[PASSED] Citizenship Reform Act

Very interesting. I feel your point is more geared toward execution of the bill, and how the RA should consider these recommendations. I do not believe this can be legislated effectively. Every applicant is potentially very different, and will have a knack for one type of activity or another. But the reason for the multiple recommendations is to demonstrate not confirmation that the applicant brings a certain type of activity to the table, but that a broad range of government officials believes the applicant is trustworthy and deserves this consideration from the RA.
Don't we write bills with some concept of how the law should be applied in practice? Especially with something like this one. But if the multiple recommendation is just to ask fot a broad range of government officials to provide recommendations, will 5 different ministers be okay?

I am not exactly directing this point at you. I am more curious as to what the wider assembly thinks about this bill, and what is the "optimal" execution of the bill. Answering such questions would probably also answer the concerns about whether this is a realistic path to citizenship, and whether this bill will cause security issues.

The point of the bill is to create a path to citizenship for people who don’t currently have one. There’s no way to do that with current law. As far as them getting involved, that’s key to a successful appeal, so I agree that we’ll need to remind people of that and get some outreach for prospective citizens so they know citizenship is important but not an impediment to them being involved in the community. I can’t legislate that as you correctly pointed out. So it’s fair to say then that your concern isn’t really about this bill and can’t really be accommodated. I hope it’s enough regardless for you to offer your support in the end.
I suppose, since as you said this reform is a major priority of Delegate @St George, that I would like to see some kind of action plan from the government before voting for this bill. And actually I would say it’s imperative to see it before the law is passed so we know the government is serious about this reform.

Don't we write bills with some concept of how the law should be applied in practice? Especially with something like this one. But if the multiple recommendation is just to ask fot a broad range of government officials to provide recommendations, will 5 different ministers be okay?

I am not exactly directing this point at you. I am more curious as to what the wider assembly thinks about this bill, and what is the "optimal" execution of the bill. Answering such questions would probably also answer the concerns about whether this is a realistic path to citizenship, and whether this bill will cause security issues.

Of course, as I pointed out in my response, this definitely looks like an aspect of the discussion I cannot translate into legislative language. We appear to be on the same page here, and I just wanted to make clear that even in executing it, we don't have to get hung up on what a person's strengths or weaknesses are when considering their appeal - no other people applying for citizenship need that consideration, so it shouldn't matter what kind of activity they will generate (if any) when becoming a citizen. I have no problem with the discussion talking about execution of the potential law - my point in addressing your five categories was to argue against enforcement that is laser focused on that kind of thing, because I do not believe that is the point of the law. But by all means, don't stop discussing execution, that wasn't what I was trying to say.

I suppose, since as you said this reform is a major priority of Delegate @St George, that I would like to see some kind of action plan from the government before voting for this bill. And actually I would say it’s imperative to see it before the law is passed so we know the government is serious about this reform.

You are certainly entitled to ask for such a thing, but I am not sure why it is imperative to have such a thing. What's the worst case scenario if the government doesn't spring into some kind of effort to encourage engagement by residents? One could say they should always be doing that regardless of these sorts of proposals. How does an alternative path to citizenship suddenly become unworthy of consideration because the government doesn't present you with an action plan for outreach? Spreading the word about this doesn't help us nail down checks that maintain as much security as possible in the process, and the legal code has plenty of provisions that many citizens neglect to consider or even know exist - that does not mean those laws are suspect and ought to be reconsidered. And I suppose you don't have to take the delegate, or myself, at our word when we express how seriously we are taking this reform effort, though I certainly am going through quite a process here trying to get it right. MadJack I guess will have to speak for himself. Regardless, I'm having a hard time pinning down what it is exactly that you want to happen with all this and why it matters, because I am not sure you even know.

So all we need to do is build a region exactly like TNP from scratch first? :P
correct, to test in first, before risking the main TNP. people can easily use things like Parallel Space app (better ones I know, just giving example) on phone that allow Multiple accounts eg. to seperate your private and business whatsapp/discord/game accounts on same device (one phone, instead of having to walk around with two phones for your personal life and business).

Or just leave all the security alone and focus more on either adding more government jobs and/or bringing more clarity to them.
Lots of people dont know what each post does, skills they need, no tutorial etc, so will never apply. Some dont even know Where to apply or When, no calendar like say in Erepublic that clearly indicate when each election occur for positions.

I already touched on this topic in the past:

Candidacy Declarations: September 2021 General Election

Have a general request on positions, where to find out 1. requirements and 2. duties for each post. Some like me are casual players. Ie. log on when having time and if the work week is not too busy. So I'll never apply to something that require 24/7 presence.

where would one then get a list of duties/requirements for each Executive position? Or even list of mentors. That is my point of this post. Our Government Registry list many positions and who hold the seat, however I doubt many people know exactly what these positions 'do' and therefore in terms of considering supporting or ever applying for them.. wont happen. Some things could use a revamp.

Last edited:
correct, to test in first, before risking the main TNP. people can easily use things like Parallel Space app (better ones I know, just giving example) on phone that allow Multiple accounts eg. to seperate your private and business whatsapp/discord/game accounts on same device (one phone, instead of having to walk around with two phones for your personal life and business).
I don't quite get what you are talking about. If two accounts are on the same device, they would still be detected as having multiple accounts by the admin, and you can't bypass that using this proposal.

Or just leave all the security alone and focus more on either adding more government jobs and/or bringing more clarity to them.
Lots of people dont know what each post does, skills they need, no tutorial etc, so will never apply. Some dont even know Where to apply or When, no calendar like say in Erepublic that clearly indicate when each election occur for positions.

I already touched on this topic in the past:

Have a general request on positions, where to find out 1. requirements and 2. duties for each post. Some like me are casual players. Ie. log on when having time and if the work week is not too busy. So I'll never apply to something that require 24/7 presence.

where would one then get a list of duties/requirements for each Executive position? Or even list of mentors. That is my point of this post. Our Government Registry list many positions and who hold the seat, however I doubt many people know exactly what these positions 'do' and therefore in terms of considering supporting or ever applying for them.. wont happen. Some things could use a revamp.
...huh? Sorry I am extremely lost, and I don't think it is actually that bad. First of all, new nations gameside can always refer to the main region page, which clearly links them to our handbook. Among the first few things, we have 2 sections - an onboarding section; as well as a ways to get involved in the region. It states some of the things TNP has to offer, from cards to Roleplaying and also getting involved in the executive. Before you even talk about running for the Big 2 (Delegate & Vice Delegate) or any of the other elected positions (Speaker or Justice), it is important to start getting involved in the executive and/or legislative. Even if you came straight to the forums without looking at the handbook, opening up the Agora, you would see a number of pinned threads, such as "Applications to Executive Staff", which makes clear on the Opening Post what positions are there in each ministry; as well as other threads such as Citizenship Applications (which you clearly have been to), and Military Sign up! (which talks about NPA). There is a list of mentors, new members can apply for them here. If you are a new person, you shouldn't really start by running for those positions. Only when you have looked at enough by being an executive staff, or consistently be involved in discussing things here in the Regional Assembly, should you consider running for the Big 2 or the other elected positions. And it doesn't exactly hurt to ask previous/current holders of the Executive position, I am sure you can telegram them gameside or forumside and they will be happy to point you in that direction.

If you really think something is worth a revamp, could you mind reading through the entire handbook and pointing it out to the relevant parties? I am sure we can do something to improve the new player experience, though I am not sure whether you have actually read through the handbook and the relevant threads, from what you have been saying thus far. As Speaker, however, I would like to point out that this is potentially going terribly off tangent, and maybe you could consider starting a separate thread to discuss on the "new player experience". Thank you.

Last edited:
I have to admit I'm confused at this post - that the bill is before the Regional Assembly is proof enough that the government is serious about this reform.

You seem to think we don't do outreach to advertise ways to get involved in the region already - we do, and this is indeed most of the work that the Ministry of Home Affairs does, complete with over a dozen differing templates and lists to get through during a term. All that would be required, once this passes, is for proper publication of what we've changed and what the benefits are, which isn't really that difficult.

"maybe you could consider starting a separate thread...."
No Fregerson, this is very relevant to this topic.
its this dismissive attitude that keep shutting down conversations and chasing people away.
Yes the topic started regarding modifying the admin check to allow more potential candidates to positions, however even with an extra door available how many would realistically charge in to become citizens? Therefore I'm pointing out there's another reason for the lack of citizen applications and involvement.

Perhaps they see little value to being a citizen? Why so few applications/nominations to any job? Perhaps many dont know what the government positions do? Go ask random TNPnations out there one-on-one and most wont be able to tell you. I know, I asked them.

Since I joined/spawned in TNP over a year ago (doubt I would have willingly moved here otherwise), none contacted me with a tour of the region, introductions or anything regarding government jobs etc. There was only one person that did keep demanding that I endorse the security council (which I didnt understand at the time even, no intro tour), because I was in the WA. Only around the 3rd demand I think were the profile links given to the current relevant people that needed this endorsing.

I then discovered cards - and somebody from the card guild advertised something in a message I think that one could get cards or request card, so I applied, but then discovered I needed be a citizen and that's how that happened eventually. I made a single request for two common cards, which I never got, and eventually managed to buy self when I had money. https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9190256/33#post-10378540
I never asked again.
If not for the initial need for these cards, I'm not sure I would have done the citizenship or joined this forum to begin with, but that's the only reason I ended up here.

So If you want more citizens, I think this Citizenship Reform draft should think on how to incentivize it more, different/less security is nor the main barrier, it might be more a lack of interest, or lack of helping hand, or people such as Fregerson that says' go make some post about your shitty user experience elsewhere' thats more the problem.

@Webraven, I think you're missing the point of this reform.

This isn't about us wanting more citizens and more people to fill government jobs. This is about providing relief for a technical issue that is becoming more common in today's world. We're running into a situation where more people are forgoing having a residential internet connection and instead relying on their mobile phones and hotspots to provide internet access. Hulldom is in that situation right now, and before his ban, Heloonia was also in it. This is going to come up again and again. What we're trying to do here is set some ground rules to say "Hey, if you're willing to show your commitment to TNP, we'll take a chance and ignore the unique residential IP requirement."

Also you categorically did get an intro - you got a welcome telegram when you spawned that explained lots of things. If you didn't read it, or take the time to look around the forum and topics such as this one, where you could request a mentor, that's more on you than it is anyone else.

@Webraven, I would say you missed the point of my message completely. If I wanted to shut you down I would have split all your posts (which I probably should if we continue on this weird path), put them in another thread, and lock the thread (which I won't do either ways). Have a look again. Besides, with regards to "jobs", we don't just have 3 "jobs" that people can apply to. Like, not just Delegate, Vice-Delegate and Speaker. And if you are talking about these 3 roles, I don't think we can give a proper "checklist" and say that is all the role entails. Maybe you could have a look and past candidate campaigns, most do a good job of explaining why they are running for a position and their targets. But in order to even be considered as Delegate and Vice-Delegate, you really need to start small. Follow what the handbook says. Go for Executive Staff. Understand the different ministries in our region. It is similar to real-life, where the Prime Minister/President needs to have an understanding of all the executive to be in that position. Just replace the word "President"/"Prime Minister" with "Delegate", and "Vice President"/"Deputy Prime Minister" with "Vice-Delegate", and the idea is similar (not the same though). As for being a Speaker, well, I am always open for taking a Deputy Speaker to teach them how the job is done. I just need them to be active for an hour daily, not 24/7, so if you want you can ask to join? Though really, you need to have a clearer understanding of what you are talking about

I have to admit I'm confused at this post - that the bill is before the Regional Assembly is proof enough that the government is serious about this reform.

You seem to think we don't do outreach to advertise ways to get involved in the region already - we do, and this is indeed most of the work that the Ministry of Home Affairs does, complete with over a dozen differing templates and lists to get through during a term. All that would be required, once this passes, is for proper publication of what we've changed and what the benefits are, which isn't really that difficult.
I apologise if I didn't make my meaning clear. I feel like there are quite a few publications and templates that should be changed, and historically the MoHA hasn't had the best track record of refreshing and updating these. My fear is that these changes could end up on the back burner once the law is passed.

I apologise if I didn't make my meaning clear. I feel like there are quite a few publications and templates that should be changed, and historically the MoHA hasn't had the best track record of refreshing and updating these. My fear is that these changes could end up on the back burner once the law is passed.
Can't speak for the MoHA, but I think should this bill pass, I will reach out to all registered residents via TG and inform them of such an opportunity. Also, we will update the Citizenship Applications thread.

Sounds like you should be joining Home Affairs and making those suggestions directly then :P

Sounds like you should be joining Home Affairs and making those suggestions directly then :P
I already am in Home Affairs. I hope this will get some gears turning within the ministry, and I'll be sure to lend a hand in the process. :)

11. In order to appeal the rejection, the applicant must have previously applied for citizenship, not been convicted of a crime or banned by administration in the last six months, and not have been confirmed by administration to have been linked to another forum account.

I understand this provision in particular has been talked about in depth beforehand but I wanted to see your perspective on a thought of mine regarding the conditions for appeal.

Aside from the terms and conditions to appeal a rejection by administration, seeing the main purposes of the bill being to establish a process for appeal on the administrative side adjacent to the appeal process on the VD side and to help those without residential IPs get more of a chance at citizenship, would it make sense or help if the opportunity to appeal a rejection by administration was also subject to the reason for rejection? So if an applicant was rejected for IP related matters the appeal process would be open to them as long as they also fit the listed criteria. Certain reasons for rejection may, and arguably should, be absolute. But if we list which reasons are lenient enough to possibly appeal, it could help in the long run, maybe.

Alright, I have formalized the next version of the bill. As I indicated, I took feedback from @Fregerson and @Gorundu into account. There are some key changes. For one thing, I put a one week clock on the appeal. It was always my intention that before an appeal could be made, the person would need to have recently applied for citizenship. As it was written, though, it might have been the case old rejections would be appealed. The new language would require them to have an application no older than a week.

Regarding past conduct, I maintain the requirement they not have been convicted of a crime in the last 6 months, but specify that they must not be currently banned. I have also explicitly made the ban apply no matter where it is, so it can include the forum or Discord or any platform used by TNP. I thought this was odd but, considering how important it is that admin look out for proxying, I hadn't actually made it a disqualifier for the appeal, but it is now.

As suggested, I carved out the more minor executive and legislative government officials, so it is now explicitly cabinet and the delegate as well as just the Speaker. I did add the Vice Delegate to the list.

I also adjusted the wording for the RA vote just to make it clear what they are doing is debating and upholding a rejection, same as the structure of the language for the VD check portion of the law. Unlike that wording, there is no time requirement for when they hold the vote - I continue to believe that the nature of this rejection requires more time and care, as it is not purely IC in nature. I also incorporated the ability of the RA to hold another vote to overturn their decision to uphold the rejection. As a result, there is another condition to eligibility for appeals which stops applicants from continuing to appeal - if they appeal and the RA says no, the no stands and they cannot appeal subsequent rejections. Unlike with the VD though, the vote to overturn is not a prerequisite to getting citizenship. It makes sense that the RA has to have another debate on whether the IC security reasons still matter with an applicant, but if admin determines the person passes their check, all of this extra care is not necessary, so passing an admin check automatically overturns a previous RA decision to uphold a rejection. If someone in this situation passes the admin check, it's as easy to become a citizen as it is for anyone else.

I understand this provision in particular has been talked about in depth beforehand but I wanted to see your perspective on a thought of mine regarding the conditions for appeal.

Aside from the terms and conditions to appeal a rejection by administration, seeing the main purposes of the bill being to establish a process for appeal on the administrative side adjacent to the appeal process on the VD side and to help those without residential IPs get more of a chance at citizenship, would it make sense or help if the opportunity to appeal a rejection by administration was also subject to the reason for rejection? So if an applicant was rejected for IP related matters the appeal process would be open to them as long as they also fit the listed criteria. Certain reasons for rejection may, and arguably should, be absolute. But if we list which reasons are lenient enough to possibly appeal, it could help in the long run, maybe.

Well, I tried to maintain explicit situations that this process cannot get around. Someone who is banned anywhere, convicted of a crime in the last 6 months, is linked to another account, or using a proxy can't go through this process. This should leave people who use mobile ips as the only acceptable scenario. If we could recognize someone as having been judicially barred from citizenship, we could just immediately turn them away, so I can't think of anything else that might be allowed by this. Admin usually explains why someone failed their check, and they have to report every time someone is proxying, so I don't think I have to write anything in the bill addressing that in particular. I also want to avoid explicitly telling them what ips count and speak to specific methodology, so the wording I went with is the best way to do it I think.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that, what do you guys think? I think the bill has really come along great and is a solid, workable solution to this problem. I do welcome specifics and aspects I may have missed - this bill relies a bit on lists and every time you have those, you're liable to leave something out.

Looking at the current version I agree that it is a solid solution to the problem brought forward. Full support!

Looking pretty good I think.

However, I missed this earlier, but why the change from 3 government officials to 5?
I can see some people mentioning it, but I can't find a reason you may have given.

Looking pretty good I think.

However, I missed this earlier, but why the change from 3 government officials to 5?
I can see some people mentioning it, but I can't find a reason you may have given.

I will quote myself for clarity:

Myself:
The evaluation will be entirely handled by the RA debate and the officials offering recommendations. We can do this carefully and deliberately using the existing checks we have. The VD check is concerned with security threats, and yet we manage to get the RA vote down in two days with a majority vote. I have always believed this is because our laws place a great burden on those who would make citizenship harder to obtain, and only for very good reasons. If the door is to be barred, then a solid case must exist why. I understand that admins look at a different level than purely in-character government officials, but if we're going to place such an increasingly solid barrier in front of prospective citizens, we need to give that a fair hearing too. To that end I beefed up the recommendations, requiring 5 instead of 3, so that we really take a closer look at this person and maximize a variety of officials offering input.

Interestingly, I have previously neglected to read (or just forgotten) the clause which provides for the admin check - clause 5 - which remains unaltered in this bill. It says:

"Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate the citizenship applicant and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty."

I feel like there's quite a few things wrong with this sentence. First, as was already previously discussed, the admin check in reality covers more scenarios than this. Which means...admins have been violating the law for years? Obviously all the checks that admin do are necessary, so the scope of this clause is wrong. Secondly, there's no way to completely verify that a citizenship applicant isn't evading a judicially-imposed penalty. Admin have decided that a non-residential IP address is the bar where they are not comfortable with verifying that the applicant isn't trying to sneak past a penalty, but that doesn't really mean someone using a residential IP is verified to be not evading a penalty.

So uh, maybe we should change this clause too while we're at it?

Interestingly, I have previously neglected to read (or just forgotten) the clause which provides for the admin check - clause 5 - which remains unaltered in this bill. It says:

"Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate the citizenship applicant and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty."

I feel like there's quite a few things wrong with this sentence. First, as was already previously discussed, the admin check in reality covers more scenarios than this. Which means...admins have been violating the law for years? Obviously all the checks that admin do are necessary, so the scope of this clause is wrong. Secondly, there's no way to completely verify that a citizenship applicant isn't evading a judicially-imposed penalty. Admin have decided that a non-residential IP address is the bar where they are not comfortable with verifying that the applicant isn't trying to sneak past a penalty, but that doesn't really mean someone using a residential IP is verified to be not evading a penalty.

Just to clarify one thing,
Section 1.9: Proxying
21. "Proxying" is defined as use of a proxy server to render a forum user anonymous or any practice which allows a member multiple accounts.
22. Forum administrators will inform the Government and Court of Proxying they observe.
This covers the multiple accounts look for.

I don't think that it's my place as admin to put a particular opinion forward on this. We do this as a service to TNP. If TNP as a whole thinks things should change then that's appropriate. But as a geezer citizen...

Historically, we have had at least one user (JAL/Durk) succeed in gaining dual citizenship by logging into one account at home and another at work. This is part of why we're so strict now about no work or school IPs (including mobile) as the sole IP. We already got burned. :P The sponsorship aspect to this bill seems like a reasonable way to lessen the danger.

Breaking out the tinfoil hat... I wonder, if we had a delegate with nefarious intent, they appoint their Executive, so assuming the Speaker didn't notice anything particularly suspicious (which I would assume could happen if the sleeper accounts stayed pretty quiet for awhile) , couldn't that just result in a pretty easy vote packing? You can get 5 people to conspire in such a thing if you could get one of them elected delegate.

Obviously a lot of people have felt that perfecting the approach I have laid out from the start is still leaving too many people behind. Balancing the security concerns with giving people a fair chance to get citizenship when they are otherwise unable has been tricky, and it's easy to tip too far to one side in doing so. I had initially planned to outline two possible paths, the other being something close to the often mentioned "open the floodgates" proposal. I do believe the admin check has a valuable place in our process, and its aim is one we ought to continue to pursue. But I think it is important to recognize, as my pal @Praetor has in discussions with me on this bill, that the method I have selected, while obviously and intentionally difficult for most people to get through, still provides an opportunity for villainous bad actors. Bad people trying to abuse or get around rules is not reason enough in my book not to attempt to write rules, but I understand his point. The floodgates being completely opened or close to it presents the same risk (albeit one that is greater as it is easier for the bad actors to take advantage of it), but also places way less of a burden on everyone else. And we're doing this for them aren't we?

Before I get into that, I want to quickly deal with these points.

Everything the admins highlight as reasons for failing fall under that, because that is their methods in enforcing that clause. Eras did a good job explaining how with the multiple accounts. Changing that clause would negate any need for us to do any exception or alternative path to citizenship, but I don't think we want to do that. I'm open to your suggestions on how to do that though. If we were going to make a chance to one of the existing clauses for checks, I'm wondering if we want to look at the time table for debating the Vice Delegate's rejection. Since the Vice Delegate's check can last a week now instead of the original 3 days, perhaps the debate on the rejection can also last a week rather than 2 days? Just something I was mulling over, and something we might as well throw into this if there's interest in the idea.

Just to clarify one thing,

This covers the multiple accounts look for.

I don't think that it's my place as admin to put a particular opinion forward on this. We do this as a service to TNP. If TNP as a whole thinks things should change then that's appropriate. But as a geezer citizen...

Historically, we have had at least one user (JAL/Durk) succeed in gaining dual citizenship by logging into one account at home and another at work. This is part of why we're so strict now about no work or school IPs (including mobile) as the sole IP. We already got burned. :P The sponsorship aspect to this bill seems like a reasonable way to lessen the danger.

Breaking out the tinfoil hat... I wonder, if we had a delegate with nefarious intent, they appoint their Executive, so assuming the Speaker didn't notice anything particularly suspicious (which I would assume could happen if the sleeper accounts stayed pretty quiet for awhile) , couldn't that just result in a pretty easy vote packing? You can get 5 people to conspire in such a thing if you could get one of them elected delegate.

I appreciate more insight into why this mobile ip thing is crucial to the check. Obviously someone like JAL could manage to get past the checks I have tried to put into the bill, you can't really discount the dedication of such players (which is a big part of the argument people like Praetor make about the trade off between barriers for the innocent applicants and barriers that bad actors can still manage).

A nefarious delegate is already a problem in itself, but we'll set that aside here. I wonder what scenario would allow them to rush people though our process without it being really obvious. The RA vote is going to be the death knell of that plan, because I don't see the RA rubberstamping any number of mobile ip applicants that would materially affect a rogue delegates attempt to vote stack.

As for the simpler method, here is a draft for what I think it might look like:

10. If an applicant is rejected for failing an evaluation by forum administration, the applicant may appeal the rejection to the Speaker.
11. In order to appeal the rejection, the applicant must do so within one week of the rejection, must not have been confirmed by administration to have been linked to another forum account or using a proxy, and must have a resident nation that is a member of the World Assembly.
12. The Speaker will formally grant the applicant’s appeal if the above criteria are met, and will overturn the rejection.
13. The Speaker will accept all other applicants with valid applications.
14. The Speaker will process applications within 14 days. If an applicant has not been approved or rejected within that time, they will be automatically granted citizenship.

Section 6.2: Administration and Loss of Citizenship
15. The Speaker will maintain a publicly viewable roster of citizens and their registered nations.
16. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose registered nations in The North Pacific leave or ceases to exist.
17. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens who, for over 30 consecutive days, neither post on the regional forum, nor post on the regional message board with their registered nations.
18. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens whose registered nations in The North Pacific leave the World Assembly, except as part of an operation with the North Pacific Army, if those citizens successfully appealed failing an evaluation by forum administration.

I have to give a shout out to @Praetor again as utilizing WAs was his idea. My concern with that approach was on a couple of points, firstly whether it was consistent with our Bill of Rights and our tradition of WA membership being a choice for all nations. Citizenship is not explicitly joining the government, so at first glance I think this could work as far as compliance with the Bill of Rights. Secondly, I personally believe it is way too easy for anyone to meet that standard, and locking their WA in TNP may be a sacrifice they are willing to make to cause mischief. If it's unlikely to happen no matter what method we go with, I feel it is more likely with this one, because of how easy it is. However, this could potentially get citizenship for everyone affected by the mobile ip issue, which would be huge.

I believe it is important for this to be an appeal, because not every person will utilize this option - we have seen cases where people re-apply successfully using the methods the admin requests, and I still believe that is the ideal scenario, so I want them to initiate that process when they cannot comply with the admin request. I also believe that we shouldn't open this up for people who are tied to multiple accounts or proxying. Let them sort that out and if the ip is still an issue, proceed from there. I also retained my language about doing it within one week of the application because I want them to get a fresh look with all 3 checks, and I do not want this process to be open for people who applied months back. For one thing, maybe they wouldn't be rejected if they applied today, but mostly, we need fresh data. The new thing is obviously WA membership - as long as these people have it on their TNP nation, their citizenship is good (assuming the other 2 checks are successful). As soon as that changes, it goes away just like the other situations where people lose citizenship. Tracking this on the spreadsheet may be tricky, but it's a must if we go this route. When the Speaker confirms they have WA, bam, the check is considered passed. No complicated hoops, no arduous conditions, no checks and balances. One could say locking their WA is an extra burden, though I suspect for many people looking for citizenship here, that won't be an obstacle at all, and they may already have had it anyway. There is an exception for the NPA, because I do not believe we should lock any citizens out of the ability to join the NPA, and obviously that is verifiable.

I am very interested to hear what people think of the "express" option I have laid out above, because I felt there was a taste for this sort of approach, but I don't know how much of one there is. I have spent a long time getting the deliberate, careful appeal process I have already presented just right to balance everyone's concerns, but at the end of the day, such caution and deliberation will only go so far. To tell you the truth, I really don't see the appeal process as more than another stop-gap measure, like the Reject Fascism bill was last year, until our administration finds a more permanent and broader solution. I would hope they pursue such a solution whether in the wake of my first proposed option or this latest one, and I suspect they will be quite inclined to do so if this second option is the approach we end up taking. But that's not to say I personally don't have reservations about this "express" option. It's riskier than the first option, and however easy you may think it is for bad actors to take advantage of the appeal system I designed originally, this second way is undoubtedly easier. But this has always come down to how much risk you're willing to take on to help the greatest number of people. I feel it is only appropriate to see in stark contrast what two paths focusing on different levels of risk management look like. This is rougher than my first proposal at this point, so any way you can sharpen it, assuming you want to go more in this direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
firstly whether it was consistent with our Bill of Rights and our tradition of WA membership being a choice for all nations. Citizenship is not explicitly joining the government, so at first glance I think this could work as far as compliance with the Bill of Rights.
Citizenship = RA membership = participation in the governmental authorities. I’d say it’s absolutely a violation of the Bill of Rights. In general, though, I strongly prefer the express version.

Citizenship = RA membership = participation in the governmental authorities. I’d say it’s absolutely a violation of the Bill of Rights. In general, though, I strongly prefer the express version.
It's not because there would be another process which does not require WA (the current process).

It's not because there would be another process which does not require WA (the current process).

Okay so, I understand citizens are members of the RA. I do believe that’s considered to be different from government authorities. We do separate government officials from ordinary citizens after all. That’s why I would argue it’s not a violation of the Bill of Rights. Praetor’s argument, on the other hand, is that because there’s a process that doesn’t require WA, this alternative wouldn’t violate the provision. However, the appeal process still confers citizenship and if it was considered to be covered by that provision of the Bill of Rights, you would literally be creating second class citizens that have their rights violated in exchange for coming about as citizens. That’s not an ideal situation, to say the least. Fortunately, I do not believe this is something we have to contemplate as I don’t believe this is a Bill of Rights violation.

@Pathoal I am not surprised you prefer the express version. Are the security drawbacks something that you don’t spend any time worrying about?

I am curious - don't NPA members also need to pass an admin check? Is the NPA going to accept this exemption as a way to enter the military too? (Mainly targetted at @mcmasterdonia but I presume any member of the NPA high command can answer too)

I hate the idea of tying WA as an alternate means of getting citizenship. Some people may have been trying to get participation in various other places - Hulldom, for instance, was WA-locked in their UCR for quite some time. Forcing them to WA-lock in TNP might turn some of them off. Also, once they took this route to citizenship, is there a way for them to "unlock their WA" should they be able to meet a standard admin check? Do we then need to write another procedure to allow them to do so? I don't think WA-locking in reducing security risk of these applicants, is going to make any substantial benefits as compared to the negative effects.

Having said that, from a technical perspective, I think tracking WA isn't that much difficult, given the ability for spreadsheets to use the API. The only problem for me is that I don't want to interfere with the job of admins and the existing code, which is why I didn't implement things on my own, and instead made my personal requests to the admins.

I am curious - don't NPA members also need to pass an admin check? Is the NPA going to accept this exemption as a way to enter the military too? (Mainly targetted at @mcmasterdonia but I presume any member of the NPA high command can answer too)

I hate the idea of tying WA as an alternate means of getting citizenship. Some people may have been trying to get participation in various other places - Hulldom, for instance, was WA-locked in their UCR for quite some time. Forcing them to WA-lock in TNP might turn some of them off. Also, once they took this route to citizenship, is there a way for them to "unlock their WA" should they be able to meet a standard admin check? Do we then need to write another procedure to allow them to do so? I don't think WA-locking in reducing security risk of these applicants, is going to make any substantial benefits as compared to the negative effects.

Having said that, from a technical perspective, I think tracking WA isn't that much difficult, given the ability for spreadsheets to use the API. The only problem for me is that I don't want to interfere with the job of admins and the existing code, which is why I didn't implement things on my own, and instead made my personal requests to the admins.
I believe it is the case NPA has an admin check for their applicants. If the person failed the one for citizenship, I can’t imagine they succeed there either. With that in mind, my NPA exception will probably never actually be relevant, and should probably be removed.

I think it’s important to remember that this is an alternative path to citizenship. I can definitely understand why some would feel being WA locked here would be overly burdensome, but it’s not even something to worry about if they apply for citizenship and get accepted the normal way. Allowing them to bypass the admin check with just having a WA is easy enough, we have to find something that could tangle up a bad actor. Locking their WA could be part of their plans but it does inconvenience bad actors who want to reserve that WA for other projects. I don’t think it’s a good idea to broaden this aspect. I recognize it’s a possible inconvenience for some players but the trade off is much more favorable for most people who would need this particular avenue to become citizens.

The express proposal does not currently have a way for this restriction to cease. They would have to lose citizenship and reapply I suppose. Checks aren’t typically voluntary, but I suppose we could add a clause allowing these citizens to effectively recheck their citizenship - I would want them to go through the whole process again if they did just to be on the safe side.

But I’m more interested in hearing more people chime in on which method they thing is the one we should be exploring moving forward.

Im not a fan of having the executive included in clause 12. It seems like it would let the executive "double dip." the executive officers are not subjected to a regional vote like the other government officals are and can be removed on a whim by the delegate, so its plausable that the delegate can leverage that into pushing his cabinet to support a nomination even if they are reluctant to do so. I understand that one arugment is that they work directly for the minister so the minister is best to express their activites, but this can be done just as easly by the Delegate. if this bill passes why would we still need the citizens exemption for the executive? the reason we did it was because "valuable players were not able to get citizenship" and now we are removing that block. If we keep both then its plausable for ministers to support their own exemptions.

Im not a fan of having the executive included in clause 12. It seems like it would let the executive "double dip." the executive officers are not subjected to a regional vote like the other government officals are and can be removed on a whim by the delegate, so its plausable that the delegate can leverage that into pushing his cabinet to support a nomination even if they are reluctant to do so. I understand that one arugment is that they work directly for the minister so the minister is best to express their activites, but this can be done just as easly by the Delegate. if this bill passes why would we still need the citizens exemption for the executive? the reason we did it was because "valuable players were not able to get citizenship" and now we are removing that block. If we keep both then its plausable for ministers to support their own exemptions.
If you’re concerned that there’s a possibility of coercion or corruption in the delegate pushing someone’s appeal to be accepted, I would remind you that the RA still has to consider the appeal and ultimately decide if it succeeds or doesn’t. Perhaps one approach might be to stipulate that not all recommendations can come from the same place, or that one of each must be considered. I previously haven’t contemplated doing that because I didn’t feel every applicant would have the experience from all corners, and such a requirement might create scenarios where the Speaker and the SC were forced to vouch for people they didn’t know.

As for the possibility of someone being a minister who was allowed to be one via the exception in the law that we passed in the Boston Amendment, that’s an inescapable factor that would have to be considered when the RA votes on the appeal. I suspect a delegate who wanted to push a particular applicant to be accepted by the RA wouldn’t utilize such a person for recommendations. And I find it incredibly unlikely that a delegate would appoint a resident to become a minister just to use them to recommend themselves for a subsequent citizenship appeal. If they want the person to become a minister, they could have this process happen first and then simply appoint them, much easier.

The process from the Boston Amendment would potentially be best used down the road for people who either do not want to be or would not be likely to be accepted through this appeal process. I would say that if such a person couldn’t pass muster in this process, it seems hard to imagine they could succeed with the appointment exception, but I’m sure there are some scenarios where that may be the case. It’s an option on the table that can be utilized in the future and I don’t see why this citizenship appeal means that we should throw it out. We put a lot of things into place that we don’t necessarily use all the time, and maybe some things that were inspired by or resulted from events or scenarios that simply are not commonplace anymore, we don’t go around repealing them do we?

Now I want to get a better sense for where people stand as it relates to the two approaches to this bill. There are still too few people engaging with this bill and I highly doubt they are the only ones with an opinion or planning to vote on either version of it. Please speak up, this is a significant bill.

I honestly think I prefer the non-express version. The kind of bad actors we are going to be reasonably worried about probably won't be remotely worried about being WA locked (considering the most damaging nefarious activities require it) and it honestly seems like too much of a fast-track than what we would otherwise want.

Full support. When I wrote The Boston Amendment, I didn't think a bona fide alternate path to citizenship, even for exceptional individuals such as Boston/Hulldom, was feasible. Your bill looks to be on track to prove me wrong. It's a good compromise between modernization and security. If a swarm of malicious puppets or bad actors is getting citizenship this way, they've either all spent months and months contributing to TNP without raising any suspicion (at which point, any of them could easily win office legitimately for much less effort than the infiltration thing), or the RA is rubberstamping appeals (at which point we've got much bigger problems than the malicious applicants).

Amendment:
14. If the appeal is granted, the Regional Assembly shall immediately debate the rejection and will hold a majority vote on whether to uphold it.[emphasis mine]
15. The Regional Assembly may overturn a previous decision to uphold the rejection of an applicant by majority vote, unless forum administration has passed the applicant in a subsequent citizenship application, in which case the previous decision to uphold the rejection is automatically overturned.
Do you mean "debate the appeal"? "Vote aye if you want Applicant to keep getting denied citizenship" sounds needlessly confusing. I know it's similar language to the VD check provision, but VD check rejections don't get appealed. They just go to the RA.

I honestly think I prefer the non-express version. The kind of bad actors we are going to be reasonably worried about probably won't be remotely worried about being WA locked (considering the most damaging nefarious activities require it) and it honestly seems like too much of a fast-track than what we would otherwise want.
Agreed.

I'll add my preference towards the non-express version as well.

Full support. When I wrote The Boston Amendment, I didn't think a bona fide alternate path to citizenship, even for exceptional individuals such as Boston/Hulldom, was feasible. Your bill looks to be on track to prove me wrong. It's a good compromise between modernization and security. If a swarm of malicious puppets or bad actors is getting citizenship this way, they've either all spent months and months contributing to TNP without raising any suspicion (at which point, any of them could easily win office legitimately for much less effort than the infiltration thing), or the RA is rubberstamping appeals (at which point we've got much bigger problems than the malicious applicants).

Do you mean "debate the appeal"? "Vote aye if you want Applicant to keep getting denied citizenship" sounds needlessly confusing. I know it's similar language to the VD check provision, but VD check rejections don't get appealed. They just go to the RA.
So what? The RA votes on whether to uphold the rejection in both cases. One automatically gets to a vote, the other needs to get there via appeal. Either way, the point is for them to decide if the rejection stands or not. I think it makes perfect sense and isn’t confusing. It seems more confusing to me to have what is basically the same process working the opposite way.

Anyway, I have spent quite some time trying to get a sense for the preferred balance of security vs. access, and which approach you guys wanted to go with. Based on the feedback I have received, including the delegate’s, I feel the best way forward is to present my original bill to the Regional Assembly. I would like to call for a vote later this week, so I invite you all to take another look at the current version of the bill (still on the first post) and offer any additional thoughts or input that may yet be unshared.

Reading through again - I don't think I have much to add. Though - is it intended for recommendations to be valid for infinitely long periods, since Clause 15 is phrased in the same way as Clause 9, and there is no mention of the need for appeals again. Or am I reading wrongly?

Reading through again - I don't think I have much to add. Though - is it intended for recommendations to be valid for infinitely long periods, since Clause 15 is phrased in the same way as Clause 9, and there is no mention of the need for appeals again. Or am I reading wrongly?
I suppose recommendations are “infinitely valid” if an appeal ends up being successful. That’s not quite how I would look at it though - once the RA hears their appeal, they either uphold the rejection or they don’t. If they uphold it, we don’t want it to be possible for the person to appeal indefinitely and forever - you get one. If you want the RA to reconsider, just like with the VD check you have them debate the matter all over again. It’s during this process that people who previously provided recommendations could stand by what they said before or change their minds. But the recommendations as a condition for an appeal are obviously only important the one time they’re needed for the appeal to be valid. And since you only get one, however it turns out, it doesn’t matter how formal a recommendation is - it becomes like any other citizen recommending the applicant when their potential citizenship is before the RA for debate.

Back