Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

A Treaty on Time Travel
Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Morover | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Taking note that many nations have always been captivated by allure of time travel and that, to the best of this esteemed body’s knowledge, time travel has not yet been invented, nor have any provisions been put in place regulating this wonderful yet dangerous scientific practice,

Inferring, since there is no science currently proving time travel to be impossible, that for the time being, it should be assumed that it is possible and the practice may be discovered in the near or distant future,

Mindful that, upon the innovation of such a practice, events involving it will likely begin occurring at such a rapid pace that international protocols will not be able to be made quickly enough to adequately address the event, and attempting to ensure that this Assembly is adequately equipped for such an event to occur,

Enacts the following provisions into World Assembly law:
  1. The Time Enforcement and Mishap Prevention Office (TEMPO) is established, and charged with handling all matters relating to Time Travel within the World Assembly.

2. In the event that any technological advancement or technique is developed, discovered, or otherwise obtained by a member of the World Assembly, they are required to inform TEMPO of the practice, as well as provide the information required to perform the act. TEMPO should document this information and keep an up-to-date record of all methods of time travel presently accessible and available. Under no circumstances will TEMPO facilitate in the exchange of this information, and it shall only be used for purposes within the committee. Further, it is incredibly strongly recommended that nations cease efforts to invent or otherwise discover time travel or similar technologies.

3. Should any techniques of time travel ever exist that allow travel back to the time of this resolution passing, TEMPO should send a representative back in time to the World Assembly chambers, to inform the organization of the existence of time travel and how to utilize it. They should also detail additional rules that may be required to govern such a practice and provide detailed failsafes for the same. TEMPO may, upon their discretion, choose to not send a representative back if doing so would cause a paradox or similar situation.

4. Performing time travel on the premises of any territory owned by the World Assembly is not permitted unless one or more of the following applies:
    1. The traveler is a member of TEMPO working on official World Assembly business;
    2. The traveler submitted an application to TEMPO for this instance, and the request has been approved by the organization - requests should only be approved if it is deemed to be a necessity to uphold the timeline, and it creates comparatively fewer and less severe paradoxes or other similar situations;
    3. The traveler is on a mission absolutely necessary to preserve the timeline that was urgent and could not await proper approval by TEMPO.

5. The deliberate and intentional meddling in historical events by any World Assembly member-nation through the creation or sending of any liaisons through time is strictly prohibited. The flow of time should go on as it always has, and every effort possible within the World Assembly’s jurisdiction should be made to prevent history from being changed.

6. The intentional creation of reality-altering paradoxes through the use of time travel is outlawed, and perpetrators will be prosecuted to the highest extent of the time-authorities. All hail the time-overlords.

7. The use of time travel in order to subvert the governing rules, practices or resolutions enacted by the World Assembly, past, present or future is not permissible.

8. In the case that the actions of a time traveler result in the creation of a separate timeline, alternate dimension, calamity of the highest degree, or the inadvertent execution of a significant historical figure, the traveler in question is obliged to inform TEMPO immediately of such so that remedial actions may be taken.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

"A Treaty on Time Travel" was defeated 3,602 votes (22.6%) to 12,306 (77.4%).

Last edited:
IFV

Overview
While the World Assembly has in the past regulated more... timely topics such as industry, civil rights, and social justice, this proposal aims to regulate an area that's truly timeless: time travel. The proposal would create a committee to oversee time travel in the WA, and restrict the ability of WA members to develop, employ, or abuse time travel technology.

Recommendation
Evidently not satisfied with the WA's iron grip on numerous areas of international affairs, this proposal's clearly deranged author seeks to place the very fabric of time and space under the control of a heaving WA bureaucracy. Time is a concept beyond the dominion of lowly WA gnomes, and the proposal doesn't work on a logical nor a practical level. Were this proposal necessary for the survival of our timeline, wouldn't it pass regardless of our region's vote? Wouldn't agents travel back through time to prevent us from voting it down? The only plausible conclusion is that this proposal is a red herring, a distraction deployed by time criminals to convince us that the timeline is safe from them. Indeed, not only would this proposal's bureaucracy slow down the development of time travel technology compared to nonmembers, but the proposal's second clause requires that "any technological advancement or technique" be reported to the World Assembly, regardless of if it has any relevance to time travel! Truly, such a proposal must never be allowed to pass at any point on the timeline. Long live the timeline!

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting Against the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "A Treaty on Time Travel."

Our Voting Recommendation Dispatch--Please Upvote!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Don't you understand: This is the end-game! This proposal is the only avenue to stop the onslaught of the time minions of The Great One! My forces can't hold them off much longer on my own - we need the World Assembly to put some sensible, well-thought-out restrictions in place!"

Or that's what I would say if this was an IC forum.

"Don't you understand: This is the end-game! This proposal is the only avenue to stop the onslaught of the time minions of The Great One! My forces can't hold them off much longer on my own - we need the World Assembly to put some sensible, well-thought-out restrictions in place!"

Or that's what I would say if this was an IC forum.
If we ever stopped the time minions, we wouldn't have needed this proposal at any point on the timeline! If the time minions had won, they could have done it by executing a sneak attack while we were distracted passing this proposal! The only way to survive is to vote against.

Which is why I'm Abstaining.

This proposal has received the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn or marked illegal, it will proceed to a vote at next Monday (February 28)'s Minor Update.

I'm not understanding the very strong dislike for this resolution, anyone want to clue me in?

Offering a charitable vote for the time being.

For

I think this is only considering for IC things, and no one would like their thing to be controlled by the WA, which is just for user's purposes if they wanna, thus rendering this useless in my eyes.

Against. (NON-WA)

Last edited:
Any attempt to write a General Assembly resolution about Ukraine would be immediately marked illegal for real-world references and probably discarded.
It was more of an off the cuff "out of character" comment on my part as I was more thinking about the pressures of real life, than NS itself.

Last edited:
My mistake, I talked about clues. I want answers.
"In the event that any technological advancement or technique is developed, discovered, or otherwise obtained by a member of the World Assembly, they are required to inform TEMPO of the practice..."

Any technological advancement or technique. Any at all. Regardless of field, area, or importance to national security. It's clearly just a mistake, but still.

Not that my vote counts, but For. The proposal clearly states that TEMPO does not need to send agents back to present day - hence a flawed IFV.
TEMPO doesn't need to, but is permitted to on "official World Assembly business"- whatever that means.

"A Treaty on Time Travel" was defeated 3,602 votes (22.6%) to 12,306 (77.4%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back