Proposal for private ballot data to be verifiable by the entire commission

Discord
COE#7110
I propose a change to the Rules of the Election Commission, Section 4, Clauses 6 and 7:
6. Election Supervisors will endeavor to keep an up to date tally of votes available to the Election Commission at-large, with private ballots anonymized. The Election Supervisors may modify how each ballot is counted until they certify the final results, or present the results to the commission at large to be certified.
7. Any time during the voting period, or six hours thereafter, any Election Commissioner may privately challenge a particular ballot by private message, and submit an alternate interpretation of how it should be counted. The Election Supervisors may accept or deny any challenge.

There are two changes I am proposing here. The first is to allow all election commissioners to view the identity of private voters, so that we can verify that they are eligible to vote. I think this information is necessary for the commission to have, when making decisions about whether or not to challenge ballots. On the subject of challenges, currently the rules specify that challenges must be submitted "by private message." The practice so far has been for challenges to be submitted through the Comments feature on the election spreadsheet, and that has been interpreted as falling within the bounds of "private message." I am proposing to remove the ambiguity and simply allow challenges by any method that isn't view-able by the public.

I hope we can evaluate these changes and vote on them before the general election begins. Who has thoughts?

Sometimes (like in the last election) we make the voting spreadsheet public. How would privacy be maintained in this case? Or is it actually not allowed to make the sheet public?

BMWSurfer:
Sometimes (like in the last election) we make the voting spreadsheet public. How would privacy be maintained in this case? Or is it actually not allowed to make the sheet public?
Adding the voters name as a comment next to each private ballot may work best with google sheets. This way, it would only be visible to those able to comment or edit the spreadsheet (a.k.a the EC).

[quote uid=6214 name="Siwale" ][quote uid=6839 name="BMWSurfer" ]Sometimes (like in the last election) we make the voting spreadsheet public. How would privacy be maintained in this case? Or is it actually not allowed to make the sheet public?[/quote]Adding the voters name as a comment next to each private ballot may work best with google sheets. This way, it would only be visible to those able to comment or edit the spreadsheet (a.k.a the EC).[/quote]An acceptable solution. I like these changes.

Commenting the name would work. You could also just put the names in the spreadsheet, but change them to read "Private" before publishing the results.

I’d like to get this out of the way before the election. Voting shall begin now, and end in 5 days or when all commisioners have voted.

Reply Aye to vote for this proposal, Nay to vote against, or Abstain to abstain but still be counted as voting.

As for my vote, Aye

Sorry for the late response, but the measure passes having received 6 votes for and 0 against, with none abstaining.

I’ll get the rules post updated here soon

Point of order: this amendment to the rules cannot take effect while an election is in progress. Updating the rules will have to wait until after the election is over, when the supervisors return control of the Voting Booth account to you.

Back