Marcus' Model Railway Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
19th August 2023

Inside The Train Shed

WORK STOP! :blink:

So, I was examining my second hand points that I started to fit to the baseboard and suddenly recognised the they were electrofrog.

What are electro frog points?

Electrofrog points are model railway turnouts with no isolated sections.

Regular turnouts require a small plastic isolated section to avoid a short circuit where the outer rail passes over the inner rail as the route diverges.

I normally use insulfrog points, similar to Hornby points.

When I bought these secondhand points I had forgotten they were electrofrogs. :bigdoh:

image.png

Peco. Electrofrog - 'live frog' points

Last edited:
ARE ELECTROFROG POINTS BETTER THAN INSULFROG POINTS?

Using electrofrog points on a layout will undoubtedly result in improved reliability for the locomotives that traverse them.

That's thanks to there being virtually no dead or isolated parts on the turnout, unlike insulfrog points which can have a dead spot of a centimetre or more long just waiting to stall smaller locos.

So purely from the perspective of electrical continuity, electrofrog points are better.

Where they do lose the interest of some modellers, is the complexity they introduce to the layout's circuitry.

Electrofrog turnouts will in most circumstances still require a degree of isolation to avoid a short circuit being caused where the outer rail crosses the inner rail as the two routes diverge.

This is usually done using isolating rail joiners and a power feed to tracks beyond the turnout.

A simple enough job but one that puts some off nonetheless.

For those who do not like the sound of playing with electrics, insulfrog points provide the perfect plug and play solution, and that makes the 'which is best' score about even.

image.png

Last edited:
So in summary, the question should not be which is best? but more which is best for me?

I do like the idea of improved conductivity and engines that don't stall on points at slow speeds, electrofrog is the way to go, but I will need to think a little about how to wire them.

If, on the other hand, I just want to run some trains at the weekend with my family for a bit of fun, insulfrogs allows me to just get on with it.

I am going to do some testing to see how my locomotives perform using both types of points, I popped out to my local train shop and bought some insulated rail joiners to use, then I'll make a decision. :)

Luckily for me, I haven't invested much cash into the point question.

image.png

Last edited:
19th August 2023

New Items for ETHNON RAIL :)

Popped to my local model train shop. :)

I could have bought these cheaper online, but I needed them, quick.

ManufacturerProduct CodeTitleScaleQty
Peco Products​
SL-11​
Insulated rail joiners/fishplates (for OO, HO & O gauge code 100/124 rails incl. Hornby, Peco & Peco Streamline) - Pack of 12
OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)​
1​
Hornby​
R8696
Police public call box - Skaledale "Street life collection"
1​

20th August 2023

Inside The Train Shed

Testing and Results! :)

So I've been testing the reliability and use of my stock of Insulfrog points and my old stock of Electrofrog points.

I built a little testing setup using the points with a controller.

The two loco's I used were a Hornby SWB 0-4-0 'Roger' and a Hornby Class 37/97 - 97302 'Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways' LWB Co-Co.

image.png

Last edited:
So the Insulfrog points provided 'satisfactory' performance and sadly the Electrofrog points did not work very well at all.

The age of the points may have been against their running reliability though I was getting current through them.

The isolating track joiners were very flimsy when fitting.

I may have to do a retest, this time with power/jumper leads going past the points.

The second-hand points would benefit from a good clean as well.

image.png

So the results are in favour of the insulfrog points so far.

I'm going to carry out a final test to confirm.

Here is a comparison image, that I photographed today, comparing the insulating plastic at the frogs of a Peco Streamline Medium point and a Peco Setrack one (Peco Setrack shares the same geometry as Hornby).

image.png

21st August 2023

image.png

TRANSPORT FOR WALES

Don’t let the car drive your day

Transport for Wales (TfW) and Visit Wales have partnered to encourage travellers to use the train to visit some the country’s best tourism hot spots and extend the busy tourism season into Autumn.

image.png

Conwy

The new campaign focusses on four stunning locations, Aberystwyth, Conwy, Chepstow and Tenby.

All are easily accessible on Transport for Wales’ services and with offers including save 50% on Advance train tickets, kids go free and 2-4-1 entry to Cadw sites across Wales, they offer excellent value for money.

Welcoming the new partnership, Deputy Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Dawn Bowden said: “Visiting Wales by train is a great way to travel to some of our most iconic holiday destinations and with the “kids travel free” offer, it’s an affordable option for families who want to make the most of the last few weeks remaining of the summer holidays, plan an autumn break, or stay longer to enjoy some fantastic fun and adventure.

"I’m delighted that Visit Wales is teaming up with Transport for Wales to showcase what Wales has to offer.”

Victoria Leyshon, Partnership Marketing Manager at TfW said: “We’re delighted to be working with Visit Wales to showcase the best Wales has to offer and helping people travel more sustainably via public transport.

“We have some excellent offers to save money on rail tickets and combined with our partner offers for entry into attractions, there’s something for everyone."

The TfW website has hints and tips for things to do and ways to spend a weekend in each of the four locations.

image.png

Last edited:
21st August 2023

Milestone reached in overhaul of Blue Peter steam locomotive​

image.png

Boiler inspector after hydraulic test
Locomotive Services Group have announced that a milestone has been reached in the overhaul of No. 60532 Blue Peter.

60532 is the sole surviving A2 and is owned by the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust and is undergoing its overhaul at Crewe.

The group revealed today (21st August) that a boiler hydraulic test was completed at their works in Crewe.

A hydraulic test gives the locomotive its boiler certificate and starts the clock on the loco.

image.png

Boiler at 340psi

The Boiler Inspector was at Crewe to see the pressure of the boiler rise to 340psi.

This means that the staff at LSG can now move on to a steam test of the boiler and means Blue Peter is one step closer to returning to the mainline.

You can view progress on Crewe-based locomotives over on the Locomotive Services Group Facebook Page.

21st August 2023

Progress report on repairs to Swiss railway tunnel after train derailment​

image.png

The derailed freight wagons severely damage rails and sleepers

The Swiss Safety Investigation Board (STSB) and the Public Prosecutor's Office of the Canton of Ticino are investigating the cause of a derailment on 17 August in the west tube of the Gotthard Base Tunnel.

The accident involved a train of 30 freight wagons that had been assembled in Italy, and had been checked on arrival in Chiasso, where SBB Cargo took over the train, and re-assembled the wagons into a new train.

Nothing was found to be wrong during the checks. Although the accident site has been cleared, extensive clean-up work is required and 16 derailed and damaged wagons are still in the tunnel.

image.png

Derailed wagons in the Gotthard Base Tunnel

As the train travelled north through southern Ticino, the driver of an oncoming train reported smoke coming from the train.

An inspection in Bellinzona found a stuck brake on a freight wagon, which was released, although this was not the wagon that was thought to be the first to derail.

The train was released for further travel, and passed through automatic control devices between Bellinzona and the tunnel, none of which triggered an alarm.

image.png

Derailed wagons in the Gotthard Base Tunnel

The derailment damaged about 8 kilometres of track and 20,000 concrete sleepers, all of which need to be replaced.

The track bed is severely damaged and it will be several months before all the damage is repaired.

SBB plans that both bores of the tunnel will open for a limited rail service at the beginning of next year.

SBB is endeavouring to open the undamaged east tube for freight traffic as soon as possible.

From this Wednesday, 23 August, freight traffic will be able to use the undamaged east tunnel, but they will be diverted via the Gotthard panorama route and via the L tschberg-Simplon axis so that all goods can be transported.

image.png

Working to repair the Gotthard Base Tunnel

Since the closure of the tunnel, passenger trains have been running on the panorama route and will continue to do so until further notice.

Travel time for domestic traffic is taking up to 60 minutes longer and between 60 and 120 minutes for international traffic, with a change of trains in Chiasso.

Only trains to and from Genoa and Venice can run directly.

SBB and the Federal Office of Transport are considering whether some passenger trains could use the east tube in single-track operation.

The problem is that if there is an emergency, passengers would need to be evacuated via the west tunnel tube, which would only be possible to a limited extent because of the repair work in that tube.

Although a large part of SBB s internal freight traffic could travel via the panoramic route, only a few transit and import/export trains can be travel via that route since the rolling stock on those trains would be out of gauge.

SBB is examining whether the seating capacity on the Gotthard panorama route can be increased and whether additional direct international connections can be offered.

Speaking about the effects of the accident, SBB CEO Vincent Ducrot said: “The Gotthard Base Tunnel is one of the safest in the world. The fact that such an accident could still happen hits us very hard. Fortunately, there were no casualties, but there was a lot of property damage.

SBB is aware that the effects of the accident would cause great inconvenience to passengers and freight customers.

“We would like to apologize for this and ask for your understanding. The teams deployed are doing everything in their power to ensure that safe rail traffic through the Gotthard Base Tunnel is possible again as quickly as possible.”

22nd August 2023

Stadler to build bi-level battery vehicle in US market first​

image.png

Caltrain’s two new electric train sets on display in San Francisco

Stadler is to build four additional electric multiple unit trains and one bi-level battery vehicle for Caltrain.

The represents an option from Caltrain's current contract with Stadler and was approved by the Caltrain Board.

Earlier this month, Caltrain announced that the California Transportation Commission had approved the allocation of funds from an $80m award from the California State Transportation Agency (CalSTA).

That envisaged one battery-equipped electric multiple unit (BEMU) train from Stadler capable of operating on Caltrain's electrified section of the corridor between San Francisco and San Jose as well as the non-electrified section from San Jose to Gilroy.

The BEMU will charge while running on overhead power in the electrified service areas and then use the battery charge to travel ‘off-wire' on the non-electrified sections.

As a result, Caltrain will run a fully zero-emission service in future, learning from the implementation of the new train to provide a roadmap for successful future BEMU operations and procurements.

The four new EMUs will replace ageing diesel trains and rail cars.

Along with the BEMU demonstration, Caltrain will run more than 90% of its services using electric trains, thus benefitting travellers and communities throughout the corridor.

California Secretary Toks Omishakin said: “Making the switch from fossil fuels to electric power is vital for California to meet its transportation and climate change goals. This demonstration train will continue California's clean energy, innovative leadership.”

Jeff Gee, Caltrain Board Chair, said: “We're excited to be the first in the nation to pilot this hybrid electric and battery service to extend our zero-emission service beyond our electrified service areas, which will not only allow for more sustainable and environmentally friendly operations, but also faster and more reliable travel times for riders.”

Martin Ritter, CEO of Stadler US, added: “Stadler is proud to continue our partnership with Caltrain and our shared mission of helping California provide zero emission travel. With additional bi-level EMUs and this first-of-its-kind BEMU for Caltrain, Stadler is able to expand our overall portfolio for the US market, especially in the zero emission product line.”

23rd August 2023

USA’s Amtrak orders more Airo trains as passenger numbers rise​

image.png

Amtrak Airo Intercity Train Concept
US rail operator Amtrak has ordered ten more Airo trainsets in response to the continuing rise in passenger numbers.

Amtrak has now ordered a total of 83 of the trains, which are currently bring built and due to enter service in 2026.

They will run on routes throughout the USA. It retains an option to order more.

image.png

This preliminary rendering shows a new Amtrak train to be built by Siemens Mobility

Amtrak is publicly-owned, and receives funding through the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), which Congress passed in 2021.

The funding is contributing to buying the Airo trainsets, which are being built by Siemens in California.

Amtrak is ordering the new trains as part of a larger series of improvements – the largest capital programme in its history – which also includes new Acela trains, major infrastructure projects, service expansion, station upgrades, modernisation work and improved track capacity.

The new trains have bidirectional capability and travel at speeds up to 125 mph. They have dual-power electric and diesel engines.

The Airos feature:
  • spacious and comfortable seats with power; USB-C ports; seatback tablet and phone holders; larger, more sturdy tray tables; adjustable cup holders; contoured seat cushions, more leg room, individual arm rests and adjustable headrests
  • trip and train navigation: bold, colour-coded signage to identify amenities and classes of travel
  • environmental benefits: better fuel efficiency, producing 90% less particulate emissions in diesel operations; water stations providing chilled and filtered hydration, reducing the need for disposable plastic bottles.
  • modern technology, including new 5G Wi-Fi and digital information systems
  • improved accessibility: spacious and accessible toilets, vestibules and café cars; integrated boarding equipment; inductive hearing technology to assist with onboard announcements
  • café car with grab-and-go service
  • toilets that are touchless, and have spacious, accessible interiors.
  • business class: more space; double and single seats; wider arm rests; additional outlets, footrests and better ambience
  • lighting: softer lighting with with individual reading lights at each seat
  • luggage: ample storage space for bags and luggage.
The new Amtrak Airo trains will run on the Northeast Regional, Empire Service, Virginia Services, Keystone Service, Downeaster, Cascades, Maple Leaf, New Haven/Springfield Service, Palmetto, Carolinian, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, Ethan Allen Express and Adirondack.

More information about Amtrak Airo is available here.

Amtrak President Roger Harris said, “We are thrilled to satisfy the soaring demand for train travel with new state-of-the-art, American-made equipment that ensures the highest standards of comfort, service and amenities. As we advance this vision, we're committed to getting people where they need to go, while reducing road and air congestion, creating jobs and supporting the American economy.”

Last edited:
23rd August 2023

Class 66 locomotives named in GB Railfreight ceremony

July saw the freight operators host the annual event, which recognises hard work and dedication​

image.png

GB Railfreight Class 66 66790 Louise
Last month, (16th July) GB Railfreight hosted its Ladies Naming Ceremony which celebrates both hard work and dedication in the company.

2023 saw Louise Garwood, who works at Ipswich and Justine Langton, who works at Peterborough recognised and loco's 66790 and 66798 respectively, named after them.

The special ceremony saw family, friends and colleagues of Louise and Justine attend the event.

Louise first began her career with GB Railfreight as a member of the finance team in Felixstowe in 2014 and is now Executive Assistant to CEO John Smith in an essential role which sees her create strong professional relationships with both customers and partners.

GB Railfreight CEO John Smith said:

“One of the many great things about Louise is the strong friendships she has built up over the years with all the other Executive Assistants. She now knows everyone across the sector. This means that I can always rely upon her to get me access to the right people when needed. It is a team effort, but thank you, Louise, I couldn't do this without you.”

image.png

Justine at the Ladies Naming Ceremony 2023

Justine has recently celebrated her 10-year anniversary with GB Railfreight, joining back in 2013 as a Train and Resource Planner before moving on to become a Supply Chain Operations Strategic Account Manager, carrying out work vital to the running of the business.

John Smith also talked about Justine and said:

“Justine, thank you for your ten years of hard work. You've brought all your 25 years of experience in the rail sector brilliantly to this business. Your tolerance and patience is exemplary, and I really appreciate how hard you work in what is effectively the engine room of GB Railfreight keeping us moving forward.”

23rd August 2023

Siemens Mobility and ÖBB digitise Austria’s rail network​

image.png

OBB Trains

At a press conference today (Wednesday 23 August), ÖBB (Austrian Federal Railways) announced its new agreement with Siemens Mobility to digitise the country's rail network.

The operator aims to double the capacity of the country's rail system by 2040, in order to accommodate rising passenger numbers and improve its level of service. Its work with Siemens will help it to achieve this goal.

Infrastruktur AG has now commissioned the European Train Control System (ETCS) on the 57km route between Linz and Vöcklabruck.

ETCS is a midern, digital signalling system that controls distances between trains, and their direction and speed, in real time, enabling the route to carry more passengers and freight.

It also ensures that train services are more reliable, punctual and safe.

The press conference, held in Linz, saw the two parties present their framework agreement for a long-term cooperation.

The agreement covers the expansion of the ETCS Level 2 system throughout Austria's high-level rail network.

It also includes the establishment of ETCS Radio Block Centres (RBCs) and their maintenance and servicing.

Twenty-one RBCs will be installed by 2038, providing fail-safe coverage for Austria's high-level rail network.

image.png

ÖBB Railjet (KISS)

ETCS Level 2 began operating on the Linz–Wels–Vöcklabruck and Wels–Haiding line sections at the beginning of this month.

It is the first commission based on the new framework agreement.

Trains running on this route are digitally monitored and controlled in Linzhe, and the ETCS Radio Block Centre covering this section is located in Vienna.

ETCS Level 2 involves data being transmitted from the ETCS Radio Block Centre to trains via GSM-R (Global System for Mobile Communications – Railway) train radio.

Data balises (electronic beacons or transponders placed between the rails) determine a train's position and relay route data.

The corresponding interlocking transmits track vacancy data and other information to the RBC, which uses it to generate the driving permit which it sends to the train.

Data flows continuously in both directions, which considerably increases the line throughput, enabling trains to be driven with ‘electronic vision' through several track blocks, which allows shorter headways at maximum speeds, so that more passengers and freight can be transported in a shorter time.

In this way, ETCS provides the basis for autonomous driving at optimum speed, which saves energy and protects the environment.

Without ETCS, trains have to operate at a considerable distance from each other because of their long braking distances.

Railway lines equipped with ETCS, such as the Vienna–Breclav, Vienna–St. Pölten or Kufstein–Brenner routes have shown these benefits in action.

image.png

Interior of a Nightjet Mini Cabin

ETCS is the standard system throughout Europe, so will travel across national borders much easier, more comfortable and shorter.

ÖBB-Infrastruktur AG is to spend two hundred million euros on ETCS by 2026, with nine hundred millions euros allocated to the framework agreement for ETCS and train controls.

The framework agreement is the use of the DS3 (Distributed Smart Safe System) platform, which has been used successfully since November 2020 in a pilot project for the interlocking at Achau station in Lower Austria.

DS3 is Siemens Mobility's new software platform for safety-relevant logic, and migrates existing applications such as ETCS or interlockings to a standard high-performance platform based on COTS (commercial off-the-shelf), which uses multicore technology to create a fully IP-based system architecture.

Along with the coupling computer already running on the DS3 platform, which links to the interlockings, the ÖBB and Siemens Mobility partnership will also employ DS3 in all of the RBCs.

DS3 will enable ETCS control centres to be further optimized and given greater flexibility, which helps ÖBB to achieve significantly higher cost-effectiveness through lower investment and maintenance costs.

The two organisations have worked together on other projects, including the Nightjet sleeper trains.

Dr. Johann Pluy, CEO of ÖBB-Infrastruktur AG, said,
“Efficient railway infrastructure is critically important for achieving Austria's climate goals. To help us handle the expected increase in rail traffic and shift away from roads, we are relying extensively on digital initiatives, and ETCS Level 2 is an enormously important component for railways of the future. The framework agreement signed with Siemens Mobility is based on a Europe-wide tender and we're looking forward now to working with the best bidder to equip further rail routes with Level 2.”

Andre Rodenbeck, CEO Rail Infrastructure at Siemens Mobility, added, “We are proud to be working with ÖBB to equip the Austrian rail network with ETCS Level 2, and the commissioning of this route marks an important milestone in ÖBB's continuing expansion of ETCS coverage. The use of ETCS Radio Block Centres and our innovative software-based DS3 safety platform will significantly increase route capacity and make the Austrian railway system one of the most modern in the world.”

Last edited:
23rd August 2023
Network Rail puts three Class 73 locomotives up for sale

image.png

73951 & 73952 at the Severn Valley Railway

Network Rail is offering its three remaining Class 73 diesel-electric locomotives for sale in two tenders:
  • 73138, which is in store at Rowsley (Peak Rail)
  • 73951 and 73952, which are in store on the Severn Valley Railway.
Network Rail tender documents provide further details, and more information is available by emailing Redundantassets@networkrail.co.uk

The sales are being managed through two separate tenders, and potential buyers need to quote the following RAD numbers:
  • Tender, reference RAD0975 invites offers for 73951 and 73952
  • Tender reference RAD0976 is for 73138
Network Rail bought 73138 in 2010 to use in its infrastructure monitoring fleet, and withdrew it from active service in 2017.

After this, it was used on occasion as a yard shunter at the Railway Technical Centre in Derby, until Network Rail deemed it surplus to operational requirements in 2019 and placed it in storage.

Offers for the loco must be received, in writing (email is acceptable), no later than noon on Thursday 14 September 2023.

Network Rail developed and bought 73951 and 73952 for use in hauling its infrastructure monitoring trains.

The two locos are now surplus to operational requirements.

The locos are stored on secure, private railway premises at the Severn Valley Railway, so viewing can only take place by prior arrangement.

Please email Redundantassets@networkrail.co.uk to arrange a viewing.

Offers for the locos must be received, in writing (email is acceptable), no later than 16:00 on Friday 15 September 2023.

Last edited:
24th August 2023

Inside The Train Shed

I found my old book in the bookcase.

You can see my history with this book here: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9195683/post-10488990

I have taken some photos of the pages, unfortunately any close ups of the locomotive images reveal the artefacts due to print quality.

So I'll have to take care on the camera zoom. :)

Bob and Phil admire the book.......

image.png

Last edited:
25th August 2023

New Vehicles Ordered for ETHNON RAIL :)

I got a few Land Rovers already in British Rail livery.

I thought "why don't I get the other Land Rover's to complete a set of the vehicles history with British Railways". :)

So I ordered the British Railways, Railtrack and Network Rail Liveried Land Rovers.

ManufacturerProduct CodeTitleScaleQty
Oxford Diecast​
76DEF008Land Rover Defender Network Rail
1​
Oxford Diecast​
76LR2S002Land Rover Series II SWB Canvas British Railways
1​
Oxford Diecast​
OR76ROR001Land Rover Defender 110 with posable rail wheels - "Railtrack" - non-motorised
1​

Last edited:
Reactions: Loh
A little history lesson :)

British Railways
(BR), which from 1965 traded as British Rail, was a state-owned company that operated most of the overground rail transport in Great Britain from 1948 to 1997.

It was formed from the nationalisation of the Big Four British railway companies (GWR, LNER, LMS and SR) and was privatised in stages between 1994 and 1997.

Originally a trading brand of the Railway Executive of the British Transport Commission, it became an independent statutory corporation in January 1963, when it was formally renamed the British Railways Board.

The period of nationalisation saw sweeping changes in the railway.

A process of dieselisation and electrification took place.

By 1968 steam locomotives had been entirely replaced by diesel and electric traction, except for the Vale of Rheidol Railway (a narrow-gauge tourist line).

Passengers replaced freight as the main source of business, and one-third of the network was closed by the Beeching cuts of the 1960s in an effort to reduce rail subsidies.

On privatisation, responsibility for track, signalling and stations was transferred to Railtrack (later brought under public control as Network Rail), with services run by train operating companies.

The British Rail Double Arrow logo remains in place and is now employed as a generic symbol on street signs in Great Britain denoting railway stations.

61054ea3c32c810004977251.png

1920px-British_Rail_-_full_colour_logo.png

Last edited:
image.png

Railtrack was a group of companies that owned the track, signalling, tunnels, bridges, level crossings and all but a handful of the stations of the British railway system from 1994 until 2002.

It was created as part of the privatisation of British Rail, listed on the London Stock Exchange, and was a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.

In 2002, after experiencing major financial difficulty, most of Railtrack's operations were transferred to the state-controlled non-profit company Network Rail.

The remainder of Railtrack was renamed RT Group plc and eventually dissolved on 22 June 2010.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back