Kronos for Justice!

Kronos

Registered
TNP Nation
Kronogistan
Discord
Kronos#7021
YwBApLt.png

Hey everyone! My name is Kronos and I'm excited to be here running for Justice in TNP. I am a newcomer when it comes to TNP's court but I am not a newcomer to court systems or law. Working with the law is a specialty I decided to focus on in NS three years ago so judicial positions are near and dear to me. I have come to deeply respect judicial precedent especially when it comes to legal interpretation. It has the potential to shape the legal framework for some time. I carry a very detailed and analytical mindset in legal practice. I developed this practice after reading a court ruling outside of TNP that talked about the influence of Statutory and Administrative Law and how they coexist. It left me with more questions than answers. The logic behind the final decisions of the court opinion was vague and they covered a much broader base which legally affected areas of the law that did not have to be touched. So I focused more on the specific details of laws so I could give more clear interpretations that were confined to a particular topic so as to not affect any areas of the law outside of the scope. I do my best to stick to the letter of the law as much as possible, but that doesn't mean I am not willing to change precedent if it is called for. Over time precedents may no longer fit how the region has evolved and new laws passed may shift more toward new customs. In those situations precedents end up overturned and that is just part of the evolution of the legal system at work.

During my preparation to work towards a legal role I've taken time to study the laws and some court rulings. One of my favorites so far is the court ruling issued in August, 2021, especially the court's interpretation on Clause 9 of the Bill of Rights where laws cannot violate this Clause because it is there as a guarantee that the Government will treat each law in an equal and fair manner and that it would only be a violation if the laws were selectively enforced. I liked this part of the ruling in particular because as it was argued in a brief during the case, if it were that the law in question did violate Clause 9, then other regional processes that require a level of selectivity could be subject to similar legal scrutiny. The consequences of such could be serious.

When I am in a legal position or fulfilling a judicial role I always aspire to follow the examples of those who came before me as well as those who are alongside me. I learn about those who made an impact and learn from my fellow Justices' experiences. Learning from them gives me the best picture of what to do and what not to do, as well as how to do it and how not to do it. This helps me uphold the standards placed upon the court.

I am excited to be running alongside others who have built up repertoires. Winning a seat alongside them or falling short of a seat I enjoy being a part of it as I watch them showcase their knowledge and I get to showcase some of mine. Thank you all for your time and your consideration. I wish everyone luck and fun in the race!

I like this. I can see you have researched our system to get to know it. Good luck in the election.

Do you think that an elected Court poses a greater risk to judicial fairness (than one appointed by the Assembly)? Why or why not.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a good one. And from a newer person. Full support!
  1. Do you believe that a statute of limitations has any place in TNP?
  2. What are your thoughts on the TNP penal code's sentencing guidelines? Do you believe they should be changed in any way? Do you believe that the court should have more or less freedom when it comes to sentencing?

Last edited:
I like this. I can see you have researched our system to get to know it. Good luck in the election.

Do you think that an elected Court poses a greater risk to judicial fairness (than one appointed by the Assembly)? Why or why not.
Comparing election of judicial personnel to appointment in a general sense I believe election poses less of a risk. Elections are open to the entire citizenry and interested persons can campaign and showcase to their region that they can be elected to the position and be successful in it. With the openness of elections there is less room to argue that a court is "stacked" for political purposes or out of favoritism. I have seen these arguments thrown around often in other regions where the judicial personnel are appointed by a single person or confirmed by a legislature made up of only a tiny fraction of the citizenry.

In the context of TNP where the Assembly is made up of all citizens, I believe elections and appointments are balanced in fairness. If you have an election for Justices, and elections are made of all citizens entitled to a vote, the outcome would be similar to if the procedure were every four months the Assembly had to open nominations for Justice within their Chambers. The Assembly is made up of all citizens and all citizens entitled to a vote can vote there similar to elections. When I think of a process where the Assembly appoints the Justices, I think of the confirmation of the Election Commissioners we just had where nominations are opened in the Assembly and those who accept their nomination are then subject to the citizenry as a whole. Since both methods are open to the entire citizenry I see both as being equally fair.

Wow, this is a good one. And from a newer person. Full support!
  1. Do you believe that a statute of limitations has any place in TNP?
  2. What are your thoughts on the TNP penal code's sentencing guidelines? Do you believe they should be changed in any way? Do you believe that the court should have more or less freedom when it comes to sentencing?
I believe a statute of limitations could have a place in TNP if the RA wished to pass one, but I don't believe TNP has a need for one.

Looking through the Penal Code I like the way the provisions are written. Some sentences are straightforward for the severe cases like Treason or Espionage and I understand why; even though the damage could be minimal the crimes themselves are still severe and that is reflected through their sentencings. This next part of my answer will bring the latter two questions in number two together: I believe the court should have the freedom to decide a reasonable and fair sentence using minimum sentencing as a baseline, and I do not believe the sentencing guidelines in the Penal Code should be changed because the way it is written gives the court that freedom and that baseline. I picked up some reoccurring keywords in the Penal Code such as "and/or" and especially "for whatever duration the court sees fit". The "and/or" in the sentencings gives the court flexibility with the set minimums and the "for whatever duration the court sees fit" provides that freedom to set the time for the chosen sentence. I believe the level of freedom the Penal Code provides the court is enough for the court to issue sentences in a reasonable and fair manner.

Solid answers. This might be the best "newer candidate" run I've seen yet. Good luck in the election!

I'm happy you took this leap. I know how much you care about the legal stuff in the game, and your enthusiasm shines through in this campaign. Good luck.

Normally for judicial elections I tend to stick to voting for the old guard, but this campaign impresses me a lot (especially when you take into consideration that it’s a newcomer). Best of luck on your campaign.

Back