Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736
ga.jpg

End Collective Punishment
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Significant
Proposed by: The Forest of Aeneas | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly:

Believing that collective punishment is grossly unfair, as it purposefully targets the innocent, and therefore a serious violation of sapient rights; and

Observing that collective punishment is a favoured tool of authoritarian regimes to suppress opposition;

Hereby, within the confines of past, standing World Assembly law:

1. Bans member states from purposefully punishing, convicting, or otherwise targetting for punishment, any individual for:
    • Any act they did not personally commit or knowingly conspire, suppress evidence of, encourage, or facilitate; or
    • Connection or relationship to an individual, on the basis that that individual has committed a punishable or unlawful act;
  2. Demands that all past convictions contravening this resolution by member states be fully rescinded; and
  3. Clarifies that this resolution does not ban member states from purposefully punishing, convicting, or otherwise retaliating against persons for:
    • Membership in a proscribed organisation; or
    • A punishable act unambiguously committed under their authority.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview

Upon its passage "End Collective Punishment" would prevent member nations from penalizing all members of an organization for crimes carried out by a small subset of that organization.

Recommendation

"End Collective Punishment" in its current iteration accomplishes its goals in a clear and concise manner. It does so in such a way that it does not interfere with the ability of member nations to prosecute and dismantle organizations engaged in criminal activities. "End Collective Punishment" further demands that all past convictions that would be in violation of this resolution be immediately vacated.

For the above reasons The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting for the resolution.

This voting recommendation was written in collaboration with our World Assembly Legislative League partners.

Last edited:
Incredibly nitpicky but I question whether “proscribed organisation” is necessarily alright given the terms of GAR#550. It wasn’t a term I used and I wonder if that unintentionally shoehorns this into some kind of rules violation for contradiction.

Against - Demands does not sound like a word that specifically requires member states to do such, and that clause is rather important in terms of being a requiremen.

For. This version resolves what was my main issue with the prior one. While the scope is now pretty narrow, I think it is justified for the WA to prohibit guilt by association, subject to the exceptions prescribed.

Incredibly nitpicky but I question whether “proscribed organisation” is necessarily alright given the terms of GAR#550. It wasn’t a term I used and I wonder if that unintentionally shoehorns this into some kind of rules violation for contradiction.
The proscription exception here would fit with the exception in GA #550’s 1b, would you not think? This resolution notionally leaves scope for wider proscriptions but I don’t think that is a contradiction, it just means that GA #550 limits the proscriptions that can be made.

Present. As per my previously mentioned views on Discord, the NS Forum and here. I don't feel strongly about this resolution either way as the scope is extremely narrow.

Last edited:
For

The issue that I raised in my last vote seems to have been fixed by this new version; other than some minor complaints about the writing, this is fine.

This proposal has achieved quorum and will proceed to vote (time=1653019200) in your timezone unless it falls out of quorum or is withdrawn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back