It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
ga.jpg

Repeal: “Volcanic Activity Convention”
Category: Repeal | GA #565
Proposed by: Magecastle Embassy Building A5 | Onsite Topic
Replacement: < None >​

General Assembly Resolution #565 “Volcanic Activity Convention” (Category: Regulation; Area of Effect: Safety) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Believing
that, with the current risk of those previously thought as dead mysteriously awakening, it is indeed an important goal to prevent more people from dying and potentially returning in a zombified form, something which the resolution has contributed to via efforts to ensure that member nations are protected from the often-deadly dangers of volcanic activity; yet

Finding that the resolution has become superfluous since its passage, as "Disaster Precautions and Responses" already ensures that precautions are taken to ensure that member nations are protected from volcanic activity, as well as other disasters, thus eliminating the need for the "Volcanic Activity Convention",

Observing that even the more specific areas of disaster preparedness that the resolution attempts to address -- including "cooperation between member nations (in) handling disasters like multinational volcanic activity" -- are covered by other existing resolutions;

• The mandates of "Emergency Broadcasting Standards" adequately cover communication between nations affected by a multinational disaster;

• "Humanitarian Aid Coordination" also ensures the distribution of humanitarian aid to nations in need of the same, such as those victim of volcanic activity or needing to address an outbreak of the undead;
Haunted too by exceedingly unclear and ambiguous wording in many mandates of the resolution, such as Section 2a.iii, which mandates that member nations at risk of volcanic activity reverse damage from recent volcanic activity "within reason"; and Section 2a.ii, which requires member nations at such risk to distribute resources deemed "relevant" and "necessary"; thus both opening the doors to exploitation of the resolution's mandates, and making bona fide attempts at compliance with the resolution's spirit unclear,

Deducing that the resolution is therefore no longer necessary to mitigate the dangers of volcanic activity, while also being ultimately ineffectual in many of its efforts, meaning that there is no real reason to keep the resolution standing,

Repeals the "Volcanic Activity Convention".

Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
This proposal, Repeal "Volcanic Activity Convention" seeks to repeal GAR#565, which seeks to ensure cooperation between member nations handling disasters like multinational volcanic activity and attempts to legislate for a plan of action during volcanic activity, to help cooperation between all those affected by volcanic activity. The author cites duplication with GAR#570 ("Disaster Precautions and Responses", GAR#585 ("Emergency Broadcasting Standards") and GAR#51 ("Humanitarian Aid Coordination") as primary grounds for repeal.

Recommendation
We are unconvinced by the arguments that Volcanic Activity Convention is adequately covered by other resolutions, primarily because volcanic activities can be both multi-national events and can, more importantly, be an extinction level event (such as Montserrat in real life) rather than a reconstruction event such as a hurricane or a flood. We also believe the proposal also makes a confusing argument as to the funding required for GAR#565, given that (i) the original resolution makes no requirements as to the use of World Assembly funds and (ii) we would presume that nations at risk from volcanoes would sensibly spend its own funds on monitoring seismic activity.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the World Assembly Resolution proposal at vote, Repeal "Volcanic Activity Convention".

This IFV Recommendation was written in collaboration with our World Assembly Legislative League partners.

Last edited by a moderator:
For.

See GA #8, GA #122, GA #368, GA #408, and GA #600.
OK. I can disagree with the inclusion of a joke here. We're allowed to disagree

I also do not feel the arguments in favor are compelling enough. GA #565 is specific to Volcanic Activity and makes it clear that information needs to be relayed to the population of individual member nations as well as speaks specifically to evacuation information relaying. This is not addressed in GA #570. And while GA #585 provides a path for the relaying of evacuation information in emergency scenarios, this is not the same as establishing a publicly available resource on volcanic activity within member nations as required by GA #565.

So, for now, I still am against the proposal as written.

OK. I can disagree with the inclusion of a joke here. We're allowed to disagree
Fair enough.
I also do not feel the arguments in favor are compelling enough. GA #565 is specific to Volcanic Activity and makes it clear that information needs to be relayed to the population of individual member nations as well as speaks specifically to evacuation information relaying. This is not addressed in GA #570. And while GA #585 provides a path for the relaying of evacuation information in emergency scenarios, this is not the same as establishing a publicly available resource on volcanic activity within member nations as required by GA #565.

So, for now, I still am against the proposal as written.
To be honest, assuming you are referring to 2c of 565, I don't think it is particularly novel either. Something as trivial as a free volcano section in a museum would seem to be sufficient, per "however [member nations] see fit", as would, say, funding volcano-themed amusement parks which tangentially offer a little bit of "locally specific information on the dangers of volcanic activity".

I don't think that a nothing-clause as well as a non-binding recommendation is sufficient to outweigh the rest being wholly redundant, as well as vagueness that makes it both easily avoidable and unclear how to comply with in spirit.

Last edited:
Against. Please remove that joke about volcanic eruptions killing and zombies. It's an insult to anyone who has suffered through volcanic eruptions, such as Colombia, Montserrat or Japan. You can't really compare a joke about making an orange drink with wiping out cities.

I concede though that this is likely a close vote.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back