Discord
red_canine
ga.jpg

Repeal "Drug Decriminalization Act"
Category: Repeal | GA #577
Proposed by: Excidium Planetis | Onsite Topic
Replacement: None endorsed by repeal author​

The Assembly of Worlds,

Believing in the value in reducing or eliminating penalties for simple drug possession, and the dedication of this Assembly to protecting the rights of the oppressed,

Arguing that nevertheless, GA#577 "Drug Decriminalization Act" does not actually even do that, as its wording allows nations to easily circumvent its mandates, for example by considering even a small quantity of a given substance to be "for monetary gain" or by considering simple possession to be with malice, that is recklessness or intent, and therefore subject to potentially severe criminal penalties,

Stating that such resolutions as GA#577 are, furthermore, not matters of international law, and exist solely to exert the WA's influence on member nations without regard for their individual situations, often by introducing broad, one-size-fits-none legislation that handles the issue without any of the care that national law does,

Encouraging the members of this Assembly to think carefully about the legislation they choose to enact in the future and whether the World Assembly is really the level of government best suited to addressing the topic,

Destroys "Drug Decriminalization Act"
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
This proposal seeks to repeal the "Drug Decriminalization Act" for two perceived problems: firstly, that the target allows member nations to set broad presumptions of malice or intent to distribute and thereby circumvent the resolution; and secondly, that member nations should have liberty to determine their policy surrounding drug criminalisation per own sovereignty.

Recommendation
The target certainly has a number of legitimate flaws; first and foremost, the target allows member nations to criminalise the simple possession of any drug, as long as that drug happens to have legitimate medical uses. Many drugs, such as morphine, fentanyl, or marijuana, can be both abused and used for recognised medical purposes. Yet, the repeal, instead of focusing on the target's flaws, focuses on that nations should be allowed to punish persons for their simple possession of drugs due to their sovereignty. Such a heavy-handed approach has never worked in practice to actually reduce drug use or addiction. The World Assembly should prohibit the unnecessary and ineffective punishing of victims; and even if the World Assembly would technically still maintain the ability to decriminalise simple drug possession, the precedent that the World Assembly believes that nations should be allowed to punish victims in a wild goose chase is not one which should be enshrined into World Assembly law.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the General Assembly resolution at vote, "Repeal 'Drug Decriminalization Act'".

Last edited:
Against. I take issue with the following:
Stating that such resolutions as GA#577 are, furthermore, not matters of international law, and exist solely to exert the WA's influence on member nations without regard for their individual situations, often by introducing broad, one-size-fits-none legislation that handles the issue without any of the care that national law does,
The WA does have influence on such matters.

Absolutely against.

The target certainly has a number of legitimate flaws; first and foremost, as highlighted in my own repeal draft, the target allows member nation to criminalise the simple possession of any drug, as long as that drug happens to have legitimate medical uses. Many drugs, such as morphine, fentanyl, or marijuana, can be both abused and used for recognised medical purposes. Yet, the repeal, instead of focusing on the target's flaws, focuses on that nations should be allowed to punish persons for their simple possession of drugs due to their sovereignty. Such a heavy-handed approach has never worked in practice to actually reduce drug use or addiction. The World Assembly should prohibit the unnecessary and ineffective punishing of victims. While I have written a draft (World Psychoactive Drugs Act) to decriminalise drug possession should this (or any other repeal) happen to pass, the precedent that the World Assembly believes that nations should be allowed to punish victims in a wild goose chase is not one which should be enshrined into World Assembly law. And for context, this was submitted by the author with no warning in response to me posting a pro-decriminalisation repeal per discussion on the NSWA discord.

Last edited:
Against, more due to this being the MoWAA line. With the caveat that I really need to think about whether I support Magecastle's and GC's replacement when that eventually comes (See WA discord)

Last edited:
(Non-WA) Present - I agree with Magecastle’s analysis of the repeal. Though a repeal is desirable. The arguments used in Excidium Planetis’ version are not ones with which I can agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back