[PASSED] Appointment of Rewan Demontay as Election Commissioner

Lord Dominator

Citizen
-
-
Delegate St George:
I am appointing @Rewan Demontay as Election Commissioner, subject to a confirmation vote by the Regional Assembly.

@ Rewan Demontay has been appointment to serve as an Election Commissioner by Delegate @St George. I open the floor to discussions about this appointment.

Additionally, I invite the Delegate provide statements in support of the appointment.

Once moved, the motion that I will be putting to vote for this confirmation is as follows:

Motion:
The Regional Assembly confirms the appointment of Rewan Demontay to the Election Commission.

Rewan is a newer member of the region, but during their time here, they've performed ably in the Cards Ministry under @DGES and when I put the call out for ECs, they approached me. I view this is as a good opportunity to further integrate a promising newer member into the region.

Good to see you getting more involved in the region, Rewan! I know this isn’t going to be the most orthodox question to ask of a potential Election Commissioner, but what made you reach out/why do you want to do this important work?

A citizen chooses to use the private ballot to vote. Is the name of the citizen revealed to the other election commissioners present for the election?

Do you need to adjust start and stop times for time zones during an election cycle?

Nice to see you stepping up, Rewan! Answer the following scenario question for me:

You are supervising an election. Your partner starts the voting thread at 4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5). On the final day of voting, you discover that your partner didn't use a (time=...) code and manually put in "4:00 PM (your forum time) as the stop time. Because of this, everyone sees the stop time as 4:00 PM their time. Which action should you take?
A: Edit the opening post to insert the correct time code, and end the voting phase at 4:00 PM (GMT-5).
B: End the voting phase at 4:00 PM (GMT-11) to ensure that American Samoa gets up until 4 PM their time.
C: Neither of the above. Explain what you would do differently.

I motion this to vote
While Rewan's definitely a competent and capable member of the region's government, I really think they should have a chance to answer people's questions before we vote.

While Rewan's definitely a competent and capable member of the region's government, I really think they should have a chance to answer people's questions before we vote.
Concur with this comment. While I've no doubt Rewan can do the job, I'd like to see him answer this round of questions before we consider moving this to a vote.

Good to see you getting more involved in the region, Rewan! I know this isn’t going to be the most orthodox question to ask of a potential Election Commissioner, but what made you reach out/why do you want to do this important work?
After a year in TNP, I believe it is time to step up my involvement. So far, I have been a minor official and vigilant endotarter and voter. I believe it is time for something new and more. I answered the call to Election Commissioner because I foresaw it as my chance forward to greater serve TNP.
A citizen chooses to use the private ballot to vote. Is the name of the citizen revealed to the other election commissioners present for the election?

Do you need to adjust start and stop times for time zones during an election cycle?
1) As far as I am able to discern based on the Rules of the Election Commission, only the tally result of a private ballot needs to be shared. A private vote is meant to be just that: private. Unless it is challenged, mandated by the court, or otherwise deemed necessary by the Chief Election Commissioner, I see no need for the citizens' right to anonymity to be violated.

2) Due to the ability to code a post to the viewer's timezone, I would only need to wait until the last timezone's allotted time slurps up to begin tallying votes with the others. If I misunderstand the question, please let me know.
Nice to see you stepping up, Rewan! Answer the following scenario question for me:

You are supervising an election. Your partner starts the voting thread at 4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5). On the final day of voting, you discover that your partner didn't use a (time=...) code and manually put in "4:00 PM (your forum time) as the stop time. Because of this, everyone sees the stop time as 4:00 PM their time. Which action should you take?
A: Edit the opening post to insert the correct time code, and end the voting phase at 4:00 PM (GMT-5).
B: End the voting phase at 4:00 PM (GMT-11) to ensure that American Samoa gets up until 4 PM their time.
C: Neither of the above. Explain what you would do differently.
I choose both A and C. The first step is editing the post to correctly align to time. The second step is a post, with a corresponding ping in Discord, announcing the mistake and its subsequent correction.

Last edited:
So, Dreadton and I asked basically the same question in two different ways. The way you answered Dreadton's version of the question appears to be answer B in my question, but then you answered what I would consider the best way when you directly answered me. The way the (time=) code works is that you put in a Unix timestamp, and it translates to everyone's forum time, which is determined in account preferences, when they read the post. So, if I put time equals 1649448900, you see it as (time=1649448900). I'll see it as Fri Apr 08 2022 4:15:00 PM, but someone on the west coast of the US will see it as Fri Apr 08 2022 1:15:00 PM, but the election will end at the same time for everyone. That was the whole point of the question.

The rule about private ballots used to read
Election Supervisors will endeavor to keep an up to date tally of votes available to the Election Commission at-large, with private ballots anonymized. The Election Supervisors may modify how each ballot is counted until they certify the final results, or present the results to the commission at large to be certified.
but was updated in 2018 with the intent to allow commissioners to view it. That discussion was here: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9188224/ (Not sure if it's publicly visible). The idea was to "allow all election commissioners to view the identity of private voters, so that we can verify that they are eligible to vote."

Last edited:
I'll see it as Fri Apr 08 2022 4:15:00 PM, but someone on the west coast of the US will see it as Fri Apr 08 2022 1:15:00 PM, but the election will end at the same time for everyone. That was the whole point of the question.
Thanks for the clarification. We are to tally right away when it ends, as time won't matter when it is the same for all. Sneak, cheeky, and clever asking it as you did.
The rule about private ballots used to read

but was updated in 2018 with the intent to allow commissioners to view it. That discussion was here: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9188224/ (Not sure if it's publicly visible). The idea was to "allow all election commissioners to view the identity of private voters, so that we can verify that they are eligible to vote."
It is still viewable.

If I understand you correctly, all ECs are allowed to view private ballots as requested; in theory, you can request them all private ballots of an EC at once. I suppose in practice, however, it doesn't happen too often, bar new ECs to double-check their progress. In short, only other ECs may see private ballots to verify and confirm election results.

This is now at vote. Voting will last for 5 days, until (time=1649983200) in your time zone. Discussion may continue in this thread.

Back