I've been on the receiving end of such sanctions in the past. I look at these sanctions and I'm instantly reminded of Balder, as well as Grub-era XKI; so unreasonable in it's opposition that it seeks to quarantine its own residents from that enemy completely, inevitably isolating them to so grotesque an extent that it becomes like poison.

One who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it.

Last edited:
And something tells me the executive intends to legislate around the ruling as much as they can get away with, for the sanctions only.
...good? The law being amended in response to a Court decision is perfectly normal and has happened before, especially if the Court decision doesn't make much sense. :P It's not like the Bill of Rights is easy to amend.
I disagree with the sanctions on general principle, because I've been on the receiving end of such sanctions in the past. I look at these sanctions and I'm instantly reminded of Balder, as well as Grub-era XKI; so unreasonable in it's opposition that it seeks to quarantine its own residents from that enemy completely, inevitably isolating them to so grotesque an extent that it becomes like poison.
That's such an exaggeration though, especially when compared to Grub's XKI. We already have tools built into the law to keep bad-faith actors out of our community and we have used them. The ability to exclude bad faith individuals from our government-run events would seem to be an obvious extension of the Delegate's authority over the government, even though it seems that what is obvious is irrelevant to the Court.

...good? The law being amended in response to a Court decision is perfectly normal and has happened before, especially if the Court decision doesn't make much sense. :P It's not like the Bill of Rights is easy to amend.

That's such an exaggeration though, especially when compared to Grub's XKI. We already have tools built into the law to keep bad-faith actors out of our community and we have used them. The ability to exclude bad faith individuals from our government-run events would seem to be an obvious extension of the Delegate's authority over the government, even though it seems that what is obvious is irrelevant to the Court.
Who's to say one is automatically a bad faith individual? Are they guilty by association? In my experience, that point of view is always flawed, and never 100% correct 100% of the time.

And sure, Venico's was reasonable, but they're not all Venico. They're not all "out to get you" like some sort of boogeyman.

Last edited:
Who's to say one is automatically a bad faith individual? Are they guilty by association? In my experience, that point of view is always flawed, and never 100% correct 100% of the time.

And sure, Venico's was reasonable, but they're not all Venico. They're not all "out to get you" like some sort of boogeyman.
How could anyone in such a hostile organisation attempt to get involved with TNP and reasonably expect to be seen as anything but a bad faith actor? They're not guilty of anything, but like... it's basically an enemy region. I'm not sure what else anyone is supposed to expect.

How could anyone in such a hostile organisation attempt to get involved with TNP and reasonably expect to be seen as anything but a bad faith actor? They're not guilty of anything, but like... it's basically an enemy region. I'm not sure what else anyone is supposed to expect.
Because the assumption that everyone in it is the same way is a terrible way of thinking. It's a fearmongering tactic used to dupe people via an extreme form of patriotism. It should be approached sensibly in order to ensure that justice isn't obscured by militarism.

Because the assumption that everyone in it is the same way is a terrible way of thinking.
No one is claiming that. However, they have chosen to align themselves with our enemies… we don’t have an obligation to welcome them with open arms.

No one is claiming that. However, they have chosen to align themselves with our enemies… we don’t have an obligation to welcome them with open arms.
And yet some of them had aligned themselves with The North Pacific as well. Doesn't that count for something?

Please, please let there be a court case because the bouncer stopped them at the door. We need this.
I can't tell if a snide joke about new rights or an ominous "careful what you wish for" is what's best here.

I think a far more useful discussion would involve reckoning with the apparent errors in judgment and in applying the Court’s own logic for the decision that was made, or whether or not they properly utilized the legal principles they so confidently declared were violated by the government’s action (which remember, is still entirely theoretical because no one was actually excluded from an event due to these sanctions). Or maybe that acknowledgment of the dual nature of player identities when they are part of TNP and other places that are in conflict with TNP. Seems some are content to simply let presence in TNP completely erase all else, and therefore allow themselves to be manipulated and gamed by bad actors. Others refuse to even acknowledge that the other identity even exists, as if we can just hand wave it away.

I must confess I am a little tired of the two man play we’ve been watching all this time. I know the Court saw fit to separate my analysis from the actual case thread for whatever reason, but I think there are some important points and considerations that analysis contains that could be useful for us going forward in the wake of this decision. It would be nice if didn’t lose sight of them.

I'm not saying The North Pacific should be letting them become citizens. In the matter of Venico's citizenship application being rejected, I supported the decision (note that I said as much in the thread about it.) I am just stating that not allowing residents to attend cultural events where they might be is extreme, to put it mildly. The court's ruling was just, even if it leaves a bad taste in the executive's collective mouth. I feel it should serve as a reminder that this act of checks & balances is a boon, rather than a curse; an instance where the judiciary has managed to try and keep the executive honest about its principles of democracy and freedom.

Last edited:
I dunno, why don't we ask long time citizen @Gladio who is as much responsible for the decade of success the North Pacific Army has had since it was reformed under Evil Wolf and who is also part of BoM?

If Gladio a bad actor? I certainly don't think so - he's never taken part of a BoM operation that targeted TNP or one of our allies and he's fastidiously maintained his distance from such operations. Not all of BoM are Souls or Koth or Venico.
I can't tell if a snide joke about new rights or an ominous "careful what you wish for" is what's best here.
Is it any worse than the public near meltdown the government has been suffering ever since the ruling was made?

Last edited:
Back